• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Hands-on with 10 Xbox One X games that show us what it's really capable of

This is proving that when a lot of effort is put into design and clever thinking, a console is actually able to punch above its weight; cause let's be honest the base PS4 and XB1 do not, and match a PC's equivalent spec.

The push for native 4K is going to hold back the XB1X. The improvements over checkerboarding aren't worth the processing requirements which could be better used elsewhere. Unfortunately, marketing and the need need for all games to run on the base XB1 means the resolution bump is where the focus will be. Going forward expect to see a lot of blown up still images trying to point out the resolution differences with checkerboarding that would be barely noticeable during normal gameplay unless you were specifically looking for them.

JoeLT

Who in his serious mind expected that?
The majority of the Gears of War community, even if it's at a lower resolution of checkerboarding. Having the multiplayer at 60fps and then Horde at 30fps isn't a great experience. Yeah yeah jaguar is trash, but with how well the game holds 30fps on base Xbox One and with how even a full mutliplayer match of AI doesn't drop below 60fps. I wouldn't be surprised if the One X could do it. Just not at native 4K, but if they weren't going for native 4K a lot of people here would have a meltdown about Microsoft lying about 4K. So here we are.

cakely

Between the the performance increases and the vertical stand (dumb, I know) I'm really tempted to pre-order an X1X when the non "Scorpio edition" is available. I really don't like that green text.

The push for native 4K is going to hold back the XB1X. The improvements over checkerboarding aren't worth the processing requirements which could be better used elsewhere. Unfortunately, marketing and the need need for all games to run on the base XB1 means the resolution bump is where the focus will be. Going forward expect to see a lot of blown up still images trying to point out the resolution differences that would be barely noticeable during normal game unless you were specifically looking for them.

I don't want to be labelled a Debbie Downer, but I kinda feel this way, too. Maybe it won't be the case, but I can already picture the Digital Foundry videos zooming in, like, 200% just to show you the softer edges of the pixels in different versions of the exact same game.

For the record, I also thought there was a LOT of hair splitting going on between the OG Xbox One and PS4 versions of games. Alas.

I just knew the real world returns on this thing would very likely turn out to be pretty incredible. And they're achieving all of this in a $500 package. Say what you will about Microsoft, but they've clearly planned the introduction of this console extremely well.

It looks to be meeting the expected high level of performance easily.

That's badass! If I didn't already own a Pro and a 1080 in my PC, I'd for sure pick one up. Maybe if my employment situation gets better (currently doing contract engineering work 2 days a week).
I originally wasn't going to even get a Pro, but then my PS4 broke so I caved. I gotta say that the increased clarity of even checkerboarded 4k really makes a difference on my 70" screen, so it's exciting to hear that the X is capable of native 4k.

c0de

The push for native 4K is going to hold back the XB1X. The improvements over checkerboarding aren't worth the processing requirements which could be better used elsewhere. Unfortunately, marketing and the need need for all games to run on the base XB1 means the resolution bump is where the focus will be. Going forward expect to see a lot of blown up still images trying to point out the resolution differences with checkerboarding that would be barely noticeable during normal gameplay unless you were specifically looking for them.

So when we won't ever see a native resolution anymore, you'd be fine? I mean if the difference is really that small, it will be even less noticable with even higher resolution and evolved tech in cb and the more pixels you cb from.

What has this to do with this thread? Or you Just want to mention something negative because you cant have Xbox have One positive Thing?

I'm all for positivity, but if something was said isn't true then it should be corrected. That's what he did unless I missed something?

JoeLT

Yep, I would much much rather see checkerboard 4K with better graphics than native 4K. Microsoft shot themselves in the foot with their marketing as people were already getting their pitchforks when some games were being announced as checkerboard instead of 4K.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
MS seem to have done a good job with the technology afforded to them a year later and a hundred dollar more price tag. I think this was necessary for them, but that doesn't stop me from being impressed at the results so far regardless of my interest in the device itself

this bodes well for results in the future

see5harp

They got Quantum Break to native 4K? Impressive, wasn't that 720p on OG?

It's using some weird process like killzone. It's not rendering all frames at the same time so its like some interpolation method. I thought the original release still looked good despite this so I'm sure it'll look good.

Be still my beating heart.....

Just like Sony, Microsoft has left the door open to developers to do what they want with the hardware, but certainly based on the titles we've seen so far, the delineation between the two models looks far more clear cut - Xbox One X is the console for your 4K screen, and anything else in addition to that (like Tomb Raider's multiple rendering modes) is a bonus.

theWB27

Yep, I would much much rather see checkerboard 4K with better graphics than native 4K. Microsoft shot themselves in the foot with their marketing as people were already getting their pitchforks when some games were being announced as checkerboard instead of 4K.

Microsoft didn't do anything to people who chose to ignore that they've always said they're leaving the gains afforded with this upgrade up to the devs. I don't understand why people don't include that information when they want to rain on the parade.

Dabanton

And it's that consistency in results - from the games we've seen thus far, at least - that is heartening. With every new PlayStation 4 Pro game that comes along, there's a sense of the unknown about what enhancements are actually going to manifest, and the extent to which an investment in a 4K screen actually pays off.

This is what's most frustrating about the Pro. Finding information on what enhancements games had was so ridiculous.

If I'm having to come onto Neogaf to see what enhancements a pro version of a game has if any, someone at Sony has quite frankly, fucked up. They have slightly improved it a bit now, but Sony really half assed the initial Pro selling points.

Looks like MS and third parties enhancing their games for X1X are making it very clear what enhancements each of it's games are getting.

So when we won't ever see a native resolution anymore, you'd be fine? I mean if the difference is really that small, it will be even less noticable with even higher resolution and evolved tech in cb and the more pixels you cb from.

That is 100% correct. Going forward resolution upgrades are going to be more for marketing than any real difference. See the useless 4K phones for a look to the future of this marketing trend.

The majority of the Gears of War community, even if it's at a lower resolution of checkerboarding. Having the multiplayer at 60fps and then Horde at 30fps isn't a great experience. Yeah yeah jaguar is trash, but with how well the game holds 30fps on base Xbox One and with how even a full mutliplayer match of AI doesn't drop below 60fps. I wouldn't be surprised if the One X could do it. Just not at native 4K, but if they weren't going for native 4K a lot of people here would have a meltdown about Microsoft lying about 4K. So here we are.

Many devs don't appear to be falling into that trap thus far from the looks of things. They are upgrading their games in ways that make sense.to them and are getting pretty impressive returns from the appearance and sound of things.

So far to me it appears like devs that are choosing to go 4K are getting their comfortably while still enhancing many other aspects of their game for the system, which is fantastic.

RedRum

Banned

But... why is it MS' fault for giving devs the tools to do what they want with their hardware??

Isn't this a choice for developers and not MS??

I can't really justify purchasing this at launch. I bought an Xbox One S in December of last year and I have a Pro, but articles like these are making it tempting as heck. I'm also one of those people that have to buy new consoles whenever they release. I don't know if I can resist when I see this thing in shelves lol..

JoeLT

But... why is it MS' fault for giving devs the tools to do what they want with their hardware??

Isn't this a choice for developers and not MS??
Choosing to market it as "True 4K" was a mistake, it's just so easy for fanboys and haters to latch onto whenever a game isn't running native.

Definitely the definitive console for 4k gaming with multiplatform gaming, and seems like as of now Forza 7 is the console's showpiece game. As a 1080p owner, the Pro is doing fine for me, given that it generally cleans up the image sufficiently. I am waiting until the next gen of consoles for a proper big bump, but am interested to see if the Xbox X version of Anthem can match the target gameplay - and what the other versions of the game look like.

Amneisac

Definitely the definitive console for 4k gaming with multiplatform gaming, and seems like as of now Forza 7 is the console's showpiece game. As a 1080p owner, the Pro is doing fine for me, given that it generally cleans up the image sufficiently. I am waiting until the next gen of consoles for a proper big bump, but am interested to see if the Xbox X version of Anthem can match the target gameplay - and what the other versions of the game look like.

The only problem with Pro is the widespread lack of down sampling support. Perhaps Xbox One X will help as more games are getting patched for that, hopefully it will improve Pro support for 1080p users.

Gestault

Choosing to market it as "True 4K" was a mistake, it's just so easy for fanboys and haters to latch onto whenever a game isn't running native.

They very reasonably needed to differentiate their system from another that was marketing based on 4K support. Theirs is markedly more capable of 4K for games, and features 4K game-DVR features and an actual UHD 4K drive for blurays. "True 4K" is as simple a distinction as they could make.

There's demanding clarification, and there's being pedantic.

That is 100% correct. Going forward resolution upgrades are going to be more for marketing than any real difference. See the useless 4K phones for a look to the future of this marketing trend.

Also all the people freaking out about resolution differences since the beginning of this generation.

They very reasonably needed to differentiate their system from another that was marketing based on 4K support. Theirs is markedly more capable of 4K for games, and features 4K game-DVR features and an actual UHD 4K drive for blurays. "True 4K" is as simple a distinction as they could make.

There's demanding clarification, and there's being pedantic.
Agreed.

Dabanton

The simplicity of development likely explains the consistency in results we saw across titles regardless of the source material. The scaling here is essentially in line with Microsoft's messaging, not to mention its internal early hardware benchmarks

This is music to my ears, make these kind of enhancements easy for devs to implement without stressing and reap the results.

MS doing that work with testing out and pushing multiple game engines looks like it's going to be very wise going forward.

Top Bottom