• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Del Toro: "It makes no fucking sense Silent Hills is not happening"

MauroNL

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3...renading-crews-silent-hills-and-crimson-peak/

So far your career has been quite varied with some work in video games. Although Silent Hills didn’t work out, what was the experience like?

"It was curious.

We had a great experience and had great story sessions with hundreds upon hundreds of designs. Some of the stuff that we were designing for Silent Hills I’ve seen in games that came after, like The Last of Us, which makes me think we were not wrong, we were going in the right direction.

The thing with Kojima and Silent Hills is that I thought we would do a really remarkable game and really go for the jugular.

We were hoping to actually create some sort of panic with some of the devices we were talking about and it is really a shame that it’s not happening. When you ask about how things operate, that makes no fucking sense at all that that game is not happening.

Makes no fucking sense at all. That’s the randomness that I was talking about."

Close if old.
Sorry to bring up Silent Hills again :(

Well, you've only got to look at all the money Kojima burned through while making the far-from-finished MGSV to see that it does kinda make sense. I mean it breaks my heart that Silent Hills was cancelled, but I get why it's cancelled.

Lime

The pain that this bullshit has caused me probably far exceeds whatever pain the potential game might have given me

Neiteio

I've been a fan of del Toro for years. Incredibly humble and kindhearted human being, with a self-deprecating sense of humor. Not a mean bone in his body. Wears his heart on his sleeve.

To add salt to the wound of SH's cancelation, here's a post I made in the Stefanie Joosten waifu thread:

#########

Come to think of it... You know who else probably would've appeared in Silent Hills?

Doug Jones. Doing mo-cap.

He's a frequent creature actor in del Toro's films. He brought to life such marvelous monsters as:

Abe Sapien

18kj6s.jpg

Pan

20tjbz.jpg

Pale Man

3utjct.jpg

Angel of Death

4eujqw.jpg

Ah, what could've been

Danlord

"We were hoping to actually create some sort of panic with some of the devices we were talking about and it is really a shame that it’s not happening"

See, to me this makes me think they were working on a VR version with PT. I might be looking too much into it, but it makes sense. AAA-level horror game designed for VR would have been immense; it's the next-level thing for it.

So gutted. But we have Allison Road for now, hopefully they can confirm PSVR now they have partnered with Team 17.

Venom Fox

Banned
Some of the stuff that we were designing for Silent Hills I’ve seen in games that came after, like The Last of Us, which makes me think we were not wrong, we were going in the right direction.

Seems like they were quite further along than we thought. FucKonami!

EGM1966

Couldn't agree more. Such a waste.

Please though no more Pacific Rim though: give me more stuff like Pan's Labyrinth damn it.

Neiteio

Del Toro will come back to games. He may say he was burned by the experience, but he'll be back. I have no doubt he's intrigued by what games can bring to horror narratives.

Well, you've only got to look at all the money Kojima burned through while making the far-from-finished MGSV to see that it does kinda make sense. I mean it breaks my heart that Silent Hills was cancelled, but I get why it's cancelled.

MGSV cost 80m if reports are true. That's in no way shocking for an open-world game. It actually puts it on the lower side of open-world dev costs that we hear about nowadays. You simply can't make AAA open-world games like that on the cheap.

jelly

Quiet Mountains.

Doesn't have to be Silent Hills. Some publisher or platform holder should be funding this under a different name.

See, to me this makes me think they were working on a VR version with PT. I might be looking too much into it, but it makes sense. AAA-level horror game designed for VR would have been immense; it's the next-level thing for it.

So gutted. But we have Allison Road for now, hopefully they can confirm PSVR now they have partnered with Team 17.

Would they have been held liable for all the heart attacks this would have caused?

I'm betting we'll hear about a spiritual successor to Silent Hills by Kojima and Del Toro in 2 years.

There's no way they'll just let it go.

Please don't let it go. :(

The pain that this bullshit has caused me probably far exceeds whatever pain the potential game might have given me

The real Phantom Pain begins here.

Why aren't they just getting together to work somewhere else? Surely there's plenty of other developers/publishers who are willing to throw money at Del Toro and Kojima for a guaranteed (if expensive) hit??

mods can we please have a rule where you can't make a new thread about silent hills unless its being resurrected or kojima + toro team up to basically make the game but under a new name? it hurts to much, its hard to move on when you're just about ready to but then a new one of these threads pop up :'(

oh what could've been.

Would they have been held liable for all the heart attacks this would have caused?

It's been years since I've studied torts but I am pretty sure you are assuming the risk (and there would probably be a mandatory warning before you play each time).

Endo Punk

I rest easy knowing that at the budget this game would have ended up being it just wasnt commercially viable to make it.

Randomizer

Poor Del Toro keeps having shit like this happen, all his projects get cancelled/pulled. His career reminds me of Josh Whedon's before Avengers. Hopefully Del Toro gets his Avengers moment one day.

MGSV cost 80m if reports are true. That's in no way shocking for an open-world game. It actually puts it on the lower side of open-world dev costs that we hear about nowadays. You simply can't make AAA open-world games like that on the cheap.

Guerrila Games gonna get fucked over once Horizon releases then which makes me sad, their games don't sell well but man oh man at least they released the glory that is Killzone 2.
From the sounds of it, Silent Hills seems to have been in development for quite some time. It's very nice to say fuck off Konami but chances are the game was not even close to completion and a substantial amount of money had already been poured into it. Del Tori, the dude from the walking dead shit show and Kojima = pissing through money for a franchise which does not sell anywhere near enough to justify that.

Del Toro needs to stick to films anyway, he's not produced anything amazing since Pans Labyrinth but Hellboy and Pacificm rim were solid.

Top Bottom