• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising Unplayable in SD, No Solution Forthcoming by Chris Kohler

Variable

sangreal said:
Way to make up statistics and ignore the fact that this issue does NOT affect everyone with an SDTV

Okay, next time ill just say a vast majority. And why are you on capcom's side, do you work for them?

GilloD

Banned
Variable said:
Stop defending this GAF! 90% of people who will own an Xbox 360 will not have an HDTV for a while. Game companies should realize this and make sure to test their games accordingly. Anyone who thinks otherwise is very ignorant.

HD penetration is WAY higher among 360 users than the average consumer. HOWEVER. That's no excuse. It's like driving a car on gas for a decade and suddenly being told that only SUPER GAS will run your car now.

sangreal

Variable said:
Okay, next time ill just say a vast majority. And why are you on capcom's side, do you work for them?

No, I do not. I just think the whole thing is blown out of proportion. The text is annoying but the game is hardly unplayable.

also, the suggestions capcom offered seem to work okay

my TV sucks by the way

Xenon

And none of the text in DR was so voluminous as to not fit on even a freaking 10" TV frankly. You're speaking in general while I'm focusing on just the issue with Dead Rising so we're speaking past each other a bit. And yes higher res means more text is possible. But the extremely text heavy Oblivion handled it just fine. SDTV owners just have to scroll more and have more of their in game view blocked when they're reading, that's fine, it's an inconveneince. But you're getting all the damn info you need.

Oblivion is a different type of game. The game pauses for all of the text. DR has multiple menus some of which happen with the game still live. I'd hate to have to sit through an Otis conversation that would take 5-8 cuts. =P Its not like all SD sets are screw just the bottom end.

Its like buying an expensive sports car, using only on dirt roads and complaining about the handling.

The 360 is designed around HD if you can't handle that then wait for the wii.

Az987

all good things
I remember something like this happening with King Kong for 360.

Seemed the devolpers didnt test it at all on a regular set and the brightness level made it basically unplayable :lol

Stupid ****ing devolpers. Youd think theyd realize there is a difference between HD and SD. Oh well, glad my HDTV has 10000:1 contrast

dark10x said:
Anyone try their 360 on one of these babies yet?

B00009W3T2.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
when i play table tennis i can't tell what kind of spin they've used because i can't see the colours.

ROCKSTAR NEED TO PATCH IT NOW

(and remember kiddies i think Capcom should patch Dead Rising).

and the super gas thing happened with unleaded fuel. at least in england. it'll happen again.

bill0527

Variable said:
Stop defending this GAF! 90% of people who will own an Xbox 360 will not have an HDTV for a while. Game companies should realize this and make sure to test their games accordingly. Anyone who thinks otherwise is very ignorant.

Wow, you just couldn't be possibly more wrong.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=11488

He continued, "In fact, Xbox 360 is the killer app for HDTV adoption. It's driving HDTV monitor sales. A recent study concluded that 9 out of 10 Xbox 360 owners have either purchased or intend to purchase an HDTV in the next six months. And 90 percent of them say that it was Xbox 360 that is the primary reason for making that purchase, 90 percent of them say it's about Xbox 360."

Azih

dark10x said:
OK, what's the make and model?
Well I won't be able to tell you until I get home. So I'll stall on the discussion till then. Plus I focused on the Case History Screen which was EXTREMELY tiny for me. The subtitles during gameplay that everyone keeps talking about was... ok. Complete crap from an ease of use prespecitve but legible.

Oldschoolgamer said:
Because maybe they like to play videogames?

I like to play games too, but let's take Crysis for example.

I would love to play that game on PC ( it looks amazing) but if I can't get it looking top notch, then I'm gonna pass until I can.That isn't to say that I'll NEVER play it, it's just that I wanna experience it the WAY IT WAS INTENDED.

This is also the case concerning the SDTV vs. the HDTV experience.

Azih

DR has multiple menus some of which happen with the game still live.
and what I'm telling you is that there was more than enough SPACE on the TV to handle a much larger font size then what was used. In any case Resident Evil games have no problem with completely blocking the screen with a menu without pausing the action which is the hectic strained expereince they're trying to achieve anyway.

As for the 'why would you buy an xbox 360 if you don't have HD', well Dead Rising is the perfect example. The whole POINT of Dead Rising is that you can have 50 zombies shuffling about on screen doing their own thing with no slowdown at all, THAT'S what the next gen power is used for and THAT is much more important then how much of the detail in the main guy's jacket I can see. Plus it's completely accessible to everyone who plays the game.

Bodom78

Variable said:

Don't know about the others but I'm Capcom's side because they make fantasic games that appeal to my tastes and I have a HDTV :p

GhaleonEB

Bodom78 said:
Don't know about the others but I'm Capcom's side because they make fantasic games that appeal to my tastes and I have a HDTV :p
well there you go. I don't know why people with an HDTV are even discussing this; it does not impact you

Xenon

GhaleonEB said:
well there you go. I don't know why people with an HDTV are even discussing this; it does not impact you

Yes it does. If they start developing games with 13-19" sd TVs in mind I'm going to have to deal with huge fonts in my menus. Thinking that devs are going to give us the option to choose which we want is just kidding yourself.

That's why I prefer consoles to PCs, not having to deal with that type of shit.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
The game is playable. Very playable. It just would be nice if I didn't have to get up from y chair and go up the screen to try and make out what's being said.

GhaleonEB

Xenon said:
Yes it does. If they start developing games with 13-19" sd TVs in mind I'm going to have to deal with huge fonts in my menus. Thinking that devs are going to give us the option to choose which we want is just kidding yourself.

That's why I prefer consoles to PCs, not having to deal with that type of shit.
Are you on crack? (shut the curtains! lock the door!)

Tellaerin said:
Yeah, it's nice to have a good laugh at the expense of those who have less than you, huh? And it's even better when you can make unfounded assumptions about them to boot, like some of the other posters in this thread. I never would have imagined that anyone who doesn't own an HDTV is a lazy slacker who needs to get off their ass and get a better job, and doesn't deserve to be able to play next-gen games until they upgrade their TV/job/life. This thread taught me all that and more.

Actually if you cannot afford more than a 14" tv (who knew they still made them?) then you may want to upgrade before buying a 360. And I said NOTHING about a HD set. Hell get a decent SD set. 14" is laughable for any viewing need. Maybe a nice in dash GPS/Nav. :lol

Nikashi

Banned
For the record, I have a 27" SDTV, using component inputs, and while the text is annoyingly small, it is also readable.

Nikashi

Banned
krypt0nian said:

Yeah, pretty much. 360 games look great, text elements in most cases are quite crisp, and when I get an HDTV, it will be like an 'upgrade' for my 360 and ALL the games for it I have. So it's all good.

krypt0nian said:
Actually if you cannot afford more than a 14" tv (who knew they still made them?) then you may want to upgrade before buying a 360. And I said NOTHING about a HD set. Hell get a decent SD set. 14" is laughable for any viewing need. Maybe a nice in dash GPS/Nav. :lol

<shakes head> You are so wrong for that. :lol

This thread still chugging along? People are ignoring the truth of the matter, which is that the text in DR doesn't matter at all. To progress in the game you may need to recognize an occasional word which they bold and color red to catch your eye.

Son of Godzilla said:
This thread still chugging along? People are ignoring the truth of the matter, which is that the text in DR doesn't matter at all. To progress in the game you may need to recognize an occasional word which they bold and color red to catch your eye.
next you'll be telling me that people play imported games that are in languages they don't know!

I sometimes switch the 360 over to a 27" sdtv s-video when the rare instance happens that the significant other just has to watch a chick-flick on the 51" HD (via component when 360 is hooked up) and I just have to play Dead Rising.

The text is certainly small, but otherwise readable and the game looks great. Perhaps the composite cables might blur it up just enough to be a problem.

frogg609

I have a 27" Sharp I bought 2 or 3 years ago with Composite cables, and unfortunately, I have to sit on my floor, on front of my tv to see the text. I can read it from there, but not from my couch.

Unfortunately, I will not be buying an HDTV for at least a year (if not more), so my ass will continue to get sore from sitting on the floor to play this one game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
frogg609 said:
I have a 27" Sharp I bought 2 or 3 years ago with Composite cables, and unfortunately, I have to sit on my floor, on front of my tv to see the text. I can read it from there, but not from my couch.

Unfortunately, I will not be buying an HDTV for at least a year (if not more), so my ass will continue to get sore from sitting on the floor to play this one game.
Hmm, I'd imagine that the Sharp you are using will accept at LEAST s-video. Why don't you run out and buy an s-video cable? Seriously, the difference will be HUGE.

frogg609

dark10x said:
Hmm, I'd imagine that the Sharp you are using will accept at LEAST s-video. Why don't you run out and buy an s-video cable? Seriously, the difference will be HUGE.

I'm sorry, I made a typo, I meant component, not composite.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
BuckRobotron said:
I sometimes switch the 360 over to a 27" sdtv s-video when the rare instance happens that the significant other just has to watch a chick-flick on the 51" HD (via component when 360 is hooked up) and I just have to play Dead Rising.

The text is certainly small, but otherwise readable and the game looks great. Perhaps the composite cables might blur it up just enough to be a problem.

haven't you learnt anything from this thread? 360 *demands* HDTV goodness - ideally 50". Shit Chick Flicks are all soft focus crap anyway, so perfect for the little SDTV.

Prince

bill0527 said:
Wow, you just couldn't be possibly more wrong.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=11488

Quote:
He continued, "In fact, Xbox 360 is the killer app for HDTV adoption. It's driving HDTV monitor sales. A recent study concluded that 9 out of 10 Xbox 360 owners have either purchased or intend to purchase an HDTV in the next six months. And 90 percent of them say that it was Xbox 360 that is the primary reason for making that purchase, 90 percent of them say it's about Xbox 360."

These people who have bought a 360 in it's first year are probably also early adopters with all kinds of electronics.

The older the 360 will get (and cheaper) i expect the number of people using SD tv's to outgrow the HDTV users even more.

So this isn't a thing developer should overlook.

mrklaw said:
haven't you learnt anything from this thread? 360 *demands* HDTV goodness - ideally 50". Shit Chick Flicks are all soft focus crap anyway, so perfect for the little SDTV.

:lol Yeah yeah, 360 without access to a big HDTV isn't the best choice. But still, I've seen that most games still look quite good on the likes of that 27" SD through at least s-video.

Hell, the forced letterbox games (usually of Japanese origin) such as Dead Rising, DW5E, and RR6 still look quite nice on it.

Variable said:

agree to that

rs7k

To be fair, I was in the "I don't need an HDTV" camp for a while, but I had to get one because:

1. I got a cheap brand new Core console on eBay (think just over $200, I was given a second chance offer because the buyer bailed).

2. I had to buy a separate component cable because composite sucks and I had never tried component before and my TV had a free input.

3. Turns out component on my TV looked worse than S-video, because the reds were way too much and everything looked washed out. It felt like I was playing Oblivion on a Voodoo3 whenever I looked at a character (the part where you choose your character, his face was always deep red no matter how much I changed the complexion setting).

4. I had my PS2 hooked up to S-video, and I only had one input. I didn't want to keep switching inputs around and/or buying a new cable, so I just shelved my 360 for a month and a half. That's right, I didn't touch my 360 at all and kept playing my PS2. In fact, I think I'm still just going to play PS2 for a while until I get in the next-gen mood.

5. I just decided to get a new TV. The Toshiba 26HF85 I got from Best Buy was $449 CAD + tax. It weighed 94 lbs., and it only cost $15 to ship!

6. Now the jump from SD to HD is large, but it's really not that huge unless your SD tv was crap. I had a very good SDTV that I bought 2 or 3 years ago (Sony 27" Trinitron with "fake" 16x9 mode).

7. With that said, if you have a good SDTV, you should be able to read the text in Dead Rising. And you should be satisfied if you aren't a graphics whore. Yes HD is awesome, but you get used to the graphics very quickly. I have a feeling it won't be until the 3rd gen of games (or maybe 2nd gen) that we'll see a very large difference between SD graphics and HD graphics. It's big already, but I have a feeling that this generation, textures will be limited anyways since these consoles only have 512 MB of RAM. Once the PS4 comes out, or whatever the MSFT equivalent will be, it will be absolutely necessary to justify the cost that comes with the upgrade.

Right now, I'd say I wish I waited to get a 360 since I'm so used to the vast quantity of good and available games on PS2 and XB. I can't wait till next-gen ramps up though.

/thread

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
This is the most stupid bug I had ever seen in a game. How dare Capcom to produce a game like that? WTF!? seriously WTF!!!!!??

rs7k said:
To be fair, I was in the "I don't need an HDTV" camp for a while, but I had to get one because:

1. I got a cheap brand new Core console on eBay (think just over $200, I was given a second chance offer because the buyer bailed).

2. I had to buy a separate component cable because composite sucks and I had never tried component before and my TV had a free input.

3. Turns out component on my TV looked worse than S-video, because the reds were way too much and everything looked washed out. It felt like I was playing Oblivion on a Voodoo3 whenever I looked at a character (the part where you choose your character, his face was always deep red no matter how much I changed the complexion setting).

4. I had my PS2 hooked up to S-video, and I only had one input. I didn't want to keep switching inputs around and/or buying a new cable, so I just shelved my 360 for a month and a half. That's right, I didn't touch my 360 at all and kept playing my PS2. In fact, I think I'm still just going to play PS2 for a while until I get in the next-gen mood.

5. I just decided to get a new TV. The Toshiba 26HF85 I got from Best Buy was $449 CAD + tax. It weighed 94 lbs., and it only cost $15 to ship!

6. Now the jump from SD to HD is large, but it's really not that huge unless your SD tv was crap. I had a very good SDTV that I bought 2 or 3 years ago (Sony 27" Trinitron with "fake" 16x9 mode).

7. With that said, if you have a good SDTV, you should be able to read the text in Dead Rising. And you should be satisfied if you aren't a graphics whore. Yes HD is awesome, but you get used to the graphics very quickly. I have a feeling it won't be until the 3rd gen of games (or maybe 2nd gen) that we'll see a very large difference between SD graphics and HD graphics. It's big already, but I have a feeling that this generation, textures will be limited anyways since these consoles only have 512 MB of RAM. Once the PS4 comes out, or whatever the MSFT equivalent will be, it will be absolutely necessary to justify the cost that comes with the upgrade.

Right now, I'd say I wish I waited to get a 360 since I'm so used to the vast quantity of good and available games on PS2 and XB. I can't wait till next-gen ramps up though.

/thread

your right in you assumption that its not great of a leap from SDTV to HDTV, and current owners of HDTV are just guinnea pigs, until the manufacturers perfected and standardized it. I think 5 to 6 years for now will be a good bet.

This may be the stupidest thread ever. We have a stupid bug, stupid defenses of Capcom/Microsoft/X360, stupid people with crappy TVs, stupid rationales for having the crappy TVs, stupid suggestions (get a VGA cable!), stupid statements (it works on my TV, so there is no bug), stupid(er than usual) Capcom ("we can't fix it, too bad"), and now me, bitching about how stupid it all is. What a wonderful world we live it, where this is a big deal.

Oh...and my stupid Xbox is broken, so I can't even play it (on my awesome HDTV). For the record, I side with the people with crappy TVs. They should be able to play this on the crappy TV if they want (not that I understand that). The X360 isn't HD-only, it's compatible with all TVs. So should all the game be.

Top Bottom