• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devs can use Scorpio's 6 teraflops however they wish(wont force 4k), says Spencer

shandy706

It was obvious he was mistaken or miss-spoke in the other thread.

Incredibly obvious.

People just overreact to everything, lol. My TV can take up to a 4k resolution just fine despite being a 1080p set. Most newer TV's can (mine is from 2010..so it's ancient really).

The Scorpio will work with a 1080p tv. The Scorpio, like any console, would allow the developer to make a game how they want. Most developers like to push graphics...so you may get 4k/30. They could push polycounts, they could push resolution, they could push framerate.

Just like any other gaming hardware.

Floody

I give up MS, I'm just gonna pretend you haven't said anything about the Scorpio and will wait until you fully announce it next year, hopefully, it isn't a complete clusterfuck by then,

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
It's like they change their stance every hour. I know most of this confusion is because they do interviews and those might not be released until half a week later, while they might have already clarified it somewhere else the next day. Best thing is to read up on it after two weeks because at E3 it is all just a mess.

sixamp

I have no idea. All the Scorpio is ,is the next Xbox. Most likely it will have gpu profiles for Scorpio class gpus and xbx1 class gpus so devs can make a game designed for Scorpio and downscale it to xbx1. Well that's what I would do.

Strootman

7NBWyvV.jpg

So which one is it?
Jeez, phil get your shit together.

Markoman

MS go home you're drunk!

So the real question is: will Scorpio be the first console with games offering variable settings accross the board?
If not this will turn into a hot mess....as we all know, MS are the masters of PR....NOT!!!

Beloree

Neo Member
uhmm, I don't understand what is confusing here ? It just means that developer can choose whatever resolution but 4k will shine while other don't.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
A 4k only would be suicide and they must know that. So that was why I could not believe that thread earlier.

He never said it was 4K only.

“Scorpio is designed as a 4K console, and if you don't have a 4K TV, the benefit we've designed for, you're not going to see."

if it's aimed at 4K tvs and you're using a 1080p tv you're not getting the benefit of 4K. how is anyone finding that hard to understand?

The overreactions are comical. This console release is 18 months away, it will get sorted out. Phil is not Don.

It's not an overreaction when the head of Xbox doesn't know what the new Xbox he just announced does, how it can be utilized, or who it's for.

Here's an idea Microsoft :
- Don't announce something without a CLEAR, POINT BY POINT, press release to back you up.
- It is used to have a strong and unified speech about the thing you announce.
- Spencer is a great guy, but he's answering all day (most likely) stupid questions from journos who have about no understanding of business and hardware, or that will try to have him say something for a headline. He will slip his tongue. Resulting this contradication of reports right here on GAF.
- LEARN FROM YOUR FUCKING PAST COMMUNICATION MISTAKES, remember the original reveal of the Always Online Xbox One ? None of the heads, Spencer, Nelson, Mattick, where properly briefed and the message was blurry as hell because you never prepared forward an unified communication.

TLDR : This is Always Connected Xbox One communication crash all over again. Microsoft, please prepare PR statement and brief your people before jumping the shark and throwing news at random.

I'm gonna walk back some stuff I posted earlier. To be fair to Phil and Co. this is nothing like the fiasco that was the Xbox One launch.

They have come out and said that Scorpio will be fully backwards compatible with all Xbox One games that have released and going forward. Hardware accessories will also be compatible. So that important stuff is outta the way.

But just take a look at all the posts on this thread. Sure Gaf can be hyperbolic but this mixed messaging...they need to be consistent with what they are saying.

Honestly I'm not making much of it. When I get my Xbox Scorpio I won't have a 4k set day one and I fully expect to enjoy it just as much as someone with a 4k set. I'm pretty sure devs don't have to have 4k for all games running on Scorpio but the miscommunication can be damning.

cackhyena

Say what you want about Don, he had the good sense not to half-ass launch a console 18 months ahead of time.
He presided over one of the biggest dumpster fires I can remember and he's gone because of it. This isn't worse. This is talk. Compare closer to its actual release.

Darkangel

It's pretty obvious that devs can do whatever they want and the original statement was to help promote the Xbox One S.

Doesn't look like some big mystery to me.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Say what you want about Don, he had the good sense not to half-ass launch a console 18 months ahead of time.
It wasn't even a launch, it was the equivalent of those nVidia events where they give a rough idea of what the next GPU will be like. It was a 3 minute video.

Y'all need to calm down.

MilkyJoe

The "does nothing if you don't have a 4K TV" thingy.

Which contradicts the scripted conversation with Larry...

I don't get it. The message in the Video with Larry is perfect, concise on point and explains everything. Why would you undo do that in a day?

El-Suave

The overreactions are comical. This console release is 18 months away, it will get sorted out. Phil is not Don.

I see, so they'll stop selling One's or S's until then...
People who are buying into the system right now need to have a clearer picture of what's coming soon.

Audioboxer

if it's aimed at 4K tvs and you're using a 1080p tv you're not getting the benefit of 4K. how can anyone finding that hard to understanding?

Because there is no clarification of the scenario where you run a Scorpio at 1080p and understandably expect a better frame rate than someone running at 4k. The mixed messages leave people wondering if MS will cap frame rate across 4k/1080p on Scorpio which would be an absolute shit fest and hilarious. 4k with a locked 60 might be obtainable on some games but not all.

A lot of gamers would rather 1080/60 locked than 4k/30 locked, even those with 4k TVs.

def sim

they really shouldn't lean so hard to the 4K promise and let it just be a more powerful version of their current console

developers are going to use the hardware however they wish regardless of what they say

Interfectum

It wasn't even a launch, it was the equivalent of those nVidia events where they give a rough idea of what the next GPU will be like. It was a 3 minute video.

Y'all need to calm down.

I think most people here are calm. We are simply reacting to what the head of Xbox says. Not sure why some people are getting so defensive about it.

ironcreed

Banned
Spencer's comments suggest that developers may be able to use Scorpio's additional power to deliver more visually impressive games at a lower resolution, rather than be forced to render at native 4K.

So which is it? The other thread contradicts this statement.

Players playing at differing framerates is a typical scenario for most online multiplayer games on PC and I thought the Neo guidelines allowed developers to increase framerate for Neo.

Nope, Neo guidelines states that none of the enhancements can affect gameplay. Console gamers wouldn't put up with players having an advantage on them from a gameplay perspective tied with who shelled out more money.

HardRojo

Oh man, MS and their mixed message. I like Phil but it seems they didn't think things through before deciding on publicly revealing Scorpio.

cackhyena

they really shouldn't lean so hard to the 4K promise and let it just be a more powerful version of their current console

developers are going to use the hardware however they wish regardless of what they say
Yep. I think it'll be the console after this that handles 4k easily. I really hope it's not the focus for most devs.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Very confusing message. If devs are inclined to get better graphics and framerate they will be upscaling won't they?

I think they're getting stuck between two non-ideal scenarios with their messaging. The narrative is they're waiting until next year so they can properly offer XB1 games at 4K - that's where they're hanging their differentiation vs a would-be Neo coming earlier, that this wouldn't be possible to do if they did something this year. The downside of this position is that he makes it more questionable what the benefit is for 1080p TV owners. The other alternative position is to say the res won't change much but the graphics will be richer. This is then something closer to the 'middle ground' Neo approach, and so risks obscuring the benefit of waiting until next holiday to release their upgrade.

So I think they're not really sure what to say here. They seem to want to mostly drive down the 4K road with their messaging because 4K standard would be a clear differentiating point, but that message is raising its own problems now.

if it's aimed at 4K tvs and you're using a 1080p tv you're not getting the benefit of 4K. how can anyone finding that hard to understand?

I don't think people find that hard to understand, but the lack of any other explanation is odd. While at first things like better graphical fidelity and framerate were spoken of...he doesn't mention this anywhere. He basically says if one doesn't own a 4K TV, go for the Xbox One S, you don't need the Scorpio then. I find it pretty understandable that people, me included assume that there won;t be much differences in terms of shaders, draw distance, lighting, and that it probably shares the Xbox One graphical fidelity only now at 4K.

And that would suck. Kinda destroys the comment about letting developers choose/not forcing 4K as well.

So which is it? The other thread contradicts this statement.

Completely! And it's also the more recent news sadly. The sooner this get's sorted, the better.

synce

It's amazing how they've manage to make their messages just as confusing as with the original xbone

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
It's pretty obvious that devs can do whatever they want and the original statement was to help promote the Xbox One S.

Doesn't look like some big mystery to me.
Level headed posts that use logic arent allowed.

Gurish

MS are such a joke with their contradicting msgs, been like that since the XB1's reveal, what is going on there??

VinFTW

People trying so hard to make this into the Xbox One fiasco.

All of you are educated, it's not a hard thing to understand.

We are over a YEAR AND A HALF till launch. It'll be plenty fine.

They might be realizing that they're sending the S to die so they keep changing their messaging in the hope something sticks...... but yeesh

zoukka

Just a question, if i set my ps4 to render at 720p and play Uncharted 4, do i get any improvement in performance/graphics?

If not, i don't know why his previous statement is objectively false.

Your console can output whatever you want, but the devs still decide what resolution their games run in.

MilkyJoe

Exactly, devs love sugar visuals and that's what they are going to give us. And 1080 with a decent AA, I'd take that over 4K

Top Bottom