• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Can Halo 5 deliver on its 60fps promise?

Hardly any console games these days has a stable 30 or 60fps without dips. Certainly no AAA titles. Its always possible to find areas with dips. Its going to always happen.

That said if people really think the game is going to run worse than the H5 beta I would never entertain a single idea they have because they would be pretty foolish.
hit the nail on the head. The beta looked fine and ran great. If anyone thinks that the final game will look worse and run worse than the beta then they are very foolish.

Journey

Banned
Hmmm solid 60fps AT LEAST 98% of the time.
Preferably attain that with drops of no more than 1-2 frames.

God dayum that's faith...

I pray for you. Gaf doesn't forget...it will collect.

Smh, are your thoughts collected too or will you go Scott free?

Looking at DF's analysis of the Gears of War Ultimate beta running 1080p 60fps is good evidence that the system is quite capable of running nice 1080p/60 visuals. It's really in the hands of 343, no excuses after watching that video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFFekHWxCZc

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
You don't see the visual difference between Gears of War Ultimate and Halo 5?

Journey

Banned
You don't see the visual difference between Gears of War Ultimate and Halo 5?

That's not really the point. A console's hardware is locked and developers have to do a balance act to get the right peformance/visuals. If their target is 60fps, then they can't go too far where it would affect the resolution too much or worse, lose their 60fps target to horrible dips, but if balanced correctly, devs can work wonders with current console hardware.

Halo threads seem to go some crazy places these days.

I like to think there is still some sort of umbilical cord that ties it to Destiny still.

That... or the franchises are like conjoined twins. Emotions run high for both franchises, and all the threads turn to shit after the 3rd page or so. It's like one can't fail without the hate spilling to the other, and the other can't succeed without raising the other up.

* Gaming side threads anyway.

I'm basing this on absolutely nothing.

That's not really the point. A console's hardware is locked and developers have to do a balance act to get the right peformance/visuals. If their target is 60fps, then they can't go too far where it would affect the resolution too much or worse, lose their 60fps target to horrible dips, but if balanced correctly, devs can work wonders with current console hardware.

Halo is a different ballgame than Gears. Of course, there is no magic to getting 1080/60, it's just about lowering things in quality until they reach that, but in order to do that it has to be well above 60FPS in the absolute worst case scenarios.

Halo is super variable and I doubt 343 want to cut back on certain things overall just to keep the game at 1080 without dropping when the game won't be getting hit that hard most of the time.

The load in Gears really doesn't change all that much, it's super tight and not that variable. Halo would be about the hardest game to get to stay at 1080/60 I can think of outside of an open world game. Halo is a sandbox game.

This is also why the optimization process at the end is so important. That's the point where they try to get the systems they have to run better and hopefully get certain things to not hit the engine quite as hard. That's how they finalize performance and decide on things like resolution.

Journey

Banned
They couldnt even match their own games from last generation with MCC.

giphy.gif

NX Gamer's analysis of the beta from last year shows the game already running at 60fps and it could only improve from there. A year of optimization and they won't be able to get it to at least 900p?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ2odi_SFBs

Hardly any console games these days has a stable 30 or 60fps without dips. Certainly no AAA titles. Its always possible to find areas with dips. Its going to always happen.

That said if people really think the game is going to run worse than the H5 beta I would never entertain a single idea they have because they would be pretty foolish.

Forza 5, solid 60 no dips.

nib95

Banned

Looking at DF's analysis of the Gears of War Ultimate beta running 1080p 60fps is good evidence that the system is quite capable of running nice 1080p/60 visuals. It's really in the hands of 343, no excuses after watching that video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFFekHWxCZc

If your barometer is a Remaster of a 9 year old game...

Better to compare to Forza 5/6, Fifa 2015, NBA 2K15 etc. Battlefield, Call of Duty, Titanfall, Master Chief Collection etc as far shooters go, though they aren't locked.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Gears of War Ultimate beta running 1080p 60fps is good evidence that the system is quite capable of running nice 1080p/60 visuals. It's really in the hands of 343, no excuses after watching that video.

NX Gamer's analysis of the beta from last year shows the game already running at 60fps and it could only improve from there. A year of optimization and they won't be able to get it to at least 900p?

That was a quick backpedal!

Dice

In that case, I agree. I would be fine with less detailed everything to keep a good framerate and res. I think games look good these days, and don't need a lot of super complexity with tessellation and crazy particle physics and stuff if it'll hurt performance too much.

Journey

Banned
That was a quick backpedal!

What backpedal? Gears of War is 1080p 60fps and looks nice, does it not?

Backpedal yourself the other way buddy, don't target me as if I'm saying anything out of the ordinary, I'm simply saying that devs should have the ability to control what they want to output, unless they get too ambitious and go way off the mark, but in the end with closed hardware it's on the devs.

Dynasty

giphy.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ2odi_SFBs

I have no doubt the arena mode will be a solid 60 FPS, warzone and campaign I honestly don't think they will be able to reach it. Also for the campaign I don't care that much if it ain't a solid 60 I am more concerned with the level design. It needs to be open like the older Halo.

Lrrr

It's very difficult to fathom that the XBO can't hit a consistent 900p/60fps for any game, much less Halo 5. If this turns out to be the case, I'll have no choice but to believe that 343i's graphical reach far exceeded the XBO's GPUs stars.

tuxfool

Banned
It's very difficult to fathom that the XBO can't hit a consistent 900p/60fps for any game, much less Halo 5. If this turns out to be the case, I'll have no choice but to believe that 343i's graphical reach far exceeded the XBO's GPUs stars.

Given that a very large quantity of games on the Xb1 have been 900p/30 I don't think it is unreasonable for people to express skepticism. COD:AW did 1080pr/60 but that has fewer pixels than even 900p and is a corridor shooter.

Dice

I can't believe this. Last gen KojiPro, Naughty Dog, and a couple Capcom teams did ridiculously amazing things with graphical impressiveness and performance, far beyond many other teams. If you can't sort out how to manifest your artistic vision with technological efficiency, that is just a lack of skill.

It's seems from reading this thread that even if H5 turned out to be the best game ever if it doesn't hit 1080p locked 60fps then it automatically becomes crap - Crazy

Montresor

343 is fucked. If they don't hit a locked 60fps and something equal or above 900p then the shitstorm will completely overwhelm any good things in the following categories: level design, campaign, story, online multiplayer, music, etc...

I think that's ridiculous. But too often "this is a tech thread" gets thrown as an excuse for completely ridiculous expectations. It's possible for the game to still be fantastic even if it has slight dips below 60fps, guys.

"But this is a tech thread. The whole point of the thread is to dissect every pixel and dropped frame". Gross. It doesn't matter how insane things get: "this is a tech thread".

Dice

It's seems from reading this thread that even if H5 turned out to be the best game ever if it doesn't hit 1080p locked 60fps then it automatically becomes crap - Crazy
Most of the naysayers want it to be exactly like older Halo games to be happy, so I wouldn't worry too much about them. It's like people who only want a "real" sonic/mario/zelda/doom/elder scrolls/final fantasy. Sometimes you just have to accept the times are a-changin' and you're getting something different than the old thing even if you still would have enjoyed the old thing.

Most of the naysayers want it to be exactly like older Halo games to be happy, so I wouldn't worry too much about them. It's like people who only want a "real" sonic/mario/zelda/doom/elder scrolls/final fantasy. Sometimes you just have to accept the times are a-changin' and you're getting something different than the old thing even if you still would have enjoyed the old thing.

It seems to be consistent with most games this generation - resolution seems more important than the actual game to some people

tuxfool

Banned

The issue is that a confluence of factors involve getting the game to 60 fps (or close). You either make the environment smaller, make effects etc. of a lower fidelity, reduce the resolution (hindering IQ) or lower the frame rate (Old Halos did both of the latter options).

Everybody has different preferences and unlike a PC not all of these factors can be met, so inevitably somebody is going to be disappointed in their choices.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

Nice straw man. I think if the game s good people will quickly forget any technical deficiencies. Halo 3 was a sub-HD no AA eye soar, but it didn't stop people from playing and enjoying the game.

I personally don't see much value arguing over numbers for an unreleased game. The article is interesting, but why draw many conclusions from it other than "343 have their work cut out for them, let's see what they ship". I guess it is a springboard for a "60fps, worth it at all cost" discussion.

Akai__

343 is fucked. If they don't hit a locked 60fps and something equal or above 900p then the shitstorm will completely overwhelm any good things in the following categories: level design, campaign, story, online multiplayer, music, etc...

I think that's ridiculous. But too often "this is a tech thread" gets thrown as an excuse for completely ridiculous expectations. It's possible for the game to still be fantastic even if it has slight dips below 60fps, guys.

"But this is a tech thread. The whole point of the thread is to dissect every pixel and dropped frame". Gross. It doesn't matter how insane things get: "this is a tech thread".

I could care less about the final resolution, but things like gameplay, leveldesign, AI behaviour and performance are very important to me.

Halo 4 suffered from being 720p, in my eyes. Game wasn't very fun, but it sure looked good. It becomes even more noticeable in the MCC. You play these crazy good Halo campaigns (gameplay wise) from 1-3 and then when you get to Halo 4, you realise that the gameplay is pretty boring.

I just hope the Halo 5 campaign is all about fun enemy encounters and missions, while still performing great this time.

Also, people seem to forget that NeoGAF is a very tiny %age of the whole cake. Wether the game will be popular or not (because it didn't hit requirements) isn't decided by this Forum. You should form your own opinion after the game is released anyways.

I don't think that's the case at all here. I actually haven't seen this brought up once. For campaign at least, but MP is split into 7 factions anyways.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I don't know if you're an expert. But 343 just shot themselves in the frame buffer.

Freiya

I know it's not, but you missed my point. 60fps is more playable than 30fps. The question is how much to how many people. Where you do draw the line? Most PC gamers I know prefer a higher framerate, most Nintendo gamers I know prefer the same. They also age better, imo. I'm not gonna be the guy to say 30fps looks choppy, but it sure as shit ain't very smooth.

You say it was a mistake for them to go 60 in single player, I say the consistency between mp and campaign is better, as well as fluidity that 60fps brings. It's easier on the eyes, which more than makes up for other graphical shortcomings. Just look at Halo MCC, the jump to 60 made those games all look and play worlds better.

All of this is rendered moot when you take into consideration that every halo at release has been 30 fps.

Madness

All of this is rendered moot when you take into consideration that every halo at release has been 30 fps.

Saying all Halo were 30fps is no different than calling Halo 5 a 60fps game. Halo 4 and Reach especially struggled with frame rate, with frequent drops to the low 20's, so why would Halo 5 need to be 60fps every instant?

To maintain locked 60, you'd need to be aiming for a game that can easily hit 70fps+ and that's just not possible with the Xbox One hardware whilst still having great visual fidelity and decent resolution.

I agree with a poster above saying it's a tech thread tries to invalidate real discussion on what exactly is achievable in the end. Why is a game like Forza even brought up as evidence that so and so should be able to do 1080p/60? It's a racing game. Halo should be directly comparable to other shooters ON XBOX ONE in terms of tech. And as we've seen, even the top games so far have struggled doing more than 720p/30, 900p/30, 900p/60, 1080p/30

343 is perhaps the premier studio Microsoft has. They're not incompetent, look at what they achieved with Halo 4. They have the ability and resources and knowledge to utilize the hardware more than any other developer. If they have some issue, then you know others would have the same. I mean Xbox hardware engineers are probably working with the 343 staff on the game at parts. I fully expect this is just pre-launch paranoia much like Halo 3. Halo 5 will ship, it will look and play amazing.

Since you are here. Any chance the panel from SDCC will be uploaded to YouTube or something?

Oh and lol.

I'm not them, but I know they said on Waypoint they were working with SDCC to get it uploaded at a later date.

I think there are some sort of broadcast rules for SDCC panels (exclusivity n shizz).

Pop

It seems to be consistent with most games this generation - resolution seems more important than the actual game to some people

Just make the game 720p/60fps and call it a day then. Surely resolution doesn't matter that much. Maybe some of us don't like to look at a blurry image.

GnawtyDog

Banned

smh? Ban bets and avatar bets are "collected" aka enforced when they're serious enough. I was just joking with him on the matter - and he seems serious. He also set some high parameters. I wouldn't bet on that even if it were ND at 1080p, 30 fps on U4. Too many action sequences and potential scenarios where the game can "stress out" the hardware. Likewise for Halo 5. So it's in a way, a matter of faith.

Banamy

Gameplay matters over graphics especially for halo. The game ran perfect at 720p/60 over a year out. Why wouldnt a development period of a year not improve it??

Top Bottom