• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone Previews

klosos

Nice , i remember seeing the first E3 trailer about 3 years ago , i think ( older i get the harder it is to keep track of time ) the one where shit tons of zombies was chasing him through the sawmill ( i think that's what you yanks call it ) and i was blown away , but over the last year i have cooled down a bit on it. But looking at some of the new game play , am thinking i am definitely getting this now , maybe not Day one , maybe through a quite period over the summer.

The reading I get from the previews is it’s a cross between ghost recon wildlands and state of decay ....but it does not do any really well.

I think it will be a good game but I don’t think it will really help diversify the ps4 first party output and terms like walking simulator will probably be used by console warriors.

The only thing I’m hoping is the gunplay is as tight and it’s not too reliant on the survival bits as they look pretty shit imo

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

I mean, It is a possibility. It just never gets portrayed because developers can ignore all the negative press about it. I can only imagine the banter "oh my god, I don't know if I can do this!". Dante's Inferno had unbaptised babies. I'm still on the fence about Days Gone. A part of me feels like its a must own first party game, but then I see it being a good game to get when the price goes down.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Stuart360

Nothing wrong with zombie kids, it would be more weird without them. I dont remember people moaning about killing mutant babies in Dead Space, but the human race hadn't been engineered into a bunch of bumbling puussies back then though.

Last edited:
The reading I get from the previews is it’s a cross between ghost recon wildlands and state of decay ....but it does not do any really well.

I think it will be a good game but I don’t think it will really help diversify the ps4 first party output and terms like walking simulator will probably be used by console warriors.

The only thing I’m hoping is the gunplay is as tight and it’s not too reliant on the survival bits as they look pretty shit imo

giphy.gif

My impressions from what I’ve read are a little more positive than yours, but I feel you.

PocoJoe

Banned
I'm not white and I'm sick of this shit. I like diversity, but this tone has become too pathetic now. Stop crying about it in every article and every chance you get. It doesn't sound genuine to me at all and just feels like they're going with the flow for the clicks.

Diversity includes everyone, even whites. Surprise huh.

Yeah it is just idiotic nowadays.

I'm from Finland, we still are like +90% white, back in the days when we were inwar with russia(almost 100y ago) we were probably 100% white.

And then some retards cried how there should be other than whites in movie about these wars + also women soldiers.

Same as asking to have jackie chan in african movie telling about times before europeans conquered their areas.

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned
I'm excited for this but not allowing myself to get it until I clear more of this backlog. Love the motorcycle though!

Man this game felt for a moment like it was barely getting any marketing, I really didnt find it that interesting but I must say in these last 2-3 months, as they are revealing these small snippets of story, Im really looking forward to it. *please be good*

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'd be hesitant to read any personal opinion/click bait article on Days Gone. Its like putting the game in the meat grinder when there really isn't any proof to do so. IMO they could have had you create your character in this game and still make it an awesome experience. I'm at the point where I could just disregard his personality altogether and just focus on the game play.

I pre-ordered the regular edition. For $10 more:

- Days Gone Digital Full Game
- Days Gone Digital Mini-Art Book by Dark Horse Comics
- Days Gone Digital Sound Track
- Deacon vs. The Horde Dynamic Theme
- Monkey Wrench Skill Early Unlock
- 3 Bike Skins

A skill to fix your bike, right? I can unlock that and save a couple bucks. I am looking forward to it. I haven't seen much from the dev videos, but the gameplay is looking fun. I was on the fence until I read some user reactions from the previews. The use of the motorcycle sounds good. Resident Evil 2 had Claire on a Harley. It was a big endorsement for Harley Davidson, but I didn't feel like that brand really showed itself off.

DanielsM

Banned
Man this game felt for a moment like it was barely getting any marketing, I really didnt find it that interesting but I must say in these last 2-3 months, as they are revealing these small snippets of story, Im really looking forward to it. *please be good*

It looks just a little bit better every time they show something. I'm expecting high 70s/mid-80s on the MC... mini-hit 4-7m units. Looks like the developers made the game they wanted to make, and if not some people's cup of tea that is okay. Its pretty clear cut what this or isn't - if someone likes Red Dead Redemption open world with a motorcycle and zombies, with survival strategies and the ability to make zombies fight your human enemies, this title is for you.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Looks like they're very confident if they're sending it to so many reviewers...
I guess you can be that confident when you produce the best games in the industry B)

Gamernyc78

Banned

Didn't get this feeling from most of the positive previews "cross between ghost recon wildlands and state of decay ....but it does not do any really well" from what I gather it does several things well including combat and crafting. Also the world seems lush and inviting.

My meta guesstimate will be around an 82-86 and tht is more than enough to make me purchase it day one. I don't get put off to a game unless it's low 70s and even then I give it the benefit of the doubt and buy it later on. The Order was a game that got thrashed due to its restrictive nature and I still bought it and enjoyed it minus the repetitive, cheesy boss fights.

Cool new Ad for Days Gone- One Bullet

ad should have ended with him holding the gun up to his head....

(in game, he would be rescued last minute OR it could have been a game over cinematic screen and he kills himself if Deacon gets overwhelmed in a segment.)

hire me Bend (or ad agency)

Last edited:

nowhat

Looks like they're very confident if they're sending it to so many reviewers...
I will not comment on "the best games" as that is highly subjective - while I've liked Sony's output this gen quite a bit, it's inherently subjective, different strokes and all that.

But yes, I do appreciate publishers having confidence in their output. Having the review embargo lifted well beforehand is assuring. Personally, I'm still wary of this game; but who knows, the reviews may get me to buy this at launch.

mckmas8808

I will not comment on "the best games" as that is highly subjective - while I've liked Sony's output this gen quite a bit, it's inherently subjective, different strokes and all that.

But yes, I do appreciate publishers having confidence in their output. Having the review embargo lifted well beforehand is assuring. Personally, I'm still wary of this game; but who knows, the reviews may get me to buy this at launch.

How do you guys know that reviewers will be getting the game early?

nowhat

How do you guys know that reviewers will be getting the game early?
Actually, checking OpenCritic, I don't - that has just been pretty consistent with Sony first party titles as of late, and especially since Days Gone has been postponed many times (and has "gone gold" some time ago), I think it's a reasonable assumption.

Tbone3336

Gold Member
ad should have ended with him holding the gun up to his head....

(in game, he would be rescued last minute OR it could have been a game over cinematic screen and he kills himself if Deacon gets overwhelmed in a segment.)

hire me Bend (or ad agency)

I like that! Would have been a great way to end that ad.

DanielsM

Banned
21 Things You Didn't Know. Some new game footage, at least to me. Keeps looking better and better.

Looks to me some of the melee has been upgraded, limbs get severed. Bike parts look fun as hell as well, ramps, interesting obstacles and bike chases. Zombies vs. Animal vs. Humans, etc.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
This game l
21 Things You Didn't Know. Some new game footage, at least to me. Keeps looking better and better.

Looks to me some of the melee has been upgraded, limbs get severed. Bike parts look fun as hell as well, ramps, interesting obstacles and bike chases. Zombies vs. Animal vs. Humans, etc.

This game looks good quality and fun, I'm all in..

zeorhymer

It piqued my interest, but I don't know if I can do another open world game. I may be burned out by so many of them.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
2 1/2 weeks until my most anticipated game since E3 2016 in Days Gone releases. I'm so hyped and can't wait.

mckmas8808

WOW! 1,000 likes to just 9 dislikes. This game is starting to look like the people's champion.

It piqued my interest, but I don't know if I can do another open world game. I may be burned out by so many of them.

I'm going to try to play one or two PSVR games between this and me beating RDR2 this month. NO WAY I'm playing both of these games back to back.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Looks generic as hell. I hope its good though for y'all PS4 folks.

By generic do you mean like nothing else out there? Cause seriously there is nothing else out there like this game. Sure you can cite RDR2 but even this has the hordes which will differentiate the games in a large way.

nowhat

This seems to be shaping up nicely - I wasn't that interested beforehand, but now this is in "strong maybe" territory.

While the decision to postpone the release for a couple of months may have been a business one (Anthem and Metro Exodus releasing around the same time, among other titles) it obviously has been beneficial. The performance in January was quite rough still.

Bryank75

Banned
This game on PS4 Pro looks gorgeous for an open world :
Vn5gOfL.gif

DG1.gif

9iurFvC.gif

1riwXA6.gif

Wow, I wasn't very optimistic about the game till I saw the previews and gifs all over the place, the last few days. Looks like they really put a lot into this, motorbike looks like serious fun.

Romulus

I’m not gonna let some odd “he’s a white guy” comments bother me. Really has nothing to do with the game, just some writer trying to snag some spotlight

I'm just going to start ignoring outlets that do this. No more clicks from me. Tired of these people try to be "stand up guys" this way. We have so many other real problems to worry about other than white guys in videogames.

HotPocket69

Banned
One hell of an easy platinum :pie_raybans:

http://www.powerpyx.com/days-gone-trophy-list-revealed/

As for the game, it looks like a very safe, competent and extremely familiar open world action adventure. It's got the guns, the crafting, the outposts (but in this case they're horde caves n shit), the Focus (slo mo) aiming, the radial menu (and Horizon-like slo mo that accompanies it when you open it), the Horizon tall grass to hide in, the list goes on. Pick a checklist item from any Far Cry or open world game this gen and Days Gone will have it covered in its in own way.

I don't think it'll be bad, but I'm not expecting it to blow minds and get 90+ review scores either. The one thing that looks p bad right out of the gate to me is the gunplay. The guns sound bad. The enemies just fall over dead with not much animation. There's zero response to the horde enemies being shot. That kinda stuff has always been key to me in games like this and to see it lacking, especially in a AAA exclusive kinda sucks and is a bit baffling, especially when this game has been in the oven for what, over five years?

Last edited:
Top Bottom