• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DeVos, Sessions expected to be confirmed in tight votes

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's amazing that you people are calling a Republican "spineless" for voting for his party's nominee.

No Democrat has opposed every nominee.

kPmQX3t.png

He is choosing not to be a selfish POS who brings a child into a corrupt and collapsing human civilization who will only live a life of misery. Resisting those biological impulses should be applauded. Climate change, corruption and capitalism have doomed global human society.

Anyone having having kids right now after taking a realistic look at the course humanity is on is incredibly selfish. Its not about letting them win, its about sparing a kid years of suffering that they have no control over.

If I was that nihilistic I would commit suicide. Fortunately, I still have hope for a better future.

Piano

Banned
He is choosing not to be a selfish POS who brings a child into a corrupt and collapsing human civilization who will only live a life of misery. Resisting those biological impulses should be applauded. Climate change, corruption and capitalism have doomed global human society.

Anyone having having kids right now after taking a realistic look at the course humanity is on is incredibly selfish. Its not about letting them win, its about sparing a kid years of suffering that they have no control over.

Look, I'm alarmed about DeVos and everything else coming out of the Trump white house but come on. A life of misery? Years of suffering? Give me a break. We're not there yet.

Have kids if you want to have kids and feel you have the means to support them and give them a decent life.

RDreamer

seriously. The generational impact of this is going to be devastating

Not just this, but Trump plus this. Climate change denial and a complete erosion of our governmental system on top of education getting gutted doesn't really make me positive about the world I'd be raising a child in.

So you're going to let them win? If you have the desire to raise a child then go for it.

I always have had a desire, but since Trump won and all the shit that's been happening it's been literally the first time in my life I'm seriously thinking I shouldn't.

Dude you can't let this discourage you for things like that. If we all had that thought things would never get better because no one would be raising kids with opposing opinions.

Hang in there.

Perhaps we'll see. I'm still not 100% no, obviously, but I'm the furthers on the maybe not scale I've ever been. Doesn't help that my fiance didn't want kids originally but had been coming around to it/looking forward to it because I did so much.

Yep. His "Maverick" persona has been all talk since at least 2004. McCain-Feingold,Immigration Reform and Anti-Torture were a long damn time ago.

He's been a lockstep R since Obama took office.

He's been dirty and corrupt since he almost got nailed for his involvement with Charles Keating in the '80s.

Don't trust conservatives, especially at the national level.

SeanR1221

I've been working in special education for the past decade. Very worried about the long term effects, especially in relation to IDEA

5taquitos

it's amazing that you people are calling a Republican "spineless" for voting for his party's nominee.

kPmQX3t.png

I like how you left out the bottom half of that image, showing how fucking whipped the Republicans are:

gsrUGKc.png

And that's just what would fit on my screen

studyguy

Regardless of what Democrats do, all you need is a simple majority to pass the senate. Democrats can flail all they like but all R voting yes passes anyway. Feel like most people don't even realize the futility they're facing here.

Look, I'm alarmed about DeVos and everything else coming out of the Trump white house but come on. A life of misery? Years of suffering? Give me a break. We're not there yet.

Have kids if you want to have kids and feel you have the means to support them and give them a decent life.

For real. I can't believe this defeatist rhetoric that's going around.

You people are only hurting yourselves the more you beat yourself up over every piece of bad news you see.

Have kids. Be who you want to be. Don't automatically assume the future is now set in stone.

kPmQX3t.png

Kelly and Mattis weren't really bad candidates. Haley is situational. The rest are awful though and the voting record obviously subscribed for that.

I wonder if people on the left will ever learn to put zero faith in McCain. His reputation as a lone wolf might as well be as old as his military service. He's a lockstep Republican now who will gladly snap his own spine for Russia afar and white nationals at home. Trash.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Lets be realistic here.

What power does the Secretary of Education hold?

She will hold zero power really. In that she takes orders to do inane shit at the behest of America's youth and schooling system and enacts it without hesitation, compromise, or compunction.

RPGCrazied

I wonder if people on the left will ever learn to put zero faith in McCain. His reputation as a lone wolf might as well be as old as his military service. He's a lockstep Republican now who will gladly snap his own spine for Russia afar and white nationals at home. Trash.

Graham as well. These two want to act like they will stand up to Trump, but in the end go with party before anything else.

sangreal

all signs point to no. which is crazy considering people who weren't even alive for the straight talk express can vote (well, almost)

man, the things we could have done if democrats had this kind of party discipline with the super majority. Instead, we had Joe fucking Lieberman

This has to be the most infuriating nomination of the bunch. Those Senate hearings with DeVos should've been a sign to anyone with a lick of common sense that she's not fit for the job nor does she have the American people's best interests in mind.

I'm currently a teacher (about to transition to a dream job outside of education however) and my wife is a teacher in another district. I'm glad I'm getting out, but the public school system is about to be squeezed even tighter. It's a damn shame.

Guys, sugarhigh is a consistent troll in all these threads. Stop feeding him.

He's not a troll, he's an ideologue that wants a stronger left wing party that represents ordinary workers better. I don't agree with his ideas about how to accomplish that, but he's right in principle. Regular people need better, stronger representation in government.

I like how you left out the bottom half of that image, showing how fucking whipped the Republicans are:

gsrUGKc.png

And that's just what would fit on my screen

Whipped? Why wouldn't a republican senator vote for a republican president's cabinet pick unless there's some special circumstance. Especially in this case...Sessions is a republican senator, DeVos is a major republican donor and republicans hate teacher's unions so...

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Tired of Mccain and Grahams little of game of bitching to the media but at the end of the day they always pick party over country.

5taquitos

Whipped? Why wouldn't a republican senator vote for a republican president's cabinet pick unless there's some special circumstance. Especially in this case...Sessions is a republican senator, DeVos is a major republican donor and republicans hate teacher's unions so...

Most cabinet nominations don't result in thousands of calls to the senators' offices pleading for a No vote.

I'm expecting the fucking idiots who voted for Trump and who rely on the public schools will still notice nothing even though their kids have no classes are only getting dumber. For people who voted for Trump and have kids that go to public schools, you deserve every part of this hell. DeVos is subhuman garbage. Fuck fuck fuck...

kPmQX3t.png

While this group of nominees are Trump's better ones (sans Tillerson) Feinstein voting in favor of all but one is a joke. If she decides to run for reelection next year she should absolutely have a primary opponent - Eric Garcetti most likely.

So basically all of America's children are going to get the same quality of education as kids in inner cities unless they're hella wealthy?

Lol

Uh, she runs the school system, has the power to direct federal funds to what she wants. Make no mistake, public schools are going to be losing money.

Doesn't the federal government only control like less than 10% of school funding, though? I'm pretty sure the states have more power than we think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom