• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising Unplayable in SD, No Solution Forthcoming by Chris Kohler

Flo_Evans

Isn't the point of your display to see what the 360 is outputing? People say they don't have 5 million for a 200" plasma, alternate cheap solution for those on a budget is suggested but thats not the point?

Flo_Evans said:
yeah that sucks but people have told you the solution and you don't want to hear it.

Ask around your friends and family and see if anyone has a CRT they don't use. It should not be hard. I tried to give away 4 of them today with no takers so I threw them away. Then you buy a $40 cable and all your troubles are over! You could probably buy the cable used at EB or ebay for even cheaper.
Jesus Christ. The point isn't the TV, the point is that the damned text is way too small.

bill0527

Aaron said:
In an odd way, this thread makes me believe the Wii is going to do really well. Xbox 360 and PS3 are machines the mass market overall isn't ready for.

I tend to agree with this. There is a huge disconnect out there already between the haves and have-nots among hardcore console gamers. It didn't used to be this way. I think the Wii will score big with the have-nots, but the problem is... more and more have-nots become haves every single day as new TVs are sold every day. Will the Wii be enough to satisfy someone who wants to get the most out of the serious money he just put down for a nice HDTV? Or will that person want to step up and get the most out of his new TV by buying a fully high-definition capable gaming console?

36WiiS3

krypt0nian said:
I don't know if I'm laughing harder at CAPCOM's screw up or the fact that people are playing on 14" TVs.
simple solution if your tv is:
5"to17" buy a DS
20"to100" buy a WII 360 or PS3 core
1080p buy a PS3 premium

/thread:lol

Aaron

bill0527 said:
I tend to agree with this. There is a huge disconnect out there already between the haves and have-nots among hardcore console gamers. It didn't used to be this way. I think the Wii will score big with the have-nots, but the problem is... more and more have-nots become haves every single day as new TVs are sold every day. Will the Wii be enough to satisfy someone who wants to get the most out of the serious money he just put down for a nice HDTV? Or will that person want to step up and get the most out of his new TV by buying a fully high-definition capable gaming console?
The situation will gradually improve, but I'm seriously thinking MS and Sony have jumped the gun here, and should have waited until the next console cycle to push Hi-def, while Nintendo stands to reap the windfall of their error, and so will have more than enough capital and ability to leap into Hi-def when the majority can benefit. Nintendo fans in hi-def will settle, and non-fans are probably too 'hardcore' for the Wii anyway.

Dead Rising looks just fine in the 8-foot image from my 720p projector. I really don't see what the problem is.

If you can't afford a new television for whatever reason, surely a pair of off-the-shelf reading glasses would at least be within your budget?

Or perhaps one of your servants has better eyesight and can read the text for you. Instead of whinging, one should always try to find a solution!

b17godfrey.jpg

mollipen

svenuce said:
What's funny is back in 2000, when MS first announced the Xbox, a lot of people gave them shit for including an ethernet jack on every box, and requiring broadband access for online play when Live was finally delivered nearly 2 years later.

You knew ahead of time that you wouldn't be able to play the game online if you only had dial-up. SDTV owners didn't know they wouldn't be able to read s**t before they purchased DR.

There's also the fact that, if created properly, there is NO reason that a game shouldn't be perfectly playable on both SDTV and HDTV. There is legitimate reason for a game being playable over broadband but not dial-up.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
this thread makes my head hurt.

(kinda like the text in dead rising! *rimshot*)

Tellaerin

krypt0nian said:
I don't know if I'm laughing harder at CAPCOM's screw up or the fact that people are playing on 14" TVs.

Yeah, it's nice to have a good laugh at the expense of those who have less than you, huh? And it's even better when you can make unfounded assumptions about them to boot, like some of the other posters in this thread. I never would have imagined that anyone who doesn't own an HDTV is a lazy slacker who needs to get off their ass and get a better job, and doesn't deserve to be able to play next-gen games until they upgrade their TV/job/life. This thread taught me all that and more.

Cronox

Banned
I'm sure this was addressed somewhere in this somewhat lengthy thread, but as a college student with a 21 inch Sony Trinitron TV/VCR combo, the talking text, and text for missions is plain unreadable. I don't need to be told to get a bigger TV, or a better TV. Mine is the college dorm standard size. I'm just glad I beat the game on an HDTV over the summer.

GilloD

Banned
bill0527 said:
Oh I'm crying a river over here for your high rent and bills that keep you from enjoying the finer things in life.

Maybe you should have done a little research before mr. cash-strapped purchased a $400 device that has been marketed from the get-go as a high-definition gaming device with SDTV being an afterthough.

Christmas is coming, maybe Santa will bring you a nice $150 widescreen monitor and a $40 VGA cable.

*Goes off to play Dead Rising on my 48" Widescreen.*, LOL LOL LOL LOL

LOL OMG. A hur hur. You jackoff. EVERY OTHER GAME from PGR3 to Oblvion to Geometry Wars plays FINE on an SDTV. Therefore, it is an HD-optional system LOL. This game is an aberration, not a call to arms, not a messiah on the cross of HD-enthusiasts. It's a **** up, not a rallying cry.

HDTV should not be necessary to play teh game. And if it is, stick that on the box.

ninge

The text in this game is rediculously small and hard to read on my 120" projector running in VGA - christ knows how anyone can defend it.

123rl

GilloD said:
LOL OMG. A hur hur. You jackoff. EVERY OTHER GAME from PGR3 to Oblvion to Geometry Wars plays FINE on an SDTV. Therefore, it is an HD-optional system LOL. This game is an aberration, not a call to arms, not a messiah on the cross of HD-enthusiasts. It's a **** up, not a rallying cry.

HDTV should not be necessary to play teh game. And if it is, stick that on the box.

It isn't the only game that has done this. Plenty of 360 games have been unreadable at 480i. Dead Rising is definitely not the first game to make this mistake

one more time, i don't think there's anyone here that thinks that capcom SHOULDN'T fix this for our 14 to 17 inch tv owning friends.

we all agree. it should be fixed. what we're trying to do is to say 'hey if you could afford $400 for a console and $60 for a game, maybe you should think about at least getting the vga cable and a CRT monitor if you haven't got one because you're totally not getting the most out of your system on that set'.

i mean, even if you DON'T have a CRT you can get yourself a cable and a brand new decent name brand 17" monitor for less than the cost of three games.

YES they should fix the problem for you guys, but we aren't ALL just being dicks saying 'LOLS BUY A $3000 TV'.

you bought a console that targets 1280 x 720. you're running it at a lower resolution, even if you can read the text in every damn game you're losing out in other ways.

Gattsu25

Banned
plagiarize said:
you bought a console that targets 1280 x 720. you're running it at a lower resolution, even if you can read the text in every damn game you're losing out in other ways.
You're still able to enjoy the games though

Do you know what would happen to sales if PC games only supported the top end machines? How many PC games *only* ship on DVD?

I'm not saying that developers should make games with the lowest common denominator as their target audience, but they shouldn't just kick them to the curb...I'm quite sure that many 360 owners own HDTVs, but I'm also pretty damn sure that it's not 70% or more of 360 owners...with a move like this that can render a game nearly unplayable for 30+% of your potential userbase, a warning on the box is the least they could have done

rs7k

You can get a HDTV really cheap though. I got mine for $449 CAD, and it's a CRT. I'm not in the "LOL UPGRADE YOU LAMERZ LOL" camp though, just a heads-up. I wouldn't spend more than what I did on a TV.

But yeah, I think it's inexcusable for Capcom to even say themselves that it's impossible to fix the issue (if it's as widespread as GAF makes it seem to be). If it's a problem for a lot of users, then Capcom should have to fix it.

Xenon

:lol someone needs to change that title to "If your tv is smaller than your 360 power supply, you can not read text in dead rising"

Gattsu25 said:
You're still able to enjoy the games though

Do you know what would happen to sales if PC games only supported the top end machines? How many PC games *only* ship on DVD?
that's the wrong analogy though.

the right analogy would be buying a really high end graphics card cable of maxing out any existing game at a resolution higher than your monitor supports. until you got an adequate monitor your fancy high end graphics card would be underperforming and not worth all the money you spent on it.

i could list a few PC games that only ship on DVD but again that's a seperate thing. PC games should all be shipping on DVD by now.

there are PC games where the text, menus and hud take up stupid amounts of screenspace at lower resolutions, and there are pc games where the text is so small at high resolutions that it's hard to read.

again I THINK YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO READ THE TEXT IN DEAD RISNG AND THAT CAPCOM SHOULD PATCH IT.

i'm not saying that you shouldn't be able to play every game out there... i'm saying that, you aren't using your system to it's fullest and you are missing out and that it can be resolved for less than the cost of 3 new games even if you don't own a CRT monitor already.

GilloD

Banned
I think something else you guys need to take into account is that we're all relatively educated consumers on GAF. Ma and Pa Blow and their Joe don't know jack about this stuff.

StRaNgE

Banned
svenuce said:
What's funny is back in 2000, when MS first announced the Xbox, a lot of people gave them shit for including an ethernet jack on every box, and requiring broadband access for online play when Live was finally delivered nearly 2 years later.

Ultimately, Live became the primary differentiating factor of the platform and the online experience delivered far better than the half baked narrowband/broadband half-measures that Sony put forward.

The moral of the story is, these systems have to be workable for four to five years in the market place and must take advantage of the trends. HD is a fast growing trend and in the US has more house hold penetration than broadband did back in 2001 when the Xbox launched.

HD TV will definitely come around fast, especially once content like games and tv broadcasts really start driving the adoption.

don't ya mean once you can get a nice size flat screen for the Magic price of 200-300 bones ?

when that happens BAMN! they'll be everywhere. till then; ehhh, not so much.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
the right analogy would be buying a really high end graphics card cable of maxing out any existing game at a resolution higher than your monitor supports. until you got an adequate monitor your fancy high end graphics card would be underperforming and not worth all the money you spent on it.
That's kinda what I was thinking...

I mean, who is going to buy a $500 video card and then proceed to use it on a 1993, 14" 640x480 max resolution CRT monitor? There is more to TVs than simply HD and SD, you know. Amongst SDTVs, there are a wide variety of sets all varying in quality. People with decent SDTVs are still able to read the text, so it's not even about owning an HDTV at this point, it's about the general quality of your TV.

If you are using a dirt cheap, piece of shit display with your 360, you're in the same group as those using that old monitor on their shiny new video card. If you can afford to buy a few games, you can afford a TV that will properly display your games. If you aren't willing to spend a little bit of money on a display device that can do this, don't complain when your games don't display properly.

There is a point where you have to cut out bottom end users and start moving forward or else you'll never see any progress at all. If you are playing your XBOX360 on a 10 year old 14" CRT with composite cables, it's time to upgrade. Expecting the latest games to perform properly on an ancient television hardly differs from expecting the latest PC games to run on your 8 year old 3D card. Do you think the people who spent hundreds of dollars on a pair of Voodoo 2 cards back in 98 are still expecting the latest software to run on their hardware? Hell no. If they were supporting such hardware still today, the bar would be so low that we'd see no progress at all. PC games may support lower end hardware, but there is a limit to how low they will go. It's the same situation here. Dead Rising can be displayed properly on an SDTV provided that TV meets a certain level of quality.

koam

Skilotonn said:
So you're telling me that you'd rather sit and stick with graphics that you KNOW look better (you're even playing Oblivion on a bad TV? Damn...) instead of making a little investment to get the true graphics? It's one thing to not be a graphics whore and hate on a game with poor visuals as long as it's fun, but to actually enjoy muddled graphics that don't even let you see what the game really looks like is beyond me... that was no problem with last-gen but to me, it makes no sense for next-gen gaming...

And what does the 360's drive have to do with the high quality of the trailers on Marketplace? That makes no sense, unless we had to buy trailers on a disc and pop it into my 360... which we don't...

And once again, the DR text thing sucks, but man, you're only ruining the games by playing them the way you do...

Oh, and by the way, can your TV even use component cables? Because I'm positive that if you used them, it would make a world of difference if you're not even using them to begin with...

Get something in your head. I DON'T ****ING CARE ABOUT GRAPHICS. How hard is that to understand? Graphics don't make a game any more enjoyable. And wtf are you talking about? Muddled graphics? The graphics look way better than anything on current gen, have you even played the game on SD to see the difference? They're just not as sharp as they could be and you know what, I DON'T GIVE A SHIT. I've been playing videogames for 22 years, i'm not suddenly going to stop because the resolution isn't super sharp.

In case you haven't been paying attention, I HAVE an HDTV it's just not setup cause of space issues in my new place. My point is that is completly and utterly inexcusable to have that super small font and to not fully test it on SDTVs. No my TV doesn't have component, it's hooked up to S-Video. I could just imagine how awful the text looks like on composite.

rs7k

dark10x said:
That's kinda what I was thinking...

I mean, who is going to buy a $500 video card and then proceed to use it on a 1993, 14" 640x480 max resolution CRT monitor? There is more to TVs than simply HD and SD, you know. Amongst SDTVs, there are a wide variety of sets all varying in quality. People with decent SDTVs are still able to read the text, so it's not even about owning an HDTV at this point, it's about the general quality of your TV.

If you are using a dirt cheap, piece of shit display with your 360, you're in the same group as those using that old monitor on their shiny new video card. If you can afford to buy a few games, you can afford a TV that will properly display your games. If you aren't willing to spend a little bit of money on a display device that can do this, don't complain when your games don't display properly.

There is a point where you have to cut out bottom end users and start moving forward or else you'll never see any progress at all. If you are playing your XBOX360 on a 10 year old 14" CRT with composite cables, it's time to upgrade. Expecting the latest games to perform properly on an ancient television hardly differs from expecting the latest PC games to run on your 8 year old 3D card. Do you think the people who spent hundreds of dollars on a pair of Voodoo 2 cards back in 98 are still expecting the latest software to run on their hardware? Hell no. If they were supporting such hardware still today, the bar would be so low that we'd see no progress at all. PC games may support lower end hardware, but there is a limit to how low they will go. It's the same situation here. Dead Rising can be displayed properly on an SDTV provided that TV meets a certain level of quality.

:lol :lol I like that post with your avatar.

Good point though, listen to him. At least you won't have to change TVs every two years like you do with graphics cards. The analogy is good though.

Bodom78

lol, people are still complaining. Capcom said there is no fix planned, we know there is a problem so if your thinking of getting this game but have a crap TV then don't buy it, if you already bought it and can't handle the small text or trying some of the suggested fixes then trade in the game and move on.

OK mods, close the thread :D

Bodom78 said:
lol, people are still complaining. Capcom said there is no fix planned, we know there is a problem so if your thinking of getting this game but have a crap TV then don't buy it, if you already bought it and can't handle the small text or trying some of the suggested fixes then trade in the game and move on.

Buy the game even if you don't own a TV and you have to play your games using woodchips and chewing gum.

Azih

There is a point where you have to cut out bottom end users and start moving forward or else you'll never see any progress at all.
Which has absolutely nothing to do with the size of the damn text in a game. SDTV owners are already missing out on a lot of the graphical flair that devs put into their games which is fine for everybody (High end users get the fancy effects, Low end users happy with just the gameplay). But to make it so owners of a certain TV can't even read mission text is unacceptable.

All you have to do is compare the start screen in the Lost Planet and Dead Rising demos. The PRESS START on the splash screen is a good size in LP even on sdtvs of any stripe while it's tiny in Dead Rising.

Man if Faf is right then I'm glad I'm not a software developer in Japan. The coding methods are beyond archaic.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Azih said:
Which has absolutely nothing to do with the size of the damn text in a game. SDTV owners are already missing out on a lot of the graphical flair that devs put into their games which is fine for everybody (High end users get the fancy effects, Low end users happy with just the gameplay). But to make it so owners of a certain TV can't even read mission text is unacceptable.
First of all, text size does indeed relate to progress as higher resolution displays can allow for smaller text which is something I highly appreciate and support. Most console games stay away from using TT fonts, unfortunately. I'm not suggesting that Capcom isn't wrong here, but I am suggesting that, in general, using a TV that can't display the text in DR is very much akin to using outdated software or hardware. Microsoft isn't going to support your copy of Windows 98, you know. The font used in DR *CAN* be viewed on SDTVs and it is entirely possible that they DID test the game on such displays and found it to be perfectly acceptable.

Again, this is an HD vs SD argument here; it's a quality versus shit argument. A good SDTV will suffice for Dead Rising while a low quality SDTV will not.

The days of giant, overblown console HUDs are coming to an end (thankfully). Of course, that doesn't mean developers should not persue alternatives for those using outdated equipment. A PS3 developer recently noted that they are looking into using TT fonts within their games using one of the SPEs on the Cell. That's a positive step in the right direction.

rs7k said:
You can get a HDTV really cheap though. I got mine for $449 CAD, and it's a CRT. I'm not in the "LOL UPGRADE YOU LAMERZ LOL" camp though, just a heads-up. I wouldn't spend more than what I did on a TV.

But yeah, I think it's inexcusable for Capcom to even say themselves that it's impossible to fix the issue (if it's as widespread as GAF makes it seem to be). If it's a problem for a lot of users, then Capcom should have to fix it.

agree to that

sangreal

I was reading the interview in the new EGM and they asked the producer about the small text and he just laughed and said you shouldn't buy a 360 if you don't have an HDTV

I retain my stance that dead rising is perfectly playable on my 480i SDTV :D

Azih

dark10x said:
First of all, text size does indeed relate to progress as higher resolution displays can allow for smaller text which is something I highly appreciate and support.
And none of the text in DR was so voluminous as to not fit on even a freaking 10" TV frankly. You're speaking in general while I'm focusing on just the issue with Dead Rising so we're speaking past each other a bit. And yes higher res means more text is possible. But the extremely text heavy Oblivion handled it just fine. SDTV owners just have to scroll more and have more of their in game view blocked when they're reading, that's fine, it's an inconveneince. But you're getting all the damn info you need.

I'm not suggesting that Capcom isn't wrong here, but I am suggesting that, in general, using a TV that can't display the text in DR is very much akin to using outdated software or hardware.
Which is fine if the console box has a minimum specs required text. It doesn't. If the game said WIDESCREEN REQUIRED on the retail box then no one had any basis to complain. But it doesn't.
Microsoft isn't going to support your copy of Windows 98, you know.
and the games I buy say XP required.

The font used in DR *CAN* be viewed on SDTVs
The demo Case Screen is Horrifyingly bad on my TV
and it is entirely possible that they DID test the game on such displays and found it to be perfectly acceptable.
Then their QA process sucks shit.

A good SDTV will suffice for Dead Rising while a low quality SDTV will not.
I have a good SDTV.

sangreal said:
I was reading the interview in the new EGM and they asked the producer about the small text and he just laughed and said you shouldn't buy a 360 if you don't have an HDTV

thats beside the point

GhaleonEB

Bodom78 said:

If you bought a highly anticipated game, one you are really looking forward to, and you couldn't read shit for the in-game text and then lost $25 on the trade in, you might feel different.

MMaRsu

Banned
sangreal said:

:\

Xellotah

GhaleonEB said:
If you bought a highly anticipated game, one you are really looking forward to, and you couldn't read shit for the in-game text and then lost $25 on the trade in, you might feel different.

I think in future, Companies should put a warning on their games for games that do no work well on SDTV, a bit like those 60Hz only stickers we have in the UK.

Azih said:
I have a good SDTV.
if you can't read the text on your SDTV and other SDTV owners can then either your TV isn't as good as you think (despite what brand it may be, despite what it cost you) or you're using poor cables.

you do raise an interesting point. do most QA departments test stuff on 15" inch sets or not? i honestly don't know.

Thread was over after Stinkles post.

Just a bunch of exaggerating from both sides now.

"UNPLAYABLE"
"BUT 14 INCH TVS SHOULD BE ILLEGAL"

LAFFO

Thread summary:

SDTV is for suckers, as far as next gen in general goes.

IMO, if you can't afford the full experience why buy the high end machine?

Would you buy a super video card and still use an outdated moniter, incapable of fully displaying the visuals of the card?

There are people that are gonna go out and spend $600 bucks on a new PS3 and run it on an old, faulty setup.

Whaaaa????

I simply can't wrap my head around that type of thinking.

But that's just me.

And yes, I have a XBOX 360 AND HDTV for the record.

Variable

Stop defending this GAF! 90% of people who will own an Xbox 360 will not have an HDTV for a while. Game companies should realize this and make sure to test their games accordingly. Anyone who thinks otherwise is very ignorant.

sangreal

Variable said:
Stop defending this GAF! 90% of people who will own an Xbox 360 will not have an HDTV for a while. Game companies should realize this and make sure to test their games accordingly. Anyone who thinks otherwise is very ignorant.

Way to make up statistics and ignore the fact that this issue does NOT affect everyone with an SDTV

Top Bottom