• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny makes $500 million in first 24 hours

Nick_crx

Banned
Yes, I'm well aware of that. And those don't add up to $400M, notwithstanding the fact that your list is repetitious. Salary, wages, are the same thing, and they're part of the development costs.

lol thats cute.

I suppose you have access to their financial statements?

So what is their EBITDA?

20% is very generous mind you.

SparkTR

Yeah, I guess that's even more confimation. I don't like how the market is quickly becoming a dichotomy between AAA and indies, with a desert in the middle.

The console market maybe, handhelds and PC still have a nice mid-tier scene. It's true though, the order of the game will be fewer but bigger AAA games. Less risk, more homogeneity.

BigDug13

One this is for sure, they will make their 10 year budget back with just this game. Maybe they will be willing to do more with the sequels now that they know they have a definite hit.

Squalor

Marketing can't save all games. I mean heck, look at Titanfall, MS advertised it for months, and yet, it still was a flash in the pan.
Part of that was because of the Xbox's install base, though.

There were people excited for the game who simply didn't want to buy an Xbox One.

Cuphead

Banned
OffensiveIndolentBelugawhale.gif

jcm

If Activision's revenue was $500M then that chart is meaningless. Now, it's possible Kotick is twisting words around to be deceptive (he is, after all, evil), but the filing makes it sound like the $500M is Activision revenue, which wouldn't include the retailer margin.

"Based on extraordinary audience demand, retail and first party orders worldwide have exceeded $500 million for Destiny," said Bobby Kotick, CEO of Activision Blizzard.

lol thats cute.

I suppose you have access to their financial statements?

So what is their EBITDA?

20% is very generous mind you.

Of course I have access to their financial statements. So do you, because they are a public company. You can see their EBITDA right here, where you'll find out that it's not a percentage. Are you maybe thinking of margin? Either way, they won't tell us anything about the development budget for this game.

DeviantBoi

There was never any chance of losing. Marketing is the king.

Yes, and it's shocking because Sony was responsible for the marketing of Destiny.

Now that we know that they have a very capable marketing team, there's no excuse to send first-party games out to die with little to no marketing.

I wouldn't be surprised if their change of ad firm a while back was part of the deal for Destiny.

Guys.

Revenue/profit/whatever you want to call it. This game is going to make billions of dollars, and extremely recoup that massive marketing budget and development costs. I don't know why this game is receiving so much heat from people... but congratulations to Activision and Bungie on this one.

I'm loving the game and I've only replayed what I played in the Alpha and Beta. Once I get to the new content... man. Anyway! Well done, fellas.

Now if I only Sony could market their own games like that...

If Activision's revenue was $500M then that chart is meaningless. Now, it's possible Kotick is twisting words around to be deceptive (he is, after all, evil), but the filing makes it sound like the $500M is Activision revenue, which wouldn't include the retailer margin.

"Based on extraordinary audience demand, retail and first party orders worldwide have exceeded $500 million for Destiny," said Bobby Kotick, CEO of Activision Blizzard.
Good point. That would imply they sold even more copies

Peltz

Honestly, from what I've played, I think the game deserves its success. It's just so damn appealing to such a wide audience of different demographics. And it manages to be so without leaving us hardcore gamers in the dust (which is more than I could say for modern COD games).

To me, it's the kick in the ass that the FPS genre needed. I look forward to the next few weeks as it ripens.

Part of that was because of the Xbox's install base, though.

There were people excited for the game who simply didn't want to buy an Xbox One.

Apparently they didn't want to buy it on PC or 360 ether then. I think the issue there was the hype was largely artificial. The media loved it, but it didn't seem to resonate with the shooter community in the same way.

I do admit it was a nice start, and titanfall 2 will probably be magnificent though. The framework was there, it just needs some meat to it.

So far Destiny seems to have launched with much more hype, though we'll have to see how many pick the game up in the next few days/weeks. I think the alpha/beta got a whole lot of people interested in it who were not before.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
fuck yeah, huge publishers making boatloads of cash off a product that nobody really knows anything about because they kept reviewers in the dark!!!!!!!

three five cheers for AAA gaming!!!!!!!

i can't wait for all the expansions i've already paid $35 for!!!!!!!!!!!

G
Titanfall is the best selling xbox one game.

Do you have a link to the breakdown of the sales, by chance? Not doubting you, but everything I was able to find in an unrelated search earlier was from May-June, and in another thread here people had mentioned that Titanfall just recently, within ~1 month, broke three million sales across all platforms. Just thinking logically, over half of that would have to be on XB1, right?

Storm360

How's it becoming a trend? How many online only games are out there?

SimCity tried it until it failed, now it's single player

Diablo 3 on PC still has it

Destiny, The Crew, The Division etc are all always online too, I don't want to be restricted when I game, I want to be able to play say, Destiny long after the PS3/PS4 is gone, I replay older games all the time, it scares me to think that may not be the case soon, it's the same reason I refuse to buy digital, the access to that game depends on if a company hasn't pressed a giant red shut down button, or if my internet is working

SDCowboy

fuck yeah, huge publishers making boatloads of cash off a product that nobody really knows anything about because they kept reviewers in the dark!!!!!!!

How could one know nothing about the game by the time it came out. There was an big alpha, a monster beta and constant coverage of the game.

Peltz

Apparently they didn't want to buy it on PC or 360 ether then. I think the issue there was the hype was largely artificial. The media loved it, but it didn't seem to resonate with the shooter community in the same way.

I do admit it was a nice start, and titanfall 2 will probably be magnificent though. The framework was there, it just needs some meat to it.

So far Destiny seems to have launched with much more hype, though we'll have to see how many pick the game up in the next few days/weeks. I think the alpha/beta got a whole lot of people interested in it who were not before.

Agreed. I think the Alpha/Beta was a stroke of marketing genius. It changed the perception of this franchise.

Did it beat GTA V? I thought GTA made 500 mill during its launch too.

Yes, sir^^ Biggest New game (New IP). GTA was 850 million USD first day 1 Billion first week I believe. Still very impressive for new IP. This gen has had the record for first day sales of a new IP broken twice in three months. Hope that means bright future for PS4/XB1^^

GhaleonEB

I was wondering if they were going to announce anything today. The launch has been surprisingly smooth given the scale. Contrats, Bungie.

Dyno

They made it all back in a single day. Can't help but be impressed. What can you say? It's Triple-A done right, I guess.

I bought the white PS4 bundle, though it's not out of the box yet. I wonder if Activision - Bungie got a cut of those console sales or if they just got something for the game inside.

nynt9

Pretty much my feelings. I don't see anything mworth congratulating here, except maybe Activision's marketing brilliance.

Squalor

WTF did they expect?

They locked it down to one console and its the Second place one. I AM surprised the PC crowd didn't make a dent though
I'm not saying EA had realistic expectations. I'm just saying they were disappointed. That's why we never got any official sales figures from EA, haha.

Titanfall was cool, but, considering what was packaged with the game at launch, the medias' reactions were completely overblown. Aside from the novelty of the whole thing, it didn't deserve all the 9s and 10s it received.

I think the PC crowd saw through that novelty and decided to skip it.

If you bought the game, you know everything about the game. I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at here.

Are you upset that journalists haven't told us how to feel about a game we haven't played yet..? Bungie hasn't held anything back from gamers with this game. The Alpha and Beta are EXACTLY what the game is. There's just a bunch more of it.

quetz67

Banned
$500M budget is crazy, they need to sell about 12-15 million copies to break even (at full price). They have like half of that and sales might be very frontloaded with so many preorders.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Pretty much my feelings. I don't see anything mworth congratulating here, except maybe Activision's marketing brilliance.

I am not salty.

Such a shallow game.

I'm salty

You guys are mad that a Bungie game sold so much?

broony

$500M budget is crazy, they need to sell about 12-15 million copies to break even (at full price). They have like half of that and sales might be very frontloaded with so many preorders.
They are saying the broke even on the first day.

Top Bottom