• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone Previews

bitbydeath

Don't think this game was ever portrayed as down in the dumps. The problem was Sony themeselves making it seem that way. Game was announced years ago, yet gamers never saw much of anything except some trailers and demo vids that showed the same kind of stuff...... that scene with Deacon running away from zombies and he shoots them and triggers traps.

Game comes out next month and there's still hardly any info.

But maybe now, the floodgates will open up.

Try here for some info - https://www.neogaf.com/threads/days-gone-huge-compilation-of-known-information.1471407/

But it's still a Sony exclusive, so it kinda has the same free card.

I admit I haven't seen the new trailers yet as I'm at work,but I saw a lot of footage last year, where this game looked like a very unpolished indie game. From the view of the replies though, it sounds like that's changed.

I think we saw different trailers, this game has always looked incredible to me even the very first trailer.

Shmunter

So the game is not Woke enough? The click bait generating, revenue hunting Media are upset because a white male is the protagonist? How dare they have a white male in 2019.

This is getting beyond comical and nothing more than click bait. Outrage gets the views and we are the suckers.

It’s too bad racism is allowed to thrive under the guise of affirmative action making it faux acceptable. One day, the bill will be collected.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

Moses85

One more game Xbox only gamers will their finger licking for.

Even if this isn’t going to be a blockbuster like GoW or TLOU, I am happy I will have a game I can spend some time with after my platinum trophy (RE2) and after I finished Exodus and RDR2 on my X.

bitbydeath

Might be. I saw some gsmeplay trailer and the game looked insane mediocre. But that doesn't mean the game needs to be bad. State of Decay 2 looked like shit as well and yet it's still fun to play.

Depends on your taste I suppose.
This looks like Red Dead with better controls everyone enjoys different things and that’s OK.

CatCouch

I wasn't very enthusiastic about this before but it looks like it's shaping up to be a worthwhile game to play. Awkward attempts at race controversy aside, it sounds like quite a bit of progress was made according to the previews. I love zombies so this might end up on my list to play!

Fluzer

Banned
One more game Xbox only gamers will their finger licking for.

Even if this isn’t going to be a blockbuster like GoW or TLOU, I am happy I will have a game I can spend some time with after my platinum trophy (RE2) and after I finished Exodus and RDR2 on my X.

I don't think Xbox gamers want a bad game like this.

julio_grr

I don't know why I cant get hyped for this game.
I had great fun with Dying Light though (It's the closest "horde" zombie game that comes to my mind), and am eagerly waiting for Dying Light 2.
But this? I don't know. The art, story and graphics seem pretty bland to me.
Let's wait for the full reviews.

Checked a couple of them, §I'm so bored of these story driven games :( I hope it would be more sandboxy, at least from what I have understodt by the previews.
Ugh hopefully your alone as far as your thoughts go . Love my story driven games . If you mean linear thats one thing but you dont want a good story in your game ?

Last edited:
So the game is not Woke enough? The click bait generating, revenue hunting Media are upset because a white male is the protagonist? How dare they have a white male in 2019.

This is getting beyond comical and nothing more than click bait. Outrage gets the views and we are the suckers.

It’s too bad racism is allowed to thrive under the guise of affirmative action making it faux acceptable. One day, the bill will be collected.

It's already being collected. Elections in several western countries prove how pissed off people are as political options that were not even a gamble not so long ago now are viewed as the only ones with a bit of common sense.

i wasnt really interested in this game (maybe on sales, but definitely not on launch) but these critics are just provoking the opposite effect.

We are witnessing the same bullshit on the clash Alita versus Captain Marvel.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

These 'millions of open world zombie games' the narrator talks about. Can someone point me in the right direction because, having been a Playstation fan since the PS1, I can't recall ever seeing one.

edit: Strike that, one. Dying Light.

Last edited:

thief183

Ugh hopefully your alone as far as your thoughts go . Love my story driven games . If you mean linear thats one thing but you dont want a good story in your game ?

Honestly? I'm one of that ppl that skips cutscenes, I don't find videogames stories interesting at all, I got movies and books for that.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The thing that gets me most of the time with games (and sometimes films), is they forget about subtext. Putting the fact that bikers, roaring down a road at 80 - 100 miles an hour are likely to have their hats ripped from their heads when the wind gets under the peak of their hat, it would only take ONE simple scene to add subtext and give Deacon a 'reason' to put his hat on backwards. I would add a scene where his wife turns his hat backwards and laughs when Deacon puts it back the right way. Now you have subtext. Nothing more needs to be said. Now when you see him with his cap backwards, it's a reminder of that moment and clearly is to Deacon too. Just as the watch in TLOU was a constant reminder to Joel of his daughter.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The thing that gets me most of the time with games (and sometimes films), is they forget about subtext. Putting the fact that bikers, roaring down a road at 80 - 100 miles an hour are likely to have their hats ripped from their heads when the wind gets under the peak of their hat, it would only take ONE simple scene to add subtext and give Deacon a 'reason' to put his hat on backwards. I would add a scene where his wife turns his hat backwards and laughs when Deacon puts it back the right way. Now you have subtext. Nothing more needs to be said. Now when you see him with his cap backwards, it's a reminder of that moment and clearly is to Deacon too. Just as the watch in TLOU was a constant reminder to Joel of his daughter.

He's a biker...his mom tried to put his hat on the RIGHT WAY. He doesn't talk to his mom much anymore.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

The sad part is where I'm front wearing your hat backward is just normal. It's so weird to see people from the "other" side get so freaked out about it. But then I have to remind myself that there are 2 Americas going on at the same time and one of them thinks wearing your hat backward looks stupid.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The sad part is where I'm front wearing your hat backward is just normal. It's so weird to see people from the "other" side get so freaked out about it. But then I have to remind myself that there are 2 Americas going on at the same time and one of them thinks wearing your hat backward looks stupid.

Also, you have to wear it backwards with riding a motorcycle since the wind will take it right off your head from the bill.

Something I expect most internet gaming nerds who seem to be the bastion of style and fashion to never understand and/or experience.

KiteGr

Same, for me it's probably the timing. It comes out sandwiched between DMC V/Sekiro and Rage 2. I just don't have the time to be interested in all of them.
For me it's because it looked like yet another Zombie game.
It might had some cool new mechanics like hordes and an open world, but I'm really Really REALLY SICK of zombies at this point.

Toe-Knee

I went to preorder this last night to realise that I already have.

Cannot wait especially now that I've only paid £37 for it

LMJ

Cost me $115.00 :-(
States it includes upcoming DLC though so hopefully that makes the cost worth it.

I'm going to just assume this is a collector's edition and they're not charging $115 for the standard edition,

let me rephrase that I'm going to pray this is not the standard edition price LOL

bitbydeath

I'm going to just assume this is a collector's edition and they're not charging $115 for the standard edition,

let me rephrase that I'm going to pray this is not the standard edition price LOL

Lol, standard edition was $99

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Hordes don’t respawn so once you take out all 40 you will be horde free. (Probably a trophy)

One of the first things I'm going to do is find a nice safe vantage point and watch the entrance to one of these horde caves/nests. I love that sort of thing.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Hordes don’t respawn so once you take out all 40 you will be horde free. (Probably a trophy)

Although no footage, every time they talk about it or show it, it just always sounds or looks a little better. You can tell these guys made the game they wanted to make, expecting solid reviews on this one - maybe not great but very solid.

TLZ

Banned
Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
One of the first things I'm going to do is find a nice safe vantage point and watch the entrance to one of these horde caves/nests. I love that sort of thing.

It's one of the most fun things to do in games.

I'm not white and I'm sick of this shit. I like diversity, but this tone has become too pathetic now. Stop crying about it in every article and every chance you get. It doesn't sound genuine to me at all and just feels like they're going with the flow for the clicks.

Diversity includes everyone, even whites. Surprise huh.

It's Outrage Marketing. You can tell when conversations about race are genuine. It's not in that article at all!

bitbydeath

I'm not white and I'm sick of this shit. I like diversity, but this tone has become too pathetic now. Stop crying about it in every article and every chance you get. It doesn't sound genuine to me at all and just feels like they're going with the flow for the clicks.

Diversity includes everyone, even whites. Surprise huh.

I don’t know why people can’t just look beyond colour and treat everyone exactly the damn same.

TLZ

Banned
I don’t know why people can’t just look beyond colour and treat everyone exactly the damn same.
I know. It's not like anyone was given a choice before coming to this world. We're all equal. We should embrace and enjoy the differences. It's cool.

Last edited:

trikster40

This was really high on my radar a few years ago. Dropped off due to constant delays.

Actually surprised the marketing doesn't seem to be that strong for this game, I have seen way heavier promo for Anthem/Division 2/Resi 2 etc etc over the past couple months. I am hoping for a hit but I am staying cautious.

Marketing will start once these March big hitters are out and people are ready for the next thing. No point wasting ad dollars now when you can really hit them hard a few weeks before launch.

Top Bottom