• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III [Opening Cinematic]

- Reinforce Estus Flask with Estus Shard, also you can have 0 FP Estus and get full HP Estus, and vice versa.

Would I be correct in interpreting this as the player basically having X Estus slots, and they can be split any way between regular and Ash flasks? So if I have a maximum of 5 Estus slots, I can have 4 regular and 1 Ash, or 3 Ash and 2 regular, or 5 Ash and 0 regular, and so on? Seems like a neat and flexible system.

Ryan7556

Neo Member
Would I be correct in interpreting this as the player basically having X Estus slots, and they can be split any way between regular and Ash flasks? So if I have a maximum of 5 Estus slots, I can have 4 regular and 1 Ash, or 3 Ash and 2 regular, or 5 Ash and 0 regular, and so on? Seems like a neat and flexible system.

Yep, that seems to be the case. In the screenshot with
Blacksmith Andre
, one of the text options translated to something along the lines of break down estus, so you may possibly do that there. Though I wonder if it will require some sort of resource to do it each time.

Mman235

Blacksmith Andre
, one of the text options translated to something along the lines of break down estus, so you may possibly do that there. Though I wonder if it will require some sort of resource to do it each time.

If this is confirmed it seems like a great way to make magic/weapon arts really good without being overpowered; they can be super powerful but you have to make a major sacrifice to use them with any regularity.

.JayZii

Banned
What the fuck are you talking about? No one's complaining about 3 weapon slots. No one's complaining about the better netcode. No one's complaining about auto-fade HUD. No one complained when you could use multiple items in Bloodborne. It's not just because it came from Dark Souls II.

You're going the opposite way and defending everything that comes from Dark II from the evil criticism, instead of assuming people like and dislike things from every game.

I also really dislike equip load being separate from stamina, but fine, I can deal with that. The roll and shards mechanics from Dark II were just inferior to me, not just a different take I didn't like, they were bad.

Of course, you can disagree, it's obviously subjective, but if you wouldn't appreciate people telling you that you only disagree because you're a Dark Souls II fanboy and that's unfortunate, don't give other people this bullshit.
Wow, that was quite an extrapolation from what I said, I hope it felt good to vent it out and get it off your chest.

What the fuck I am talking about was a response to somebody else who asked what peoples problems were with a system that came from DS2. I was responding in general to the common reaction of anything to do with DS2 getting overly negative reactions or just discredited, but sure, let's pretend I was specifically coming after you, since you took it so personally. The two comments preceding the question I was responding to were vapid and petulant-sounding with no context. I hope you didn't expect people to extrapolate this long detailed response you've provided from what you had written before. That's putting an awful lot of pressure on other people to read your mind.

I disagree with the negative reactions because the lack of an adaptability stat seems to make it a non issue. We'll see how it goes.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Fuck this shit.

I'm going home. Fuck this game. Fuck everything.
Sorry I missed your nuance.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
B Genius are you allowed to say if there's plenty of NPC's like DS1 and if they go to Firelink when you complete their quests?

That was a big thing i missed in Bloodborne.

I can tell you there are plenty of NPCs, and some really interesting "questlines", but can't say with any certainty where they end up. I'm in a weird position where I'm familiar with the vast majority of the game's content (including NPC events/dialogue/etc.) but haven't played through the game as a complete whole.

Incidentally, that means I still have a great deal to look forward to when the game launches. My playthrough won't be "blind" by any means, but I'll be there piecing everything together with the rest of ya :)

Gbraga

Wow, that was quite an extrapolation from what I said, I hope it felt good to vent it out and get it off your chest.

What the fuck I am talking about was a response to somebody else who asked what peoples problems were with a system that came from DS2. I was responding in general to the common reaction of anything to do with DS2 getting overly negative reactions or just discredited, but sure, let's pretend I was specifically coming after you, since you took it so personally. The two comments preceding the question I was responding to were vapid and petulant-sounding with no context. I hope you didn't expect people to extrapolate this long detailed response you've provided from what you had written before. That's putting an awful lot of pressure on other people to read your mind. I disagree because the lack of an adaptability stat seems to make it a non issue.

Sorry I missed your nuance.

If you read people unhappy about something, you can either assume it's because they didn't like it or because they're on a crusade against a product and you must defend it by attacking them.

You chose the second option, and you're gonna talk about extrapolating?

Again, no one had any issue with the improvements they brought over from Dark II. On the contrary, many of the people who didn't like Dark II were disappointed some of them weren't in Bloodborne, especially jumping on L3 (that I personally don't even like, but it should be in Bloodborne because you can't block at any time like you can in Dark I).

You could just assume we don't like the roll, and you could obviously disagree, but no, it's because people hate everything that has anything to do with Dark Souls II.

They absolutely must not bring back life gems, then. If they do, it'll completely invalidate this resource management aspect.

.JayZii

Banned
If you read people unhappy about something, you can either assume it's because they didn't like it or because they're on a crusade against a product and you must defend it by attacking them.

You chose the second option, and you're gonna talk about extrapolating?

Again, no one had any issue with the improvements they brought over from Dark II. On the contrary, many of the people who didn't like Dark II were disappointed some of them weren't in Bloodborne, especially jumping on L3 (that I personally don't even like, but it should be in Bloodborne because you can't block at any time like you can in Dark I).

You could just assume we don't like the roll, and you could obviously disagree, but no, it's because people hate everything that has anything to do with Dark Souls II.
I didn't attack you. If anything, your comments come across as much more aggressive. I don't think my opinion that DS2 gets a lot of shit that is unwarranted is a radical thought.

Please stop trying to put words in my mouth; the narrative you're selling is incorrect. I already clarified what I said, so I'm going to disengage.

Blacksmith Andre

Hopefully it's free. If an area is kicking my ass with a 4/1 ratio, I'd rather not be penalized too harshly (or at all) for switching up to something like a 3/2 ratio instead. Lax conditions for switching Estus ratios would encourage more experimentation.

neoism

Sorry to bump without anything especially new, but just wanted to confirm (in what seems like the most recent thread) for people wondering about invasions this time.

I may have caused some concern through what I said about Dried Fingers in the Network Test - that you need to use those to open yourself up to invasion from anyone.

This was misleading. As others can probably confirm from the test, using an Ember will open you up to invasion even if you're on you're own (in online mode, of course). So, essentially like being in human form (after using Humanity) in Dark 1.

Dried Fingers open you up to invasion from a second dark spirit, as well as allowing you to summon up to three phantoms.

Apologies for any confusion caused. Hope this is good news to some of you.
so not sure if or how long this'll be answered but are they going for a more "Fair" amount of enemy spawns and placement... Like I've only played the vanilla version of DS2 with the SotFS patch dx9 without the ridiculous amount of enemy placement... was wondering if DS3 is going for that or will it be toned down a little...

neoism

New details: http://wccftech.com/dark-souls-3-additional-details-pyromancy-weapon-arts-durability/

- Loading seems to be faster than Bloodborne (but some people guess it’s because they were busy to pay attention to the description on the loading screen and that’s why it felt faster)
- Rolling seems to be like DkS2. There is no mid roll, there is just fast roll and greater the equip load, shorter the rolling distance. Also at a certain point it becomes a fat roll.
- Pyromancy “Sacred Fire” (or purification) is like building up fire inside enemy and blow them up, apparently.The weapon art for Dragonslayer Greatbow is “Piercing Shot”
- The weapon art for Whip and Notched Whip is “Severe Blow”. It’s an attack getting around the shield and reduces stamina regeneration speed.
- The weapon art for Crow Demon’s Curved Greatsword is “Blow from the dead angle”
- Flynn’s Ring confirmed
- Darkdrift confirmed with the weapon art called “Darkdrift” too
- Reinforce Estus Flask with Estus Shard, also you can have 0 FP Estus and get full HP Estus, and vice versa.
- In the description of the sorcery “Tear of Cure(?)” had a name “Carim” in the description.
- Covetous Silver Serpent Ring, Lloyd Shield (not sure if he’s talking about Lloyd from DkS1) (Stability is increased when full HP), Fake Ring (The same effect as Ring of the Living?)
- Lloyd’s Talisman has been changed to Undead Hunt Talisman
- The durability seems to be low, for example Battle Axe has only 80. However it’s like attacking enemy for 5 times will decrease 1 durability, and restores the durability by resting at bonfire.

awwyiss

as anticipated as this game is, is it fair to still call it "niche"? series has sold probably over 10 million copies between three games, counting demon's souls

Auctopus

My main request in terms of mechanics is a base 5 Estus i.e. when you die, you will always have 5 Estus on you. No dumb 10% of your life gets taken off when you die, either. It's not fair, it's not clever and just disencourages players from repeating attempts.

as anticipated as this game is, is it fair to still call it "niche"? series has sold probably over 10 million copies between three games, counting demon's souls

No, Souls ain't niche no more. It might be a push to call it mainstream ala COD/FIFA etc. but it certainly isn't niche.

It seems the rolling scales like in DS2, but the rolling animation in the network test (which we assume to be the lowest threshold) is still the most like DS1 or even probably more like Demon's Souls. The roll was definately not like DS2 roll in the slightest. They got the only roll that matters down just fine, I'm not worried about that.

ajb1888

Banned

Consider these games "niche" in the sense that they are unforgiving and obtuse compared to most games out there.
They've become popular, yes, and it warms my heart! :)

MadYarpen

And are there sidesteps as in BB?
BB is the only "souls" game I've played, and I was enjoying the combat because sidestepping was made so well.

And are there sidesteps as in BB?
BB is the only "souls" game I've played, and I was enjoying the combat because sidestepping was made so well.
There was a thief gameplay video where there was sidesteps instead of rolls. However I believe the stepsides used the blue bar.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Does it mean sidesteps will not be possible with a character using different type of weapon?

Possibly. We don't really know at this point. It's probably based on the weapon, but I think I may have read speculation that it will be a gem system like BB. Take that last bit with a grain of salt. I've no idea whether it's been confirmed or not.

Does it mean sidesteps will not be possible with a character using different type of weapon?
I would assume it's the type of weapon as of now.

Someone in a recent dark souls 3 thread mention each weapons has slots/ gems. If the sidestep ability was due to a gem, you could switch it out. However please do not take my word for anything. It's just a post I remember seeing. No idea if the info mention is legit or not. Correctly me if I am wrong.

Sanctuary

Is it just me, or does the narrator for this video, as well as the one for Dark Souls 2 give them a very large LOTR vibe?

No, Souls ain't niche no more. It might be a push to call it mainstream ala COD/FIFA etc. but it certainly isn't niche.

Not sure you know the difference between niche and mainstream then. Being niche has nothing to do with overall sales, even though usually the goal of being as mainstream as possible, is making a game that tries to appeal to the broadest range of people as possible for the most sales. The Souls games might not be selling only 100k copies, but that doesn't make them any less niche. FROM is essentially the only company making these games too.

You remember why Demon's Souls became so popular in the first place, right?

Well in that case I'd say it has become mainstream, just not as huge as the biggest. I mean, few games sell like cod still, c'mon...and its sales have been declining slightly every year anyways aren't they? Not that that's relevant here.
They've become popular, yes, and it warms my heart! :)
=]

bloodborne isn't a part of the series, but it was also very successful as a companion to it, so I really hope they consider a sequel.

jonjonaug

My main request in terms of mechanics is a base 5 Estus i.e. when you die, you will always have 5 Estus on you. No dumb 10% of your life gets taken off when you die, either. It's not fair, it's not clever and just disencourages players from repeating attempts.

Sadly the game has already confirmed a health loss on death mechanic, although it's more similar to Demon's than Dark 2. You appear to lose somewhere between 1/3rd and 1/4th of your total health when you die, and regain that if you kill a boss or use a particular item.

I didn't actually mind the health loss on death mechanic in Dark 2. It was enough of a deal to encourage co-op play (once the game was patched to implement that properly anyway) but slow enough in hindering you to not interrupt the single player only experience too much, the game practically showered you in the restoration item, and it was cool to see your character slowly go from human->undead. I hated it in Demons' Souls though, the amount of health loss was far too drastic.

Bloodborne did death and "humanity" style mechanics best with its Insight stat. I wish we could have something like that instead of this whole "embered" thing Dark 3 seems to have going on.

Auctopus

Sadly the game has already confirmed a health loss on death mechanic, although it's more similar to Demon's than Dark 2. You appear to lose somewhere between 1/3rd and 1/4th of your total health when you die, and regain that if you kill a boss or use a particular item.

That's unfortunate. The death and loss of souls should be the punishment, that's what made repeating efforts in DS1 so rewarding and less infuriating.

Oh well, I've done DeS and DS2 so I'm sure I'll cope.

Context is everything, but it certainly isn't niche. It's a Japanese action-RPG that sells more than 2 million each game. Most JRPGs cap out below 500k.

That's unfortunate. The death and loss of souls should be the punishment, that's what made repeating efforts in DS1 so rewarding and less infuriating.

Oh well, I've done DeS and DS2 so I'm sure I'll cope.

I think it depends on the game design. If the health bar can be returned by both a consumable and a successful coop completion then I am all for it. Bloodborne was sorely lacking in the coop depertment and I hope DS3 encourages it more.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
...are there sidesteps as in BB?...

I'm also a wee bit anxious to discover how sidesteps are implemented. Playing through Bloodborne NG+, I've come to realise just how much I adore the sidestep dodge. It's a thing of beauty and I don't think I can go back to only being able to roll.

Auctopus

I'm also a wee bit anxious to discover how sidesteps are implemented. Playing through Bloodborne NG+, I've come to realise just how much I adore the sidestep dodge. It's a thing of beauty and I don't think I can go back to only being able to roll.

Different games. BB is designed around having the sidestep and DS3 will be designed as such.

It's either a weapon art/class-based and it uses MP.

Context is everything, but it certainly isn't niche. It's a Japanese action-RPG that sells more than 2 million each game. Most JRPGs cap out below 500k.
it certainly didn't start out that way. I think with each installment being critically acclaimed, the series and the genre became more and more popular and at this point, mainstream. It may not be as much of a household name, but it is to a certain extent.

I can't help it either, any mention of DS2 related to this game makes me cringe. Unrealistic sure, but I was still hoping that somehow they'd just sidestep that game completely. I just couldn't find anything I personally found to be superior to anything in the first game. Almost all the changes in PVE seemed like a case of fixing something that wasn't broke to begin with. Definitely no conspiracy there, just thought it was a shit game.

I can't help it either, any mention of DS2 related to this game makes me cringe. Unrealistic sure, but I was still hoping that somehow they'd just sidestep that game completely. I just couldn't find anything I personally found to be superior to anything in the first game. Almost all the changes in PVE seemed like a case of fixing something that wasn't broke to begin with. Definitely no conspiracy there, just thought it was a shit game.

I don't really understand this sentiment, DS2 at least improved the multiplayer part of the game and some of the additions were very much welcome, in terms of mechanics.

The overall package may be inferior to all souls games, but individually elements sure can be handpicked and implemented on DS3, and I'm glad that From is doing exactly that.

The game seems to be blend elements from all the games of the series and that's a good thing.

I don't really understand this sentiment, DS2 at least improved the multiplayer part of the game and some of the additions were very much welcome, in terms of mechanics.

The overall package may be inferior to all souls games, but individually elements sure can be handpicked and implemented on DS3, and I'm glad that From is doing exactly that.

The game seems to be blend elements from all the games of the series and that's a good thing.

To clarify, I wrote PVE specifically because I was never interested in the PVP aspects of it. My introduction to the Souls games was Dark Souls on Xbox 360 and I never had the gold membership and wasn't even aware of all the online aspects until way after my first playthrough. The changes to the PVE portion just seemed either pointless to me as they didn't seem to improve the base gameplay or flat-out terrible compared to the original.

Again though, it's not rational or realistic like I said, just my gut reaction to DS2 features popping up in this one so I can see where the other poster above me was coming from. None of the features can be worse than fast travel from the start and hub levelling however, so the bombshell of shit news to rule them all has already been dropped for me anyway.

Finalow

the more I read these threads on gaf the more I see hilarious and nonsensical complaints about the series. I think we went from ''junk/awful movements'' to ''often cheap, poorly executed and just plain boring games"

Dried Fingers open you up to invasion from a second dark spirit, as well as allowing you to summon up to three phantoms.
that's great.

I can tell you there are plenty of NPCs, and some really interesting "questlines", but can't say with any certainty where they end up. I'm in a weird position where I'm familiar with the vast majority of the game's content (including NPC events/dialogue/etc.) but haven't played through the game as a complete whole.
that's what I expected, good to know.
out of curiosity, you've been able to play the game because you're working on the guide or something?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
out of curiosity, you've been able to play the game because you're working on the guide or something?

Not working on the guide. Not a tester, either.

No idea, I'm afraid. If it is weapon art related, I hope rapiers/thrusting swords get the side-steps. :)

The Quickstep is indeed a Skill tied to certain weapons.
Rapiers/thrusting swords have some other cool stuff :)

For people completely new to this, your class in no way ties you to a certain playstyle or build. You're free to level and switch equipment how you want as you progress.
As with other games in the series, class only determines your starting gear and stats.
Good for roleplay, and getting a feel for how you want to approach the game initially.

Dark Souls 3 season pass leaked, comes with two DLC packs

https://www.vg247.com/2016/02/15/dark-souls-3-season-pass-details-leak/

Vs0f3Z7.gif

Top Bottom