• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Moriarty starts a new Patreon/YouTube channel about History and Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colin's Last Stand? Geez...

Well, considering I've been a Beyond fan since the early days I wish him the best but I won't be contributing nor subscribing. He has disappointed me quite a bit in the last year or so and I'm kinda fearing how low he's gonna fall with his politics now that he's no longer part of a videogame organization.

Expect it to get a ~$50k bump after his Rogan appearance. God dammit, Joe.

Rogan is such a useful idiot for the alt-right. He's problem is he believes in the "Both sides are roughly equally bad" narrative and will give weight to all sides. Politics aside he's also had Bigfoot hunters, the Ancient Aliens guy and other kooks on his show and engages them in a serious debate.

I generally like him as a person but he really is out of his depth on every topic except for psychedelic drugs. I find that even his MMA analysis was suspect when he started fawning over Ronda Rousey's supposed elite striking.

ezekial45

Banned
I've no idea what the term diet racism means, but in my mind you are either racist or you're not. I can't find any of his tweets regarding BLM. You're really reaching if you think he endorsed Jeff Sessions because of his racist past.

Diet-Racism: Having racist beliefs, thoughts, and comments, but actively go out of your way to prove you're not racist. Even going as far as to claim that being called a 'racist' is harmful as being called the n-word or other ethnic slurs.

That's Colin Moriarty.

Zoggy

I'm sure he'll do tons of reading and research and drop on us the hot take of "you know, it was actually the REPUBLICANS who freed the slaves!?!!? #themoreyouknow"

sasliquid

Man when Black History Month rolls around it'll be interesting considering the majority of his patreons may hate the idea

he will ignore it I'd guess

I've no idea what the term diet racism means, but in my mind you are either racist or you're not. I can't find any of his tweets regarding BLM. You're really reaching if you think he endorsed Jeff Sessions because of his racist past.

I assume by diet racism he means someone who won't say outright racist things, but says stuff that is more subtly racist.

Mikey Jr.

Damn.

I was hoping that maybe he would come back to Kinda Funny some way.

But, nope. Looks like he's gone for good. 20k on Patreon, and leaving SF. Fuck.

Honestly, he brought balance to KF. Him and Greg really worked well together. Dammit.

M.W.

This fuck bucket has another thread? I thought the last thread about him leaving KFG would be the last.

Lime

I can't wait for intriguing analysis and outline of historical topics like:

"The Nazis were bad, but the Jews and Romas were also bad"

"Why there were no winners when women got the right to vote"

"What BLM could learn from being as gentle as the Civil Rights Movement"

"How White Europeans brought logic, civilization and math to the Americas and Africa"

Calderc

Rogan is such a useful idiot for the alt-right. He's problem is he believes in the "Both sides are roughly equally bad" narrative and will give weight to all sides. Politics aside he's also had Bigfoot hunters, the Ancient Aliens guy and other kooks on his show and engages them in a serious debate.

I generally like him as a person but he really is out of his depth on every topic except for psychedelic drugs. I find that even his MMA analysis was suspect when he started fawning over Ronda Rousey's supposed elite striking.

I like Rogan and love his podcast, but I can't disagree when you call him a useful idiot for the alt-right. I think he just finds them funny in a provicative way, but having them on perpetuates the cycle of shit and he's attracted quite the shithead following for it.

I still don't think he's alt-right in any way but he's sure suckin' thst dick.

klonere

Banned
Who knew hate and ignorance could be so profitable?

He's entering a long, storied line of work populated by people like Glen Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, Alex Jones, TV preachers and most people employed by the Fox News network.

It pays well, is very secure and you'll never be short of customers!

Who knew hate and ignorance could be so profitable?

*Looks around at the top political outlets and pundits*

*Looks at the top political people on YouTube*

*Looks at big alt-right / far-right personalities*

I did! Unfortunately it's just part of the nature of the Internet and YouTube as a platform.

Calderc

I also really don't get the mindset of people who see this sitting at 20k and think 'Hmm, he needs my money too'. Why?!

FyreWulff

Man the alt right really is a gravy train isn't it.

it's the cycle.

bootstrap via videogames, move to thing not about games and get money, get altrights to give you cash to "fight the good fight" while never committing one way or the other.

same shit Milo, Eron Gionji, etc all did.

all this pretty much shows is no gaming outlet wanted to touch him, and the industry is better off without him anyway. He's just making content for the same echo chamber PragerU/Brietbart cover on that side.

The hilarious part is the altrighters used to fucking loathe Patreon and had a virtual boycott of it in previous years because "the es jaw dubs" were using it, now they're on it too.

The thing about about being a conservative hero unit though is once you step even an inch out of the line they bury you. He might have felt chained before, but it's gonna turn out those cuffs were a bit softer than the new ones.

This is one of the weirdest things I've seen on the internet. This is like giving $20,000 per month to a line cook to produce a video series about deontic logic or to a random ballet dancer to produce videos about operating a lathe. It would be hard to find a guy less deserving of hundreds of thousands of dollars to discuss politics and history.

Why, internet? Why?

Jacce

Banned

That is the point. He endorsed him DESPITE the extreme racist past. The fact he thinks Sessions will be a great AG despite Sessions record of explicitly targeting minorities is a text book example of diet racism.

His tweets mocking of BLM protesting is buried off in the old thread.

it's the cycle.

bootstrap via videogames, move to thing not about games and get money, get altrights to give you cash to "fight the good fight" while never committing one way or the other.

same shit Milo, Eron Gionji, etc all did.

all this pretty much shows is no gaming outlet wanted to touch him, and the industry is better off without him anyway. He's just making content for the same echo chamber PragerU/Brietbart cover on that side, and there's already more introspective history channels on the youtubes.

The hilarious part is the altrighters used to fucking loathe Patreon and had a virtual boycott of it in previous years because "the es jaw dubs" were using it, now they're on it too.

Of course, alt-righters aren't the brightest bulb in the box, but they are easily swayed by the money train.

This is one of the weirdest things I've seen on the internet. This is like giving $20,000 per month to a line cook to produce a video series about deontic logic or to a random ballet dancer to produce videos about operating a lathe. It would be hard to find a guy less deserving of hundreds of thousands of dollars to discuss politics and history.

Why, internet? Why?

If I knew anything at all, I'd be in on this racket myself.

I'm over the moon about it. I'm so happy for you Colin and after listening to you on podcasts and reading your articles for 9 years I will be supporting you on this endeavor.

After all the hatred and toxicity that was doing and continues to be hurled at your on the internet and on GAF I'm glad you're laughing all the way to the bank. Let's see Arthur Gies, Justin Davis or any other industry person who talked shit make close to 20k a month.

The Ummah

Banned
I also really don't get the mindset of people who see this sitting at 20k and think 'Hmm, he needs my money too'. Why?!

People really want him to "win", and by any means necessary. Those "I STAND WITH COLIN" people were dead serious...

I still see this total being doubled, at least. Ugh.

Edit: ^

moggio

Banned
I'm over the moon about it. I'm so happy for you Colin and after listening to you on podcasts and reading your articles for 9 years I will be supporting you on this endeavor.

After all the hatred and toxicity that was doing and continues to be hurled at your on the internet and on GAF I'm glad you're laughing all the way to the bank. Let's see Arthur Gies, Justin Davis or any other industry person who talked shit make close to 20k a month.

small-violin.gif

Quonny

He's clearly laughing. That's why he had to run away from all criticism and form his own bubble.

Because he's laughing.

hatred and toxicity = calling him out for his shitty ass views?

hawk2025

And therein the loop is completed:

Colin is the victim that has overcome adversity. You are a fucking mark.

Why, internet? Why?

Eh... Say what you want about Colin (I'd probably agree with you), but the dude has a B.A. in American History. You comparing him to a line cook doesn't add up.

Calderc

The death of independent thought.

If I knew anything at all, I'd be in on this racket myself.

For years, I was confused by the idea of paying money to watch someone else play video games. But then I learned that some people pay money to watch other people eat food. That confused me even more. Then I found out that some truly disturbed folks pay money to watch other people stomp on small animals. That really threw me for a loop.

But now I've learned that some people are spending money watching Colin Moriarty talk about history and politics. And now I've lost hope.

damn the amount of money gaming pundits can raise on patreon is so startling to me. i might be a biased against moriarty since i think he's super mediocre compared to people like drew scanlon and danny o'dwyer, but remember when anita sarkeesian tried to raise money for her video series?

i guess it was mostly due to misogyny that people set out to ruin her life from the start. just really seems unfair that her detractors targeted her and her legitimacy due to her fairly inoffensive political opinions and feminist analysis of games and culture. now it's a few years later and you look and see this sort of independent nerdy video content creation still completely dominated by men who really aren't ashamed to air out every half-baked conservative political opinion that they hold as gospel and are almost always met with adulation from their "anti-PC" fan base.

not really trying to start an argument here, just find it kind of discouraging to compare the situations in context. i know that moriarty has cultivated a pretty popular brand up to this point and that has a lot to do with his immediate financial success as well.

Two Words

Mocks a Native American woman about how cultural appropriation isn't a thing. Two weeks later, makes a new project called "Colin's Last Stand". You can't make this shit up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom