• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dev: Games built for Scorpio first will look like they're on an old laptop on OG XB1

Yep. That was always the big fear with these half gen consoles. Getting New 3DS'ed.
I hope Microsofts standards don't allow such half assed efforts, but I 0% trust either Sony or Microsofts certification process to reject poor performing back-ports.

Only one game - one - was designed from the top-down to favour N3DS (Hyrule Warriors Legends). The list of "enhanced" games is slim as Nintendo doesn't mandate N3DS support.

The difference between N3DS and Pro lies with how Sony mandated PS4 Pro support for games released after September 2016. Because of the number of games that actually get tangible improves on PS4 Pro, you're far more likely to feel like you're getting an inferior experience. Moreso given more PS4 games don't perform acceptably without Pro. Personally I'm fine with my PS4, but I feel much more impacted by the existence of the Pro than I did the New 3DS when it was revealed, as the PS4 Pro's *sole* improvement was power.

In my experience with the N3DS, enhanced versions take the games from "fine" to "great" (excluding Hyrule Warriors), whereas the nature of AAA games dev and the technical ambitions of the games means that PS4 Pro takes some games from being "wonky" to "fine".

Breakage

Since Scorpio belongs to the X1 family it will be restricted to being a powerful console that simply embellishes X1 games. We're not going to see Scorpio-only gameplay elements as no game is going to built targeting Scorpio from the ground up. What a waste. What's the point of packing so much power when it will be held back by a console that is several years old?

The Pro requires a PS4 version, Scorpio doesn't require and Xbone version. I guarantee we'll see Scorpio only games but not PS4 Pro only games.

If this is true then it will happen. I don't think it'll happen for bigger releases that would require a large install base to be financially sustainable, but there will be a point in time, like with iOS devices, where the base Xbox One can be feasibly dropped. Probably when devs have data that suggests either Xbox One owners have upgraded to Scorpio, or that the Scorpio install base is big enough.

Microsoft plans on abandoning traditional generations, similar to the iPhone strategy, where games will still work on the Xbone but devs have the option of just being Scorpio with the Xbone eventually being phased out. The PS4 Pro mandates that the game works on the PS4. It's basically a much more aggressive new 3DS.

So this is just your hypothesis going on the little information we all have then?

You choose to see it that way and I choose to see it differently, suppose we will all find out in a few months time.

I will just say one thing, no gamer gets left behind.....

After all the goodwill MS have won back since the disastrous Xbox One reveal and launch it would be suicidal from a business perspective to reneg on a promise they made publically at the biggest gaming event in the world.

What would that do to all of that goodwill the have been generating for the last 18 months/two years?

KageMaru

The Pro requires a PS4 version, Scorpio doesn't require and Xbone version. I guarantee we'll see Scorpio only games but not PS4 Pro only games.

So why do you take Sony at their word but not MS when they both have required support for their base unit? The only thing confirmed to be exclusive to Scorpio is VR and I think that's fine.

With that said, I do see a scenario down the line (~10 years after XBO launch) where XBO support will be phased out and we see a game launched for Scorpio and their 'next gen' console. In this case Scorpio would be the new low end option. However that's entirely different than what you're saying here.

flkraven

Why don't some of you get that this is simply how things are now? Or at least how Microsoft wants it to be? They aren't cutting out XB1 because there is no such thing as 'generations' anymore. This isn't a 'mid gen refresh' because gens are fucking meaningless. Microsoft will keep as many consoles in their ecosystem until it becomes impossible, and then they have to lop off the lowest one.

mcrommert

Banned
So why do you take Sony at their word but not MS when they both have required support for their base unit? The only thing confirmed to be exclusive to Scorpio is VR and I think that's fine.

With that said, I do see a scenario down the line (~10 years after XBO launch) where XBO support will be phased out and we see a game launched for Scorpio and their 'next gen' console. In this case Scorpio would be the new low end option. However that's entirely different than what you're saying here.

This i can see.

The rumor has always been there will be hard kill dates for "guaranteed" support

At some point in the future game companies won't have to support the xbox one...but most will continue to do so...this will not happen (probably) until a true next gen console is on the market

Will be super interesting to see a game releasing that has 3 consoles as perf targets

KageMaru

This i can see.

The rumor has always been there will be hard kill dates for "guaranteed" support

At some point in the future game companies won't have to support the xbox one...but most will continue to do so...this will not happen (probably) until a true next gen console is on the market

Will be super interesting to see a game releasing that has 3 consoles as perf targets

Issue is him and I aren't saying the same thing. I can also see devs dropping support for the OG PS4 before they drop Pro when next gen launches.

ironcreed

Banned
So we are just making stuff up now? The central theme going forward is to make everything forward and backward compatible. They are not going to go back on that.

What is going on in here? Scorpio is going to be a more powerful Xbox one. Of course the 2013 version of the hardware is going to look lower in quality because....it's from 2013 compared to 2017.

Already confirmed by Microsoft
1) no scorpio exclusive games
2) premium price point
3) compatible with Xbox one accessories because it IS an Xbox one.

mcrommert

Banned
Issue is him and I aren't saying the same thing. I can also see devs dropping support for the OG PS4 before they drop Pro when next gen launches.

Apologies didn't mean to quote him...i disagreed with him early up

I always thought there would be revolving consoles with the scorpio eventually becoming the lowest console. I don't know if i believe that anymore based on what phil has said.

But definitely they will have dates were devs will no longer be required to support the xbox one/scorpio (either separately or together)

So we are just making stuff up now? The central theme going forward is to make everything forward and backward compatible. They are not going to go back on that.

No one has ever said forward compatibility is going forever...so xbox one will be able to play the newest games 10 years from now? Nope

I'll admit that it is a bit of a hypothesis, and I haven't really worded it correctly. Basically I meant what this guy said.

Why don't some of you get that this is simply how things are now? Or at least how Microsoft wants it to be? They aren't cutting out XB1 because there is no such thing as 'generations' anymore. This isn't a 'mid gen refresh' because gens are fucking meaningless. Microsoft will keep as many consoles in their ecosystem until it becomes impossible, and then they have to lop off the lowest one.

But I believe it will happen much sooner given the design of the scorpio. That strategy isn't what Sony is going for though. You can look at the design of the PS4 Pro and it's pretty obvious they're keeping gens around. We'll see a PS5 but the Scorpio IS the next Xbox, and Microsoft isn't planning on doing a clean generational break again. Also the wording around Microsofts VR statement is funny. They specifically said that they wont be publishing scorpio only games themselves, but I don't remember them ever saying that they'd stop other publishers from doing it.

I was actually kind of hoping the Scorpio would force the PlayStation 5 to come out sooner and after reading this article, I am thinking it's going to happen.

KageMaru

I'll admit that it is a bit of a hypothesis, and I haven't really worded it correctly. Basically I meant what this guy said.

But I believe it will happen much sooner given the design of the scorpio. That strategy isn't what Sony is going for though. You can look at the design of the PS4 Pro and it's pretty obvious they're keeping gens around. We'll see a PS5 but the Scorpio IS the next Xbox, and Microsoft isn't planning on doing a clean generational break again. Also the wording around Microsofts VR statement is funny. They specifically said that they wont be publishing scorpio only games themselves, but I don't remember them ever saying that they'd stop other publishers from doing it.

So you're in the camp that sees Scorpio as their next gen console (or equivalent)?

Also they have come out and said XBO support is required, even for 3rd parties outside of VR. It was revealed at E3 when a MS rep mistakenly said Scorpio exclusives are allowed but they soon said that was wrong. Outside of VR titles, XBO is required to be supported.

Regardless of Sony admitting it or not, the definition of generations have shifted since both manufacturers announced console refreshes.

They need to just cut off the XBO if this is true. They need to have a trade in program and just say fuck it, if they're serious about dominating the market.
The only effect a move like that would have on the Xbox brand's place in the market is a negative one.
The last thing you want to do is alienate the millions of people who already own a version of the console and make them rush out to buy a new box only 4 years later.

While enthusiasts may see the benefits in upgrading like this, the majority of gamers just want a box that plays games and the One is doing that just fine for them.

Bolivar687

Banned
Old laptop for me means 768p with small textures and low AA, with Vsync off hovering around that buttery smooth 47fps.

I kind of miss it sometimes...

flkraven

...that's exactly what I said. There AREN'T any more generations in Microsoft's strategy. Just forwards and backwards compatible releases until it isn't feasible, with supported features being a differentiator as well (ie. VR).

...that's exactly what I said. There AREN'T any more generations in Microsoft's strategy. Just forwards and backwards compatible releases until it isn't feasible, with supported features being a differentiator as well (ie. VR).

I said I meant what you said lol, I agree with you 100%

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
This thread is amusing me, half of the people say that Scorpio is tethered to the One so it will never be taken advantage of, and that sucks, the other half says that one support will be dropped like a stone and that sucks. No one knows what will happen, but be assured, it will SUCK.

I am not getting the anxiety here. It's like upgrading your computer. You play old games better and later if a company thinks it is worth it (probably at MS's discretion) you get to play the newer games that people who haven't upgraded can't. It sounds good to me.

KageMaru

This thread is amusing me, half of the people say that Scorpio is tethered to the One so it will never be taken advantage of, and that sucks, the other half says that one support will be dropped like a stone and that sucks. No one knows what will happen, but be assured, it will SUCK.

I am not getting the anxiety here. It's like upgrading your computer. You play old games better and later if a company thinks it is worth it (probably at MS's discretion) you get to play the newer games that people who haven't upgraded can't. It sounds good to me.

Both parties are mistaken IMO. Scorpio won't be next gen or get exclusives outside of VR. It also won't be impossible to take advantage of Scorpio even when supporting XBO due to how scalable today's engines are.

Journey

Banned
They need to just cut off the XBO if this is true. They need to have a trade in program and just say fuck it, if they're serious about dominating the market.

Why? We have high end PC games that look amazing on PC right now that run like a cheap laptop on XBO, what is the difference?

TalonJH

Do we know this for sure though? I can see it maybe happening when XB2 is released and having a "rolling" 2 console capability. (Games locked to XB2 & Scorpio, Games locked to XB2 & Gemini, Game locked to Gemini & XB3, etc.)

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Oh look its something thats completely false in every way
If you really don't think there's eventually gonna be Scorpio only games you are kidding yourself.

Of course not the first year but going into 2019 you honestly think devs are still gonna bother with Xbox One?

TalonJH

PS4, yes, Scorpio no. It's basically tales from my ass but I've been following consumer electronics long enough to know a spin when I see it. I can't look at the specs for the Pro and Scorpio and not see the strategies at play.

Yeah, I knew about the PS4. Look at what I added to that post. That's what I think will happen.

Edit: Added from previous post

I can see it maybe happening when XB2 is released and having a "rolling" 2 console capability. (Games locked to XB2 & Scorpio, Games locked to XB2 & Gemini, Game locked to Gemini & XB3, etc.)

Even if they created a trade-in program that cut the Scorpio's launch price in half, do you think there would be this insane user drive to go and buy this in droves? On a mass market level? Outside of the PS4, consoles have gotten wrecked in terms of sales this generation.

At their best, MS will be able to possibly sell 5 million Scorpio's within the first year, and thats only if X1 S sales take a dip in demand in order to get the Scorpio to that level.

Outrun

I think at this point in time, the best thing to do is wait for more information.

What we have here is stealth console wars under a thin veneer of Scorpio discussion.

Yeah, Scorpio only games aren't happening unless MS 1st party are the ones making/funding it, and even in that specific case, unless the attach ratio for the Scorpio is absurdly high and the console sells PS4 levels well within its first year, then the game is basically gonna find a hard time generating a profit or even breaking even.

As long as the industry at large is focused on selling their games to the PS4 & X1 audience, PS4 & X1 development will always be taken into consideration primarily. Scorpio would need to sell at a rate even higher than the PS4 within its first couple of quarters at launch in order to get devs to even consider making Scorpio-led titles.

KageMaru

If you really don't think there's eventually gonna be Scorpio only games you are kidding yourself.

Of course not the first year but going into 2019 you honestly think devs are still gonna bother with Xbox One?

Do you see devs bothering with the PS4 in 2019?

PS4, yes, Scorpio no. It's basically tales from my ass but I've been following consumer electronics long enough to know a spin when I see it. I can't look at the specs for the Pro and Scorpio and not see the strategies at play.

Again why do you believe Sony but not MS when they have both said the same thing?

Specs aren't really telling here when we already have games that scale from a high end PC down to the XBO.

The problem here is simple, which devs are going to make Scorpio only games?

MS? Damn, must feel bad being an Xbox One only gamer....
3rd Party? Sure, along with all those Scorpio exclusives....

It seems to me that the idea is to make consoles more like other types of hardware, think smartphones and tablets, where consumers come to expect new models and revisions often.

You can guarantee that?

Why are all articles involving Microsoft and their game efforts always seem to take such a negative tone on NeoGaf? I'm surprised by some of the comments in this discussion, especially now that we live in a PS4 pro world. We have no idea what mandates Microsoft will put on this console that's a year away and we have no previous history to base it on.

Top Bottom