• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did I just screw over the pizza delivery guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I'll repost again incase my edit went unnoticed

Please enlighten me how you would deliver 3 orders all received at once in opposite directions, on time. (It's usally way more than 3 when this happens btw )

That's something you ask your boss. I'm not being cute here. Have you asked your boss what happens in that situation? Do you compensate the customers? Does your boss make up the lost tips in your wages? Do they let you keep any tips you do receive? Should we shorten our route area a bit or hire more help? Should we contact the third order and let them know of the current situation and if they'd like to wait longer or just outright cancel their order?

These are things you would ask on a first day or that should be recorded in a work manual, no?

MazeHaze

Banned
That's something you ask your boss. I'm not being cute here. Have you asked your boss what happens in that situation? Do you compensate the customers? Does your boss make up the lost tips in your wages? Do they let you keep any tips you do receive? Should we shorten our route area a bit or hire more help? Should we contact the third order and let them know of the current situation and if they'd like to wait longer or just outright cancel their order?

These are things you would ask on a first day or that should be recorded in a work manual, no?

Dude, my boss is there when this happens all the time. The route is predetermined based on sales data and profit margins for the business. First thing is to appologize, offer something extra or a meal comp. I do this whenever a delivery is super late. These aren't questions I just never thought about.

Regardless, I'm done arguing with someone who has no idea what the job is like, has no idea what it's like to work in a tip based profession, and thinks employers should take away driver's tips for late deliveries. You have yourself a great day.

Senoculum

Please enlighten me how you would deliver 3 orders all received at once in opposite directions, on time. (It's usally way more than 3 when this happens btw )

Just a thesis.

Maybe they should invest in more accurate wait times on their automated systems. They're always innovating their menu items, so they shouldn't forget to innovate their systems.

Which was the last 'cool pizza chain' anyway?

MazeHaze

Banned
Just a thesis.

Maybe they should invest in more accurate wait times on their automated systems. They're always innovating their menu items, so they shouldn't forget to innovate their systems.

Which was the last 'cool pizza chain' anyway?
And how do you propose they do this? The most accurate way is to base it on the average of the last 3 wait times, it's impossible to compensate for getting bombarded with huge orders first thing in the AM right after you tell someone 30 minutes.

And again, none of that is the driver's fault.

Once again, you don't stiff a waiter because there was a 45 minute wait for a table.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Dude, my boss is there when this happens all the time. The route is predetermined based on sales data and profit margins for the business. First thing is to appologize, offer something extra or a meal comp. I do this whenever a delivery is super late. These aren't questions I just never thought about.

Regardless, I'm done arguing with someone who has no idea what the job is like, has no idea what it's like to work in a tip based profession, and thinks employers should take away driver's tips for late deliveries. You have yourself a great day.

I don't get why you asked me that question then since I guess I responded correctly? I mean if you take on orders you can't handle, you take on the consequences of the customer not being satisfied. One of those might be not receiving a tip, no?

I think you're misunderstanding that my primary argument is from the customer's side, not the business side. I'm discussing why a customer should tip someone for not doing their duty, knowing that the reasons why don't matter to the customer, that's for the business to resolve.

I don't know why you're taking it personally. I haven't attacked you or your job whatsoever, we're discussing a compensation system with flaws for the customer, not the position of delivery person.

Peccavi

And how do you propose they do this? The most accurate way is to base it on the average of the last 3 wait times, it's impossible to compensate for getting bombarded with huge orders first thing in the AM right after you tell someone 30 minutes.

And again, none of that is the driver's fault.

Once again, you don't stiff a waiter because there was a 45 minute wait for a table.

Placing a delivery order isn't waiting for a table, it's sitting at a table and having given the waiter your order. The difference is that if it's a 45 minute wait for a table,I can do business elsewhere that can serve me faster. If there's an hour and a half wait between me giving the waiter my order and me getting my food, I'm not leaving a tip (more likely, I walked out at least half an hour earlier).

And while it might not be the drivers fault, it's definitely not my fault. I didn't order food for an hour and a half later, either give it to me for free or take it back.

MazeHaze

Banned
I don't get why you asked me that question then since I guess I responded correctly? I mean if you take on orders you can't handle, you take on the consequences of the customer not being satisfied. One of those might be not receiving a tip, no?

I think you're misunderstanding that my primary argument is from the customer's side, not the business side. I'm discussing why a customer should tip someone for not doing their duty, knowing that the reasons why don't matter to the customer, that's for the business to resolve.

I don't know why you're taking it personally. I haven't attacked you or your job whatsoever, we're discussing a compensation system with flaws for the customer, not the position of delivery person.
Okay one last response here. A late delivery is by no means a driver "not doing their duty." A delivery time is an estimate, not a guarantee. It's actually illegal in the US to guarantee delivery time, has been for more than a decade, because it encourages speeding and unsafe driving.

A tip is not an "atta boy" it's a flexible service charge. If the driver appologizes and comps the meal, I understand you're frustrated the delivery was late, but to stiff him and say "got too busy huh? Sucks to be you, get less busy next time!" Is asinine.

I'm an expert

Okay one last response here. A late delivery is by no means a driver "not doing their duty." A delivery time is an estimate, not a guarantee. It's actually illegal in the US to guarantee delivery time, has been for more than a decade, because it encourages speeding and unsafe driving.

A tip is not an "atta boy" it's a flexible service charge. If the driver appologizes and comps the meal, I understand you're frustrated the delivery was late, but to stiff him and say "got too busy huh? Sucks to be you, get less busy next time!" Is asinine.

I'm not sure why you don't respond to my points when I respond to yours politely. And a tip is not a service charge. Service charges are properly advertised to the customer at time of purchase.

1. You think the driver in the op deserved a tip when they cited the lateness as a factor of their responsibilities - ie traffic?

2. In your scenario of 3 orders, does the driver not ask their boss what happens if the customer doesn't tip? As in - listen, boss, we got 3 orders here, the third one will probably be late. If they don't tip me, what happens? Do you comp me? If not, should we even take the order since the customer will be unhappy and I won't get paid either way?

MazeHaze

Banned
I'm not sure why you don't respond to my points when I respond to yours politely. And a tip is not a service charge. Service charges are properly advertised to the customer at time of purchase.

1. You think the driver in the op deserved a tip when they cited the lateness as a factor of their responsibilities - ie traffic?

2. In your scenario of 3 orders, does the driver not ask their boss what happens if the customer doesn't tip? As in - listen, boss, we got 3 orders here, the third one will probably be late. If they don't tip me, what happens? Do you comp me? If not, should we even take the order since the customer will be unhappy and I won't get paid either way?

1. Yes he deserved a tip. He did his job, and a tip IS a service fee. A flexible one, that's the whole point. Tips aren't free, we report them and pay taxes on them. A late delivery isn't bad service from the driver necessarily, him appologizing, comping the meal and offering to remake it? That's good service.

2. That's not how a tip based job works. Legally, if you are averaging below min wage, empployer has to pay the difference. This never happens because the majority of people unserstand that a tip is a flexible service charge and tip accordingly, even on late deliveries. Usually when I appologize the response is " oh no problem! Yeah I'm sure you guys are crazy busy! Thank you so much!"

Customers don't tip sometimes, but the majority do, and aren't mad about it.

If nobody tipped, nobody would deliver, because you would be breaking even or losing money after car maintenance and mileage factor in.

I'm an expert

1. Yes he deserved a tip. He did his job, and a tip IS a service fee. A flexible one, that's the whole point. Tips aren't free, we report them and pay taxes on them. A late delivery isn't bad service from the driver necessarily, him appologizing, comping the meal and offering to remake it? That's good service.

2. That's not how a tip based job works. Legally, if you are averaging below min wage, empployer has to pay the difference. This never happens because the majority of people unserstand that a tip is a flexible service charge and tip accordingly, even on late deliveries. Usually when I appologize the response is " oh no problem! Yeah I'm sure you guys are crazy busy! Thank you so much!"

Customers don't tip sometimes, but the majority do, and aren't mad about it.

If nobody tipped, nobody would deliver, because you would be breaking even or losing money after car maintenance and mileage factor in.

So I understand your second point, but in our 3 pizza scenario, you risk your wages basically being exactly minimum wage, right? Meaning if that third pizza never tips and your boss doesn't make it up, you've sort of lost the benefit of the job in the first place - the ability to make significantly above minimum wage during peak times.

My question as the customer would be why did you even waste my time with the order if you knew you couldn't handle it and in the end you'll just throw cold food at me for free and not pay your employee?

For your first point, I'm not seeing how you don't see that the driver is at fault.The driver did not perform his job. His job isn't just to throw shit in a car and get their eventually, it's to get their in a manner of time where the food is of acceptable quality to eat. The driver in the op didn't say they got slammed or their oven broke down, he said traffic was the issue. A driver has to properly plan routes and account for traffic in their delivery time, no? Is that not one of their responsibilities? In this case, the driver failed, and should not be given an "atta boy" form of compensation.

Certain restaurants properly advertise their delivery service charges completely separately from the menu items. Another payment on top of the menu item's price and a designated service charge is what exactly? Also, the driver is not the one comping the food, the business/owner is. The business is taking the hit on the food, but the driver should get separately compensated for what exactly? Shouldn't they get their minimum wage for doing the bare minimum of their responsibilities?

MazeHaze

Banned
So I understand your second point, but in our 3 pizza scenario, you risk your wages basically being exactly minimum wage, right? Meaning if that third pizza never tips and your boss doesn't make it up, you've sort of lost the benefit of the job in the first place - the ability to make significantly above minimum wage during peak times.

My question as the customer would be why did you even waste my time with the order if you knew you couldn't handle it and in the end you'll just throw cold food at me for free and not pay your employee?

For your first point, I'm not seeing how you don't see that the driver is at fault.The driver did not perform his job. His job isn't just to throw shit in a car and get their eventually, it's to get their in a manner of time where the food is of acceptable quality to eat. The driver in the op didn't say they got slammed or their oven broke down, he said traffic was the issue. A driver has to properly plan routes and account for traffic in their delivery time, no? Is that not one of their responsibilities? In this case, the driver failed, and should not be given an "atta boy" form of compensation.

Certain restaurants properly advertise their delivery service charges completely separately from the menu items. Another payment on top of the menu item's price and a designated service charge is what exactly? Also, the driver is not the one comping the food, the business/owner is. The business is taking the hit on the food, but the driver should get separately compensated for what exactly? Shouldn't they get their minimum wage for doing the bare minimum of their responsibilities?

I'm just done. You're displaying a complete lack of understanding, and that's fine I guess.

Whatever, I'm just happy people with your perspective make up an extreme minority of my customer base.

To my fellow pizza people, keep on keepin' on.

ironmang

Do you open the fucking box and stick your finger into the pizza before tipping a delivery driver?

You don't necessarily know the conditions that made the driver take a long time.

My guess would be he probably had to deliver 4 pizzas and the route he decided on had op as the last stop. There probably was some traffic and it did take an hour and a half to deliver to 4 stops.

To boot the pizza was free in this scenario and you wouldn't fucking tip?

It's a dick move, drivers depend on tips as they are getting paid minimum wage.

I wouldn't tip either. If he decides on a route that ends up with me last and ridiculously late then he's not getting rewarded for it. Is he paying for these late pizzas or is the manager/shop?

MazeHaze

Banned
I wouldn't tip either. If he decides on a route that ends up with me last and ridiculously late then he's not getting rewarded for it. Is he paying for these late pizzas or is the manager/shop?
The shop pays. It's illegal to hold an employee monetarily accountable for a late delivery, as mentioned above it encourages speeding and unsafe driving.

I understand your frustration, but in reality he had to plan the route to get him back to the shop the fastest so he can take more deliveries, othwerwise even more orders are late.

Also drivers are usually paid less than minimum wage. In my case, min wage in the store, 5 an hour when I'm on the road. So you can bet your ass I'm trying to deliver as fast as I can.

MazeHaze, you're a saint for lasting as long as you did with that guy.

Some people's whole thing is just to be willfully obtuse, and there's no speaking reason to them. They don't want to understand.

I'm an expert

I'm just done. You're displaying a complete lack of understanding, and that's fine I guess.

Whatever, I'm just happy people with your perspective make up an extreme minority of my customer base.

To my fellow pizza people, keep on keepin' on.

If you responded to my points and wanted to end the convo, that's cool, but that's the second time you put your fingers in your ears so not much I can do. My points stand. Don't tip for shit service.

MazeHaze

Banned
MazeHaze, you're a saint for lasting as long as you did with that guy.

Some people's whole thing is just to be willfully obtuse, and there's no speaking reason to them. They don't want to understand.
Haha thanks.

I guess it's my own fault, I shouldn't expect somebody like that to listen to someone with actual experience in the field and say "huh, you know what, that all makes sense, my bad."

We're all only human :)

ironmang

The shop pays. It's illegal to hold an employee monetarily accountable for a late delivery, as mentioned above it encourages speeding and unsafe driving.

I understand your frustration, but in reality he had to plan the route to get him back to the shop the fastest so he can take more deliveries, othwerwise even more orders are late.

Also drivers are usually paid less than minimum wage. In my case, min wage in the store, 5 an hour when I'm on the road. So you can bet your ass I'm trying to deliver as fast as I can.

Sounds like the shop should hire more drivers. I'd stop ordering there if it was routine for deliveries to be that late. Still wouldn't tip since it's even worse if he plans my stop to be last lol. Let the people with warm pizza cover his tip.

I'm an expert

Haha thanks.

I guess it's my own fault, I shouldn't expect somebody like that to listen to someone with actual experience in the field and say "huh, you know what, that all makes sense, my bad."

We're all only human :)

I was a thai delivery boy and Burger King employee when I first came to America. I've talked about it multiple times when I've participated in similar threads. Sorry your attempt at some weird passive backhand didn't work. Would you like to continue our convo?

MazeHaze

Banned
Sounds like the shop should hire more drivers. I'd stop ordering there if it was routine for deliveries to be that late. Still wouldn't tip since it's even worse if he plans my stop to be last lol. Let the people with warm pizza cover his tip.
It's not routine though, deliveries that late are rare. And it's not as simple as hire more drivers, were constantly hiring, turnover rate is ridiculously high in the food service industry.

And again, in the morning when the shop opens, you can't just have 5 drivers scheduled in case you get uncharacteristically busy, all scheduling is based on sales predictions. PREDICTIONS.

I'm an expert

Guess not. Not sure what the fact I've worked in the industry, though was not raised in the culture, has to do with me making a point from the consumer's perspective. Which is why it's irrelevant in the first place.

ironmang

It's not routine though, deliveries that late are rare. And it's not as simple as hire more drivers, were constantly hiring, turnover rate is ridiculously high in the food service industry.

And again, in the morning when the shop opens, you can't just have 5 drivers scheduled in case you get uncharacteristically busy, all scheduling is based on sales predictions. PREDICTIONS.

I don't know why a driver would even expect a tip at that point. I should be notified when I place my order that it's busy and it may take 1.5 hours or more to get my food so I can decide if I want to go somewhere else. Especially if I was that close. Not even being presented with the option of picking it up instead of waiting for over an hour for cold pizza? No way in hell I'd leave a tip lol.

If it's so rare then it shouldn't matter if they don't get a tip.

I'm an expert

I don't know why a driver would even expect a tip at that point. I should be notified when I place my order that it's busy and it may take 1.5 hours or more to get my food so I can decide if I want to go somewhere else. Especially if I was that close. Not even being presented with the option of picking it up instead of waiting for over an hour for cold pizza? No way in hell I'd leave a tip lol.

This is exactly the point I keep bringing up in the 3 pizza scenario.

Calvero

Banned
i had a pizza delivery that never came. canceled the order once it hit 3 hours. i was so sad. i just wanted to eat some pizza. lady on the phone just clicked on me too once she heard me mutter the word "cancel"

MazeHaze

Banned

If it's so rare then it shouldn't matter if they don't get a tip.

It really doesn't matter if you refuse to tip, other tips will make up for it. Just know that you are stiffing a driver based on things he has no control of.

Again as I pointed out above, I absolutely will inform you if it's a 2 hour wait time, but if a new guy is answering phones( and this happens all the time, ive workes with over 50 people in the last 3 years, at a shop that employs 16) and quotes the computers estimate, first thing im the AM it will be 30 min estimate, because the quote is based on the average time of the last 3 orders. Online orders quote the same.

I also alwaya point out that a pickup will take max 20 minutes.

You did nothing wrong. The manager made it free, the delivery guy got a good tip. Sucks that you had to reheat the pizza, but if I got cold pizza for free I'd gladly do the work.

MazeHaze

Banned
You did nothing wrong. The manager made it free, the delivery guy got a good tip. Sucks that you had to reheat the pizza, but if I got cold pizza for free I'd gladly do the work.

Qft. And I'm sure they would even make 4 more and send them out to you immediately hot and fresh if you asked.

But " lazy drivers not doing their duty"

/s

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

No it's shit management. I say this as I've worked pizza before in my life, and I have a relative who runs the most successful single Dominos restaurant in the country. It's shit management.

MazeHaze

Banned
No it's shit management. I say this as I've worked pizza before in my life, and I have a relative who runs the most successful single Dominos restaurant in the country. It's shit management.

I work at the number one store in our region, at one of the big 3 pizza chains and I disagree.

ironmang

It really doesn't matter if you refuse to tip, other tips will make up for it. Just know that you are stiffing a driver based on things he has no control of.

Again as I pointed out above, I absolutely will inform you if it's a 2 hour wait time, but if a new guy is answering phones( and this happens all the time, ive workes with over 50 people in the last 3 years, at a shop that employs 16) and quotes the computers estimate, first thing im the AM it will be 30 min estimate, because the quote is based on the average time of the last 3 orders. Online orders quote the same.

I also alwaya point out that a pickup will take max 20 minutes.

Is the driver not allowed or able to call me letting me know I drew the short straw in his trip planner? So I can just pick it up at the shop instead of us both losing when I get cold pizza and he gets no tip. Or does he take a "sucks to be them" attitude, very similar to the one I'd have when I don't hand them a tip?

I'm an expert

Now my fellow delivery brethren ignoring me I guess. But I thought he worked at a mom and pop, not a mainstream chain. Doesn't really have the industry knowledge of actually grinding it in a store that isn't an industrialized, factory line. Ah well. ;(

If they hadn't gotten in early enough to heat the ovens to operating temperature by the time the doors are open, then they're not doing their job properly.

That honestly sounds like the likely culprit. OP orders pizza first thing as the shop opens, but either the employees are strolling in late or procrastinated with actually prepping the kitchen.

xJavonta

Banned
Again. There's a big chance the delay had nothing to do with the driver.
As someone who worked in the service industry and survived off tips, that doesn't matter. If you take too long on a delivery, don't expect a tip.

Also, if you're going to take a while on a delivery, fucking call. They call me when they're downstairs all pissy, call me if you're gonna be a while

digdug2k

The delivery guy is probably fine. If the delivery guy was fired every time someone called to complain about the delivery guy, there'd be no delivery guys left in the US. People bitch all the time. Managers (who were and probably still are delivery drivers) pretty quickly learn to be nice to you on the phone, give you a free pie if you want (it costs them basically nothing), and then bitch about you when they hang up. Its more likely he spit on your pizza than that the delivery guy was fired.

Symphonia

Banned
Why didn't you just walk there
It takes two minutes to put your shoes on, two minutes to pee before you go, a minute to get downstairs and outside, fifteen minutes to get there - and that's not counting any stops you have to make at traffic lights, etc - and a minute to stop and ogle at the pretty ladies. Plus there's the walk back.

It can end up being 30 minutes.

Nope. They fucked up, so you have a right to complain. If they have a delivery time guarantee and blew right past it, then by all means use it to get free pizza.

Pretty simple, the second and third orders would be given increased delivery time estimates when they order, so while it would take longer the customer knows this from the start, thus it isn't late.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've worked tons of tip jobs, including delivery, and would NOT expect a tip on hour late cold pizza. That is on you at some level. Usually it happens because of prioritizing big money customers during rush so the loss was no big deal.

MVP

Banned
You've basically changed the whole course of his life going forward, he'll now get fired and live in poverty for a while, he may now not come across the woman who was going to be the love of his life and the mother of his kids, he won't come across that burning wreck where he was going to save a family from tragedy, or you've pushed him into a parallel timeline where now he will get into a freak accident in a few weeks.

All that being said, you didn't get to stuff your face with pizza fast enough, and fair is fair.

Bubba T

I work at the number one store in our region, at one of the big 3 pizza chains and I disagree.

I once picked up a pizza from a store that had a best customer service award framed and hanged on their window, and I agree with the guy you quoted.

I've worked tons of tip jobs, including delivery, and would NOT expect a tip on hour late cold pizza. That is on you at some level. Usually it happens because of prioritizing big money customers during rush so the loss was no big deal.

Tip jobs are the worst. I feel the same as you. Been there, have good friends who did that same job, and I wouldn't expect a tip. I'm about the only person I know in that position that understands that (as rude as it may be) tipping is NOT mandatory.

If I don't make the customer happy enough that they want to spend more than what their bill says, then they have no obligation to nor should I resent them or feel entitled to it. It is not the customers job to take care of me, it's my businesses job. Does that introduce chaos variables and uncertainty with a tip based job? Yes, but I accepted that reality when I accepted the job.

Tip jobs are the worst. I feel the same as you. Been there, have good friends who did that same job, and I wouldn't expect a tip. I'm about the only person I know in that position that understands that (as rude as it may be) tipping is NOT mandatory.

If I don't make the customer happy enough that they want to spend more than what their bill says, then they have no obligation to nor should I resent them or feel entitled to it. It is not the customers job to take care of me, it's my businesses job. Does that introduce chaos variables and uncertainty with a tip based job? Yes, but I accepted that reality when I accepted the job.

Do pizza places take responsibility when a driver is screwed out of a tip because the rest of the store fucked up? Or do they get paid sub minimum wage to play martyr?

Do pizza places take responsibility when a driver is screwed out of a tip because the rest of the store fucked up? Or do they get paid sub minimum wage to play martyr?

No they don't (most of the time), and that's the reality of a shitty job. That isn't the customer's fault or the customer's responsibility. The customer doesn't owe me anything. I wouldn't consider myself "screwed out" of something I'm not entitled to.

They get paid sub minimum wage with the chance of tips (just like I did) because that is the condition of the job and they accepted it. If they aren't happy with that risk, don't accept the conditions. Especially don't accept the conditions and then expect that you deserve a tip for every delivery you make, regardless of outcome and regardless of who on your team fucked up. That's between you and your coworkers/bosses, NOT the customer.

I'm an expert

Hey, now there's at least 2 of us on these forums that get it!

You can't legally be paid sub minimum wage in America. The point is that if your tips don't bring you up at to at least minimum, the store will. My issue was always an internal one with the coworkers/management. As you said, if I lost a large tip due to someone else's mistakes, then it's like they've taken money out of my pocket since it's more likely that the tip(s) I lost would have put me over minimum wage, which the store does not have to cover obviously.

I'm a delivery driver, got into a bad accident today while working. But I guess thats the risk we take to bring people their food.

It's the risk anyone who uses a vehicle for work takes on, even just commuting. If you're not in America you should be fine. If you are, then hopefully you (if the accident was your fault) or your employer (if it wasn't) have commercial/delivery insurance.

No they don't (most of the time), and that's the reality of a shitty job. That isn't the customers fault or the customers responsibility. The customer doesn't owe me anything. I wouldn't consider myself "screwed out" of something I'm not entitled to.

They get paid sub minimum wage with the chance of tips (just like I did) because that is the condition of the job and they accepted it. If they aren't happy with that risk, don't accept the conditions. Especially don't accept the conditions and then expect that you deserve a tip for every delivery you make, regardless of outcome and regardless of who on your team fucked up. That's between you and your coworkers/bosses, NOT the customer.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect a tip for an hour late cold pizza either. I was genuinely curious what the store's response is when a driver is put in a position where they can't expect a tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom