• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry hands-on Quantum Break (XB1)

EGM1966

So it's 720p unscaled? Thats unexpected after Division and Rise.

Also I wouldn't go about it being the culmination of an (mostly abandoned) strategy. I mean it is and the whole TV show gimmick was clearly driven by MS aligned to launch messaging but it's whether it's a good game that will make/break it not some "choose your adventure" cutscenes.

Still cautious about this after finding AW mostly average to solid as a game.

Haven't XB1 games always been listed as outputting to 1080p? I thought that indicator was pretty useless for determining actual resolution.

never forget

080zyuod.jpg

Theorry

However, from the slides it seems like the game could be running at a 720P frame buffer. Isn't about lighting.

"Controversy erupted last week when a NeoGAF user called ShamePain discovered that slides given out during Remedy's SIGGRAPH 2015 presentation mentioned a 720p frame buffer. Erroneously, this finding allowed its poster to assume that the entire experience would be playable at a resolution below full 1080p HD. Many smaller publications picked up on the story, which lead larger ones to demand official intel on the subject.

While speaking with Eurogamer Italy, representatives from Remedy Entertainment fully debunked the inflammatory graphics rumors. Rather than a 720p output, "Quantum Break" will reportedly run at 1080p with a 30 fps limit.

As for where the original post went wrong, the source failed to recognize that any game's lighting and shadow effects are commonly rendered at a lower resolution than its main textures. Such is the reason for why 720p was cited on the slides. This caveat is known by those with a moderate understanding of triple A console development."

LostDonkey

Well the final output is 1080p, just upscaled. I don't know if they danced around that or If they have actually said "native" before.

Exactly. Same was said with MGSV. Final output was 1080p, but the game rendered at 900p and was upscaled, introducing artifacts etc. Anyone who has played Battlefield 4 on XB1 knows how bad the shimmering etc can be.

OneUh8

It still looks pretty good from the videos of the Xbox version. I bet this thing will be quite the looker maxed on pc.

LostDonkey

"Controversy erupted last week when a NeoGAF user called ShamePain discovered that slides given out during Remedy's SIGGRAPH 2015 presentation mentioned a 720p frame buffer. Erroneously, this finding allowed its poster to assume that the entire experience would be playable at a resolution below full 1080p HD. Many smaller publications picked up on the story, which lead larger ones to demand official intel on the subject.

While speaking with Eurogamer Italy, representatives from Remedy Entertainment fully debunked the inflammatory graphics rumors. Rather than a 720p output, "Quantum Break" will reportedly run at 1080p with a 30 fps limit.

As for where the original post went wrong, the source failed to recognize that any game's lighting and shadow effects are commonly rendered at a lower resolution than its main textures. Such is the reason for why 720p was cited on the slides. This caveat is known by those with a moderate understanding of triple A console development."

Ok fair enough. Thanks for the info.

Kinda weird though that DF would come to the conclusion through pixel counting that it is 720p.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It's ok guys, it doesn't matter anyway

3o85xH8F9aaPCFrOes.gif

madmackem

Wow, so all those who were blaming every outlets capture equipment when a fair few pointed out it looked very washed out and blurry need to eat crow. It's crazy for a first party title given all the time in the world and funding to come out with a 720p game, it's not as if it's a huge open world like mgs. Strange one I guess the Xbox version is going to look pretty bad up against its PC brother.

I mean damn they've been working on this for how long? Game was announced what like may 2012?(the xbox event). I at least thought 900p maybe they'll patch it.

Ok fair enough. Thanks for the info.

Kinda weird though that DF would come to the conclusion through pixel counting that it is 720p.

If so many of your rendering passes occur at 720p it doesn't matter anymore if you've got a couple full responsibility ones thrown in. The result is a soft image and a lot of aliasing. All the footage for this game has exhibited lots of shimmering and weird halos when the game is in motion.

Ulysses 31

720p is really not an acceptable standard in this day and age.

How so?

As a Wii U owner I've played plenty of 720p games just fine, even had some of the most fun playing those this gen so far.

And I play games in 2560x1440 to 7900x1440(EyeFinity) with all the eye candy turned on on PC.

If the graphical fidelity justifies the 720p on the system, why be salty about it?

Oh snap, I forgot it already gone gold. Figured they still had a bit of time left.

These are the review copies being analyzed?

Press event.

But I remember it taking place very close to the game going gold, so unless it was an old demo build, it should be final or extremely close-to.

jett

D-Member
Looks surprisingly clean though. I can't really spot much in the way of jaggies or other artifacts. It does however look really soft.

jimboton

It's 720p but don't worry guys, Remedy has used every post processing trick in the book to make sure you understand the vaseline look is an artistic choice. Super filmic.

jackdoe

Looks surprisingly clean though. I can't really spot much in the way of jaggies or other artifacts. It does however look really soft.
Their AA solution couple with the fact that the game is really dark makes it hard to pick up jaggies. But it is very, very soft and I imagine the problem will be compounded by how large your TV screen is and whether your TV also has to upscale to 4K resolution. 720p games looked alright on my old 55" TV, but on my current 65" TV they look like absolute ass.

wait a minute 720p at 30fps?

30 FRAMES PER SECOND @ 1280x720 resolution?

I thought they were doing it to hit 60fps, but 30fps is just a disgrace at 720p.

Top Bottom