• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Hands-on with 10 Xbox One X games that show us what it's really capable of

RedRum

Banned
Choosing to market it as "True 4K" was a mistake, it's just so easy for fanboys and haters to latch onto whenever a game isn't running native.

True 4K actually has a meaning for MS. It's a combination of things that the console is capable of. You can't base your marketing to the likes and dislikes of fanboys and warriors.

Duderino

However, checkerboarding can and does really work well in delivering a great image for 4K screens. It'll be an interesting exercise to see how well image quality on these existing Pro titles holds up side-by-side with the native output from the Microsoft hardware.

This is what I'm the most curious about. The Pro's ID buffer in theory could give it the edge with checkerboarding image quality. EA's GDC slides illustrate how it can help resolve artifacts and aliasing. They also mention on the 3rd to last page that it's a feature exclusive to the PS4 Pro, which very well could mean the Xbox One X lacks a similar hardware level implementation. If that is indeed the case, I'm not sure if it's up to developers to build their own software alternative like EA suggests, or if Microsoft has dedicated resources on the subject. Sounds like they do when it comes to sparse rendering, but who knows if that includes an ID buffer.

Anyways, I guess this doesn't matter much if the majority of games do hit 4k on the X. Also the other improvements more powerful hardware can provide may make up for the potential lack of an ID buffer in other ways with games that do go with checkerboarding. Should be interesting.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Another wall of text article, good to hear but the lack of actual showings is discouraging.
Especially when all we've had is video's comparing ROTTR on X1X at 4K to the standard PS4 at 1080p, which begs the question, Why?
like always it's best to wait till we have it in our mits to really see the benefits.

jeffram

This all sounds very impressive.

Full Disclosure the 360 is the only MS console I've owned and I only ever played Gears & Halo on it, rest of my time is spent on mostly Sony and some Nintendo platforms.

That being said, I'm ready to buy this if the UHD player is better than the One S. I was set to buy the S when it was released until I heard bad things about the UHD performance, and I ended up getting a stand alone player instead. If they've fixed those issues a One X (and BUBG and Forza 7) will be mine!

MilkyJoe

Choosing to market it as "True 4K" was a mistake, it's just so easy for fanboys and haters to latch onto whenever a game isn't running native.

A true 4K machine is a machine that can do any number of the modern AAA games at 4K. Which it can

Throw enough at a 1080 and eventually it's not doing 4K

The only thing that can be true 4K forever is the TV set.

JaggedSac

The majority of the Gears of War community, even if it's at a lower resolution of checkerboarding. Having the multiplayer at 60fps and then Horde at 30fps isn't a great experience. Yeah yeah jaguar is trash, but with how well the game holds 30fps on base Xbox One and with how even a full mutliplayer match of AI doesn't drop below 60fps. I wouldn't be surprised if the One X could do it. Just not at native 4K, but if they weren't going for native 4K a lot of people here would have a meltdown about Microsoft lying about 4K. So here we are.

I believe multiplayer is dynamic 4k.

Hawk269

I know there was some backlash to Microsoft marketing a system as ideal for 4K when not literally every title will render in native 4K, but it's great hearing how right out the gate, the spirit of that seems to play out in the games. The power difference compared to the Pro is clear in practice (let alone the base systems this gen).

This is sounding as good as a $500 box can.

From what I have gathered based on previous posts by Jez that final SDK is in October and all Xbox One X games need to be authored using that SDK. Not sure what improvements that SDK has over what is available now, but looking at past new consoles, usually the SDK's just prior to launch offer up some improvements. Not suggesting that this will be the case here, but it should be interesting.

One other point is having a a 6TF machine with the changes they made to the CPU, Bandwidth, Memory and other things in a closed platform makes it punch above it's weight class compared to a PC GPU at 6tf. Just like the PS4 with games like Uncharted and Horizon Zero down, you don't see fidelity like that on a PC with a 1.8tf GPU.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
'This generation'

Shit has been going on for a while now. The amount people care about resolution directly coincides with how much power their favorite console has. Basically, fanboys are pathetic.

although i generally agree, i think MS set themselves up for being piled on with how they started the gen, which should not be dismissed for what it was. People really wanted to get back at MS for perceived slights, and if that meant magnifying the differences between platforms, that would happen. not as if it didn't happen last gen as well though.

It also didn't help that XB1 had a lot of things tied to its perceived value in addition to being weaker. More expensive, launching at the same time ect. XB1X is launching about a year after pro and a 100 dollars more, and it shows.

shandy706

Another wall of text article, good to hear but the lack of actual showings is discouraging.
Especially when all we've had is video's comparing ROTTR on X1X at 4K to the standard PS4 at 1080p, which begs the question, Why?
like always it's best to wait till we have it in our mits to really see the benefits.

tenor.gif

Pack it up DF.

But... why is it MS' fault for giving devs the tools to do what they want with their hardware??

Isn't this a choice for developers and not MS??
This criticism applies equally well for developers as it does for Microsoft. Although Microsoft has been pushing native 4K as an easy way to distinguish the XB1X from the Pro. That thinking likely went into the hardware design trade offs. A similar thing happened with the desire for multitasking leading to the XB1 getting DDR3 memory instead of GDDR5. All of this has created the environment where developers feel the need to go native 4K if possible to be a "true" XB1X title.

However, to be fair to the devs, their games still have to run on the base models. They can't use the extra processing power in ways that would affect gameplay.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
tenor.gif

Pack it up DF.
Well they did it with PS4Pro too, so it is discouraging.
They tell us it's this and that and when we see it's even good or another story altogether.
Sorry I'm in the "seeing is believing" group

neurophd

I have skipped many of these titles due to the announcement of X1X so I am excited to play them naively in their full glory. Do you expect these upgraded games' prices to continue to drop or should I be snatching them up along the way as they go on sale?

chinoXL

good to see Microsoft made a solid upgrade...wish it had 21:9 support tho....still want to see how Microsoft is going to market this to the "normal" consumer base

Hawk269

Reading this makes me happy inside.

I can't wait for launch day. This thread reminds me to put a holiday day in or two.

LMAO...I actually just did that after reading your post. My Gamestop already said they are doing a Mid-Night launch, so I am going to work on Monday and take Tuesday/Wednesday off. The new Xbox One dashboard update that is coming is going to allow you to "opt in" and download Xbox One X patches (depending on whats available) to your HDD...so I am hoping that most enhanced titles will have them up early so come launch day it is just plugging the system up to my set up, plugging the HDD in and be off and running.

Lister

Banned
From what I have gathered based on previous posts by Jez that final SDK is in October and all Xbox One X games need to be authored using that SDK. Not sure what improvements that SDK has over what is available now, but looking at past new consoles, usually the SDK's just prior to launch offer up some improvements. Not suggesting that this will be the case here, but it should be interesting.

One other point is having a a 6TF machine with the changes they made to the CPU, Bandwidth, Memory and other things in a closed platform makes it punch above it's weight class compared to a PC GPU at 6tf. Just like the PS4 with games like Uncharted and Horizon Zero down, you don't see fidelity like that on a PC with a 1.8tf GPU.

So, secret sauce... Ok, I guess some people never learn.

Also a 1.8 tf pc gpu certainly could do the same. Better even since most gaming good aren't paired with a low powered and gpu.

I have skipped many of these titles due to the announcement of X1X so I am excited to play them naively in their full glory. Do you expect these upgraded games' prices to continue to drop or should I be snatching them up along the way as they go on sale?

When the 1X drops you'll see a lot of sales for enhanced titles both on the xbox store and at retail. Also, being so close to black friday, you can bet that most older games will be on sale.

Also all the people freaking out about resolution differences since the beginning of this generation.

To be fair, diminishing returns means that resolution differences are far more noticeable between sub 1080p and 1080p, and native 4K and chekerboarded 4K. Also note that an image that is not a multiple of the native display resolution carries an additional hit to image quality. Finally checkboarding is additional tech used to map lower resolutions to native 4K that was not used at the start of this gen.

With that said, the resolution differences by themselves between the XB1 and PS4 were overhyped. Ryse was a great looking sub 1080p game. All this goes to show that if raw resolution differences weren't the whole story at the start of the generation, they are even less so now.

This is fantastic news for PC players as well, high end users will enjoy any higher quality assets that first party studios will put in the game for the xbox one x version.

This is fantastic news for PC players as well, high end users will enjoy any higher quality assets that first party studios will put in the game for the xbox one x version.
Correct. I have a powerful PC, but I am eager to put it back in my office for development purposes. This system will allow me to do so and keep my eyes from breaking. I'm so happy MS is releasing this beast.

Jumeira

Banned
For me, the stand out info is the feedback about dev environment, seems like they're achieving alot without putting in equal amount of effort. Bodes well for future games as devs become more experienced with the machine. CD Project are going to do miracles with this machine.

Colbert

Banned
For me, the stand out info is the feedback about dev environment, seems like they're achieving alot without putting in equal amount of effort. Bodes well for future games as devs become more experienced with the machine. CD Project are going to do miracles with this machine.

Can't wait for impressions on the enhanced version of the The Witcher 3.

Metfanant

Impressive results here...def going to see some significantly better looking games on the X!

One quote struck me though...

that's a comparison point we really didn't expect to see. After all, this represents is a 2x increase in the native rendering resolution between Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, from hardware with a 43 per cent increase in compute power and a 50 per cent uplift in memory bandwidth.

Interesting point when taken by itself, without any context...but the quote suggests that MS is somehow providing twice the performance, from hardware that isn't twice as powerful, like it's some kind of mystery...But that's not the case...

What it does show is that the X is much closer to a "true" 4k machine, and that the Pro could get much closer than halfway there, but that checkerboarding provides better (or maybe easier?) results than some mid range resolution + upscale

No idea why this stuck out to me, but I was surprised they worded it the way they did

katsais

Probably the same ignorant forum posters who shit on Bungie for 30fps on console aka people that should be ignored

Two completely different issues. GoW4 is already made...Destiny 2 is supposed to be a brand new game. Bungie deserves the grief (just as the lack of dedicated servers, new netcode, etc).

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, XBX is looking super good. Hype level rising.

'This generation'

Shit has been going on for a while now. The amount people care about resolution directly coincides with how much power their favorite console has. Basically, fanboys are pathetic.

That thread is mindblowing. Here's an actual massive difference in image quality, noticeable everywhere across the entire game... and here's an entire thread of people in denial about it. It's hard to believe that that's the same forum Grassgate happened on.

rokkerkory

This is the Xbox I know from ages past, glad to see it back.

Really excited as this is just the beginning! No doubt future games will see even more improvements!

Metfanant

This is the Xbox I know from ages past, glad to see it back.

Let me play devil's advocate for a second...

Releasing a more powerful, more expensive console a year after it's competition? That's the Xbox you remember from ages past?

The console is freaking awesome, don't get me wrong, and I understand getting hyped for new hardware but let's slow our roll about MS for a little

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
Fucking love it. I hope this thread stays positive
Don't you know every Xbox thread is an NPD thread? It literally cannot go well.

I'd like to get more details on Quantum Break. There's a couple of ways to do it and both would be fine.

Trago

Let me play devil's advocate for a second...

Releasing a more powerful, more expensive console a year after it's competition? That's the Xbox you remember from ages past?

I think the idea of Xbox having the better multiplats is what he means.

leeh

LMAO...I actually just did that after reading your post. My Gamestop already said they are doing a Mid-Night launch, so I am going to work on Monday and take Tuesday/Wednesday off. The new Xbox One dashboard update that is coming is going to allow you to "opt in" and download Xbox One X patches (depending on whats available) to your HDD...so I am hoping that most enhanced titles will have them up early so come launch day it is just plugging the system up to my set up, plugging the HDD in and be off and running.
Ive just booked a week off next week for the bank holiday week and I'm thinking, I could of just held on that little bit longer and booked a huge slab of time and splurged more than Randy when he gets back on the internet.

That thread is mindblowing. Here's an actual massive difference in image quality, noticeable everywhere across the entire game... and here's an entire thread of people in denial about it. It's hard to believe that that's the same forum Grassgate happened on.
Don't worry about them. Just enjoy the eye candy. People can deny it all they want. There is a significant power gap between PS4 Pro and the Xbox One X. They can try and downplay it all they want.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I have been considering buying one console to complement my PC, and now I have to add the XB1X in consideration alongside the PS4 Pro and the Switch. Yes, the overlap between Xbox and PC is nearly 100%, but being able to play games on my couch in 4K is tempting.

Hawk269

So, secret sauce... Ok, I guess some people never learn.

Also a 1.8 tf pc gpu certainly could do the same. Better even since most gaming good aren't paired with a low powered and gpu.

Learn to read. I specifically said "Not suggesting that this will be the case here, but it should be interesting.". Reading comprehension is sadly diminishing for some.

Metfanant

Don't worry about them. Just enjoy the eye candy. People can deny it all they want. There is a significant power gap between PS4 Pro and the Xbox One X. They can try and downplay it all they want.

Why are you shocked? Xbox fans have been downplaying power difference and resolution for the past 4 years...now that Xbox fans have the better console they will play up the power differences, and it will be PS fans turn to downplay...don't make this out to be some sort of Sony fan or GAF phenomenon...it's just simple fanboy logic from both sides of the aisle

Interesting point when taken by itself, without any context...but the quote suggests that MS is somehow providing twice the performance, from hardware that isn't twice as powerful, like it's some kind of mystery...But that's not the case...

What it does show is that the X is much closer to a "true" 4k machine, and that the Pro could get much closer than halfway there, but that checkerboarding provides better (or maybe easier?) results than some mid range resolution + upscale
Note that the Pro came in at $100 cheaper and a year earlier. As for trade-offs, I predict the Pro's approach will turn out to be better. This is mostly due to these premium console being mid-gen replacements and not the flagships of a new gen. The XB1X is going to be squeezed on two sides. First it has to make up a year's worth of lost sales. On the other, it will face competition from the PS5 which I suspect will be announced early 2019. That will be only a little more than a year after the XB1X is released. This is why Microsoft will downplay console generations while Sony will play them up.

Top Bottom