• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III [Opening Cinematic]

Gbraga

Did you keep your saves? Because good god you're right there, on all 3 games. Don't walk away now! How can you have made it this far and gave up!? Why did you put yourself through all that, only to leave the job unfinished, right at the end, 3 times!!??

They're not even particularly hard fights, either. He must have beat much tougher bosses to be there, and quit at the easier ones. :C

TitusTroy

opening cinematic totally reminds me of the Dark Souls 1 opening...same voiceover lady as well...it's great to have Miyazaki back as lead designer!

I guess something broke on the store page for it on Steam, tells me it releases in a few days (16 Feb)... lol.'

Edit: Seems fixed for me now, maybe it's the date for when pre orders go live?

YVxKSkM.jpg

I might wait on this until I see some colour.

My biggest gripe with Bloodborne was how redundant the environments became and this game needs to show a bit more diversity in the pallete.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
They're not even particularly hard fights, either. He must have beat much tougher bosses to be there, and quit at the easier ones. :C

Well as I'm sure you know, "easier" is a relative term :) Gwyn quite effortlessly slapped me around a good few times, for example. It was a bit demoralising at the time...

But yeah, on all 3 games, after overcoming so many really hard challenges, dude just has to make one final push! I couldn't leave it like that.

Ferr986

Well as I'm sure you know, "easier" is a relative term :) Gwyn quite effortlessly slapped me around a good few times, for example. It was a bit demoralising at the time...

But yeah, on all 3 games, after overcoming so many really hard challenges, dude just has to make one final push! I couldn't leave it like that.

Gwyn was really hard if you sucked at parries like me lol

Intense though. You're missing a fun fight if you cheese him with parries.

Otzdarva released his trailer analysis video. Very interesting stuff about a new co-op mechanic, demon's souls tie-ins and other tidbits.

His Dark Souls 2 lore videos are even more
hilarious.

Gbraga

Well, sure, but even if our ranks of most difficult bosses vary wildly, there's always one constant: Ornstein & Smough.

If you've managed to beat these assholes, you can do anything.

EDIT: I actually didn't figure out you could parry Gwyn on my first playthrough, beat him without it. Only found out that was possible through youtube, IIRC, when I was already on my second or third playthrough.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Gwyn was really hard if you sucked at parries like me lol

Intense though. You're missing a fun fight if you cheese him with parries.

I sucked at parries.

Still do, kind of. Bloodborne has made me better, but I'll never master the art. I am glad I fought Gwyn my way. It was a sweet victory when it came. They always are.

Gbraga

It's not the Miyazaki touch or an imperceptible magic.
It's called not being victim of development hell, like Dark Souls 2 clearly was, having to be restarted midway through.

The exact same thing happened with Demon's Souls, though. The project was a massive failure, and Miyazaki just asked "can I try to fix it?", so he basically remade the whole thing to his tastes, mostly because From didn't care about it anymore, and from what was initially going to be sent to die, began Miyazaki's carreer as one of the best game designers in the industry.

Development hell also doesn't apply to the DLCs, and Eleum Loyce wasn't nearly as good as Shulva or Brume Tower, in my opinion.

Also, this would mean every game not made in development hell is as good as Dark Souls, which isn't true at all.

Miyazaki has a very hands on approach to the game design, he oversees every aspect of it, including level design, and I remember reading that he writes every item description and chooses every single name himself.

I'm not a fan of the hyperboles thrown at Dark Souls II either, but trying to make Miyazaki's presence less relevant than it is is just as crazy.

He's responsible for at least two of the three most important aspects in the series, to me, which are Level Design, Boss Battles and the Lore.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
...Ornstein & Smough.

Can't argue with that. I beat them solo, just to prove to myself that I could do it.

The good memory of that achievement helped me later in the New Londo Ruins (hardest area in Dark Souls, imo).

UrbanRats

The exact same thing happened with Demon's Souls, though. The project was a massive failure, and Miyazaki just asked "can I try to fix it?", so he basically remade the whole thing to his tastes, mostly because From didn't care about it anymore, and from what was initially going to be sent to die, began Miyazaki's carreer as one of the best game designers in the industry.

Development hell also doesn't apply to the DLCs, and Eleum Loyce wasn't nearly as good as Shulva or Brume Tower, in my opinion.

Also, this would mean every game not made in development hell is as good as Dark Souls, which isn't true at all.

Miyazaki has a very hands on approach to the game design, he oversees every aspect of it, including level design, and I remember reading that he writes every item description and chooses every single name himself.

I'm not a fan of the hyperboles thrown at Dark Souls II either, but trying to make Miyazaki's presence less relevant than it is is just as crazy.

He's responsible for at least two of the three most important aspects in the series, to me, which are Level Design, Boss Battles and the Lore.
I think the DLC for Dark Souls 2 were just as good as the rest of the series.
I'm not sure what the circumstances of Demon's were, but not every disaster is the same.

I mean it's clear most of the short comings in DkS2 are because the game was shuffled around badly, from the last minute graphic downgrade, to areas that didn't connect or made sense.
The bland bosses were also probably a by product of not having enough time to polish.

If anything, in my opinion they should've toned down the whole project, made something smaller but more manageable, like Demon's Souls.

Gbraga

I think the DLC for Dark Souls 2 were just as good as the rest of the series.
I'm not sure what the circumstances of Demon's were, but not every disaster is the same.

I mean it's clear most of the short comings in DkS2 are because the game was shuffled around badly, from the last minute graphic downgrade, to areas that didn't connect or made sense.
The bland bosses were also probably a by product of not having enough time to polish.

If anything, in my opinion they should've toned down the whole project, made something smaller but more manageable, like Demon's Souls.

Yeah, I think I agree. There's a noticeable contrast between the development hell the game had gone through and the amount of content it has. They had to work crazy fast to make all of that.

And it's probably not even From pushing them to have as much content as possible, because Bloodborne had far less, and From was clearly ok with it.

Well, sure, but even if our ranks of most difficult bosses vary wildly, there's always one constant: Ornstein & Smough.

EDIT: I actually didn't figure out you could parry Gwyn on my first playthrough, beat him without it. Only found out that was possible through youtube, IIRC, when I was already on my second or third playthrough.

I had no clue how parrying even worked, let alone that you could parry a boss, until I saw videos after beating it (offline as well since I didn't have Xbox gold or whatever it was called) as well.

I can parry the shit out of things in Bloodborne but I'm completely useless and gave up on the mechanic in Dark Souls, I just somehow can't do it even 30% of the time.

Mutombo

I had no clue how parrying even worked, let alone that you could parry a boss, until I saw videos after beating it (offline as well since I didn't have Xbox gold or whatever it was called) as well.

I can parry the shit out of things in Bloodborne but I'm completely useless and gave up on the mechanic in Dark Souls, I just somehow can't do it even 30% of the time.

i have not managed to parry more than one time in DS2. And I've tried.

zma1013

That's just DS2. It broke moves that were previously able to be perform consistently and reliably. I'm playing through SOTFS now and i still can't do a jump attack on a regular basis. Feels like I'm playing the lottery.

Fhtagn

I was a parry machine while dual wielding rapiers.

Parry window is different in each game, I got pretty good at each game after unlearning the one I'd previously played.

Buburibon

it looks much more pissfilter-y in that gif than in the actual footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ilg-ThoqMcE

just because yellow is a dominant color doesn't mean it's pissfiltered.

It looks like there's a thick haze blanketing that area of the game map. If I'm not mistaken, the visual theme there has to do with burning fires, and ash falling from the skies, right? We had something similar happen here in Vancouver last summer with all the wildfires that were burning in and around British Columbia. Everything looked depressingly yellow that day. Who knows, From might be shooting for "scientifically accurate" lighting with that color palette. :p

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/07/25-photos-of-vancouvers-martian-skies-due-to-wildfires/

I cant wait until this game!

I didn't want to create a new thread for this, but for those who preordered on Amazon, are you seeing this on your Orders page?

PqSaaqo.png

I have Amazon Prime, not sure why the delivery estimate says May :/

Persona7

Banned
I cant wait until this game!

I didn't want to create a new thread for this, but for those who preordered on Amazon, are you seeing this on your Orders page?

PqSaaqo.png

I have Amazon Prime, not sure why the delivery estimate says May :/

Sometimes the estimation can be off. It's happened to me many times before and nothing has arrived late.

NinjaBoiX

Did you keep your saves? Because good god you're right there, on all 3 games. Don't walk away now! How can you have made it this far and gave up!? Why did you put yourself through all that, only to leave the job unfinished, right at the end, 3 times!!??
Meh, I was bored with each game by that point so relentlessly plugging away to see a cut scene that I'd just skip and the conclusion to a story I couldn't care less about seemed kind of moot.

I'm going to pick up Dark Souls 2 again some time because I actually still enjoy playing it, but I'm definitely done with Bloodborne now. 50 hours is quite long enough to spend playing a game I've developed a fairly strong contempt for!

I don't even have my PS3 anymore so DeS and DS1 aren't an option.

I see the appeal, they're often wonderfully designed and compelling games. But they're just as often teeth-gratingly frustrating, cheap, poorly executed and just plain boring.

Meh, I was bored with each game by that point so relentlessly plugging away to see a cut scene that I'd just skip and the conclusion to a story I couldn't care less about seemed kind of moot.

I'm going to pick up Dark Souls 2 again some time because I actually still enjoy playing it, but I'm definitely done with Bloodborne now. 50 hours is quite long enough to spend playing a game I've developed a fairly strong contempt for!

I don't even have my PS3 anymore so DeS and DS1 aren't an option.

I see the appeal, they're often wonderfully designed and compelling games. But they're just as often teeth-gratingly frustrating, cheap, poorly executed and just plain boring.
I think it's outrageous to say they're cheap or poorly executed.

Top Bottom