• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Can Halo 5 deliver on its 60fps promise?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
So glad I'm not a game developer in this day and age. Must be so gutting seeing something you are putting your heart and soul into get ripped apart well before you have even launched.
Threads about res/fps based on an E3 demo get more attention than threads about actual new and exciting gameplay features such as warzone.

In all fairness, in some cases, the developers don't do themselves any favours. 343 over the last 6-12 months have been fairly cagey, bumbling, dishonest and flat out incompetent. They've also over an extended period displayed an inability to listen to the wider Halo community. Although in their defence, the Halo community is second only to the Sonic community for sheer schizophrenia and inconsistency.

Tumeke NZ

Banned
In all fairness, in some cases, the developers don't do themselves any favours. 343 over the last 6-12 months have been fairly cagey, bumbling, dishonest and flat out incompetent. They've also over an extended period displayed an inability to listen to the wider Halo community. Although in their defence, the Halo community is second only to the Sonic community for sheer schizophrenia and inconsistency.

Wow that's a bit harsh.
These guys and girls have a real tough job, especially with the social media spotlight on everything they do, and it must be hard trying to deliver on one of the biggest franchises in the industry.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Wow that's a bit harsh.
These guys and girls have a real tough job, especially with the social media spotlight on everything they do, and it must be hard trying to deliver on one of the biggest franchises in the industry.

No one forced 343 to reach beyond their means with MCC. Everyone would have been happy with H2A with multiplayer returning. Then 1,3 and 4 could have been added later and people would have been rapt and it would have given them the time to get it all right.

No one forced 343 to be misleading and cagey with their Halo on Xbox One 1080/60 talk 2 E3s ago.

Yes, making games is VERY hard, but bullshitery should be called out and 343 have brought a lot of the heat on themselves.

No one forced 343 to reach beyond their means with MCC. Everyone would have been happy with H2A with multiplayer returning. Then 1,3 and 4 could have been added later and people would have been rapt and it would have given them the time to get it all right.

No one forced 343 to be misleading and cagey with their Halo on Xbox One 1080/60 talk 2 E3s ago.

Yes, making games is VERY hard, but bullshitery should be called out and 343 have brought a lot of the heat on themselves.

Yea these fucking apologists are unreal.

After all the sacrifices they made its better be a consistent 1080/60fps. MCC performance is a fucking joke.

etta

my hard graphic balls

This is a bit cynical. Put yourself in their shoes. The 4 Halo's on one disc was their love letter to fans, it was not some scheme for bragging rights about the proper way to sell old games. It's not a matter of forcing oneself to do something, they just had a dream. Just imagine you were a long time developer there and someone comes up to you and asks you what you think about this idea. Imagine the overall reception and excitement in the office. At the end of the day these are people who love the work they do. They wake up every morning and think about what cool things they can add to Halo, or how to do stuff better.
Also, all Bonnie said at E3 2013 about Halo 5 was 60fps, right? She did not say 1080/60.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
This is a bit cynical. Put yourself in their shoes. The 4 Halo's on one disc was their love letter to fans, it was not some scheme for bragging rights about the proper way to sell old games. It's not a matter of forcing oneself to do something, they just had a dream. Just imagine you were a long time developer there and someone comes up to you and asks you what you think about this idea. Imagine the overall reception and excitement in the office.
Also, all Bonnie said at E3 2013 about Halo 5 was 60fps, right? She did not say 1080/60.

Wasn't the poncho announcement both?

Edit. Just saw it again. 60 frames. Fair enough.

Tumeke NZ

Banned

After all the sacrifices they made its better be a consistent 1080/60fps. MCC performance is a fucking joke.

First up I think you need to chill out a bit.

Secondly I haven't apologised for anything? I'm just saying the game isn't even out yet and its getting ripped to shreds like we have been shown everything there is to see.
I enjoy Halo games and look forward to 5. If it turns out to be a bad game I won't buy it.
Also last time I played MCC it was running great. When did you last play it?

The way you guys are turning this thread into a toxic waste dump is what's unreal here.

And yeah, I echo the above question. From the majority of accounts, it's reached an acceptable state. When did you last play it?
December?

The way you guys are turning this thread into a toxic waste dump is what's unreal here.

And yeah, I echo the above question. From the majority of accounts, it's reached an acceptable state. When did you last play it?
December?

Pretty much this. I swear the negativity that follows Halo around lately doesnt help the game very much in threads from here to Halo Waypoint.

No one forced 343 to reach beyond their means with MCC.

They're owned and published by Microsoft aren't they, the platform holder that was behind in sales and over-relies on holiday sales?

I would say that we don't KNOW they were forced, but...

Which do you think is more likely to decide to package all those past games up, the developer on the latest installment in the franchise, or the publisher of the series?

Hubble

I am still waiting for full dedicated servers in MCC as advertised and promised by 343. It is definitely not standard in multiplayer.

Pretty much this. I swear the negativity that follows Halo around lately doesnt help the game very much in threads from here to Halo Waypoint.

The negativity is well deserved and NeoGAF is a very honest reflection of the gaming community. Much negativity surrounds Halo threads because of how a golden franchise has slowly diminished under 343. This is clearly because of the company's inability to understand the franchise and to listen to its fans. 343 need to learn a lot from Rod Fergusson, who is heading Gears of War.

343 are obsessed with sprint and speed rather than the floaty mechanics and creative map design that makes Halo. Now we're getting a Halo full of corn. A Halo where you can ground pound, which is corny and uncharacteristic of the seriousness in Halo. Corny charge-ins to destroy a wall for secret passages are now a tactic along with larger than average maps to accommodate sprint, and a ton of clamber elements thrown all over the map, e.g., all the platforms to clamber up in Empire. Halo is turning to corn. They largely threw the fan feedback from Halo 4 away in Halo 5, and then delivered a monstrosity in the MCC, which effectively killed off the Halo community as of late after not working for 6 months.

Arc

I don't know why "well they have a hard job" is an acceptable counter to the more than valid criticism of 343. In what other career/industry does that get you a pass for consistently mediocre performance?

Metfanant

It absolutely will not be...they made a VERY conscious decision during the initial reveal trailer to say "60fps" with no mention of resolution

Niteandgrey

Neo Member

I have no insider information so this is purely speculation on my part. But I strongly suspect that this 60fps target was more the idea of a Microsoft exec than 343.

Halo has always been a 30fps series with a reasonably high level of graphical fidelity. So it's not as though the primary fan base was expecting a 60fps game. The fact that the GPU in the Xbone is a modest piece of silicon is not lost on 343 either. (I'm not hating on the 'Bone, I have one.. but let's be honest, the gpu isn't setting the world on fire). 343 knows what they're dealing with in terms of the hardware and they obviously showed with Halo 4 that they're technically extremely competent. So it's doubtful that they would overestimate the capabilities of the console.

I just have a difficult time believing that this 60fps target came from the studio. It's needlessly aggressive and to me the whole thing screams "upper management meddling".

JeffG

I just have a difficult time believing that this 60fps target came from the studio. It's needlessly aggressive and to me the whole thing screams "upper management meddling".
Is it really that difficult to believe that a company that makes a FPS would want it to be 60 fps?

watership

Upper management would probably love to have 1080p over 60fps, given how this gen has lost it's collective shit over that number, rather than any other metric.

Niteandgrey

Neo Member
Is it really that difficult to believe that a company that makes a FPS would want it to be 60 fps?

Wanting it to be something and actively building a project plan over that "something" are two entirely different things. So yes, I do find it extremely difficult to believe that a studio that has the collective technical experience of 343 would have 60 fps as a target.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I don't know why "well they have a hard job" is an acceptable counter to the more than valid criticism of 343. In what other career/industry does that get you a pass for consistently mediocre performance?
You misunderstood me. I am just saying to keep the criticism in check, as in, imagine you were in their shoes and receiving that criticism yourself. Fair criticism is fine, but some of the stuff said here is overexagerated as hell.

Madness

probably this....

More than likely came from the fans and pro community who have been wanting 60fps for years because of how much better it plays. Their investments into HCS, partnering with ESL and twitch, creating dedicated spectator modes, having the entire multi-player and campaign coop portion of the game be on dedicated servers they are serious about game play performance. It didn't come from any suit to one day just day hey let's have 60fps.

Dedicated servers and 60fps were long requested features and that's what they are trying to achieve with Halo 5, even if it means things like split screen get left in the dust.

I'm actually surprised how identical this looks to Halo 4 in terms of graphical assets and effects (outside of the 60hz framerate). Halo 4 was the ultimate X360 showpiece imo but Halo 5 isn't doing the XB1 much favors it seems.

I think it is more like "xb1 isn't doing halo 5 any graphical favors".

Pandy

More than likely came from the fans and pro community who have been wanting 60fps for years because of how much better it plays. Their investments into HCS, partnering with ESL and twitch, creating dedicated spectator modes, having the entire multi-player and campaign coop portion of the game be on dedicated servers they are serious about game play performance. It didn't come from any suit to one day just day hey let's have 60fps.

Dedicated servers and 60fps were long requested features and that's what they are trying to achieve with Halo 5, even if it means things like split screen get left in the dust.

I'd suggest it's got little to do with any of those things, and much more to do with Destiny shooting for 30fps. 343i needed something to make their game stand out when compared side by side with Bungie's.

Journey

Banned
I think it is more like "xb1 isn't doing halo 5 any graphical favors".

Although there may have been bigger leaps in previous gens, this console generation has shown to be pretty serviceable, CPU being the major fallback imo, but to say they're not doing games any favor is pushing it. PS4/X1 have done pretty well with their respective capabilities. We would've liked U4 at 60fps or Halo at 1080p, but what we are getting is still impressive when you consider all factors.

:p

The negativity is well deserved and NeoGAF is a very honest reflection of the gaming community.

Regardless of whatever else you're saying, this is so false. NeoGAF is a intensely hyper-critical reflection of the gaming community. There is a ton of intellectual dishonesty, technical ignorance, and some downright toxic mentalities on this forum at times.

Journey

Banned
The negativity is well deserved and NeoGAF is a very honest reflection of the gaming community.

Are you saying NeoGAF is a hive-mind? by doing that you're including a huge group of concern trolls that don't even care about Halo 5 or XB1 and trying to say that it's some sort of honest reflection...

Are you saying NeoGAF is a hive-mind? by doing that you're including a huge group of concern trolls that don't even care about Halo 5 or XB1 and trying to say that it's some sort of honest reflection...

It's not an honest reflection at all. Most gamers where I'm from get together and play games and have fun. This forum seems to have a lot of people who enjoy complaining about things that are game related and being focused with things like resolution, frame rate and game exclusivity over the actual enjoyment of playing any games.

Top Bottom