• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone details, No Multiplayer, Dynamic day/night cycle, plus more

kurahador

No MP??? YES!!!!!!
* Game has been in development for 3+ years, but still its in early development as they just only finished core mechanics/ideas of the game and not ready yet
3 years they still think it's early in development. :/
My optimistic guess is it'll be 2018.

Game looks awesome, especially after watching that other gameplay video. What are they calling the monsters? Are they straight calling them zombies, or do they have some other weird name?

'freakers'. seriously :) ...

need to mention: anyone interested in a post-apocalyptic open-world, mission-based third-person shooter who hasn't checked out mad max ought to. a cool, crazy, under-appreciated gem :) ...

tomd90

Banned
Looks really cool but I want to see how more of how the hordes work, if it's just no stop never ending hordes it won't be much fun, you've still gotta have some ebb and flow to it or you'll get bore and it'll go from tense to tedious.

I don't get all the complains about it being another zombie game? What if it was an fps? or a racing game, you can use that argument for anything.

Just seems like high budget version of state of decay with a more action focus.

Would be great if there were some co-op if it's open world.

Looks really cool but I want to see how more of how the hordes work, if it's just no stop never ending hordes it won't be much fun, you've still gotta have some ebb and flow to it or you'll get bore and it'll go from tense to tedious.
Hordes are just one type of enemy right? I guess you could just ride off to a different area idk. So much we don't know I'm intrigued

I am already sold on the game, it looks great. I'm glad they will focus on SP, i want a polished experience.
Now they are early in development? So like 2018? :(

tskeeve

YES that tool crafting mechanic sounds like it could be a lot of fun. "Creative possibilities" implies that it'll be way more fleshed out than TLOU-level crafting.

bede-x

I love how Sony keeps investing in singleplayer games. It really is what makes me prefer their console and line-up to their competitors.

FHIZ

Good to see that there's apparently much more to the game. The demo itself was so out of context it just looked like "shoot a bunch of zombies," which admittedly, didn't leave a great impression on me.

On top of that, it came off SUPER Last of Us-y, which was also a bit concerning, so glad to see it walks a different path just with similar set ups.

ironcreed

Banned
Hordes are just one type of enemy right? I guess you could just ride off to a different area idk. So much we don't know I'm intrigued

Other than the hordes of Freakers there are the Newts. One of the smaller guys you can see at the start of the demo. They are infected adolescents who like to mainly do sneak attacks. So there is more than just running from crazed hordes.

Raptor

The more I watch it the less I like it, being chased by that horde of enemies will get boring and tedious really fast, there is only so much you can do with an all time chasing wave of zombies.

I really hope the encounters doesnt relly on only that because it will be a mayor mistake and will make this game very tedious, also seriously I already said it but they need to reconsider the gunplay feedback, there is not even hit markers at all, you just shot and thats it, no feedback at all.

In a game with tons of zombies to kill the actual part of the zombie killing has to be fun and satisfying if not the game will get boring fast.

Still have hopes since after 3 years is still in early dev? I mean jeez... :p

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
I love how Sony keeps investing in singleplayer games. It really is what makes me prefer their console and line-up to their competitors.

youre-god-damn-right.gif

megalowho

Still not doing much for me with the new details, it all sounds so redundant conceptually and the character/story that's been shown didn't resonate. I'm just not seeing what makes this take on another zombie apocalypse compelling yet, aside from nice looking tech when they all fall down.

JimiNutz

Banned
The zombie horde was the game changer for me, lots of potential for some really frantic and dramatic gameplay using that horde.

You gotta consider that this demo was probably pretty tame in comparison to some of the crazy hordes they will probably have in the game later on.

VanWinkle

Still have no clue why people PRAISE when there is no multiplayer. Like, remind me the last time single player suffered because of a multiplayer component? I know people freaked out when UC2 was announced with MP yet the single player was way better than UC1, and I know that people praised the heck out of no multiplayer in The Order 1886, yet the game's single player was tiny and beyond mediocre.

Regardless, this game didn't need multiplayer anyway.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Still not doing much for me with the new details, it all sounds so redundant conceptually and the character/story that's been shown didn't resonate. I'm just not seeing what makes this take on another zombie apocalypse compelling yet, aside from nice looking tech when they all fall down.

You might want to get your vision check if that's all you saw. The potential for some incredible emergent gameplay in this looks incredible. The tech isn't just to look nice, it actually makes the zombies feel like a force of nature and not just some shambling brain dead monsters that you get head shots on.

Then again this is me as this looks more entertaining in 10 minutes than most zombie games have been for me over their entire campaigns.

Still have no clue why people PRAISE when there is no multiplayer. Like, remind me the last time single player suffered because of a multiplayer component?

I'd rather they focus on making the SP as good as possible. I'd rather no MP if its just tacked on or just plain bad.

kurahador

Still have no clue why people PRAISE when there is no multiplayer. Like, remind me the last time single player suffered because of a multiplayer component?

God Of War Ascension and Arkham Origins comes to mind.
Mass Effect 3 to some extent, but then again the game pretty much lacking in all other departments.

Warewolf

I would absolutely argue that DOOM as a package is compromised because of the disparity between the singleplayer and the multiplayer portions.

I know what you're saying though, I'm personally happy there's no multiplayer because, presumably it allows more resources to be dedicated to the core of the game. I mean it looks pretty tight for a studio staffed by 100 people.

Gurish

I'm not sure if this has been posted.

Extended gameplay presentation

Different route and mechanics.

Wow.

I don't get how can anyone not be impressed by this, it looks so intense, the environment and world are so dynamic, zombies are so savage, never seen anything like this in games, how they come to get you no matter fucking what, it's got a cinematic element to it so everything feels meaningful and with weight (unlike most zombie games where you mindlessly kill them), so yea they need to improve gun sound ASAP but other than that this looks amazing! definitely at the top of what I've seen this E3.

Visually stunning as well (par of the course with Sony's exclusives), only 100 guys are working on it? damn!

megalowho

You might want to get your vision check if that's all you saw. The potential for some incredible emergent gameplay in this looks incredible. The tech isn't just to look nice, it actually makes the zombies feel like a force of nature and not just some shambling brain dead monsters that you get head shots on.

Then again this is me as this looks more entertaining in 10 minutes than most zombie games have been for me over their entire campaigns.
The emergent gameplay looks to me like a more hectic but less fun Dead Rising with some environmental triggers, or Left 4 Dead with less enemy variety and subpar gunplay. Running from hordes of aggressive enemies sounds like a recipe for frustrating combat encounters. The biker angle sounds cool on the surface but gave off Ride to Hell: Retribution vibes from what's been shown so far.

I know it's not worth picking apart a vertical slice demo, given that the game is still early in development I'll keep an open mind once it's further along. But the post apocalypse fatigue is real for me, tired of the setting and tropes and not really feeling what's been pitched so far.

Loudninja

Wow.

I don't get how can anyone not be impressed by this, it looks so intense, the environment and world are so dynamic, zombies are so savage, never seen anything like this in games, how they come to get you no matter fucking what, it's got a cinematic element to it so everything feels meaningful and with weight (unlike most zombie games where you mindlessly kill them), so yea they need to improve gun sound ASAP but other than that this looks amazing! definitely at the top of what I've seen this E3.

Visually stunning as well (par of the course with Sony's exclusives), only 100 guys are working on it? damn!
Yeah this is looking really good.

5taquitos

I'm looking forward to seeing some more of the systems at work. He talks about being a mercenary, so I imagine there's a job system in the game somehow. This also implies a fair amount of survivors, so the settlement aspect could be interesting. And of course, the bike gang angle needs to be explored more. I could see this being Sony's answer to State of Decay.

ironcreed

Banned
I'm looking forward to seeing some more of the systems at work. He talks about being a mercenary, so I imagine there's a job system in the game somehow. This also implies a fair amount of survivors, so the settlement aspect could be interesting. And of course, the bike gang angle needs to be explored more. I could see this being Sony's answer to State of Decay.

It looks leagues beyond State of Decay to me.

Tigress

I got a little state of decay feel from it but it's still pretty different (though state of decay with its emphasis more on controlling many people and not focusing on one main player really is a different sort of game than most zombie games). I also get a little dying light feel (mostly in the picking up stuff but also the different zombie types and day and night where night is more dangerous stuff too. And finding things to loot to craft stuff).

It sounds promising in theory from what I read they want to do. And I loved both State of Decay and Dying Light ;). I'm jealous State of Decay 2 is going to be on xbox one (I have a 360 but not a one and I'm not going to buy one for one game even if I would really love to play it).

They've proven their competence on Vita, I hope they shine on the PS4.

I'm actually a little hesitant based on the one game I have played by them, a Vita game: Uncharted Golden Abyss. While I enjoyed the gameplay (even the stuff most people hated), I really couldn't stand the writing, especially the character writing for Nate. I really couldn't stand him in that game and if I didn't by principle insist on at least watchign the cut scenes the first time I played the game I'd fast forward through them all cause they all annoyed me. I really wanted to cave on that principle in that game. I mean maybe some of that is attributed to just not liking the character anyways but I don't remember finding him unbearable in other Uncharted games I've played (Though obviously catering to guy players. But it was way more painfully so in Golden Abyss to the point it was really annoying and very overdone).

I hope they have better writers or at least think more about the dialogue/writing this time.

Really looks great.

I'm excited to see what Somy Bend does with their shot at the big time.

They've proven their competence on Vita, I hope they shine on the PS4.

Remember when Ready at Dawn proved themselves with Ghosts of Sparta...

I suspect this will be significantly better but past success isn't a guarantee of anything...

Well the devs in the RT interview mentioned this demo was like an early bounty hunter quest to get that dude in the farm mill.
They alluded to picking up bounty quests from various human settlements around the world.

When I thought it was an open-world bounty hunter game, I was pretty hype for it. But then the demo at the end of the Sony Press Conference happened and it revealed itself as another zombie game, and my hype instantly went away. I'm just over the whole zombie genre.

ironcreed

Banned
It should look ahead of a three year old game...but that's not to say it's doing more than SoD did.

SoD2 is the game to compare this too...

I am just saying the overall concept and game itself is more appealing to me based on what I am seeing. SoD has some neat mechanics and I am expecting the second one to expand on that and be a big improvement. But again, I just think this will do more for me. That's it.

Loudninja

When I thought it was an open-world bounty hunter game, I was pretty hype for it. But then the demo at the end of the Sony Press Conference happened and it revealed itself as another zombie game, and my hype instantly went away. I'm just over the whole zombie genre.
The game has bounty hunting missions.

I dont get what change here,that whole demo was him on a bounty mission.

Shin-Ra

Why not just run back to your bike? I found the horde a bit comedic and unthreatening, the demo looks setup so they never latch on and kill but their animation or something (red eyes at night?) extra's needed to make it scarier.

That alternate playthrough is even more baffling than the E3 presentation. It's got a dead serious zombie survival tone with an infinite ammo insta-reload assault rifle being the main mechanic in the game. Seems more like a tech demo than a representation of what they actually want the game to be at this point.

GnawtyDog

Banned
No MP means no Online CO-OP right? So yeah that's a bummer. Still I like the World War Z vibe. The encounters offer that claustrophobic feel to them just by the cheer amount of zombies.

Zukkoyaki

Remember when Ready at Dawn proved themselves with Ghosts of Sparta...

I suspect this will be significantly better but past success isn't a guarantee of anything...

I agree with you 100%, but I will say that this is already giving off a much better vibe than The Order. With that game, Sony seemed to do everything in their power to keep the game under wraps and when they did show anything it was short, way overly scripted, and underwhelming.

With Days Gone, we got multiple gameplay demos as soon as the game was announced and already seems to be light-years beyond The Order in terms of openness and gameplay (That second demo linked in this thread in particular).

Just my two cents!

Top Bottom