• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising Unplayable in SD, No Solution Forthcoming by Chris Kohler

Leondexter said:
This may be the stupidest thread ever. We have a stupid bug, stupid defenses of Capcom/Microsoft/X360, stupid people with crappy TVs, stupid rationales for having the crappy TVs, stupid suggestions (get a VGA cable!), stupid statements (it works on my TV, so there is no bug), stupid(er than usual) Capcom ("we can't fix it, too bad"), and now me, bitching about how stupid it all is. What a wonderful world we live it, where this is a big deal.

Oh...and my stupid Xbox is broken, so I can't even play it (on my awesome HDTV). For the record, I side with the people with crappy TVs. They should be able to play this on the crappy TV if they want (not that I understand that). The X360 isn't HD-only, it's compatible with all TVs. So should all the game be.

This is not a stupid thread, this is a lesson for everybody that High Definition is nothing , gameplay is everything.

duckroll

future_pinoy said:
This is not a stupid thread, this is a lesson for everybody that High Definition is nothing , gameplay is everything.

It is? The only lesson I'm seeing so far is that people with SDTVs that cannot read the text are really ****ing pissed, the people with SDTVs that can read the text are annoyed that it's so small, and the people with HDTVs are pretty happy. :lol

GhaleonEB

duckroll said:
It is? The only lesson I'm seeing so far is that people with SDTVs that cannot read the text are really ****ing pissed, the people with SDTVs that can read the text are annoyed that it's so small, and the people with HDTVs are pretty happy. :lol
Lessons for me:

1) Don't trust reviews any longer. No one addressed this before it came out. Wait for impressions from gamers.
2) Play demos. Had I done so I would have known.
3) Even great developers like Capcom **** up royally.
4) If you have an HDTV, it's okay to tell SDTV owners to a) get a better job, b) suck it up and buy one, c) stop whining, d) it's not that small, my 1080p 62" tv displays the text just fine!, e) other random insulting and condecending remark.

sangreal

future_pinoy said:

I'm glad you bumped this thread from page 15. Very insightful post, will read again

sangreal

GhaleonEB said:
Lessons for me:

1) Don't trust reviews any longer. No one addressed this before it came out. Wait for impressions from gamers.

I'm pretty sure I read it in atleast one review. Maybe EGM? Probably should have had more coverage

2) Play demos. Had I done so I would have known.
Maybe, but there is very little text in the Demo.[/quote]

3) Even great developers like Capcom **** up royally.

I don't think they ****ed up, they just don't care. (I'm not defending this position)

duckroll

sangreal said:
I don't think they ****ed up, they just don't care. (I'm not defending this position)

They definitely ****ed up. Whether they care about ****ing up is another issue entirely. I don't think there's any debate on this matter, they ****ed up. Some of us with SDTVs that can read the text on component can still play the game, but it's STILL a **** up.

sangreal

duckroll said:
They definitely ****ed up. Whether they care about ****ing up is another issue entirely. I don't think there's any debate on this matter, they ****ed up. Some of us with SDTVs that can read the text on component can still play the game, but it's STILL a **** up.

What I mean is, the director in EGM flat out said you shouldn't be playing it with an SDTV. When I say they didn't **** up, I mean I don't think it was really an accident. They just didn't care about SDTV users

In the sense that its obviously a much bigger issue than they may have though, they certainly ****ed up

jett

D-Member
duckroll said:

I believe it was brought up to Inafune during an interview before the release of the game, and he basically said something like "I think people should buy HDTVs!". They don't give a ****. :p

GhaleonEB

sangreal said:
What I mean is, the director in EGM flat out said you shouldn't be playing it with an SDTV. When I say they didn't **** up, I mean I don't think it was really an accident. They just didn't care about SDTV users

In the sense that its obviously a much bigger issue than they may have though, they certainly ****ed up
Fair enough.

GhaleonEB

Klaxon said:
So, I got my 360 and I played the demo. Yes, the text is small, but I can read it.
What I absolutly can´t read are the tasks on the right...
The text that is really small doesn't appear in the demo, IIRC. It's character dialogue and mission updates. It might be the same as the tasks, though I thought the other stuff was even smaller.

Klaxon said:
So, I got my 360 and I played the demo. Yes, the text is small, but I can read it.
What I absolutly can´t read are the tasks on the right...

this is really a getting to be serious problem, when will we ever hear again from Capcom to address the issue, say gaffers I remember some months back that there is another game that is having some issues with SDTV because of the dark background was enhanced for HDTV, making it unplayable in SDTV, was Oblivion ?

bumpkin

Ya know, I thought at first the talk of the small text was simply a case of much adeiu about nothing, but after starting to play it last night, I'm finding it to be a bigger problem than I thought. I'm playing the game on a 27 inch standard TV, and any time I got a call from Otis, I would only get to read half of the message before it disappeared -- because it's so fuzzy -- that most the time, I didn't know what I was asked to do.

As an aside, when I died and started my game again, it's as though I could only do a new game, but start with the stats I had when I died. What's that about? Are you not given the option to continue from a save point like a typical game with save points?

X-Kalibur

Sometimes I'm getting the unreadable disk error. Anybody else has this problem? Should I go to the shop to change the game (it only happens with DR)?

Thanks.

GhaleonEB

bumpkin said:
Ya know, I thought at first the talk of the small text was simply a case of much adeiu about nothing, but after starting to play it last night, I'm finding it to be a bigger problem than I thought. I'm playing the game on a 27 inch standard TV, and any time I got a call from Otis, I would only get to read half of the message before it disappeared -- because it's so fuzzy -- that most the time, I didn't know what I was asked to do.

As an aside, when I died and started my game again, it's as though I could only do a new game, but start with the stats I had when I died. What's that about? Are you not given the option to continue from a save point like a typical game with save points?
When you die, you have two options:

1) Save the game, and start over with your current level character.
2) Continue from your last save point.

You might have selected the former by accident.

Also, you can only have one game saved per profile, per memory type (HDD/Mem card).

X-Kalibur said:
Sometimes I'm getting the unreadable disk error. Anybody else has this problem? Should I go to the shop to change the game (it only happens with DR)?

Thanks.
The text is so small, your 360 can't even read it.

GhaleonEB said:
When you die, you have two options:

1) Save the game, and start over with your current level character.
2) Continue from your last save point.

You might have selected the former by accident.

Also, you can only have one game saved per profile, per memory type (HDD/Mem card).

The text is so small, your 360 can't even read it.

:lol :lol :lol

Vrolokus

Banned
I'll admit right up front I have an HDTV, but: does it really matter if you can read the small text or not? The navigation arrow points you right where you need to go, and all the small text ever says is stuff like "Meet this person at this spot and this time".

I guess I don't see why the text being hard to read even matters - you don't need to read it.

rs7k

Vrolokus said:
I'll admit right up front I have an HDTV, but: does it really matter if you can read the small text or not? The navigation arrow points you right where you need to go, and all the small text ever says is stuff like "Meet this person at this spot and this time".

I guess I don't see why the text being hard to read even matters - you don't need to read it.

True, most of the story seems to told through cutscenes, and whatever silent conversations characters have aren't that important. But I just started the game, so maybe it's necessary to read at some point; I wouldn't know.

And yes the text is really small even on HDTV's. And my HDTV's not the best, I had to get the contrast down to get the text to sharpen.

Vrolokus said:

some of us need it

X-Kalibur said:

Thanks.
sounds like yor 360 is dying, hope you got sn extended warranty!!!

ckohler

Father_Brain said:
It may be hard to believe, but there used to be a time when Drinky's anti-Nintendo trolling was actually sometimes funny. *sigh* Not that I care much for Chris Kohler, but that's not really a subject for this thread (or forum).
Not than anyone but me cares but I'm not the same Chris Kohler who wrote that article. Although, Chris Kohler is my real name just in case there was any confusion.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
ckohler said:
Not than anyone but me cares but I'm not the same Chris Kohler who wrote that article. Although, Chris Kohler is my real name just in case there was any confusion.

I doubt there was, as Kobun Heat is Chris Kohler of ZZT fame, and everyone here already knows who he is...

Vrolokus

Banned
future_pinoy said:
some of us need it

Actually, you don't. That's my point. The color bars show you how much time you have left and the navigation arrow points you where you need to be. You're never asked to do anything more complicated than be at a certain place at a certain time, so the text is irrelevant.

I played through the entire game a few times and I can't even say for sure if I ever read any of it.

So this whole "Itz teh unplayable in SD!!1!!" is hyperbolic nonsense.

Vrolokus

Banned
Sgt. Killjoy said:
yea cause not knowing what is happening in the story is a blast!

Have you even played the game?

The game's plot isn't advanced in the small text - that's done in cutscenes with voice acting and (large, legible) subtitles. The small fonts are only used for either non-essential info (people thanking you for saving them, for example) or very superficial scoop details ("There is an old lady in the food court").

Downhome

While far from unplayable, you still aren't getting the full experience as was intended, and it is a very stupid design flaw.

Vrolokus

Banned
Downhome said:
While far from unplayable, you still aren't getting the full experience as was intended, and it is a very stupid design flaw.

I do agree with that. I'm just bristling at this thread's title, which might as well have been written by the SDF.

littlejay

i cant read the text and played 72 hour mode 5 times thorugh and overtime once. the game has simple missions. you either kill or save. overtime might be hard to read what you need to get but once agian. follow the arrow and thats all.

880/1000 achievements on a 13" sdtv :)

looks great too, just this one game has blurry text but not 100% unreadable

rs7k

They already said they won't fix it, there's enough "outrage" in the thread that I don't think more can be said anyway.

Brannon

So Capcom ****s up the (text/netcode/communication) for (Dead Rising/Steel Battalion/Resident Evil Outbreak) and then they say (deal/deal/deal).

Now I REALLY can't wait for Lost Planet...

Vrolokus said:
Have you even played the game?

The game's plot isn't advanced in the small text - that's done in cutscenes with voice acting and (large, legible) subtitles. The small fonts are only used for either non-essential info (people thanking you for saving them, for example) or very superficial scoop details ("There is an old lady in the food court").

i own it, and i am waiting for my vga cable to come in so i can see if it is readable or not.

DJ Brannon said:
So Capcom ****s up the (text/netcode/communication) for (Dead Rising/Steel Battalion/Resident Evil Outbreak) and then they say (deal/deal/deal).

Now I REALLY can't wait for Lost Planet...

if lost planet has the same problem, i don't know what I will do to my XBOX 360 !

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Downhome said:

According to Capcom, if you aren't playing Dead Rising on a HDTV, you aren't getting the full experience anyways.

BURN!

Top Bottom