• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] New Scorpio Spec Leak: ESRAM Gone, GPU Features Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
This project has been a complete waste of time and money for MS, IMO.

I think MS would be mad to not have the Scorpio, the PS4 was already 40% more powerful than the Xbox One and now the Pro is out there is an even wider power gap. I think the Scorpio will do decently for MS once released, provided it isn't hideously expensive. It'll help their sales if Xbox is where multiplatform console games look and perform best.

For hyping Scorpio as the next big thing this is underwhelming as fuck.

This alone wont save shit for this year. Gotta have the games.

Synth

To keep it in perspective, the PS4 was the most powerful console on the market until it was replaced by the PS4 Pro. Both the PS4 and the PS4 Pro received their share of "ragging on", I think you would agree.

PS4 Pro? Sure.

PS4?... LOL no...

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Haven't read all the posts.

I never thought scorpio would be this true gaming rig with Zen and Vega. But if they stick with Jaguar cores I'll be upset.

This leak being dated right after e3 leaves some wiggle room for changes since then, and didn't the teaser for Scoprio specifically mention a higher end CPU by one of the Devs?

Can't watch it right now, but I thought that was a thing.

Trago

Yup.

People always struggle to accept a dose of reality once they've hyped themselves to hell and back though. Happened with the PS4Pro and the Switch recently too.

These console makers are not going to go all out with specs any times soon. Going above $399 won't do anyone any favors in trying to sell a box. I don't get excited about console specs because I'm not looking at a console for its specs.

I feel like those constantly disappointed by the specs of these consoles should maybe consider switching over to the PC since power is such a high priority for them.

MilkyJoe

I dont get the logic- apparenty a 40% increase in power from the PS4 PRO...not even talking about the PS4 here...is not a substantial upgrade?

People are then citing Phil Spencer's point about wanting a considerably more powerful console as if that goes against the specs we are assuming here? How is that? How does 40% additional power from its competitor's UPGRADED console somehow not equal a more powerful console?

I think we have all been spoilt by the Zen rumours, hype and hyperbole over time.

People thinking bottlenecks, 1080/60 out of the window, etc...

ClearData

I've mulled over this news and here are my thoughts
  • GPU / CPU capability sound in line with what the realistic expectations were. The fantasy of a Vega and Ryzen equipped walking nuclear battle tank were tantalizing, but not based on reality, unless Microsoft was willing to have a massively expensive box and start a new generation.
  • I believe the GPU boost is significant enough to run more native 4K games then the PS4 Pro. But I think Microsoft botched messaging again by putting the 4K albatross on this console by calling it something akin to the "true 4K console." Anyone familiar with PCs and the power required for 4K could tell you that 6 TF and a netbook CPU is not enough to consistently run 4K games at high framerates, even with coded to the metal console games. They've walked this back by saying developers have the freedom to use the resources whereever. But they really hammered the 4K edge on the Pro and in the end they will both be using IQ tricks to hit that massive resolution bump in some games.
  • I still think the Scorpio is going to be a great console, and if priced right, is going to provide big boost to the Xbox ecosystem. I just want them to smartly market and develop a robust lineup. 4K Cuphead and Below. 60 FPS Halo. 1080P supersampled games, etc. I want to be excited after the letdowns of Fable and Scalebound being cancelled. They already have the preeminent gaming network and a big library of apps and services. So there is lot to leverage there.

So, undoubtedly, some segments are going to be dissapointed by the trade-offs that were always going to be part of the product. However, there is a lot there to be excited about if they can execute.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-03-01-it-sounds-like-xbox-one-will-get-hardware-upgrades

1st March 2016
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-03-01-it-sounds-like-xbox-one-will-get-hardware-upgrades

18th of March 2016http://kotaku.com/sources-sony-is-working-on-a-ps4-5-1765723053

Unless of course there are earlier documented rumors than what was talked about at GDC
When they announced that X1 will run Windows 10 is was obvious they will follow the iterative console model.

Yeah that justification always seemed stupid to me. All the pro does is let Sony sell a premium version at a higher margin while selling the original model at a lower margin using the same board revisions. It's about selling people a nicer version for more money not about keeping PC users who have better options anyway.

It wasn't about getting back PC users. It was about stopping a segment of console gamers from making the switch to PC in the first place, which is something Sony said they had noted. And that last bit isn't out of the ordinary either, I made my full on PC switch last gen mid-way through after being somewhat disappointed by the 360.

Peltz

Putting my Sony credentials to one side:

It will more than likely sell to existing XB1 owners in the short term, just like the Pro has. But I think it will do better because the PS4 went from 'the most powerful' to 'even more powerful' and that's not as attractive as going from 'the weakest' to 'the most powerful'. This is an advantage MS has. Promoting that message any wider than the current XB1 community is going to be tough though.

Games are what will make the difference.

I think it will sell about as well as the Xbox One S.

DocSeuss

Where did this come from? It's the second time I have seen this posted.

Some folks took a post I made out of context. I said I figured Microsoft might try to target a higher spec than the 6TF they'd mentioned previously, and that I was sure they were going for $399. I believe I said something like 60% odds of it happening.

I even said, and I'm happy to say again, that I don't know anything about Scorpio whatsoever. All I can do is offer informed speculation.

My industry work pertains to other things, and people are confusing multiple conversations that happened during that week. I think people assume that if you do anything in the industry, you must know everything or something, which is silly. I know a lot about some things, and absolutely nothing about other things.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
Yeah can't see this really moving the needle for MS in terms of mind or market share. It's a welcome addition though.

Worse still, the impact of the increased IQ is going to be lessened after a whole year of games already running at various checkerboarded buffers on pro. The leap is going to seem fairly miniscule to the untrained eye, and by the time Scorpio drops, Sony can boast a price drop and a reasonable catalogue of enhanced titles to bolster the machine.

I can't really see how MS will compete.

geordiemp

I dont get the logic- apparenty a 40% increase in power from the PS4 PRO...not even talking about the PS4 here...is not a substantial upgrade?

People are then citing Phil Spencer's point about wanting a considerably more powerful console as if that goes against the specs we are assuming here? How is that? How does 40% additional power from its competitor's UPGRADED console somehow not equal a more powerful console?

I think we have all been spoilt by the Zen rumours, hype and hyperbole over time.

Because the Ps4 pro performance is probably limited by 16 nm Jaguar running at 2.1 Ghz. That is the bottleneck in the system most believe.

Hence, Scorpio wont be 40 % better at running games unless they clock the hell out of the jaguar and water cool it lol. Maybe they will....

Boke1879

Sparks, obviously.

I really hope there weren't people hoping for true exclusives for mid-gen refreshes that would sell to what, 2-5 million total gamers by the end of the year?

Fam we had people making threads with the dream that MS would completely change their plans and make exclusive games for this.

Kayant

Glad to see people taking leaks as fact.
Do you know what a leak means?
If it was a rumor I would understand but a leak means it's factual information that has come early or not meant to be seen outside the party it was presented.
Doctor Seuss doesn't know shit

So stop reposting his nonsense
Sarcasm ;)

1st March 2016

18th of March 2016http://kotaku.com/sources-sony-is-working-on-a-ps4-5-1765723053

Unless of course there are earlier documented rumors than what was talked about at GDC
On PS4 Performance Boost:
-"Can't talk about the specific content."
-"Thinks performance boost might requires a lot of timing when using something better than x86 architecture."
-"So in other words, it is possible."
-"For example, there are ideas such as releasing a standard PS4 and a high performance PS4."

That was in October 2015.

The PR talk was always about "true 4K"... Now we are in the Checkerboard territory.. and Jaguar cpus... like the PS4 Pro. So yeah.. is something.

These console makers are not going to go all out with specs any times soon. Going above $399 won't do anyone any favors in trying to sell a box. I don't get excited about console specs because I'm not looking at a console for its specs.

I feel like those constantly disappointed by the specs of these consoles should maybe consider switching over to the PC since power is such a high priority for them.

Seriously 100% this. If all you care about is power then get a PC or let someone help you build a PC. These companies can't keep up. They can't keep up with PC and have it at an affordable price.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Yup.

For PS4 its a more powerful console than XBO. But now its meh?

If it was a rumor I would understand but a leak means it's factual information that has come early or not meant to be seen outside the party it was presented.

Sarcasm ;)

-"Thinks performance boost might requires a lot of timing when using something better than x86 architecture."
-"For example, there are ideas such as releasing a standard PS4 and a high performance PS4."

Yea I thought Sony mentioned it first.

Space_nut

Very true people don't seem to understand that ~2 TF more in gpu, 12gb 320gb/s ram and possibly better CPU will make a huge difference in graphics

We will see once the debut starts

Knuf

Phil Spencer said:
oaaixx.png

Source: Gameinformer

Lmao, if those specs turn out to be true then this Spencer guy is even more full of shit than I originally thought.

ironcreed

Banned
To keep it in perspective, the PS4 was the most powerful console on the market until it was replaced by the PS4 Pro. Both the PS4 and the PS4 Pro received their share of "ragging on", I think you would agree.

I even ragged on these mid-gen console announcements myself at first, then quickly got over it after putting everything in perspective. Hell, I am just happy that I will have the 'option' to upgrade to the most powerful console on the market at my leisure and bring my library with me. Pretty damn neat.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Fixed that for you, it will still control and play like a 30 FPS game no ? Double frame rate but 30 FPS control kinda negates the whole 60 FPS benefit IMO

Still I think Ps4 pro is great and nice for MS to have an Xbox scorpio pro Elite, it will allow devs to fine craft dynamic scaling / checkerboard and the like (Infinite warefare / Watch dogs 2).

Right, right, I was just making a reference to DmC@30 FPS debacle lol, but you're right, you're creating in-between frames to give the impression of more frames but it'll still control like a 30 FPS title and I assume it'll feel slightly worse

I think this kind of power at a 399.99 price point is something to get excited about. I am confused by some of the reactions here. Microsofts first party games, i know lol scalebound, are going to look amazing.

longdi

Banned
Sounds like Scorpio is PS4 Pro, just a year later. Not inspiring imo. Maybe Sony caught MS with their pants down with a mid-gen refresh, MS had to do some secret sauce hyping with regards to Scorpio power?

DOWN

Banned
Interesting seeing several posts in this thread pretending that "true 4K, uncompressed, 60fps" announcement video never happened

The timeline makes absolute sense for Scorpio to be Microsoft's hasty reaction to learning about the PS4 Pro, apparently down even to somewhat similar specs for the two mid-cycle console upgrades.

Ps4 Pro seems very rushed and messy with games running worse on Pro than reg Ps4, and no real infrastructure to explain the differences to consumers on a game by game basis. I dunno, you can spin it whichever way you want. It's more likely they both saw 4k coming and knew they could leverage it to keep charging high prices for hardware while discounting their base models and making up for how weak the base consoles are.

Duxxy3

For hyping Scorpio as the next big thing this is underwhelming as fuck.

This alone wont save shit for this year. Gotta have the games.

It has games. Look at the best sellers of last year. All third party. That's what Xbox owners buy.

They like xbox live, they like playing with friends and they like the controller. Now it has the most power.

Were people expecting anything more than Phil announced last year? Because this is exactly in line with what he said.

The problem is that most of it is likely going to be used to get closer to native 4K. Which is fine, but visually not that of a gigantic difference after a certain point, you know?

Imagine a multiplat game that runs at 1440p checkerboarded on Pro, and 1800p checkerboarded on Scorpio. The Scorpio version will look sharper, but not sharp enough to bring that 40% into evidence, get it?

It's kinda the same situation we had at the start of the gen with 720p vs 1080p, except the PS4 Pro is cheaper instead of costing the same, and the visual difference is smaller.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Well, that's sad to hear. MS made it sound like it would be a really powerful console and not "just" a Xbox one pro kind of thing.

EvB

Sarcasm ;)

Very good. I'd not see that

Disappointing if it's not that much better than a Pro, I thought they would really go all in especially launching a year later. So is Scorpio going to struggle running games at 60fps if it has a Jaguar CPU then?

It is a tad weird that this is available on their Dev portal. They must of known this would of been picked up and ran with like this.

It's a white paper, with not a lot of specific hardware information. Just describing techniques to scale gpu performance from 900p to 4k so devs can keep that in mind when developing their engine for the x1 and Scorpio.

ShowDog

If it's not going to provide a markedly better experience than the Pro then MS is setting themselves up to get blown out if Sony really has a PS5 launch planned for 2019. Even a "new" console like the Pro takes a year to hit its stride, that only gives them 12 months.

That said, who knows what Sony is planning for 2019.

Head.spawn

The only people hyping up a new CPU/new console generation were either drunks or people doing it so they could call doom and gloom when it didn't happen.

Wishful thinking aside, it's been pretty obvious they weren't using Zen CPU for a long time now.

DOWN

Banned
Lmao, if those specs turn out to be true then this Spencer guy is even more full of shit than I originally thought.
The guy talks a lot of fluff. Been saying for years that we'd see them focus on new IP by expanding their first party teams. Instead they've shrunk.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

7 actually.

A lot can change during that time. I don't expect the thing to magically have a CPU and GPU overhual, but 7 month old info isn't exactly that exciting.

DF was smart by leaving that little tidbit till the last paragraph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom