• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry hands-on Quantum Break (XB1)

eso76

*watches 1080p gameplay videos
"I can't believe this is console footage, it looks so good !"
*reads numbers on DF hands-on
"This is unacceptable, it looks like shit !"

Hesemonni

Banned
Resolution isn't everything like the video says and the game looks impressive, but as a consumer I'm a little bit offended by the whole situation. I'll buy the game used after 2 months when I'll get it for 20 bucks.

Alienous

A lot of image quality can be lost in uploading to a website like YouTube.

I'm sure Gamersyde quality 1080p footage would have clued people in - "this is how it looks without severe compression, and the resolution looks subpar", but alas the last footage they uploaded of the game was 4 months ago.

It isn't like people are saying the game looks like shit, anyway. The question people seem to be having is how good it'll look on their televisions if it's sub-1080p.

jacobeid

Banned
Pretty disappointing but GAF/the Internet will blow this out of proportion.

I'm still far from sold on the concept so I'll wait for PC impressions.

Remember the Killzone: SF lawsuit?

Guymelef

Because people usually doesn't judge image quality with Youtube videos.

Wereroku

Let's be honest, 720 is dissapointing, but far from unplayable. *goes back to playing rdr*

I am sure it will look good but they did spend some time shooting down rumors and saying the game was going to be 1080p. It's a bit of egg on their face since they didn't get out ahead of this.

DOWN

Banned
720p with dips. The Dead Rising 3 approach lmao

The game looked super blurry but I figured it was just an attempt to really knock out aliasing. Guess not

Alienous

Maybe it's the live action TV parts that are 1080p, and so they rounded up on everything.

You jest but perhaps that factored into what seems to have been misleading statements. If a part of the game is 1080p, welp, Quantum Break is a 1080p game - never mind that the parts we are talking about are live action.

I can't believe we're going to do this all over again. I remember this same shit storm before Alan Wake came out, and when people actually got their hands on it, the main complaint was the bad facial animation.

You could kind of tell that the geometry was being rendered at relatively low resolution, as you maybe can in videos of Quantum Break, but really all it added up to most of the time was a softer look than a more jagged one.

I love pixel perfect IQ, and I'll be getting it from the PC version, but Alan Wake was a great looking game *overall* with other things it did making up for the lower resolution.

I'd be really cautious of calling the game unoptimised until we've seen it and get a full idea of all the techniques they're using. Alan Wake did a lot more than most games. I don't know if that's the same here or not.

Alan Wake certainly wasn't a case of a technically inept studio papering over their shortcomings by rendering at a lower resolution. I'd be surprised if this is.

They basically put Uncharted 4 level of technology into an Xbox One, a low resolution is expected. But they sure used tons of tricks to lessen the impact because it has to be the best looking 720p game I've ever played. The cutscenes seems to be in a higher resolution, looks like 1080p to me.

and the game will still be absolutely amazing. don't know what people expected with graphics like this on the bone

ill be getting it on PC but dr3 was plenty playable on xbone

(though there sure are a lot more people in here calling it blurry than before 👀)

J_Viper

720p?
31e42680_8TxFZf9.gif

Not a deal breaker for me, but I thought I'd never see that number again.

Hoje0308

Banned
Well the gameplay videos looked good and no one noticed them not being 1080p. That being said its a shame they basically lied when they told us it's going to be 1080p

I did. I said multiple times, on Twitter and in the Gamescom thread last year that QB looked blurry. After we thought we had confirmation that is was 1080p, I assumed Remedy were doing something with the horizontal resolution.

Eidt: I did not think it was 720 though. Just assumed 1080pr or 900p with some post processing effects/AA that were smearing the image.

https://twitter.com/GAF_Hoje0308/status/707668737499869185

It looked really weird in the recent game play videos.

I was half expecting it to be some kind of interlaced resolution ala killzone mp.

Wereroku

I did. I said multiple times, on Twitter and in the Gamescom thread last year that QB looked blurry. After we thought we had confirmation that is was 1080, I assumed Remedy were doing something with the horizontal resolution.

https://twitter.com/GAF_Hoje0308/status/707668737499869185

I think people don't realize how hard Remedy went about how it was 1080p. I don't mind the res myself but they really shouldn't have gone out correcting people if it was going to be 720p.

DOWN

Banned
I'll still buy it since it's clearly ambitious and had SONY level graphical push, but the 720p is going to be noticeable and disappointing

Bgamer90

Banned
I totally thought something looked off with this game. It's basically a 360 game running on xbone.

A 360 game would never look as good as Quantum Break. People have already brought up Alan Wake being 540p.

More to the way a game looks than its resolution.

Well the gameplay videos looked good and no one noticed them not being 1080p. That being said its a shame they basically lied when they told us it's going to be 1080p

They definitely look a bit muddy and texture wise the game looked less impressive than in previous showings.

Hoje0308

Banned
I think people don't realize how hard Remedy went about how it was 1080p. I don't mind the res myself but they really shouldn't have gone out correcting people if it was going to be 720p.

Yeah, I really didn't think it would be that low, even though the image did look quite blurry to me. I edited the post you quoted to say that I assumed there was something going on with the effects that was smearing the image. I don't know enough to say exactly what that could be, other than an AA solution, but I just assumed it couldn't be such a low resolution given that they'd said 1080p.
This does nothing to quell my excitement for the game, but it's disappointing to be mislead like that.

eso76

A lot of image quality can be lost in uploading to a website like YouTube.

Yes, I know part of that has to be taken into account, but the same outrage has happened before, after people had a game running on their TV and never saw anything wrong with it until DF told them.
A lot of people are more outraged at the 'idea' itself than the way the game actually looks.
I can certainly understand the concern from people who have a 4k display though.

I'll wait for when this univeral app Bullshit crashes and burns and the game gets put on steam so remedy can make some money.

What a mess Microsoft has been this generation.

Top Bottom