• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG: Microsoft to reveal 'major 3rd party game' comes free with X1 [MCV: FIFA 14]

If it is Fifa then this is a huge, pricey win for Microsoft. That being said, Fifa is as casual as they come, so I get the feeling that most of those players are happy playing Fifa on their current consoles rather than updating.

I expect this to be the case in the first year, most wont wait till November or 2014 to play fifa14 so will buy on PS3/360 especially at eithers price tag.

Well it stinks anyway. Xbox always had a bit of a high EA share with Mattrick going to MS and now Peter Moore as head of EA Sports.

And instead of funding studios or new IP's the only thing MS does is closing studios, paying 400 million dollar for an exclusive NFL deal and throwing millions of dollars for timed exclusive GTAIV content and now Fifa maybe.

They could have funded new projects themselves with that crazy-ass money.

EDIT: I would really like to see a PS4 PES relationship blossomming from this

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Regardless of whether you think this is a system seller or not, you have to admit it's an added incentive. It's a big bonus to persuade people over to the Xbox camp. I still think the PS4 releasing earlier (much earlier in Tier 2 countries) and cheaper will make it the winner this holiday season, but a bundled-in FIFA will give the Xbox One a significant boost.

Raide

Kinect features will exist in FIFA, probably mere voice commands but it will add to the game. PS4 will still have the graphical edge but the price advantage is almost no more. FIFA is a game most europeans will want with their console.

Hopefully they looked at the Kinect Sports football option and made some Fifa Kinect Training thing. Half fitness game, half Fifa.

keit4

Banned
Hypothetical question: How could it be the best selling console in the UK if Sony will have more PS4 stock this year?

Oh well, i forgot about that point. Anyways, if i remember correctly we don't know how much stock MS will have for the UK this fall. We only have heard about the total worldwide.

You don't think video chatting powered by Skype is a highly sought after feature?

Maybe... if most people didn't own three or four devices already which could do the exact same thing.

Man... every time someone brings up the "added value" Kinect brings... I just picture disingenuous-ass Don Mattrick, and hear the PR drip-feed at work.

chadskin

Kinect features will exist in FIFA, probably mere voice commands but it will add to the game. PS4 will still have the graphical edge but the price advantage is almost no more. FIFA is a game most europeans will want with their console.

FIFA is by no means a graphical benchmark. I bet you won't even notice a difference if you compare them side by side. Especially given that EA and MS are in bed now.

Moobabe

Regardless of whether you think this is a system seller or not, you have to admit it's an added incentive. It's a big bonus to persuade people over to the Xbox camp. I still think the PS4 releasing earlier (much earlier in Tier 2 countries) and cheaper will make it the winner this holiday season, but a bundled-in FIFA will give the Xbox One a significant boost.

Your second point is the most important one - how many European countries are we looking at for X1 this year? For the rest of the countries in Europe you can ONLY buy FIFA on PS4.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The bundle will probably only be for the "Day-One" European allotment, which in reality is not THAT many consoles.
Why would they bundle in a game to persuade people who already bought the console? Just to avoid cancellations?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Simple math really. PS4 with Fifa 14, will be cheaper than the Xbox One Fifa 14 bundle AND possibly might launch a few weeks BEFORE the Xbox. On top of all this, Fifa 14 on current gen consoles will launch a MONTH before next gen. This doesn't scream smart business decision, it screams desperation from Microsoft.

This is like classic MS of feeling that they've made a huge move without considering what they're getting into.

"Euro preorders are down, what's the biggest game over there?"
"Well sir it's FIFA, but..."
"Quick, pack in FIFA with all our consoles for free. THAT'S HOW THE WARS ARE WON FOLKS. BOOM."

Simple math really. PS4 with Fifa 14, will be cheaper than the Xbox One Fifa 14 bundle AND possibly might launch a few weeks BEFORE the Xbox. On top of all this, Fifa 14 on current gen consoles will launch a MONTH before next gen. This doesn't scream smart business decision, it screams desperation from Microsoft.

How do you know that when we don't know either console's release date yet? Or are you assuming Xb1 will release in late November?

Hello,

Just to clarify, "unique exclusive" as in exclusive bundle, or exclusive deal, or exclusively free. Not an outright exclusive game, as far as I know.

Apologies if I hadn't made that clear enough in the article. Am traveling but will tweak text when possible

FIFA confirmed :p

Iacobellis

But they won't now will they.

Any XBO stock that would have gone to the other Euro countries at launch will now be channelled to the launch country locations. MS should have more then enough.

If anything. It's Sony that may be spreading themselves too thin.

Your tag doesn't make sense.

Hydrargyrus

Microsoft seems to be desperate right now.

But for those who are in Europe, are allowed to but One and are going to buy it, even before of knowing what game is, it's a great new!

bill0527

This could change shit drastically for me personally if they do a different pack in for North America. Lets say they could bundle in Madden 25, and I would have a very serious choice to make this holiday. A choice that has been a no brainer up to this point. I have day 1 launch editions of both PS4 and Xbox One pre ordered at Amazon and had planned on canceling XBone at some point before it releases. I'm hanging on as long as I can to see if Microsoft sweetens the deal.

Apath

If you want to continue with a regular console with not futuristic vision go ahead and buy your PS4 and never get out of the old gaming box.

People still don't understand MS is trying to do cool stuff with the Kinect and are trying to sell the whole thing as a bundle. I have no problem with that. Thanks goodness for variety.
It's the future of nothing until it proves its value and reason to exist. Thus far it has been nothing but a gimmick that, at best, has expanded the menu functions of the system.

Anth1888

Your second point is the most important one - how many European countries are we looking at for X1 this year? For the rest of the countries in Europe you can ONLY buy FIFA on PS4.

The UK seems like a target market for Microsoft and this deal will add a little incentive to help to keep their current marketshare. Especially if the PS4 is the first console you can play next-gen FIFA if it launches in October.

I thought all of the pre-orders were already spoken for?

Exactly my point earlier. Either MS has sold through or the situation is so dire they are afraid the now limited countries they are launching in run the risk of not selling through. If you believe this rumor I am not sure how this makes the situation MS is in with Europe look very good at all.

chadskin

Fifa 2014 won't really help for the EU countries getting Xbone in 2014 will it? People who care about Fifa will already have it. Fifa 2014 on PS4 will be the only way to play it next-gen this year. (in some countries!)

There was talk about a free game as a compensation for all the European markets the Xbone got pushed back in. Maybe FIFA is only free for them?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This is like classic MS of feeling that they've made a huge move without considering what they're getting into.

"Euro preorders are down, what's the biggest game over there?"
"Well sir it's FIFA, but..."
"Quick, pack in FIFA with all our consoles for free. THAT'S HOW THE WARS ARE WON FOLKS. BOOM."

MSFT mindlessly spends for success. It caught up to them one time in the past with their court case.

RulkezX

£40 difference is easier to swallow than £80.

I could probably convince myself that Kinect was worth the extra £40.

This will see a swing in pre orders, MS will do everything they can to associate FIFA with the Xbox brand now.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I don't care about the bundle. £429 is still much for a next gen console. MS must be near pure panic mode at the moment and trying everything they can to 'add value' rather then admit they were wrong and back track on that price.

Stupid MS.

Let's say that it is FIFA....

-PS4 + FIFA is still cheaper.
-X1 pre-orders are already maxed out, so this won't increase any sales during launch?
-PS4 will almost certainly be launching earlier and in more European countries than the X1 anyway. Are people in Sweden really going to wait for months after FIFA is released and available on PS4 just so they can get it packed in with an X1 in ~March 2014?

It would be a cool gesture from MS, it's good whatever the game is, but I don't see it being much of a gamechanger really.

Perkel

Banned
So this mean FIFA will be postponed till Xbox release ?

If not it will be pointless as people will already buy it for their past gen and PS4.

Rourkey

The FIFA contract actually says that the game should come out on viable platforms, it gives EA some leeway at the start if the gen when neither the PS4 or XB1 have sold any units, and neither could be argued are yet viable.

There won't be many of either console sold this holiday (relative to 360/PS3 install base) so why not take any guaranteed money, perhaps Fifa will have some of the cash too.

Still think its Titanfall though

Top Bottom