• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devs can use Scorpio's 6 teraflops however they wish(wont force 4k), says Spencer

Stormy

stealth trolling

an across the table 4k for all games just isn't feasible

If we are to believe what was said in the video they showed at the conference, they spoke with the devs themselves to find out what they need to get to 4K. Now, if they took that feedback to heart, I think they should be able to do so. Will it be at Ultra or 60FPS? Probably not. At High or Medium settings @ 30FPS, probably.

What I was trying to convey, but better. They're catering to similar audiences, but nobody is going to buy the One S AND the Scorpio.

But those are the same people that will want a Scorpio next year.

I expect many will try to maximize the value of their console by trading it in for a One S and then trading that in later for a scorpio. Much like the phone trade in games that go on today.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Yes, this. A little bit of common sense goes a long way.

"OMG I'M SO CONFUSED! WHAT IS HAPPENING!" ;p

Blame MS.

It's basically like this:

So what's special about Scorpion? Why should we wait?

- Well, we designed it for TRUE 4K Xbox One gaming as standard, no compromises!

So, I won't get any benefit on a 1080p TV?

- Yeah, that's right.

Ah, that sucks.

- Oh wait, actually, devs can do whatever they want, they don't have to just use it for 4K!

But what about that standard 4K gaming you were talking about?

- ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The messaging is stuck between a rock and hard place in terms of wanting to clearly differentiate from Sony's upgrade with the 'standard 4K' mantra of most of the messaging on the one hand, without wanting to alienate 1080p users on the other hand.

Zedox

Yeah, this is pretty stupid, yet typical outrage. They are not so dumb as to tell everyone (most of us) without a 4k TV to go fuck off. If anything, devs will want to utilize the extra power at 1080p and make better looking games that run like silk, They are not going to prevent this from happening, as he already clarified.

I've said this, I think people are trying to be confused more than actually being confused. I look at it like...do I want a low-mid range video card or a mid-high range video card. Still play the same things, games still do the same ish...but the graphics will vary on which card you have. But no, neogaf.

RowdyReverb

Man I'm surprised at the thread explosions around here right now. It's only 10am here on the east coast and we are talking about mixed messaging and confused gamers and how MS has lost it?

I don't know. Seems like a PR mixup where Phil said the wrong thing (you have to have a 4k tv) but is it really that hard to use critical thinking and realize he probably meant devs are free to choose whatever res they want, and that a game at 4k res will only show benefits on a 4k tv?

Doesn't that seem obvious?
No, I'm pretty sure the sky is falling

Stormy

I've said this, I think people are trying to be confused more than actually being confused. I look at it like...do I want a low-mid range video card or a mid-high range video card. Still play the same things, games still do the same ish...but the graphics will vary on which card you have. But no, neogaf.

My feelings exactly.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
He is saying people without 4ktv, cannot see the benefit of the 4k video gaming, which this console is capable of delivering. It somehow got twisted that it wouldn't deliver more than that.

He's here saying that devs can use the extra horsepower for other stuffs, whether if its to dedicate all of them to run the game at better framerate and whats not. I am struggling to see what's so confusing here.

ArtHands

Man I'm surprised at the thread explosions around here right now. It's only 10am here on the east coast and we are talking about mixed messaging and confused gamers and how MS has lost it?

I don't know. Seems like a PR mixup where Phil said the wrong thing (you have to have a 4k tv) but is it really that hard to use critical thinking and realize he probably meant devs are free to choose whatever res they want, and that a game at 4k res will only show benefits on a 4k tv?

Pretty much this. I feel like there are some people who are forcing themselves to be confused here.

KORNdoggy

there's reading between the lines and being psychic.

you're claiming it's "obvious" to know someone is saying "it's the devs choice how they use the power" when he explicitly states that "only 4k TV owners will see a benefit and that if you own 1080 TV's you should just buy a one-s"

i'm a logical thinker, but i ain't no mind reader.

Montresor

Blame MS.

- Yeah, that's right.

Ah, that sucks.

- Oh wait, actually, devs can do whatever they want, they don't have to just use it for 4K!

- ... ¯_(ツ)_/¯

The messaging is stuck between a rock and hard place in terms of wanting to clearly differentiate from Sony's upgrade, without alienating 1080p users.

In your example, why isn't the discussion ending after they said

"- Oh wait, actually, devs can do whatever they want, they don't have to just use it for 4K! "

How come people are saying "but what about what you said before" instead "oh, you misspoke before, gotcha, so it's up to devs".

Doesn't that seem like a reasonable stance?

Blame MS.

- Yeah, that's right.

Ah, that sucks.

- ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The messaging is stuck between a rock and hard place in terms of wanting to clearly differentiate from Sony's upgrade, without alienating 1080p users.

I think this is their problem. If they completely abandon the Xbox One, gamers who just bought the system in the past 3 years will be pissed, and many of them comprise their customer base. Hence, the emphasis on 4k - as opposed to other, more complex improvements to graphical fidelity.

However, if they maintain compatibility with the Xbox One, they're leaving a lot of potential on the table with a 6 TF system, thereby stunting the growth of their shiny new console.

It's a rock and a hard place, and most of it still originates with the mistakes they made with the Xbox One.

Piper Az

thisisneogaf.gif

Perhaps Spencer should do a "final word on Scorpio" interview.

gamz

you're claiming it's "obvious" to know someone is saying "it's the devs choice how they use the power" when he explicitly states that "only 4k TV owners will see a benefit and that if you own 1080 TV's you should just buy a one-s"

Meaning 4K owners will see the benefit because Scorpio will be pushing 4K.

JaggedSac

As an example of how this will likely be handled, look at how Apex works on pc. You can set an output resolution and have the rest of the settings adjust accordingly to what the device capabilities afford at that given resolution. This could be handled in the background on the console based on the output resolution set at the console level. Heck, devs don't even have to do that automatically, they could look at output res of console and have a different set of configurations for each. The automated method would allow for future hardware to adjust to the new power gracefully without patches though. Like Halo 5 will on Scorpio, at least to 1080p.

Montresor

What about when he corrected himself?

I didn't mean it's obvious that someone that says "only 4k tv owners will benefit" means "it's up to devs to choose the right resolution".

I meant it's obvious he misspoke initially and backtracked. I'm just wondering what is so confusing now that we know he misspoke and admitted to backtracking.

Edited my post a bit.

At a cheaper price. Right. And?

Well, 'and', that doesn't jive well with your 'for people who want 4K now' argument.

If anything, I get the impression you're trying to wave away the notion of confusing communication/purpose.

People who want 4K now will also want the Scorpio next year. A pure 1080p bare-bones Xbox One S for cheap would've made more sense following your logic, right?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

"- Oh wait, actually, devs can do whatever they want, they don't have to just use it for 4K! "

How come people are saying "but what about what you said before" instead "oh, you misspoke before, gotcha, so it's up to devs".

Yeah, except - correct me if I'm wrong - but chronologically his 4K heavy comments in the Eurogamer interview published today seemingly came after the comments in the video published on Monday. So it's a bit like he's suggesting different things in different interviews all within a short timeframe - it's not clear he's correcting himself rather than just sending contradictory messages depending on which end of the messaging problem he's addressing. I'm not sure he's putting one corrected thing on the record so much as putting different things on the record depending on what he feels the concerns of the question are (competitive differentiation vs dev flexibility). If there's confusion, it's his responsibility.

ArtHands

Blame MS.

- Yeah, that's right.

Ah, that sucks.

- ... ¯_(ツ)_/¯

The messaging is stuck between a rock and hard place in terms of wanting to clearly differentiate from Sony's upgrade with the 'standard 4K' mantra of most of the messaging on the one hand, without wanting to alienate 1080p users on the other hand.

He'a referring to the 4k benefit (aka the main selling point of scorpio) when he say that, which is true. You wont benefit from the resolution bump if you are using just a full hd tv.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.

The problem is that the Eurogamer article (where he says that 4K = Scorpio and 1080p = XB1 S) seems to be newer than the Videogamer video discussed here.

At least the article was posted today and the video is from yesterday.

The solution is really simple, they just need to come out and say that Scorpio is aimed at enabling 4K gaming, but if the person choose to run it at a lower resolution he gets other benefits (like enhanced framerate, image quality, effects, etc)

My feelings exactly.

This corporate sucking up shit is just embarrassing

I bet you guys agreed with the original Xbox one plan to huh ?

SpartanN92

Banned
This 4K gaming push feels like a bad idea...FFS make a solid 1080p 60fps game with incredible effects, graphics, AI etc.

What I'm scared of is another Halo 5 situation where you see a lot sacrificed (Animation frame rate, Resolution, Graphics/Textures, Effects, AI) in order to hit a particular goal. In Halo 5's case it was 60fps. I feel like we will see the same thing out of Halo 6 only the goal becomes 4K AND 60fps.

KORNdoggy

What about when he corrected himself?

I didn't say it's obvious that someone that says "only 4k tv owners will benefit" means "it's up to devs to choose the right resolution".

I said it's obvious he misspoke initially and backtracked. I'm just wondering what is so confusing now that we know he misspoke and admitted to backtracking.

until his next interview, nothing is confusing. right now it's a developer choice...of course tomorrow it could just be aimed at 4k TV owners...so who knows. they need to sort out their messaging either way.

7NBWyvV.jpg

So which one is it?

Please buy the xbox one s

Please be excited for the xbox scorpio

Marketing trying to have their cake and eat it too

wtd2009

Doesn't surprise me that they haven't made a consistent message for the product yet, I expect that to be cleaned up by launch time. Still, fairly confused on theor goals for this at this point.

Fliesen

Yeah, this is pretty stupid, yet typical outrage. They are not so dumb as to tell everyone (most of us) without a 4k TV to go fuck off. If anything, devs will want to utilize the extra power at 1080p and make better looking games that run like silk, They are not going to prevent this from happening, as he already clarified.

you're acting like the majority of devs would choose performance over eye candy, when - time and time again - they've done the opposite, choosing 1080p30 over 1080p60 with less eyecandy or 900p60. (most devs, that is. Not all of them) - they're so afraid of people yelling "parity" and "downgrade" that they'll rather have games run at unstable frame rates over people doing pixelcounting or looking at preview screenshots vs. release.

framerare doesn't sell games, because responsiveness and fluidness can only be felt playing a game, but doesn't transport well via screenshots or promo videos. And since demos are all but dead, we'll be getting so many 4k30 games, with maybe 1080p60 for multiplayer.

Stormy

This corporate sucking up shit is just embarrassing

I bet you guys agreed with the original Xbox one plan to huh ?

Soooo, sucking up to the corporate teat simply because I do not see the outrage?

Do I prefer the games that come from MS? Sure. I like my Halp's and what not. As of right now though, I do not own any console and play exclusively on my PC. I don't really care one way or the other to be honest, I just do not see what is making people so upset "at this time". If the message is muddled a year from now and the Scorpio release is imminent, then by all means outrage away. Otherwise this all just seems like people looking to be outraged instead of actually being so.

Floody

NeoGAF being confused at a Microsoft product on purpose? Never happened before right...

MS being confused about their own product seems to happen regularly, which is the problem, suppose it's a good thing they have some time to figure it out and get their message straight though.

jond76

Banned
Sometimes I think people like to act confused so they can justify their weird hatred for MS (or Sony, or Nintendo. MS seems to be the fave target recently)

Zedox

Don't get it twisted, I think they could have been clearer. But it's really not hard to grasp what they are going for.

MadYarpen

Owning PS4 and Scorpio sounds like a good idea, but only if they can make they mind about it and confirm it will be a powerful console for 1080p gaming.

Liamario

Banned
They've announced the console so far ahead, that they don't even know what it is themselves.

They just announced too soon. They haven't set a lot of the features in stone. They don't know how devs are going to approach development on the console. The announcement was premature.

Don't get it twisted, I think they could have been clearer. But it's really not hard to grasp what they are going for.
People did grasp what it was until MS started contradicting themselves.

Joni

I wish Microsoft could go back to Redmond, talk things through with each other, then come out and actually say what they are doing. Because this is the exact thing they fucked up with the Xbox One and now they are doing it for both Xbox One S and Scorpio.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Not sure how its super confusing, seem to me what he said is that the xbox wont downscale 4k so unless you got 4k TV it wont do much for you at all but the devs can focus on 1080 optimizing with more stable frame-rate and fidelity instead.

KORNdoggy

Soooo, sucking up to the corporate teat simply because I do not see the outrage?

Do I prefer the games that come from MS? Sure. I like my Halp's and what not. As of right now though, I do not own any console and play exclusively on my PC. I don't really care one way or the other to be honest, I just do not see what is making people so upset "at this time". If the message is muddled a year from now and the Scorpio release is imminent, then by all means outrage away. Otherwise this all just seems like people looking to be outraged instead of actually being so.

if you're taking that stance that we shouldn't comment "at this time" i'd argue they shouldn't have even announced it "at this time"

if they wanted a better reaction, they should have just said "we're focusing on Xbox one and S right now, we'll talk about scorpio at a later date" that's a viable response for something so far away from a company not wanting to shit on their existing products. either that or just be consistent. one or the other. spencer decided on option C. talk a lot with inconsistent messaging...that's worked out for them so well in the past.

Top Bottom