• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Moriarty starts a new Patreon/YouTube channel about History and Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe2187

Banned
Wait, wait- This guy is making 20k a month now??

Uhh... With all due respect to Colin- What is his authority to speak intelligently on either subject? Why does he deserve that kind of money?

The Authority to say absolutely nothing of value while being on the fence and playing the victim while making "moderate" comments that also have a very clear leaning bias.

Ugqc.jpg

Two Words

The dumbest part is that he is asking for $20k a month and plans to output, at most, about 2 hours of video content a month. And he has the nerve to act like this is a good offering because he has to do a lot of reading. This is going to have to be some high production and well-researched content if it is that short. I have a feeling that it is largely going to be lightly-researched opinionated rants.

so he wasted his parents money and now he's wasting his fans money.

But most History majors become line cooks anyways. Student loans don't pay themselves.

Out of all the things you can actually criticize Colin about, him having a B.A. in American History is something you think is worth shitting on, after having a very successful career in games journalism and on his own venture?

The dumbest part is that he is asking for $20k a month and plans to output, at most, about 2 hours of video content a month. And he has the nerve to act like this is a good offering because he has to do a lot of reading. This is going to have to be some high production and well-researched content if it is that short. I have a feeling that it is largely going to be lightly-researched opinionated rants.

He was asking for 10K a month for 2 videos a week.

Don't know what he's gonna do with 20K, doubt it's gonna hold at that mark though.

Spaghetti

An appropriate name considering the hills he chooses to die on.
This post.

*chef kiss*

Colin is just going to double down on his rhetoric. At some point, a lot of the people who defended him are going to drop him like a hot bag of dogshit when he finally goes off a cliff edge and says something even the most ardent apologist will think twice about - which is inevitable as he seems to want to further insulate himself into an echo chamber where he's never challenged.

Also, there's very little value in political commentary from a man into his 30s who thinks Objectivism is relevant or rational; it's an ideology for nihilistic teenagers (which may well be Colin's audience, who knows?)

Wait, wait- This guy is making 20k a month now??

Uhh... With all due respect to Colin- What is his authority to speak intelligently on either subject? Why does he deserve that kind of money?

It's not that he has any kind of authority or insight. People are paying him money so that he can tell them they were right all along.

Marquis

Banned
You're talking about a single tweet - it's impossible to get the full story from 140 characters. There could be many explanations - that Colin thought he was the best candidate amongst the nominees that Trump's administration had picked, that he wasn't aware of his past, etc. There's no need to immediately yell "racist!". Doing this only gives Colin and similar figures more ammunition to pull the victim card, which is a legitimate defense for a situation like this, where a comment is blown up out of proportion.

A racist tweet is still a racist tweet. Is there a quota that must be reached before you are considered a racist?

LiK

Agree. It's a pretty sweet gig compared to the amount of videos he had to do for KF.

Busaiku

This post.

*chef kiss*

Colin is just going to double down on his rhetoric. At some point, a lot of the people who defended him are going to drop him like a hot bag of dogshit when he finally goes off a cliff edge and says something even the most ardent apologist will think twice about - which is inevitable as he seems to want to further insulate himself into an echo chamber where he's never challenged.
You really think the people defending him don't share his views.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
A racist tweet is still a racist tweet. Is there a quota that must be reached before you are considered a racist?

I think the line for some starts by punching non white people, at least that's the feeling I get when I read all the dumb excuses.

sym30l1c

Awesome, more revisionist history from Colin's Americentric point of view...

I can't wait for the bias, the bullshit and the ignorance...actually I can, I'll think with my own head and use my own knowledge instead of being lectured by Colin, of all people...

Maxim726X

The Authority to say absolutely nothing of value while being on the fence and playing the victim while making "moderate" comments that also have a very clear leaning bias.

Eh... Irrespective of his political leanings, I'm just amazed that people are so willing to throw their money at something like this. And quite a lot of it, for someone who has as much authority to speak on such issues as you or I do.

I like the "Colin Was Right" series but I don't know about him delving entirely into politics and history. I'll just have to wait and see what he puts out.

On the topic of his patreon, I didn't know he was that popular on his own. 20k just like that is crazy.

LifEndz

The dumbest part is that he is asking for $20k a month and plans to output, at most, about 2 hours of video content a month.

I mean...is it dumb if someone is willing to give it to you? I'm not a Colin fan, but I can't knock the hustle. 20k a month to give his take on politics and history without having to worry about how it affects others? Dude is living the dream.

You're talking about a single tweet - it's impossible to get the full story from 140 characters. There could be many explanations - that Colin thought he was the best candidate amongst the nominees that Trump's administration had picked, that he wasn't aware of his past, etc. There's no need to immediately yell "racist!". Doing this only gives Colin and similar figures more ammunition to pull the victim card, which is a legitimate defense for a situation like this, where a comment is blown up out of proportion.

Plenty of people make lengthy series of tweets when they feel they have to thoroughly explain their position. If someone restricts their viewpoint to 140 characters, it's because they feel those characters fully encompass their viewpoint. Them getting to hide behind the character limit is nonsense. Tweets are free; send out more if the viewpoint is that deep and nuanced!

At all of you begrudging the money Colin is set to make monthly​

zubaTSp.jpg

Hahahaha. I could jump up and down I swear, all of you saying the wildest shit about this dude and tryna slander him and it didn't work. He bounced right back up.

Marquis

Banned
I have this feeling that this show is somehow will end up back under KF.

Hahahaha. I could jump up and down I swear, all of you saying the wildest shit about this dude and tryna slander him and it didn't work. He bounced right back up.

How much are you getting from the 20k?

Kinsei

Banned

zubaTSp.jpg

It's not slander if it's true.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Will be interesting to see if it lasts.

I'd like to think the show will become boring and repetitive;

Some of this. Not surprised with all of the buzz that he's doing well out the gate. The question will be if people give a fuck long term.

Calderc

zubaTSp.jpg

It's funny you somehow see this as a personal victory for yourself. You're not getting any of that 20k for defending his honour, simmer down.

Jacce

Banned

zubaTSp.jpg

No one is salty, no one is surprised he is doing this.

He spouts out racist/sexist nonsense and gets the support of the alt-right. That is par for the course. Have fun being on the side of racism and sexism. I am sure it's a lot of fun over there.

Lulubop

zubaTSp.jpg

Lol wtf. You're coming off like you worship the ground this man walks on.

Sabas

Banned

It's not slander if he's the one with shitty views, dude.

zubaTSp.jpg

Do you just ignore some of the ignorant political shit he says?

Maxim726X

Well, I mean if winning means burning bridges with people in the gaming industry who once supported him, then I guess $20k/month is a good consolation prize.

... Who would give a shit about that if they're making ~250k a year?

Relatively sure no one would, that's who.

Tagg9

Plenty of people make lengthy series of tweets when they feel they have to thoroughly explain their position. If someone restricts their viewpoint to 140 characters, it's because they feel those characters fully encompass their viewpoint. Them getting to hide behind the character limit is nonsense. Tweets are free; send out more if the viewpoint is that deep and nuanced!

I do agree with this, and think that Colin is too flippant when it comes to tweeting. But nothing I've heard Colin say in long form during his podcasts leads me to believe that he's racist, sexist, or the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom