• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Ayer, Margot Robbie Reteam for All-Female DC Villains Movie Gotham City Sirens

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

As far as I can tell, the only two Marvel/DC (live action) movies to break an 80 on Metacritic in the past 30 years were The Dark Knight and Spider-Man 2 (the first two Superman films were over that mark as well).

Anyone want to take a guess at whether that will change by the end of 2020?

Somehow I don't think Gotham City Sirens will be the one to do it :p

J_Viper

As far as I can tell, the only two Marvel/DC (live action) movies to break an 80 on Metacritic in the past 30 years were The Dark Knight and Spider-Man 2 (the first two Superman films were over that mark as well).

I'd say Batman has the biggest chance, going off Ben's track record, but apparently Live by Night is a dud so.....

SpaceWolf

Banned

Hey man, I just want to see the first half-decent portrayal of Catwoman on the silver-screen.

(And no, I don't consider Michelle Pfieffer's immortal resurrected secretary and Anne Hathaway running around in Julie Neymar's outfit with that ridiculous headpiece to be definitive Catwoman portrayals)

If Justice League isn't at least halfway decent, the DCEU can miss me going forward. Not even good Affleck directed Batman flicks can keep me interested in the universe as a whole.

Ross61

If Justice League isn't at least halfway decent, the DCEU can miss me going forward. Not even good Affleck directed Batman flicks can keep me interested in the universe as a whole.
stephen-a-smith-2015.jpg

Litan

Iron-man came close with a 79.

In the near future, maybe Affleck's Batman or Coogler's Black Panther will do it.

Pau

Hey man, I just want to see the first half-decent portrayal of Catwoman on the silver-screen.

(And no, I don't consider Michelle Pfieffer's immortal resurrected secretary and Anne Hathaway running around in Julie Neymar's outfit with that ridiculous headpiece to be definitive Catwoman portrayals)
Considering how Nolan usually writes female characters, what we got in DKR was surprisingly okay. I agree the costume was shitty though.

Catwoman plays the hypocrite trying to convince lovesick Harley she can ditch her dead-end relationship with her toxic beau and become a strong independent woman, while Poison Ivy... I dunno, pretends to do plant science and conjures vine monsters by gyrating for thirty minutes on-screen.

Special guest appearances by Damaged Joker, Batfleck's stunt double, and Katana, who i hear they advise not getting killed by, as her sword traps the souls of its victims.

$800 million take guaranteed.

Rumor: Megan Fox Could Be Up For Poison Ivy Role In Gotham City Sirens

http://comicbook.com/2016/12/14/rumor-megan-fox-could-be-up-for-poison-ivy-role-in-gotham-city-s/

The casting rumors start circling last night after it was announced that David Ayer had been chosen to direct the Gotham City Sirens film for DC. The movie will star Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn, and will feature the other two teammates from the Sirens - Catwoman and Poison Ivy.

According to a report from Bleeding Cool, the Poison Ivy role may have already been filled. The site claims that Megan Fox, star of Transformers and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, has been making some moves that would indicate her involvement as the character.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

DC Cinematic Universe stays winning

I doubt Warner Bros. aren't that fucking stupid to cast Megan Fox + I imagine Paramount has her on contract for future Turtle films

shingi70

Banned

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
This is a horrible idea.

Not the date, but Shazam.

His name is SHAZAM. How could that be anything but a box office failure?

....what? are you serious? you dont deserve the marvel family. or tawky tawny

Shaanyboi

Banned
Rumor: Megan Fox Could Be Up For Poison Ivy Role In Gotham City Sirens

http://comicbook.com/2016/12/14/rumor-megan-fox-could-be-up-for-poison-ivy-role-in-gotham-city-s/

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

DC Cinematic Universe stays winning

I doubt Warner Bros. aren't that fucking stupid to cast Megan Fox + I imagine Paramount has her on contract for future Turtle films

This is the supposed reasoning that BleedingCool (lol) uses to argue their point...

Lastly, and why we are really writing this article, Fox has been ordering comic books online, Very specific ones. I have been shown hard evidence that she has ordered pre-52 Harley Quinn comics that feature Poison Ivy, sent to her Warner Studios address.

Hard evidence. HARD. EVIDENCE.

DeathyBoy

Banned

So what you mean is "I want to see my Catwoman?" Fair enough. But those versions were great regardless.

SpaceWolf

Banned
So what you mean is "I want to see my Catwoman?" Fair enough. But those versions were great regardless.

Mmm....agree to disagree, for the most part.

Michelle Pfieffer wasn't Catwoman. She was an immortal secretary who looked like she was quietly suffocating in taped up bin-liners. That's not Selina Kyle. Same with Halle Berry's super-powered cosmetics clerk. Both takes binned the character's central appeal as an every-day, normal woman who just so happens to get a kick out of stealing jewels.

I couldn't stand Anne Hathaway's take either, but I will grant you that that had a lot more to do with Anne Hathaway's performance and the costuming then it did with the character not being written appropriately for the character.

But still, jesus.

6884a12ebed4b5d3918364604f98f8ca.jpg

Jesus Christ.

I don't know if it was suggested earlier but I wish Morena Baccarin was a tad younger and wasn't in Deadpool. I think she'd make a pretty good Catwoman...

She doesn't really need to be younger considering Batman's age.

Also deadpool doesn't really matter,
She voiced Black Canary back on Justice League
Talia in DC's dtv movies
was Gideon on the first season of Flash...

However she is currently a main character on Gotham(Leslie Thompkins).

Streaks

She doesn't really need to be younger considering Batman's age.

Also deadpool doesn't really matter,
She voiced Black Canary back on Justice League
Talia in DC's dtv movies
was Gideon on the first season of Flash...

However she is currently a main character on Gotham(Leslie Thompkins).

I mean voice work is a totally different situation. Her being on Gotham may hamper the possibility, though. Always dug her since V.

This is a nutty idea and so I am in. Harley was a high-point in SS and more Catwoman is always good. Good to see DCEU get to a girl power movie so early in their slate. Possible sexiness, too, a good thing for the genre.

Despite the bizarrely watchable misfire of Suicide Squad, I like the direction that these b-team flicks might take the DCEU. Unlike the somber and relatively high-brow MoS and BvS, these team-ups are on the trashier side; they're comic-bookier in a generic way that dispenses with the high-falutin' aspirations of Snyder's top-shelf offerings. I think that it's healthy for the DCEU to have these modes to juggle. Might keep things fresh.

Mmm....agree to disagree, for the most part.

Michelle Pfieffer wasn't Catwoman. She was an immortal secretary who looked like she was quietly suffocating in taped up bin-liners. That's not Selina Kyle. Same with Halle Berry's super-powered cosmetics clerk. Both takes binned the character's central appeal as an every-day, normal woman who just so happens to get a kick out of stealing jewels.

I couldn't stand Anne Hathaway's take either, but I will grant you that that had a lot more to do with Anne Hathaway's performance and the costuming then it did with the character not being written appropriately for the character.

But still, jesus.

6884a12ebed4b5d3918364604f98f8ca.jpg

Jesus Christ.
Anne Hathaway is by far my favorite adaptation of the character ever. I loathe Pfieffer's portrayal of Catwoman, both her mannerisms and her outfit (dear lord). Pfieffer is by far the worst part of the otherwise extraordinarily excellent Returns, and it's so sad to see such a big part of the film mishandled.

Hathaway just slayed. She was funny, cunning, badass, independent, and sleek, everything that I could want from a Catwoman. Also nobody called her Catwoman and her outfit SLAYED!!! AWESOME<3

ramparter

Banned
First regain my trust in DC movies WB. I don't mind the concept but at this point it feels that they are looking for potentially catchy ideas instead of finding the right people to make quality movies.

Busty

Banned
Could be wrong, but I'm not expecting another in the series due to how the last performed.

There won't be a third Turtles film in that particular iteration of the franchise.

But given how the modern studio system works now (and how little Paramount has in it's tank) they'll just reboot it in a few years anyway.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Considering how Nolan usually writes female characters, what we got in DKR was surprisingly okay. I agree the costume was shitty though.

What, the bladed heels didn't do it for ya?
I'll admit, her stabbing the dude and cracking the joke about them got a smile from me.

I think my bigger qualm with the costume was the fact that she probably couldn't cut her hair because she was going to be doing Les Mis, and Fantine having her hair cut on-screen would be a harder sell if it was just a wig. Catwoman being such an involved character and having this long flowing hair just feels so wrong...

Shaanyboi

Banned
So what Harley Quinn comic book should I read?

What comic book is this?

First image is from the tail end of the 2013-2016 run. It's mostly just dumb hijinks, but it's light and appropriately goofy (until it comes to that later bit with her confronting the Joker). It's not great? Has its moments though.

The second image is from the Injustice: Gods Among Us tie-in comic series, and is a far better read. If you want to see the DC Universe go down in flames in the most overthetop way, it's fantastic.

It also has one of the most shockingly good Harley Quinn moments in maybe the history of the character... (Not really plot spoilers, but it's a good character moment)

Mad Love is also considered the quintessential go-to Harley story. It was written by Paul Dini and Bruce Timm and pretty directly adapted by them for the animated series.

Honestly I don't care what the Catwoman costume looks like(well besides the Halle Berry costume),
they better get her characterization right which honestly is going to be a huge issue.
50% or more of the time the comics can't even get her right.

Arkham version is a decent base.
Telltale's Catwoman is probably the definitive adaptation currently(without playing chapter 5 yet).

They cast a Louis that's almost 10 years older than Clark/Superman so why would they do that?
I doubt it but an appropriate Catwoman in the context of this Batman would be mid 30-40.
Would be a bit weird for a 10+ year older Selina to be hanging with Harley imo.

Also hope Ivy is bit more anti-hero than an irredeemable villain.

Ross61

I doubt it but an appropriate Catwoman in the context of this Batman would be mid 30-40.
Would be a bit weird for a 10+ year older Selina to be hanging with Harley imo.

Also hope Ivy is bit more anti-hero than an irredeemable villain.
I don't think older friends are weird. Especially when you're over a certain age.

I don't think older friends are weird. Especially when you're over a certain age.

Realistically I agree,
but when that younger friend is Harley Quinn its a bit of a narrow window imo.

Honestly though I have mostly always enjoyed Sirens, the premise has always been goofy to me.

Peru

Pfeiffer was the best. She made the character an iconic take on catwoman on her own. One of the great portrayals in movie history, periiod.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Pfeiffer was the best. She made the character an iconic take on catwoman on her own. One of the great portrayals in movie history, periiod.

Yep. And so weird that comic book fans rage against something that's clearly an elseworlds covdelt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom