• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III Gamescom Demo Impressions + Footage

mcz117chief

And the classic mistake is back yet again, characters with shields don't use them when they attack. I don't get it, why do characters in pretty much every game swing their shield arm wildly during sword attacks resulting in the shield being anywhere but in front, what is the point of the shield if you don't use it to protect yourself :/

Foffy

Banned
I can't exactly tell due to cam quality, but is the feature of being stained with blood from Bloodborne carried over to Dark Souls III, as well?

Some of the footage looks like Bloodborne meets Dark Souls I, and for me, that is kind of worth being hype for.

Gbraga

Hopefully that doesn't mean they overlooked rolling with O while blocking again. Not a fan of L3 jumping, but if I can't roll while running otherwise...

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
And the classic mistake is back yet again, characters with shields don't use them when they attack. I don't get it, why do characters in pretty much every game swing their shield arm wildly during sword attacks resulting in the shield being anywhere but in front, what is the point of the shield if you don't use it to protect yourself :/

So you think that if the player attacks an enemy during the enemy's attack the enemy should just block it? That's anathema to the core mechanics of the series. The spear exists specifically for the situation you describe. The game would be worse off if every weapon worked that way, despite being "authentic" or whatever you're asking for.

I can't exactly tell due to cam quality, but is the feature of being stained with blood from Bloodborne carried over to Dark Souls III, as well?

Some of the footage looks like Bloodborne meets Dark Souls I, and for me, that is kind of worth being hype for.

Yep! I noticed that too. The characters armor was covered with blood.

LMAO

edit: well hey_its_that_dog explained it better, but I think a simple "LMAO" sufficed

Use a Spear like a chump then!

Im going straight baller on my first fun. Fuck Shields

mcz117chief

So you think that if the player attacks an enemy during the enemy's attack the enemy should just block it? That's anathema to the core mechanics of the series. The spear exists specifically for the situation you describe. The game would be worse off if every weapon worked that way, despite being "authentic" or whatever you're asking for.

it just looks weird, counter intuitive and dumb. Also, there is a move r1+forward which knocks shield away so why not use that ?

Xeroblade

I am sort of feeling that with sword arts and parry tied to whatever shield you have equipped, will cut down the many shields we liked to play with. Maybe not, but then again I don't know what I am saying since I used only 2 shields in DS2 and only the grass crest shield in DS1.

Walpurgis

Banned
RiKiIUq.jpg

Kinda reminds me of Tomb of the giants
Love Tomb of Giants. One of my favourite places in Dark Souls.
Thank God. Jumping with O is torture.
Scrub.

I've been trawling through the DreadedCone/Oroboro video and adding other informative bits from the impressions to the OP, notably DC got to fight the fat knight boss (who is hidden somewhere in the demo) and says fat knight has 3 spells, looking like Soul Spear, Soul Geyser, and other spell that is an AOE magic.

Other points:
+ Backstabs have an extremely narrow window, no more backstabbing from the side on human-sized enemies
+ Throwing knife tracks really tightly and flies fast, tracks strafers but not runners, you MUST react to knives in pvp to dodge them, can hit dogs running around with knives
+ L3 jump option is back

Those are great news!

Kieli

Glad they ditched the DSII engine because the movement/inertia and animations didn't sit right with me.

Rich!

looks like demons souls tier world design plus dark souls tier enemy and combat design plus dark souls 2 ui design plus bloodborne pacing and action design

good shit

Neiteio

That appears to be a different boss. Dancer has a flaming sword and a more "Arabian" styled outfit, for lack of a better word. Here's her concept art:

Edit: Or maybe the Dancer transforms after taking a certain amount of damage?
I think they might be the same. I'm reading that the dancer pulls out a second sword, a blue one, when she reaches a certain amount of health. We might be seeing the same design from different sides (and thus different swords).

Finally got to watch the gameplay footage, everything looks good. The 2 hand sword still has some weight behind it.

I hope that dodge roll is the lightest roll you can get. I'd rather not have bloodborne style, low cost, high i frame dodging. Makes it way too easy and mistakes aren't punished like they are in DS1/2 as hard.

Manu

I think they might be the same. I'm reading that the dancer pulls out a second sword, a blue one, when she reaches a certain amount of health. We might be seeing the same design from different sides (and thus different swords).

Watch the TerraMantis video posted above. He's a sub boss before the Dancer, with ice powers.

That's what I was thinking too, it would be weird to have two bosses that were so similar. So I had just assumed they were two different concepts of the same boss, with the "arabian" one being closer to the final design.

EDIT:
Watch the TerraMantis video posted above. He's a sub boss before the Dancer, with ice powers.

Oh, whoops :(

tcrunch

Finished the Oroboro/DreadedCone video, added the notes to the OP, some particular points:

+ DS1-style movement, "DS3 feels like an awesome DS1 DLC"
+ DS1-style stamina, running/sprinting cheap, battle actions very costly
+ DS1-style parrying, but you can only parry with small shields (buckler, target, small leather shield, NOT kite shield, other medium shields, etc)
+ DS1-style "instant" estus healing, chugging allowed
+ Kicking is improved, you can guard break and riposte off kicks
+ Jumping R2 can now also be activated while sprinting, while locked or unlocked, character does not stop to do the weapon animation
+ All weapon combos are strung together very smoothly, R1 L1 R1 is faster than R1 R1 R1
+ DS3 enemy AI is more consistent than in earlier games, DS3 enemy will punish you more for being aggressive
+ DS3 enemy pathfinding is extremely accurate, enemies will sprint around obstacles and find you if you try to cheese them using obstacles
+ 3 bosses: fat knight, dancer, and a secret boss that looked similar to the final boss but also like "an elite knight that crawled toward you", very j-horror, created a !FROSTBITE! status effect, thought it made you take more damage from the boss's attacks
+ Network test in December/January

Finished the Oroboro/DreadedCone video, added the notes to the OP, some particular points:

+ DS1-style parrying, but you can only parry with small shields (buckler, target, small leather shield, NOT kite shield, other medium shields, etc)
+ Jumping R2 can now also be activated while sprinting, while locked or unlocked, character does not stop to do the weapon animation
+ All weapon combos are strung together very smoothly, R1 L1 R1 is faster than R1 R1 R1
+ DS3 enemy AI is more consistent than in earlier games, DS3 enemy will punish you more for being aggressive
+ DS3 enemy pathfinding is extremely accurate, enemies will sprint around obstacles and find you if you try to cheese them using obstacles
+ 3 bosses: fat knight, dancer, and a secret boss that looked similar to the final boss but also like "an elite knight that crawled toward you", very j-horror, created a !FROSTBITE! status effect, thought it made you take more damage from the boss's attacks

Just try to punish dis Zweihander BITCH!

Sorry I am just so excited for more Souls action

Imru’ al-Qays;174299955 said:
Combat looks great, but I'm not sold on the limited number of uses for weapon arts. Seems a bit arbitrary and "gamey."

Ill take it over burning Durability to use special weapon abilities

Plus it gives every weapons unique characteristics

Sounds awesome

All the DS1 mentions are Music to my ears. I hope I get in the Network test, will there be a sign up soon?

Gbraga

Imru’ al-Qays;174299955 said:
Combat looks great, but I'm not sold on the limited number of uses for weapon arts. Seems a bit arbitrary and "gamey."

It's a video game ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Balancing comes first, if they can make it organic, good, if they can't, oh well.

There's also no real explanation to being able to carry countless items from Dark Souls to Bloodborne, item burden definitely makes more sense, but the gamey solution is the better solution for the actual game, so they went with it.

Mandelbo

Sounds neat! If they've introduced a whole new status effect, I wonder if it'll be used anywhere else or if it'll be like Kalameet marking you in that it only happens in a single fight.

Hopefully it's as easy to get into as the DS2 one was! I managed to get into the BB alpha, but that had the added barrier of having to sign up.

Ill take it over burning Durability to use special weapon abilities

Plus it gives every weapons unique characteristics

Sounds awesome

I love everyone weapon having unique characteristics, but I was expecting something more like Bloodborne's transforming weapons, which are balanced around being used as much as you want. DS3's limited use weapon arts seem to imply that the techniques are too powerful to be unlimited, which to me seems like a worse system.

But yeah, it's better than the durability drain system in place in the previous Souls games for sure.

Online:
Peeve
So by dedicated game servers, they mean Dark Souls 3 will be similar to DkS2. Also found out DkS2 had no Peer to Peer involved, at all.
-
Confirmed P2P is NOT in DkS2. The From employee giving presentation/Q&A was almost amazed we thought it had P2P

Bullshit.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
it just looks weird, counter intuitive and dumb. Also, there is a move r1+forward which knocks shield away so why not use that ?

The shield moving during attacks adheres to basic principles of animation and the game looks better for it. If every enemy with a shield held it stiffly while swinging their sword it would look boring and probably very same-y across enemy types.

It would also make the game worse if the optimal tactic for every encounter was "r1+forward, then attack." The way it is now, you have more options. Souls combat is already based on a fairly simple set of actions; they don't need to pare it down further, especially for the sake of realism.

Top Bottom