• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Bloodborne's 1.03 patch tested

bombshell

Link to full article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-bloodborne-loading-times-improved

The result? As promised, almost every area selected via the Hunter's Dream hub now loads 5-15 seconds faster. It's a success across the game's early spots especially, but there are also areas where From Software over-delivers.

The real game-changer is Bloodborne's improved respawn loading times. Previously players were forced to wait up to 53 seconds to revive in complex areas like Central Yharnam. But with the patch now installed, a whopping 26 seconds is cut off that loading screen after dying. This means respawns at the Central Yharnam lamp now take just 18 seconds on a stock PS4 HDD.

Better than that, respawns in Old Yharnam are now 32 seconds faster, with our test taking only 21 seconds total after dying just crossing the initial bridge. It's an upgrade that puts the stock PS4 HDD close to the results on a Hybrid SSD without the patch - and also narrows the gap when patch 1.03 is installed on that drive.

csDbJLw.png

Unfortunately, the frame-pacing issues we reported on at launch persist even after patch 1.03 is installed. This means the frame-rate still feels very uneven, despite the average being 30fps - something that hopefully is recognised at From Software for a future patch.

amar212

I didn't play Bloodborne, but let me get this straight...

...issues were occasional +40 seconds loadings?

Less than one minute?

ONE MINUTE?

And that was the problem?

OK

Less than one minute?

ONE MINUTE?

OK
40+ seconds to respawn every time you die in a game where you die a lot.

It adds up.

Stevey

Less than one minute?

ONE MINUTE?

OK

Every time you died you had to wait 30 second plus?

Sounds like a massive problem to me.

Does this patch fix the frame pacing issues?

NIN90

Holy shit respawn times basically getting slashed by half.

Less than one minute?

ONE MINUTE?

OK

Yeah, maybe you should play Bloodborne first before posting something in a condescending tone.

Kill3r7

Less than one minute?

ONE MINUTE?

OK

Given how often the avg player faces the loading screen in BB it is not surprising. I don't even want to think about how much time I've wasted staring at the loading screen.

Swass

Looks like some nice improvements especially on SSHD drives which I have in mine. I'm still waiting for a deal on the game, so keep the patches coming.

Less than one minute?

ONE MINUTE?

OK

+40 seconds is a LONG, frustrating time for a respawn on a game where dying is a common occurrence. Try to find any other game in your library that takes so long to give you control back after you die. It really was a problem.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Every time you died you had to wait 30 second plus?

Sounds like a massive problem to me.

Does this patch fix the frame pacing issues?

Common man, it's the last line of the OP. it's in this same page....

Unfortunately, the frame-pacing issues we reported on at launch persist even after patch 1.03 is installed. This means the frame-rate still feels very uneven, despite the average being 30fps - something that hopefully is recognised at From Software for a future patch.

I'm happy that they patched the loading times. I died my fair share to
Martyn Logarius
and got tired of wasting 15 minutes of playtime just staring at loading screen in the hardest areas. (counting death and area warping loadings).

Less than one minute?

ONE MINUTE?

OK

How about try playing the game first?

It's even more annoying when you're trying to explore or you don't know where you're supposed to go and you have to go through a bunch of the lamps to find your way. You have to load into an area, realize you went to the wrong place, load back into the hunter's dream, then load into a new area again.

Less than one minute?

ONE MINUTE?

OK

I actually kept track of how long I stared at loading screens when I first started playing the game and it was between 25-33%. That wasn't very acceptable. Luckily as you get better you see less of them but it's still a legit complaint. The fact you had to stare at two loading screen for 30-40 seconds each just to go level up made it worse.

Surely that was a lesser issue than frame pacing, although it's good they improved the load times.

I've had no issues with the frame rate.

Kal_El

Although i've never had a problem with the load times the addition of item descriptions are what i'm most excited about. So great patch.

Surely that was a lesser issue than frame pacing, although it's good they improved the load times.

Everyone complained about load times.
Not nearly as many spoke of frame pacing, or the unevenness of the rate was a far more passing issue.
I imagine they'll degrease those gears next

The loading times never really bothered me that much, gave me some time to think about what happened and what I'm going to do next. That said, this is still a nice improvement to have.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Less than one minute?

ONE MINUTE?

OK

dude that's a long-ass loading time

are you serious?

la_briola

Less than one minute?

ONE MINUTE?

OK

It all depends on what you are accustomed to.
Dark Souls 2 on PC has like 2~5s load times.

I can't stand long load times.

jmaine_ph

Less than one minute?

ONE MINUTE?

OK
I did play it and it wasn't that big of a deal to me. That load screen gave me time to plot my next move

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Much bigger improvement to the load times than I expected, which is awesome. I expected the frame pacing to be fixed as well in this patch so that's a bummer. It was a bigger issue for me than load times.

Krakn3Dfx

I haven't once in 40+ hours had an issue with the frame pacing personally, but the load times were pretty annoying, especially after 20+ times trying to beat
the hunter in the Grand Cathedral
without resorting to cheesing him.

Load times were clearly a more pressing issue for most people.

Fisty

Didnt notice a difference between stated load times for stock HDD and my SSD, but hopefully i will see a dramtic improvement after this patch. Looking forward to starting a new char now

Percy

Banned
Had to laugh at them using the word 'overdelivered' in the write up after a poster in the Gaf thread about the patch copped a lot of shit for using the exact same phrasing when talking about the new loading times ^_^'

pizzacat

Banned

Less than one minute?

ONE MINUTE?

OK
It's predecessors slogan was prepare to die. We weren't prepared with the loading times.

Frames need to be fixed to like a solid state

Less than one minute?

ONE MINUTE?

OK

Not occasional. If you get stuck on a boss you could be dying 20-30 times, every time resulting in almost a minute of loading. You run up to the boss, get insta-killed from some attack, die, load, at the respawn point you have to decide if you're going to fight the boss, farm healing items/regroup, so you either run to the boss, possibly die again immediately, load again, maybe this time decided to regroup so you have to go to the hub, 15 sec load, from the hub you either buy some stuff or pick a new area, either way, another almost 1 min load. Etc...

These games are about dying trying to figure out strategy, they reward patience, and you need to have lots of it. But the loadings end up making things even more frustrating because you have to wait to try something again. So yes, it was a huge issue.

This is really good news, but I hope they announce DLC soon(unlikely, I know). I'm a few chalice dungeons away from a platinum trophy and the game is sorely lacking on content for experienced players.

Steroyd

Less than one minute?

ONE MINUTE?

OK

Doesn't sound long on the surface but if you die at a boss and just want to get back into it straight away the load times are about 10-20 seconds too long it makes you feel like you have ADHD or something.

This is totally good news. I know my friend was bitching constantly about the load times. LOL. Was wanting to try this game out but decided to wait until they ironed out the game abit more. Think it may be time to jump in then.

jett

D-Member
Holy shit I can't believe some people defended the original load times. 45 seconds? 48? 53? Even with the patch it seems pretty awful.

ShogunX

It's good that From are optimising BloodBorne and I hope they continue to do so and fix the other issues people have with the game. On the long loading screens I normally took the time to think about how I was going to approach a situation differently instead of rage spawning and getting myself killed quickly (I do this in DS2 a fair bit lol). Not that it excuses the long loading of course, I always thought as we develop technology further and further that loading times would be pretty much zero.

Top Bottom