• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Horizon is a technical masterpiece on PS4 and Pro

Razgreez

Perhaps that peculiar house is haunted by the ghosts of framerates past and the rendering of their numerous entirely translucent transparencies are taking a knock on the framerate.

After all just because you can't see them doesn't mean they don’t exist aren't affecting the framerate

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Is it the best open world graphics then? I'm surprised at how robust the frame rate generally is and it looks super good.

k70Qr7F.jpg

I'll just leave this here. <3

Anarion07

Saw the video. So glad to hear it has great performance! Doesn't look as good as The Witcher 3, at least from the limited video media, but The Witcher 3 hardly exhibits this level of performance consistency too, so yeah. Also good luck running it fluidly at 4k.

I'll have to pick up HZD soon

You should head to eurogamer for some nice videos

VanWinkle

Saw the video. So glad to hear it has great performance! Doesn't look as good as The Witcher 3, at least from the limited video media, but The Witcher 3 hardly exhibits this level of performance consistency too, so yeah. Also good luck running it fluidly at 4k.

Doesn't look as good as Witcher 3? You're literally the first person I've ever seen say that. I don't agree at all.

Why is it that Guerilla Games has such a good handle on game engines? They're basically a relatively new studio from Holland. Is it the quality of the engineers?

There studio has been around a while, it hasn't suffered from huge set backs or shake ups like many studios have, and being first party they get to focus on maximizing the Sony hardware. They already have shown to be proficient at what they do, so if anyone is gonna push the envelope on Sony hardware, it's going to always be them.

Fbh

As The Witcher 3 on PC running at 4K?
Sure

But IMO it definitely looks better than The Witcher 3 on Ps4

reKon

Banned

Haha, this definitely looks better than Witcher 3 from a visual and technical standpoint. Maybe even almost like what Witcher 3 should have looked like before the downgrade.

The game looks super incredible, that's for sure.
Wonder why they didn't bring more life / physics, into the water and foliage (almost zero reaction with the character).
Would it impact the performance too much?

Still, pure jaw dropping here.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
GG have been graphical powerhouses since KZ2 atleast

KZ1 was severely compromised to work on ps2 to the point where it was barely a functioning game full of bugs glitches, severe fps drops(it never stays at 30, hell even 25), it was only on PS3 could you even play it with a semi stable FPS

Sure

in terms of assets the game hasn't changed much from ps4 to PC outside of draw distance and smaller refinements. I'd def say Horizon looks better than Witcher 3 in general even on the highest settings on PC, but that would make sense, being a game that doesn't have to tailor to a large amount of hardware configurations to stay in a state where it can be shipped

people cry about downgrades for bigger multiplats but when your working with a whole bunch of different SKUs, its almost something you have to expect during development.

Sure

Playing the Witcher 3 at 1440p on my PC at Ultra settings and it is stunning but I think Horizon looks a little better still. I think Horizon's art style really helps it look so awesome and the Decima engine can really push out some amazing graphics, plus Horizon being a brand new game helps too, while Witcher 3 is nearly 2 years old now !

Will be interesting to see Witcher 3 4k shots vs Horizon 4k checkerboard shots.

Zen Aku

It also help that Horizon only has to worry about being optimized for 1 system while the Witcher 3 being optimized for 3.

I think CDPR did a phenomenal job if we're still using the Witcher 3 as a benchmark in graphic quality 2 years later, especially since they're a smaller developer team.

I can't wait to dive into HZD, I wonder how amazing CDPR new Cyberpunk game will look.

ISee

It also help that Horizon only has to worry about being optimized for 1 system while the Witcher 3 being optimized for 3.

I think CDPR did a phenomenal job if we're still using the Witcher 3 as a benchmark in graphic quality 2 years later, especially since they're a smaller developer team.

I can't wait to dive into HZD, I wonder how amazing CDPR new Cyberpunk game will look.

I agree. Witcher 3 scales very well across different pc hardware, the cpu multithreading is very good and it even runs very well on consoles.
Then there is the new id tech 6 which managed to give us amazing visuals on consoles at 60fps and even better visuals and framerates on pc (also scales extremely well on PC hardware) and last but not least the frostbite engine, which is also able to produce stunning visuals on all platforms.
Overall I feel like there are many great and very well optimized engines out there, not just from first party devs but also from third party devs.

I agree. Witcher 3 scales very well across different pc hardware, the cpu multithreading is very good and it even runs very well on consoles.
Then there is the new id tech 6 which managed to give us amazing visuals on consoles at 60fps and even better visuals and framerates on pc (also scales extremely well on PC hardware) and last but not least the frostbite engine, which is also able to produce stunning visuals on all platforms.
Overall I feel like there are many great and very well optimized engines out there, not just from first party devs but also from third party devs.
Witcher 3 runs good on consoles? Haha what? The graphics aren't even good and it doesn't come close to holding 30fps.

It's great on PC, but the PS4 version had me questioning why everyone was enjoying such an ugly, poorly controlling game.

ISee

Witcher 3 runs good on consoles? Haha what? The graphics aren't even good and it doesn't come close to holding 30fps.

It's great on PC, but the PS4 version had me questioning why everyone was enjoying such an ugly, poorly controlling game.

Never played it on consoles, but I was under the impression that CDPR was able to greatly increase console performance over time and bring Witcher 3 to a very good level.
DF last look at the witcher 3

As really nice as the game looks, the fact that the Pro version isn't getting a 60FPS option really stings, regardless of how smooth the 30 target is. It's the sort of thing that makes me want to wait until that option becomes available. I can live with 30, I guess, but 60 would be the sort of thing that would seriously tempt me towards trading in my existing PS4 for a Pro to play this game, but I'm gonna wait and see instead.

It really is a crying shame, because I do want to play this game, but the lack of performance options is a massive stumbling block for me.

As really nice as the game looks, the fact that the Pro version isn't getting a 60FPS option really stings, regardless of how smooth the 30 target is. It's the sort of thing that makes me want to wait until that option becomes available. I can live with 30, I guess, but 60 would be the sort of thing that would seriously tempt me towards trading in my existing PS4 for a Pro to play this game, but I'm gonna wait and see instead.

It really is a crying shame, because I do want to play this game, but the lack of performance options is a massive stumbling block for me.

It's never gonna be 60fps.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

It's getting a performance mode but we don't yet know how fast it will actually run. That's coming on day 1.

cackhyena

Lol what a horse shit post. Game looked great on PS4.

I don't know why some people expect open world games on consoles to be 60fps instead of 30fps.

Even if some are , it's an exception not a rule.

I really want to think guerilla can pull off the impossible , but if 30fps was the target during develloppement , i don't think we can expect optimisation to manage to output double the frames while keeping the same overall feel.

I mean Look at ff15 latest patch... Yeah it output 60fps ( while the camera is looking at the ground but never in the other cases )
Optimisation is not a miracle.

Of course , options are always good. If we can have more graphical options i'm all for it but i wouldn't get my hopes up if i were you

It's never gonna be 60fps.

I'm not getting this game for a quite a long time, then. Probably. I might buy this sooner if there's nothing else that catches my eye and I have cash to spare.

I don't know why some people expect open world games on consoles to be 60fps instead of 30fps.

Even if some are , it's an exception not a rule.

I really want to think guerilla can pull off the impossible , but if 30fps was the target during develloppement , i don't think we can expect optimisation to manage to output double the frames while keeping the same overall feel.

I mean Look at ff15 latest patch... Yeah it output 60fps ( while the camera is looking at the ground but never in the other cases )
Optimisation is not a miracle.

Of course , options are always good. If we can have more graphical options i'm all for it but i wouldn't get my hopes up if i were you

PS4 regular I can understand 30FPS, but with 2.25 the amount of power on the PS4 Pro, I'd expect 60 at the same resolution (though, really, I find "hardware horsepower math" to generally be disingenuous if not outright bullshit, when something is "x times amount of power", that rarely results in the same multiplier in graphical output). Hell, I'm fine with framerate dips now and then as long as 60 is the baseline a good amount of the time, or a visual downgrade for a more consistent framerate - I went 60 for The Last of Us Remastered and never went back.

The Witcher 3 is beautiful, Jesus.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

You think Horizon could reach 60fps the way it does? They are putting every ounce of PS4 and Pro into this game already

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm not getting this game for a quite a long time, then. Probably. I might buy this sooner if there's nothing else that catches my eye and I have cash to spare.

PS4 regular I can understand 30FPS, but with 2.25 the amount of power on the PS4 Pro, I'd expect 60 at the same resolution (though, really, I find "hardware horsepower math" to generally be disingenuous if not outright bullshit, when something is "x times amount of power", that rarely results in the same multiplier in graphical output). Hell, I'm fine with framerate dips now and then as long as 60 is the baseline a good amount of the time, or a visual downgrade for a more consistent framerate - I went 60 for The Last of Us Remastered and never went back.

It's not 2.25x the CPU though which is often the gating factor in increasing framerates

Anarion07

Oh come on. At the beginning, yes. But now? It's perfectly fine, just a few minor drops. On the Pro in boost mode it's completely stable, even.

I feel like I'm the only one who isn't impressed with this image when viewed full screen ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

Yep, you are the only one.

You think Horizon could reach 60fps the way it does? They are putting every ounce of PS4 and Pro into this game already

It's not 2.25x the CPU though which is often the gating factor in increasing framerates

So Sony didn't bother to upgrade the one area that the PS4 was extremely deficient in and that devs have even said is a massive bottleneck? That's... Exceptionally short-sighted and stupid. Fuck, even Nintendo upgraded the 3DS' CPU considerably for the New 3DS.

Oh well, they can always fix that for the inevitable PS5 rerelease...
Bloody hell.

Top Bottom