• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

Sadist

Oh man... this is just too much.
Wooley Yoshi is where it's at.

1PANGID.png

I used to read comics all the time when I was younger but I stopped years ago. I now have an interest to start reading them again. Where should I start? I love Marvel comics and those were the only comics I would read. Any recommendations?

You should get a one month Marvel Unlimited subscription to start with. It will give you a chance to sample all the ongoings to see which ones you like (and also to catch up with any good runs you have missed).

Yep, Fresno here! ._.

Actually, it was the one on Blackstone and Ashlan. I used to frequent the one on Nees but everyone goes there now.

It's been so long since I have been to anywhere south of Shaw I had to think about where Ashlan was. lol

I want to get excited for this, I really do. But the timescale he's mentioning for future issues is off-putting.

I'll still grab this new printing if I can find it cheap.
Dude is working on the book after his day job, contributing to an industry that pays garbage. He can be as late as he fuckin wants as far as I care. Anyone who draws comics without a salary from a publisher or mark millar is a god damned saint.
Agree 100 with Birdie on this. Dude is doing his absolute best to make the book as good as possible. As an industry, if we want him to make comics at a monthly or quarterly rate, then we need to throw enough money at him to properly compensate him.

As someone who makes comics in his free time, writing and drawing your own comic takes absolutely forever. I've done 80+ pages in about 3 years. And I put in about 20-25 hrs a week.

I used to read comics all the time when I was younger but I stopped years ago. I now have an interest to start reading them again. Where should I start? I love Marvel comics and those were the only comics I would read. Any recommendations?
Hey Jinx! Welcome! I highly recommend getting a Marvel Unlimited subscription. Think of it as a netflix for Marvel. You dont get to own anything and the service can be a bit wonky but its a hell of a deal.

I recommend Ellis's Nextwave for your first read!

More Luther Strode this month? Awww yiss
Im in for the Trad Moore artwork because the story is pretty thin

PsychBat!

Banned
Just finished Black Science #13. It was okay.
Death didn't surprise me these last 12 issues, it doesn't surprise me now.

Just bought my first actual comic today (I've previously bought Ys and Invincible graphic novels but never a legit comic book). I got Ant Man 1, 2, and 3. Also got two huge preview books. Its kinda daunting figuring out whats what. Sooo many series.

Anything in particular that's out now or coming up I should take a close look at? I'm gonna order Star Wars and Darth Vader. Are there any comics about space exploration or the unknown in space? And is there any that are cyberpunk?

Keep in mind: my knowledge of comics are limited to what I know from movies. I'm a total noob. :b

Just bought my first actual comic today (I've previously bought Ys and Invincible graphic novels but never a legit comic book). I got Ant Man 1, 2, and 3. Also got two huge preview books. Its kinda daunting figuring out whats what. Sooo many series.

Anything in particular that's out now or coming up I should take a close look at? I'm gonna order Star Wars and Darth Vader. Are there any comics about space exploration or the unknown in space? And is there any that are cyberpunk?

Check out my post on the last page for some basic recommendations/books to check out.

Dunno bout any cyberpunk stuff. Maybe Rai?

Check out my post on the last page for some basic recommendations/books to check out.

Dunno bout any cyberpunk stuff. Maybe Rai?

Spider Gwen looks cool. I'll put that on my watch list. What's the consensus on Spiderman 2099?

Also, what's convergence? DC characters are fighting their variations from different series? I was gonna buy a Suicide Squad at the comic store today but the guy working there told me I might want to consider waiting until convergence is over to see the new squad.

Spider Gwen looks cool. I'll put that on my watch list. What's the consensus on Spiderman 2099?

Also, what's convergence? DC characters are fighting their variations from different series? I was gonna buy a Suicide Squad at the comic store today but the guy working there told me I might want to consider waiting until convergence is over to see the new squad.

Replace Spider-Man 2099 with the first Nowhere Men and Black Science trade paperbacks.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Just noticed this week's Marvel Unlimited book club showcase is Nextwave

You did good MU, you did good

Bii

It's been so long since I have been to anywhere south of Shaw I had to think about where Ashlan was. lol

Yeah, not much happening south of Shaw. A lot of new housing developments and businesses are avoiding central Fresno for good reason.

you'll see

Um, wow, did that just happen? Do not highlight if you haven't read Black Science #13.
Did they just torched Pia!?

Crap, I thought I had the NBA thread open. My bad friends.

Let's talk. How about that killer crossover by Steph last night? Even my casual friends are talking about it.

Yeah, not much happening south of Shaw. A lot of new housing developments and businesses are avoiding central Fresno for good reason.

Um, wow, did that just happen? Do not highlight if you haven't read Black Science #13.
Did they just torched Pia!?

Let's talk. How about that killer crossover by Steph last night? Even my casual friends are talking about it.

Can we not? I'm a Knicks fan.

:(

JEKKI

it's a brand new month!!

and noooooo~!!! I have a problem! :(

worry not, it's a good problem to have, but a problem nonetheless.

There's enough trades out now that I want, but it'll cost me like $200+ to buy them all, which I dont wanna spend all at once,

so I was jus gonna spread it out within the next few months,

but I still needa spend $50+ at instocktrades to get free shipping

so.... what should I buy?!?!

Kevin Smith Green Arrow: $50
Sex Criminals HC: $23
Doom Patrol Omnibus: $87
Empowered Unchained: $11.50
Saga HC + vol 4: $29 + $8.50
Emily & The Strangers: $7.50

note the following discretionary items:
I've already read first 2 vol of Saga, figured may as well get the deluxe version though.
I also want Afterlife with Archie, which for some reason isnt on IST
I also want the Armor Hunters deluxe, which isnt out yet but may come out before I'm done purchasing this list.

So what recommended do I purchase first in which $50+ combo?!?!

it's a brand new month!!

and noooooo~!!! I have a problem! :(

worry not, it's a good problem to have, but a problem nonetheless.

There's enough trades out now that I want, but it'll cost me like $200+ to buy them all, which I dont wanna spend all at once,

so I was jus gonna spread it out within the next few months,

but I still needa spend $50+ at instocktrades to get free shipping

so.... what should I buy?!?!

note the following discretionary items:
I've already read first 2 vol of Saga, figured may as well get the deluxe version though.
I also want Afterlife with Archie, which for some reason isnt on IST
I also want the Armor Hunters deluxe, which isnt out yet but may come out before I'm done purchasing this list.

So what recommended do I purchase first in which $50+ combo?!?!

Doom Patrol. Everyone needs to read Doom Patrol.

JEKKI

see above
lol why the no on KS Green Arrow? I've been waiting long time for it to come out =P

and Emily the Strange is awesome! although I've heard the "Strangers" series isnt so good, but I like the character and her main trades enough to be curious about it.

ok then, I'll pick up Saga and Sex Crims, save the rest for later!

-edit-

Doom Patrol. Everyone needs to read Doom Patrol.
lol darn one post too late,

Doom Patrol will be May's pickup them!

Doomay Patrol!

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Definitely check out the bolded. I'm sure people--Birdie--aren't going to recommend picking up Kevin Smith/Hester's Quiver, but I love that little run and I've been looking forward to a reprint for forever. It's his best comics work (ain't saying much, I know, but I really enjoyed it last time I read it).

Also, Doom Patrol is the best investment you can make right now in your life. The best.

JEKKI

JEKKI buy Doom Patrol

Also, Doom Patrol is the best investment you can make right now in your life. The best.
lol the Doom Patrol scales have been tipped! ok NVM I'm buying that then =P

it's actually a real good choice! I remember I saved up $1000+ in 2014 doing the 52 week challenge and wanted to spend some of that on Doom Patrol, but ended up using the money to pay my credit card off instead lol.

and also wtheck is up with Resurrectionists?!?! When did it go digital only?!?!

I freakin added it to my pull list weeks ago like yo where's issue 5??

poor Fred Van Lente, he's like the best writer everyone is sleeping on...

his 12 issue run on Magnus Robot Fighter for Dynamite was amazing!!

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I'm losing faith/interest/whatever in Black Science. It's become the Remender book that I keep pulling simply because of how great Deadly Class and Low are.

lol the Doom Patrol scales have been tipped! ok NVM I'm buying that then =P

it's actually a real good choice! I remember I saved up $1000+ in 2014 doing the 52 week challenge and wanted to spend some of that on Doom Patrol, but ended up using the money to pay my credit card off instead lol.

and also wtheck is up with Resurrectionists?!?! When did it go digital only?!?!

I freakin added it to my pull list weeks ago like yo where's issue 5??

poor Fred Van Lente, he's like the best writer everyone is sleeping on...

his 12 issue run on Magnus Robot Fighter for Dynamite was amazing!!

Van Lente is a really solid writer. Really enjoyed his BND Spider-Man work. I think he's mostly doing work on Archie these days?

Filthy Slug

I stopped pulling it to tradewait on it. I haven't bought the second trade yet whoops.

Haha, I may be joining you on that one. Book may get KIPP'd.

this is how i feel about most Remender books. They just lose me.

Really? Deadly Class and Low have been the exact opposite for me: Each new issue has drawn me in more, especially Deadly Class. I'd have no problem saying Deadly Class is one of the books I most look forward to every month it's out. Also, both DC and Low didn't hook me until a few issues in.

Haha, I may be joining you on that one. Book may get KIPP'd.

Really? Deadly Class and Low have been the exact opposite for me: Each new issue has drawn me in more, especially Deadly Class. I'd have no problem saying Deadly Class is one of the books I most look forward to every month it's out. Also, both DC and Low didn't hook me until a few issues in.

I stopped reading Deadly Class. It was entertaining but I just stopped picking it up. Haven't read Low yet.

this is how i feel about most Remender books. They just lose me.
Here's my take on his current books. Low is awesome and the art is gorgeous. Deadly class had a cool concept in issue one and abondoned it in issue 2. Which I've never seen done before But it's still a fun book. Black science is inconsistent. Uncanny Avengers is a mess.

Top Bottom