• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone Previews

GenericUser

21 Things You Didn't Know. Some new game footage, at least to me. Keeps looking better and better.

Looks to me some of the melee has been upgraded, limbs get severed. Bike parts look fun as hell as well, ramps, interesting obstacles and bike chases. Zombies vs. Animal vs. Humans, etc.

I watched that video and I've to say, honestly, this doesn't look and sound so special at all. Most of the stuff are things that you would more or less expect from a apocalyptical open world survival game in 2019 while some other things, like melee animations are downright bad if you ask me. No offense meant and I certainly hope I'll be proven wrong here, but so far I remain neutral. Will wait for reviews.

DanielsM

Banned
I watched that video and I've to say, honestly, this doesn't look and sound so special at all. Most of the stuff are things that you would more or less expect from a apocalyptical open world survival game in 2019 while some other things, like melee animations are downright bad if you ask me. No offense meant and I certainly hope I'll be proven wrong here, but so far I remain neutral. Will wait for reviews.

I always wait for the reviews. Who said the game is "special", I mean nothing special really about any game today, its all been done. I think it very solid looking, the weak point might be gun play, imo. No offense to me, heck, don't buy it - I doubt anyone notices, if its not your cup of tea there is nothing wrong with that. I don't even look at 95% of the games that come out, so I'm with you... if its not for you, its just not for you.

I'm expecting high 70s/mid 80s MC, a solid game, I'm going to be surprised if it breaks low 70s on the downside. I think a mini-hit probably 4-7m units, with only the Seikro and Rage 2 to even compete with.

If you like:
- zombie type games
- survival strategy games
- open world with the above
- cool bike riding
- ability to have fractions fight (zombies,animal,humans,etc)

This game might be for you, if not.... well its probably a good idea to look somewhere else. A min-RDR with zombies. Seems pretty clear cut as to what it is.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I always wait for the reviews. Who said the game is "special", I mean nothing special really about any game today, its all been done. I think it very solid looking, the weak point might be gun play, imo.

No offense to me, heck, don't buy it - I doubt anyone notices, if its not your cup of tea there is nothing wrong with that. I don't even look at 95% of the games that come out, so I'm with you... if its not for you, its just not for you.

Nah.....RDR2 is special. You may not like it, but it's special. And hopefully, Death Stranding is special too. There's still many special games out there. Astrobot is another one.

DanielsM

Banned
Nah.....RDR2 is special. You may not like it, but it's special. And hopefully, Death Stranding is special too. There's still many special games out there. Astrobot is another one.

I meant no individual part, its all been done. Is it special from a sum of its parts, yes, not one part that I think is great though. The melee isn't great and I don't think the combat is even remotely as good as Days Gone, but its more about all the parts.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
Bend and the delays did the game good, quite the picture for a open world game and on a 2013 console.

kingbean

I went from not caring to being mildly interested. Dunno if I'll get it at full price, but it seems like it might be a pretty good grab for 30-40 bucks.

Ogbert

A little more optimistic. The motorcycle looks fun.

I already feel like I've played this games a hundred times over, but if it's done well, I'm in.

nowhat

Nah.....RDR2 is special. You may not like it, but it's special.
I mean, sure. As in "special olympics". The game has a lot going for it, and it's undoubtedly huge. And even with the completely botched reconstruction on a Pro, and non-existent HDR on all platforms, it looks great with awesome draw distances, so kudos for the technical effort. But at the same time, the gameplay mechanics can be infuriating, navigating the UI makes you feel like you're playing Heavy Rain and for the most part, the mission design is really pedestrian. Whether GoW deserved all those GOTYs is debatable, but given those shortcomings, I'm glad RDR2 didn't get all the awards.

The graphics look pretty and the gameplay seems decent enough but I don't see much incentive to pre-order/pay full price and Sony games tend to get a sale relatively fast. Can probably get this for $40 before the summer ends. Still I went from not caring to somewhat interested so that's something. Personally I wished Bend worked more for the Vita but they're a solid studio and I guess this is their chance to get a seat at the big boys' table.

Evilms

Banned
q0jFJzH.gif

This crazy atmosphere o_O
image_days_gone-40221-3632_0005.jpg

Last edited:
I was planning to wait untill reviews drops but everything i've seen lately has convinced me that I will be entertained, and im fully aware of that it might get mediocre reviews but I dont care.

Pre ordered yesterday.

Evilms

Banned
For those who are worried about the day one patch and the rumor of 91GB, the game is exactly 67.51 GB with update 1.03.

1555956625-xd.png

Inside bend studio

Last edited:

desertdroog

the gap between Days Gone and States of Decay 2 is absurd and both use UE4.
If only both games could be melded together, or at least the base building and resource management of SoD2 could be implemented in this game.

I just got done with my SoD2 playing, so I am amped to see how this game manages resources.

Bryank75

Banned
I’m not really into motorcycles or the culture or anything, I’m certainly a car guy though. However, over the last month or so my anticipation for this has gone from less than zero to the high 80s now....
The gifs, video clips and positive impressions from people that have previewed or are reviewing it, have all really impressed me.
The snow video is astounding, hope the physics are on point.... I’d love some BOTW type butterfly effect stuff to happen in game.

Foxbat

Banned
the gap between Days Gone and States of Decay 2 is absurd and both use UE4.

While Days Gone certainly looks good, it's not really fair to compare Bend to Undead Labs. UL were an indie studio when they made SoD2.

Now that they're a MS studio, feel free to hammer them if their next game doesn't hold up.

I’m not really into motorcycles or the culture or anything, I’m certainly a car guy though. However, over the last month or so my anticipation for this has gone from less than zero to the high 80s now....
The gifs, video clips and positive impressions from people that have previewed or are reviewing it, have all really impressed me.
The snow video is astounding, hope the physics are on point.... I’d love some BOTW type butterfly effect stuff to happen in game.

Feel the exact same.

mckmas8808

In the jeuxvideo.com interview Sony Bend said that if Days Gone does well commercially, Bend will have their own mocap studio in their building (instead of using the Santa Monica's one located more than 1450km/900miles).

Part 1:

Part 2:

Ogbert

A lot of polish has been added. Looking better each day.

Still not sure about the gameplay though. Watched some melee combat and it looked pretty average. Need the guns to have some weight too.

No expecting anything amazing - just a good, solid zombie game.

A lot of polish has been added. Looking better each day.

Still not sure about the gameplay though. Watched some melee combat and it looked pretty average. Need the guns to have some weight too.

No expecting anything amazing - just a good, solid zombie game.

Maybe the horde and monster stuff with infected animals will be where the game shines gameplay wise.

I loved Horizon ZD but it didn't exactly handle human vs human combat well either, it's arguably the weakest component of the game. Horizon excelled with the spectacle of fighting giant deadly robots. Spider-Man excelled with it's awesome combat system that allowed you to tackle encounters in a variety of different ways. Both of those games had something to where it makes you not care that it's an open world.

What I worry about with Days Gone is it not having something that truly stands out gameplay wise that Horizon and Spider-Man have.

mckmas8808

Maybe the horde and monster stuff with infected animals will be where the game shines gameplay wise.

I loved Horizon ZD but it didn't exactly handle human vs human combat well either, it's arguably the weakest component of the game. Horizon excelled with the spectacle of fighting giant deadly robots. Spider-Man excelled with it's awesome combat system that allowed you to tackle encounters in a variety of different ways. Both of those games had something to where it makes you not care that it's an open world.

What I worry about with Days Gone is it not having something that truly stands out gameplay wise that Horizon and Spider-Man have.

Yeah HZD's great gameplay was against the machines. You are right the human to human fighting was just okay.

This guy said the game has 60+ hours of content!

Last edited:

June

This game looks to do nothing for me. Seems like uninspired, trend-following design. Same could be said for a lot of the big AAA games lately.

Last edited:
Top Bottom