• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Horizon is a technical masterpiece on PS4 and Pro

reKon

Banned
One good game finally and we're giving them that title?

Let them create a streak first.

Graphically I agree with you, though.

Killzone 2 and 3 were legitimately good games. KZ3 was one of the best co-op games on the system believe it or not. Gun play was great and the campaign was paced tightly.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Haha what?

GG made Killzone 2. One of the best shooters ever made.

They also made Killzone 3, a great game as well though it didn't reach the same heights.

Shadowfall was a rushed launch title, but still had some great elements, and the multiplayer was fantastic and set a precedent for amazing post launch support.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Lol, people think KZ 2 and 3's issues were from the actual gameplay? They were from the stupid as fuck and idiotic black and white 'plot' between the ISA and the helgast and the dumb as nails bald space marine dialogue that showed that dutch people don't understand how dudebro americans sound

cordy

Banned
Man...I really gotta ask...

Should I get a Pro? I already have a base PS4 but my tv, I'm still using a Sony Bravio 40 inch from 2008. I plan on getting a new tv and all this year.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's for this reason that I also found Uncharted 4 to be a more pleasing game from a visual perspective than almost anything I've played on my PC. Resolution might be abit lower than it would be if I was running at native 1440p, but in terms of visual effects, there's not much on PC which can surpass it.
Keep in mind that UC4 is actually 1440p if you play it on PS4Pro (and still keeps the same awesome temporal AA, for an even sharper image quality)

Electret

I mean, disregarding things like vegetation distance, shadow quality, ao quality, or subjective ideas about art or hair rendering, I think it is pretty safe to say that Horizon Zero Dawn looks better than The Witcher 3.

The materials and post processing are quite a bit better. It also has volumetric shadows, those clouds, and (seemingly) lit valley fog.

You would hope things like that would be better though given the years between the game releases and the fac thtat one has the luxury of targetting one single piece of hardware.

Agreed. I find TW3 to be at its graphical worst where the lighting combines with the vegetation assets; both are often of fairly low complexity and combine to produce a somewhat ugly results. TW3's graphical prowess relies more on sheer scope and macro-level detail.

AtkO

Keep in mind that UC4 is actually 1440p if you play it on PS4Pro (and still keeps the same awesome temporal AA, for an even sharper image quality)

Wait am I missing something here? UC4 is 1440p no checkerboard and this is 2160p checkerboard?

AtkO

Hm I see, so the PS4 is capable of 1440p with UC4 graphics, 2160p with checkerboard with these graphics... and then we have a - let's say - barely functional Fallout 4 at 1080p with textures that or sooo far from... from life... Some developpers really have no excuse for their games running so poorly after this game. I don't know the budget GG had but this is a goddamn masterpiece. I don't care if they all take 1 more year to complete their games, I prefer this level of quality over some beta testing build.

Edit : my point wasn't very clear now that I think about it. I meant that, if you were to upgrade or upscale the graphics of Fallout 4, it would still look like shit. You can take UC4 and Horizon graphics and get them to run at higher resolutions and they look stunning. You scale them down and it's still gorgeous.

Fezan

Really liking what I am seeing here.

Regarding Witcher 3 one thing I hated about its presentation was how vegetation looked like 2d stripes even on PC. This was the biggest downgrade for me from the initial reveal. Horizon on the other hand has much better natural looking vegetation and lighting

Haha what?

GG made Killzone 2. One of the best shooters ever made.

They also made Killzone 3, a great game as well though it didn't reach the same heights.

Shadowfall was a rushed launch title, but still had some great elements, and the multiplayer was fantastic and set a precedent for amazing post launch support.
yeesh I hate it when people forget this. maybe do some damn research before parroting what other say. Anyway I would add liberation and mercenary to the mix too

I'm very happy that an open world game managed to hit solid values in term of performance with all those effects.

I still think that performance should be the king.

Now i really wonder what's the deal with that damn house ?

Speely

Banned
It's great to see a high-profile dev delivering like this. Horizon is scary beautiful. It's pretty much raising the bar.

Edit: both technically and aesthetically. There is a ton of great art direction going on here.

Lol, people think KZ 2 and 3's issues were from the actual gameplay? They were from the stupid as fuck and idiotic black and white 'plot' between the ISA and the helgast and the dumb as nails bald space marine dialogue that showed that dutch people don't understand how dudebro americans sound

Yeah, more Lundgren than Stalone.

There's a female love interest in the cutscenes of KZ3 who never shows up in the actual game. KZ2 was more focused and more brutally bleak environment that's probably more like WW2 than any WW2 game. I think that trajectory where the miserable conditions and enemy reveals are the "story" worked better. More like DOOM actually.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
This is the *ONE* game that I will wait for until I upgrade to a 4K hdr enabled tv and PS4 Pro. I will not buy the standard version for my OG unit. I can wait.

That said, amazing work by Guerilla Games on making sure performance and graphics look incredible on both original and Pro PS4s.

Crayon

It's great to see a high-profile dev delivering like this. Horizon is scary beautiful. It's pretty much raising the bar.

Edit: both technically and aesthetically. There is a ton of great art direction going on here.

After looking more closely I'm going to go with a raised bar. This is the most impressive game. Think about what gpu this would run on on a pc. Something like a 750ti, probably. It's crazy.

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
Hm I see, so the PS4 is capable of 1440p with UC4 graphics, 2160p with checkerboard with these graphics... and then we have a - let's say - barely functional Fallout 4 at 1080p with textures that or sooo far from... from life... Some developpers really have no excuse for their games running so poorly after this game. I don't know the budget GG had but this is a goddamn masterpiece. I don't care if they all take 1 more year to complete their games, I prefer this level of quality over some beta testing build.

Edit : my point wasn't very clear now that I think about it. I meant that, if you were to upgrade or upscale the graphics of Fallout 4, it would still look like shit. You can take UC4 and Horizon graphics and get them to run at higher resolutions and they look stunning. You scale them down and it's still gorgeous.

Fallout 4 engine is quite old now. I'll say the time factor is relevant here.

BeeDog

Bethesda should try license the engine for the next Elder Scrolls.

Doubt Bethesda will move away from the Gamebryo engine. Despite its severe drawbacks, it's a very flexible engine with solid state handling (i.e. objects/AI/etc. in the game world) and decent tools for handling links and triggers. The way they approach games, I honestly believe they would have a very hard time finding a good replacement engine, despite Gamebryo being ancient when compared to newer engines.

Doubt Bethesda will move away from the Gamebryo engine. Despite its severe drawbacks, it's a very flexible engine with solid state handling (i.e. objects/AI/etc. in the game world) and decent tools for handling links and triggers. The way they approach games, I honestly believe they would have a very hard time finding a good replacement engine, despite Gamebryo being ancient when compared to newer engines.

Personally, I don't feel the benefits justify the drawbacks. Interacting with all sorts of junk isn't all that riveting after the first few hours. I actually think Fallout 4 looks decent visually, but obviously far behind something like this or Witcher 3. And peformance isn't very impressive.

Zen Aku

I'm not the type of person to go crazy for graphic but I do appreciate the work that was put into this game in term of performance.

Can't wait to play this game. Great job GG.

If this game looks so good, what was the deal with that one quest video that floated around before release? The animations looked terrible, and the character models were not that great either.

Edit: Is it just me, or does the video seem to judder a lot? They're saying that the framerate is consistent, but for some reason, the animation looks funny while I'm watching the video. Hard to explain, other than it just seems like there's jarring movement on the walk/run animation.

Cartho

If this game looks so good, what was the deal with that one quest video that floated around before release? The animations looked terrible, and the character models were not that great either.

Maybe it was from an unfinished, early build which had not been polished like the final release?

Judder is more likely down to the video. DF's initial analysis suggests a pretty much rock solid frame rate, with only very occasional dips of 1 FPS or so and perfect frame pacing.

MaxiLive

IO just checked out the performance video.

Wowzers that is very impressive for an open world game and with the graphical effects on show. I don't think I've seen an open world game with that consistent of a framerate and pacing in a long while!

Peterthumpa

It would be great if developers could add a 1080p checkerboarded option at 60 FPS on the Pro. It would be doable in theory, right? Not sure if IQ would scale up so well though.

All round this is a top, top game. Sony were right to give GG so much funding and support as this game is a big-time pay-off.

With reviews and graphics like it has, it's gonna slowly drive Pro sales for the next year at least.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It would be great if developers could add a 1080p checkerboarded option at 60 FPS on the Pro. It would be doable in theory, right? Not sure if IQ would scale up so well though.
They are adding a performance mode on day 1.

I suspect it'll be 1080p and operate with an uncapped frame-rate but we'll see.

Peterthumpa

Yup, but what I meant is actually a 720p frame buffer upscaled to 1080p checkerboarded, probably basically guaranteeing 60 FPS locked. In theory?

In fact, if there's no noticeable IQ hit, I wonder why no developer tried something similar yet, afaik.

KKRT00

Personally, I don't feel the benefits justify the drawbacks. Interacting with all sorts of junk isn't all that riveting after the first few hours. I actually think Fallout 4 looks decent visually, but obviously far behind something like this or Witcher 3. And peformance isn't very impressive.

Interacting with everything and tracking everything is why those games are as sandbox as they are.
There are no other games like it.
They are also moddable as fuck, which is really great advantage of gamebryo.

Of course i would also want new engine for Bethesda games, but without severely limiting the modding scene and persistence.

Interesting. IIRC, they've been saying that the open world streaming engine is built for 30fps. I wonder if Kojima Productions helped them experiment with higher framerate for Death Stranding.

bitbydeath

And say goodbye to the detailed itemizations and established AI? That wouldn't be Elder Scrolls anymore.

Why say goodbye to detailed itemisations? I'm not saying they should make a Horizon clone.

Not sure how to answer the established AI part, maybe a sensible chuckle.

Raylan

Banned

They had several good&great games. Killzone 2 alone has an average score of 91% and is beloved by many. Killzone Shadow Fall, which was medicore, was a rush job because it had to be ready for the PS4 launch. Long story short, GG is a damn good studio.

Planet

a 720p frame buffer upscaled to 1080p checkerboarded
It doesn't work that way, checkerboard rendering is not an upscaling method.

You surely could render a 1080p image checkerboarded, then you would still create a 1920 x 1080 pixel frame buffer, but only render half of the pixels (in a checkerboard pattern). The other half is then filled cleverly using adjusted data from previous rendering pass(es) and neighbor pixels. Next image, you alternate the pattern to better utilize historical information.

But I don't think this helps with the pro, checkerboard rendering is a method to reduce GPU and memory bandwith load while achieving something pretty close to the real deal. At 1080p, the Pro is perfectly capable of doing it completely native, while the CPU still might struggle to set up the scenario at 60 FPS.

Top Bottom