• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Ayer, Margot Robbie Reteam for All-Female DC Villains Movie Gotham City Sirens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinyou

I actually greatly enjoyed Gotham City Sirens as a comic. I actually encourage everyone to give it a read. it's legit great.

... I also have no faith or hope that current DC Films can pull it off.
It would be great if they could adapt the final arc where
Harley goes after the joker, but I guess their relationship in SS was still rather far from that point.

Garlador

Which is kinda frightening considering her depiction in Suicide Squad. Her defining (and, really, only) character trait is that she really, really, really wants her abusive lover to love her back, no matter what.

Well, Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey were hits too...

dan2026

Weird that Harley Quinn of all people has become a female icon.

This is the character than will do literally anything for her man no matter how much he abuses and mistreats her. And no matter how much she tries to get away from him, she always comes crawling back.

Not exactly a strong, positive female role model.

This is the character than will do literally anything for her man no matter how much he abuses and mistreats her. And no matter how much she tries to get away from him, she always comes crawling back.

The Joker, Walter White, Don Draper, etc. aren't exactly the most upstanding examples of men either. Yet they've grown to be fairly popular with the male audience in their respective shows.

Not every female character has to be a symbol of perfection and goodwill to be somewhat relatable and popular to its audience. From what I gather, Harley's imperfections and her attempts to grow are what make her popular. She's no longer tied to the Joker either, the woman has her own very popular solo comic going on right now as well.

Garlador

That's the general interpretation...

... but is that still actually true? I've read many recent versions of the character that liberate herself from "Mistah J" and haven't come crawling back to him in a good long while.
harely-quinn-beats-up-joker.jpg

harley-quinn-takes-the-super-pill-5.jpg

Won't lie, either. I was more than happy to see this.

Which is kinda frightening considering her depiction in Suicide Squad. Her defining (and, really, only) character trait is that she really, really, really wants her abusive lover to love her back, no matter what.

That is how she was in the cartoons and she slept her way through school. She's not a role model.

Nategc20

Banned
I don't know. What exactly is Ayer's thing?

Here's how his directed films have averaged on Rottentomatoes.

Sabotage - 20% (2014)

Suicide Squad - 26% (2016)

Street Kings - 36% (2008)

Harsh Times - 48% (2006)

Fury - 77% (2014)

End of Watch - 85% (2012)

I feel like David Ayer has directed more bad movies than good movies.

I don't know. Suicide squad and street kings feels like they shouldnt be that low.

Fuchsdh

Being a white man in Hollywood really means that you can only fail upwards. Holy shit man.

These kinds of things basically give you an idea of who likes who in Hollywood. While theoretically business dictates a lot, the actual development is a lot less about talent and a lot more about who is chummy with who (and thus can blame failure on anyone but them.)

Yeah the number of Joker/Harley SS cosplays I've seen at conventions is pretty boggling. By my reckoning it's worse than the couples Booker/Elizabeth cosplays, though not by much.

AdaWong

Harley Quinn's rise to popularity is so strange. She literally pulled a 180 and now EVERYONE in the GP knows/likes her.

I was excited for this movie but essentially rewarding David Ayer for that Suicide Squad travesty is turning me off a bit. The writer changed, which is good since that was probably the biggest issue, but the direction of the movie wasn't particularly great either.

Ninjimbo

lol nope. Villeneuve would make the best comic movie since at least The Dark Knight, perhaps better.
I'll believe it when I see it which I won't. Taking the director of Enemy and Arrival and putting him to direct a Hollywood blockbuster that is supposed to please both comic fans and a general audience? You'll get something so tone deaf it might get a harsher reaction than MoS. You and me might love it because we know Villenueve won't pander.

PixelatedBookake

I found Harley Quinn very annoying in Suicide Squad. She had terrible one-liners and barely any chemistry with anyone, and that includes Deadshot and the Joker. I have know idea why she was so popular? Because she wore skimpy clothes and acted "quirky"?

Sesha

For what it's worth, early rumors said it has female heroes in it as well. It's possible Birds of Prey get involved or at least Black Cannary has been heavily rumored.

I think it could be interesting if they have Harley, Ivy and Selina as the main protagonists, and they come into conflict with Black Canary, Huntress or even the Birds of Prey as a whole. Maybe have them end up on a situation where they would have to unite forces to be able to escape. If whatever female heroes they add are well-received, they could then announce a Birds of Prey movie as a spin-off.

Should've been Kathryn Bigelow, Denis Villeneuve or Lexi Alexander.

They could get Bigelow or Alexander to direct Birds of Prey.

kswiston

Why would you even give David Ayer another movie after Suicide Squad, and on top of that, how in the hell did he agree to work with you again after Suicide Squad?

Why do you make me question you so damn much, WB/DC?

The answer is Suicide Squad's $750M gross. WB makes money. David Ayer makes money. Why wouldnt they want to work together again?

I think some directors are perfectly capable of sitting back and seeing the big picture with regards to studio interference. He's directing a DC film. Its part of a big connected universe, and is a popcorn film. No one is treating it like their magnum opus.

Oh a Deadshot film might happen? I'm all for that. Him and Harley were the standouts of Squad so it makes sense for them to get spinoffs.

UrbanRats

I'll believe it when I see it which I won't. Taking the director of Enemy and Arrival and putting him to direct a Hollywood blockbuster that is supposed to please both comic fans and a general audience? You'll get something so tone deaf it might get a harsher reaction than MoS. You and me might love it because we know Villenueve won't pander.

A movie just has to be good, fuck being faithful.
Comic nerds will pay to see it either way.

Besides, He's working on Blade Runner 2, we'll see how the reaction to that will be.

That's the general interpretation...

... but is that still actually true? I've read many recent versions of the character that liberate herself from "Mistah J" and haven't come crawling back to him in a good long while.

Won't lie, either. I was more than happy to see this.

The Injustice pic really isn't a great example. She didn't leave Joker by choice and hooked up with the alternate earth version as soon as he showed up.

Should've been Kathryn Bigelow, Denis Villeneuve or Lexi Alexander.
Yup.
They would screw it up worse than Ayer probably.
How so?
Denis just did Arrival, which is a Hollywood blockbuster. He's doing Blade Runner 2. If he did a comic book movie and well, I wouldn't be surprised.

Garlador

The Injustice pic really isn't a great example. She didn't leave Joker by choice and hooked up with the alternate earth version as soon as he showed up.

And that didn't turn out for him either by the end.
"You've outgrown him."

There's a lot of nuance lost in the story mode because it was rushing from fight to fight. The comic fills in a lot of the gaps, including her thought process and inner conflict and shame.

Injustice comic Harley is one of the best interpretations ever really.

Busty

Banned
Variety are reporting that this film could shoot next summer after Robbie has filmed I, Tonya.

If it is shooting summer 2017 then it's possible that this film could yet make Aquaman's original summer 2018 release slot.

Which would be interesting.

Kibbles

Variety are reporting that this film could shoot next summer after Robbie has filmed I, Tonya.

If it is shooting summer 2017 then it's possible that this film could yet make Aquaman's original summer 2018 release slot.

So would this come before Batman then?

Ninjimbo

Yup.

How so?

Denis just did Arrival, which is a Hollywood blockbuster. He's doing Blade Runner 2. If he did a comic book movie and well, I wouldn't be surprised.
Arrival is not a blockbuster. Come on now. It has a good budget but that's not a movie that's made to break bank.

Busty

Banned
So would this come before Batman then?

I can't imagine a situation where Warners would rush Affleck to finish his Batman film for a summer 2018 slot if he wasn't comfortable with it.

I'm going to say no based on nothing more than WB potentially seeing Affleck's Batman film as more of a "prestige" project than the Sirens film.

Blader

When Aquaman moved from July to October 2018, I assumed that was WB clearing the deck for Affleck's Batman to land a prime summer slot (that TBA October date never made sense to me for Batman).

But with JL2 production apparently being delayed to make room for Batman, a movie that wasn't even supposed to come until June 2019, then I can see maybe Sirens being prepped for July '18 with Batman then coming the following summer. Assuming Sirens ends up shooting next summer.

kswiston

What's scheduled for 2019 right now? I could see it being first quarter 2019 if Aquaman was moved to give Batman the prime July real estate.

I found Harley Quinn very annoying in Suicide Squad. She had terrible one-liners and barely any chemistry with anyone, and that includes Deadshot and the Joker. I have know idea why she was so popular? Because she wore skimpy clothes and acted "quirky"?

I dunno maybe it was the tits and ass. I thought she was a bore myself.

J_Viper

The potential was there, but every line of dialogue she was given was fucking horrendous

I dunno maybe it was the tits and ass. I thought she was a bore myself.

What tits and what ass do you speak of?

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I can't imagine a situation where Warners would rush Affleck to finish his Batman film for a summer 2018 slot if he wasn't comfortable with it.

I'm going to say no based on nothing more than WB potentially seeing Affleck's Batman film as more of a "prestige" project than the Sirens film.

Batman is scheduled to shoot in spring according to Affleck.

Batman is scheduled to shoot in spring according to Affleck.

A lot of conflicting reports about this. Affleck makes it sound like it's so far from being ready even on the script level

And then mangianello says he's gonna be shooting scenes for batman in the spring. Could be misdirection from Ben and it really is coming up soon or maybe it is scheduled for 2019 after all. Damn shame about how long the wait is because I wanna see more of this batman than any other marvel or dc hero in the pipeline by a landslide. But whatever it takes to get it right too.

icespide

Banned
A lot of conflicting reports about this. Affleck makes it sound like it's so far from being ready even on the script level

And then mangianello says he's gonna be shooting scenes for batman in the spring. Could be misdirection from Ben and it really is coming up soon or maybe it is scheduled for 2019 after all. Damn shame about how long the wait is because I wanna see more of this batman than any other marvel or dc hero in the pipeline by a landslide. But whatever it takes to get it right too.

DC decided to go ahead and film the trailer so they know how to edit the rest of the movie

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

Seems early as well given that the first draft is not even complete. Duno.

I too am looking forward to the next Batman film - I'm just hoping WB gives him free reigns in a producing capacity given his body of work (Argo, The Town) and little studio interference (like they did for the Nolan films - they were pretty hands off). #Prays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom