• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DeVos, Sessions expected to be confirmed in tight votes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel so bad for Warren and the other few people in US politics that actually have principles and are fighting an uphill battle against such a shit system. It must be so fucking depressing and disheartening.

Slacker

I feel so bad for Warren and the other few people in US politics that actually have principles and are fighting an uphill battle against such a shit system. It must be so fucking depressing and disheartening.

Here's what Warren knows as well as anyone in politics:

1) Most people agree with Democrat ideals over Republican ideals on paper.
2) GOP voters will vote GOP no matter how many issues they disagree with as long as they agree on abortion.
3) Abortion will never go away so these people are voting against their own interests for nothing.

So yeah, pretty disheartening I'd say.

belvedere

Junior Butler
There has to be a deeper strategy here, right? Surely the republicans are giving Trump the tools he needs to self-destruct, Devos included. There's no way they think this is a good idea, nor do they truly believe they're doing what "america wants".

Fuchsdh

There has to be a deeper strategy here, right? Surely the republicans are giving Trump the tools he needs to self-destruct, Devos included. There's no way they think this is a good idea, nor do they truly believe they're doing what "america wants".

Many senators and reps either have no stake in things like the public school system (because they aren't sending their kids to public school) or want to dismantle it anyhow, either out of personal conviction or because they get campaign funding from charters and the like that benefit.

ezekial45

Banned
The GOP doesn't care about what America wants. Their only loyalty is to their own party and the corporate interests they support. They want to get this vote over with so they can move on to other things, country's education system be damned.

Iksenpets

Banned

Republicans have to answer to their primary voters, who by and large demand loyalty to Trump. No one wants to face a primary because they're the one who let Democrats "mistreat" one of Trump's nominees, even if they know most normal people want them to do exactly that.

RDreamer

Republicans have to answer to their primary voters, who by and large demand loyalty to Trump. No one wants to face a primary because they're the one who let Democrats "mistreat" one of Trump's nominees, even if they know most normal people want them to do exactly that.

And I think they know without a more united front against Trump they're fucked. Trump will use his platform to bully and attack anyone and everyone, especially Republicans who block this. So unless the Dems figure out a way to get a chunk of republicans against anything, they won't waiver.

Culex

Banned
They are both going to be confirmed aren't they?

Of course, otherwise you would have heard more dissenting votes. Hell, I will wager just ONE democrat will change sides and vote for her, leaving Pence out of an embarrassing tie vote.

Just watch!

At this point, accelerationism seems to be the only thing that will ensure Democrats win in 2018 since having a mortal threat finally lit a fire under thier assets, as shown by the protests.

Let's see how low this shit show can go, then! I used to admonish the Berners for cheering it on too.

Masked Man

I said wow
Still can't believe only two Republicans have defected. The other 50 are just adding another stain to their records. Fucking disgusting.

Pence is standing by to break the (expected) tie. It would be cool if there was a single other republican out there to prove their party isn't completely infested to the core, but I am not hopeful.

dohdough

I love how the solution to crappy schools is to send a select few kids to better schools and leave the rest of the kids behind. It's like fixing the school system for all is too silly to be considered.

Still can't believe only two Republicans have defected. The other 50 are just adding another stain to their records. Fucking disgusting.

They didn't defect. It was brokered.

edit: LOLZ...Warren just got in front of everyone at the podium and gave the thumbs down.

Say Devos is confirmed and some miracle happens where dems take it back and they impeach Trump. Would DeVos' influence still fuck over public schools?

Hazmat

Say Devos is confirmed and some miracle happens where dems take it back and they impeach Trump. Would DeVos' influence still fuck over public schools?

If they impeach Trump Pence is President, and he's not going to remove someone whose confirmation he voted for.

dohdough

Depends on how much she gets accomplished.

edit: ugh...Emerson is right. I keep forgetting that Pence is next in line.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

Yes because she would be a confirmed Secretary of Education and Pence would be president, so she'd be Secretary unless he removed her.

Unless the President removes her, she would still be in charge. Though a Dem House could drag her in for hearings as much as possible and hope to get something for her to resign.

The Cabinet serves at the discretion of the President (short of impeachment) which means you're effectively asking of Pence would remove Devos , and the answer is probably not, Republicans aren't exactly known for their deep seated respect for public education.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
12 YES
16 NO

really? REALLY? GOOD NEWS FOR ONCE?!

I have no idea how your votes work or how long they have to vote, but so far so good?

Thanks for answering. I've got a couple of friends who want to get into education, one of them already works in public education. They don't keep up with the current events.

legacyzero

Banned
🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

Gimme a miracle. Please gimme a miracle.

Nista

This is some slacktastical voting, let's just wander in and shoot the shit during lunch senators. Wish a couple of Republicans would get stuck in line and miss casting an aye or two.

For real, if this doesn't spur the public to vote all these Republican clowns out in the midterms next year, then nothing will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom