• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Hands-on with 10 Xbox One X games that show us what it's really capable of

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Good to hear the hardware is performing as well as MS has said. I'd definitely be picking up this console if I was in the Xbox ecosystem. Some nice engineering went into this one.

DF seems very impressed.
DF's write ups from hands on with both the Pro and the XBX have been the best selling points for both consoles.

RootCause

Fantastic news. Looks like MS did a fine job.
November 7 can't come soon enough. Even payed a bit extra for the fastest shipping. :p

chadskin

They got Quantum Break to native 4K? Impressive, wasn't that 720p on OG?

It was one of the few titles not shown running at native 4K, instead using the same upscaling technique as the base model, based on the accumulated data from four prior frames. Certain scenarios can break the illusion, giving us a look at how the technology works - and right now, we'd hazard a guess that the base resolution is probably closer to 1080p before the smart upscaling kicks in.

Reading this it sounds like the upgrade over the original xbox one is indeed massive, wnd it's the only reason I'm picking one up. I was fine with keeping my regular ps4 , iq was good enough I felt.

EvB

It's not native 4k, it's using the same system that the Xbox One and PC version used (before patch) , it's base resolution is 1080p at is temporarily reconstructed to a 4K image.

Colbert

Banned

no they didn't. They it is likely 1080p but nonetheless a huge upgrade!

Eurogamer said:
Certain scenarios can break the illusion, giving us a look at how the technology works - and right now, we'd hazard a guess that the base resolution is probably closer to 1080p before the smart upscaling kicks in.

Gestault

I know there was some backlash to Microsoft marketing a system as ideal for 4K when not literally every title will render in native 4K, but it's great hearing how right out the gate, the spirit of that seems to play out in the games. The power difference compared to the Pro is clear in practice (let alone the base systems this gen).

This is sounding as good as a $500 box can.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm hoping the actual existence of the Xbox One X makes more devs consider being a bit more robust with both their PS4 Pro *and* Xbox One X enhancements by making it more justifiable to pursue, since both the PlayStation and Xbox ecosystems now feature up-specced console SKUs.

I also hope that Microsoft absolutely doubles down and enforces enhancements they've universally promised, such as higher-resolution titles always downsampling for 1080p users -- it's been an awfully perplexing thing seeing devs actually withhold this from users with the PS4 Pro.

So far, so good -- just as promising, if not moreso due to specific call-outs like universal downsampling, than the lead up to the PS4 Pro launch. I just hope that having an Xbox SKU on the market influences more devs to consider taking advantage of more power that perphaps even more users will now have available to them across both platform ecosystems.

I think we're going to see that. Witcher 3 is already confirmed to be getting updates on both platforms and some older titles that haven't been updated before, like Doom, are confirmed for XBX so I think it's highly likely we'll see a Pro patch for that one as well.

There are no improvements for destiny 2 on both the pro and the X? That's crazy. I didn't know that.
Destiny 2 is checkerboard 4k on the Pro with dynamic scaling. I expect it'll be native on XBX. Bungie just said they aren't talking about XBX support since they're focused on launch platforms. I'm sure support for it will come eventually.

leeh

Reading this makes me happy inside.

I can't wait for launch day. This thread reminds me to put a holiday day in or two.

Gitaroo

what is so unexpected about Rise of the Tomb Raider native 4K? The game IS running at 1080p even on the Xbone. In all the interviews MS already said their goal is to make a system that can run games at native 4K if the game is running at 1080p on xbox, native 3200x1800 if the game is running at 900p on xbox. And 720p or lower will need checkerboarding. Even DF said so themselves many time, no surprises there; Xbx GPU has 4X the performance of xbone and then some. Looking at the videos, effects are still missing in cut scenes and then some frame dip. That is because all cut scenes were 1440x1080p on xbone, they need much bigger overhead to run that at native 4k.

leeh

what is so unexpected about Rise of the Tomb Raider native 4K? The game IS running at 1080p even on the Xbone. In all the interviews MS already said their goal is to make a system that can run games at native 4K if the game is running at 1080p on xbox, native 3200x1800 if the game is running at 900p on xbox. And 720p or lower will need checkerboarding. Even DF said so themselves many time, no surprises there; Xbx GPU has 4X the performance of xbone and then some. Looking at the videos, effects are still missing in cut scenes and then some frame dip. That is because all cut scenes were 1440x1080p on xbone, they need much bigger overhead to run that at native 4k.
Positive vibes mate, positive vibes.

None of us are surprised, we're just happy.

gamz

"And it's that consistency in results - from the games we've seen thus far, at least - that is heartening. With every new PlayStation 4 Pro game that comes along, there's a sense of the unknown about what enhancements are actually going to manifest, and the extent to which an investment in a 4K screen actually pays off. Just like Sony, Microsoft has left the door open to developers to do what they want with the hardware, but certainly based on the titles we've seen so far, the delineation between the two models looks far more clear cut - Xbox One X is the console for your 4K screen"

Holy shit!

sibarraz

Banned
Why Killer Instinct cutscenes has such a low resolution?

Even in the original one those cutscenes disturbed, I will get a stroke when watching them in 4k

Mr Moose

I believe there are increased effects in some areas on top of the 4K native resolution.

-

I don't have any plans on getting an Xbox One X but I am excited about seeing what it can do.

ornery

Pro trade in at gamestop is a set $200. Unfortunately, I don't even know if they're doing in store preorders anymore. It seems the average preorder limit per store was around 15-20.

$200? I was hoping to get at least $250.

I might wait around to see if they toss in a trade-in bonus

Trago

I am interested to see the DF videos on One X vs Pro multiplats. I'm sure there will be more improvements beyond higher resolution.

nOoblet16

"And it's that consistency in results - from the games we've seen thus far, at least - that is heartening. With every new PlayStation 4 Pro game that comes along, there's a sense of the unknown about what enhancements are actually going to manifest, and the extent to which an investment in a 4K screen actually pays off. Just like Sony, Microsoft has left the door open to developers to do what they want with the hardware, but certainly based on the titles we've seen so far, the delineation between the two models looks far more clear cut - Xbox One X is the console for your 4K screen"

Holy shit!

The more powerful console is the better choice for playing at higher resolution...news at 11 :p

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I am interested to see the DF videos on One X vs Pro multiplats. I'm sure there will be more improvements beyond higher resolution.

I'm expecting checkerboard on Pro versus native with higher res textures on XBX most of the time. Anything not using checkerboard or some form of temporal reconstruction will likely show larger differences.

DF has always stated that proper CB implementation leaves a thin margin for difference to native. If that's true I wonder how many people would prefer those GPU resources spent in other areas. Resolution alone won't seem to make a meaningful image quality improvement over PS4 Pro it seems.

No. But the extra RAM for textures will. The fact the 1X games can have their own asset sets will make a big difference in image quality.

Not on neogaf.com, Sony fanboy central lol.

Really????

Very nice.

Might get an X down the line when it's lowered in price, depending on the improvements of my favorite multiplats this gen (The Witcher 3 for example) and how they compare to the Pro.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
But why the heck would you go for full 4k instead of checkerboarding with 60fps?

Depends on if CPU is the framerate bottleneck. I know for next gen I would prefer devs aim for 60fps with reconstructed resolutions but if the GPU will allow for 4k and the CPU won't allow for 60, might as well go for it.

Boke1879

What the pro should have been. Good job Microsoft.

I'd say the Pro is exactly what it should have been. You get improvements at a cheaper cost.

With One X you get better improvements but it costs more. Makes sense.

Again. I'm glad devs are putting in the extra effort. Hopefully that trickles down to the Pro as well and it seems like it will with games like Witcher 3 etc.

f@luS

More than a member.
Day one

Gonna buy multiplat game on Xbox one. Controllers are the same for me and I don't play online much so I just want the best version.
Now I have tomb raider and witcher on PS4 (pro) never played yet. Should I buy it on Xbox one X for the best or PS4
Pro version will be enough for these games .... tomb raider maybe as I played maybe 30" and it was very good looking. But witcher 3 may have a bigger leap

I honestly don't see a difference between 4K Cb and native and I'm playing 2 meters away from 65" 4k oled.

I'm expecting checkerboard on Pro versus native with higher res textures on XBX most of the time. Anything not using checkerboard or some form of temporal reconstruction will likely show larger differences.

That's honestly best case scenario for Pro. Lots more games seem to be using a res in between 1440p and 1800p than 4K or 2160c.

growndhog

Neo Member
Pro trade in at gamestop is a set $200. Unfortunately, I don't even know if they're doing in store preorders anymore. It seems the average preorder limit per store was around 15-20.

My local GameStop had only 8 preorders available, and I was able to get the 5th preorder.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Nice to see some pretty significant improvements. C'mon, Sunset Overdrive patch!

A Sunet Overdrive patch would be awesome. I must say I'm impressed they got a Quantum Break patch. I'd love to see a native 1080p option (or higher) with no reconstruction involved. On PC I greatly preferred the image quality with reconstruction turned off.

theWB27

Yeah. It's fucking ridiculous.

$100 for an XB1/PS4

$150 for an XB1S

$200 for a Pro

I might have to take that deal for the base X1...so many of my digital games don't load. I haven't been able to try Fifa this gen with EA access. Had to return NBA2k17 and get it on PS4. Couldn't try the Live demo and there are some others. Might as well trade it in and get something.

I cannot wait to get this machine though.

inner-G

Banned
As long if it's not native 4k and if it's 30fps still not impressed

I know that even my i5/1080 PC struggles at times with 4K/60 games, so I'd have to guess that most native games on here will have to be 30fps if the resolution is native 4K, unless they aren't that demanding of games in the first place.

Oh my... i can't wait for those new articles that will come out with in-depth analysis!!!!

this article just made me closer to pressing pre-order on the xbox one x . lol

Top Bottom