• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] New Scorpio Spec Leak: ESRAM Gone, GPU Features Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like everytime I watch one of these videos, I spend the next 30 minutes trying to look up what checkerboarding is, or some other term like that.

Scorpio over XB1
GPU = 360% increase
RAM = 50% increase
Bandwith = 370% increase (- whatever ESRAM did)
CPU = we don't know shit about it yet

Ps4 Pro over Ps4
GPU = 130% increase
RAM = 6.5% more usable ram for games
Bandwith = 24% increase
CPU = 30% increase

Looks big but how much big is PS4 over Xbox One?

Xbox One games in 4K. What did others expect? A whole new generation?

Actually yes, people were expecting that (I don't know why) even when Spencer stated that it won't.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Scorpio over XB1
GPU = 360% increase
RAM = 50% increase

Ps4 Pro over Ps4
GPU = 130% increase
Bandwith = 24% increase
CPU = 30% increase

I'm not the best mathematician, but 500MB more RAM is surely not just 6.5% of a total of 8GB the Pro has ?

oti

Banned
Yeah, they specifically said they intend to make their 1st party games 4k... what's the issue?

The issue here is that they have established the narrative that PS4 Pro is faux 4K while Scorpio is a native 4K console. Maybe they'll deliver that with their own games, as you said, but something tells me with every "non native 4K game announcement" people will be anything but pleased. And even with native 4K, if those games don't look a lot better AND feature native 4K, this whole narrative falls apart. Which to be fair, that's also the fault of people who took their imagination of what Scorpio hardware could be and just ran with it.

c0de

"The whitepaper we've seen - dated to just after Scorpio's E3 reveal -[...]"

Well, this means that the whitepaper is quite old. But of course we also have to consider that at some point they have to finalize hardware but I also think that a lot could be changed in the meantime.
And yes, it's strange to see no mention of memory latency.

JlNX

How can you guys go on for 14 pages pulling information from a article that has next to none, you guys must love arguing about semantics.

I cant wait for the official reveal of Scorpio.

Come on yalll.... lol even the article says hold your buttocks tight.

But to clear, this is speculation based on what we now know about new Radeon features open to Microsoft. The whitepaper we've seen - dated to just after Scorpio's E3 reveal - only confirms no ESRAM, boosted L2 cache and support for memory compression technology. Beyond that, all we have to go on is Microsoft's stated 320GB/s bandwidth, eight CPU cores - plus a motherboard rendering strongly suggesting 12GB of GDDR5 memory. How the final spec will shape up remains to be seen, but from the whitepaper details to the Vega enhancements available to Microsoft, we should be a seeing a highly capable 4K contender.

Why is nearly everybody commenting ignoring the fact that this information is 6 months old and anything can change ?

Even Frank O'Connor stated it's "Beefier" than he expected.

Duxxy3

This is not the 360. Also the 360 at least had more exclusives than Forza and Halo.

Yes, it had Gears as well. Which they still have.

What other big exclusives did they have?

PS3 had the exclusives. Xbox 360 had the network, the power and the controller.

Ushay

Scorpio over XB1
GPU = 360% increase
RAM = 50% increase

Ps4 Pro over Ps4
GPU = 130% increase
Bandwith = 24% increase
CPU = 30% increase

Utterly disappointing

/s

How is this marginally better than the Pro in any way at all?? It's clearly 45% faster..

Whatever the case I'm sure it will be a real beauty when we finally get to see it. I'm picturing a black case with the same design of the One S only slightly bigger.

Raylan

Banned
Yes, it had Gears as well. Which they still have.

What other big exclusives did they have?

PS3 had the exclusives. Xbox 360 had the network, the power and the controller.

You forgot all the "exclusives" it had in the beginning, like BioShock, Mass Effect, etc.?

Nikodemos

Why is nearly everybody commenting ignoring the fact that this information is 6 months old and anything can change ?

Even Frank O'Connor stated it's "Beefier" than he expected.
Architectures are locked in one year before release. Nobody makes fundamental changes to critical areas in the final stretch.

I'd be more worried about Microsoft's release schedule for games than the Scorpio specs, Sony appears to have them completely outmatched so far this year.

c0de

Low latency mean almost nothings for games... that is why GPUs focus in bandwidth over latency.

Latency is more a needed for OS tasks (general out of order compute tasks).

What? That's bull. If a game written for Xbox One relies on fast memory transfer from esram, there is close to no way to do that with RAM. Also what you say basically means we don't need caches. Which is of course also bull.

And then everyone would be setting fire to it for that. Microsoft is going to get roasted on GAF no matter what they do. It's actually pretty comical at this point.

It would be a disaster anyway, though. Who's going to build specifically for a new-gen machine aside from first-party? There ain't no third-party ignoring the 50 million PS4s and 30 million Xbox Ones already on the market.

So, the mid-gen upgrade is the next best thing.

ethomaz

Banned
It's roughly 1/16 more over regular ps4, so 6.25% more.
If I'm not wrong these 512MB more RAM come from the Pro's OS having addictional 1GB DDR3... so it is not that simple.

PS4: 8GB (5.5GB for games + 2.5GB for OS)
Pro: 9GB (6GB for games + 3GB for OS)

What? That's bull. If a game written for Xbox One relies on fast memory transfer from esram, there is close to no way to do that with RAM. Also what you say basically means we don't need caches. Which is of course also bull.
GPU beneficies of latency to render a game is minimal... that is why GPUs have way small cache compared with CPUs... the GPU cache is most about memory allocation registers (the info where the data is in memory)... of curse GPUs are changing for compute processing and that requires more cache and latency (that is why AMD is increasing it in Vega... for Compute Processing not Gaming Processing).

Games rendering did not benefices from lower latency like it beneficies from fast speeds (big bandwidth).

You thinking it is bull doesn't make it bull... it is true.

MS SDK will make most of the issues with the lack of eSRAM imperceptible because there is enough bandwidth in RAM to not makes difference.

Hoo-doo

Banned
“These are the highest quality pixels that anybody has seen”
“Uncompressed pixels”

Yeah not misleading at all. Just misinterpretation.

Wait, so when Jony Ive talks about a 'magical experience' using the latest iPad, you genuinely think the thing can cast firebolts?

For fuck's sake. What did you even expect out of the above sentences?
Both could very well just mean, 'we got games rendering at native 4K', and guess what. They will.

horkrux

That's a bummer. I mean Zen in Scorpio was nothing but a dream, but it would be so frustrating to see the fourth console crippled by fucking Jaguar cores now.

Works just fine for 4K I guess and that's what they wanted..

Head.spawn

The issue here is that they have established the narrative that PS4 Pro is faux 4K while Scorpio is a native 4K console. Maybe they'll deliver that with their own games, as you said, but something tells me with every "non native 4K game announcement" people will be anything but pleased. And even with native 4K, if those games don't look a lot better AND feature native 4K, this whole narrative falls apart. Which to be fair, that's also the fault of people who took their imagination of what Scorpio hardware could be and just ran with it.

Well if anything other than what they actually said, including forumite labeling is what you gleaned; how does that relate to what they actually said?

They said:

-4k first party games
-all other developers are free to do whatever they want with the power and 4k is not mandatory

I don't get how people come up with these narratives they make up themselves and then argue that it's at all what was said.

Pettigrew

Neo Member
Isn't that basically what people expected and isn't any different what MS has announced so far?

This is good sign

It's not the monster they talked at E3 2016. It's slightly better than a PS4 Pro, and I assume Scorpio will use checkerboard rendering for 4k gaming as well.

It's surprising since MS talked about real, true 4K gaming.

c0de

No esram was predictable, it was a mistake even on the Xbox One.
But nevertheless it has an impact on backwards compatibility, it means Scorpio has a different architecture and an emulation layer will be required to run old Xbox One titles.

It wasn't a mistake but a necessity at the time as MS always planned with 8 gb of RAM.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
As a small aside, at least Nintendo will combat all this craziness with console "refreshes" and simply sell upgraded tablets, docks or supplemental computing device add ons to "bump specs" instead of expecting people to go out and buy entire new systems.

This is what gets me. DF literally read exactly what MS confirmed at e3 (a white paper from that same date) word for word, speculated on CPU and now people are saying MS lied about something...

I swear people can't think for themselves.

Facts don't matter these days, it's all about feelings. People feel that Phil Spencer lied, so it must be true.

geordiemp

How is this marginally better than the Pro in any way at all?? It's clearly 45% faster..

Because the pro is imbalanced with a weak 2.1 Ghz Jaguar CPU. Thats what holds game performance back.

The next step for consoles is an I5 class CPU and 60 FPS gaming.

See that ? next to CPU, thats why it will be marginally better.

It's not the monster they talked at E3 2016. It's slightly better than a PS4 Pro, and I assume Scorpio will use checkerboard rendering for 4k gaming as well.

Its the exact monster they described in the video 6TF

Duxxy3

But it's exactly what they said it was...

longdi

Banned
Scorpio over XB1
GPU = 360% increase
RAM = 50% increase

Ps4 Pro over Ps4
GPU = 130% increase
Bandwith = 24% increase
CPU = 30% increase

Where you get 50% ram increase from?

We do not know how much Scorpio will cost and 320gb/s of bandwidth is pushing the thermals in a box envelope.

XB1 had poor specs back then so somehow Sony got things better, cheaper and smaller, at the same time frame.

PS4 Pro = PS4 = $399, imo thats a strong price point to start at. Besides PS4 is the minimum specs. Scorpio will have to live with XB1 low fruit.

shandy706

”These are the highest quality pixels that anybody has seen"
”Uncompressed pixels"

Yeah not misleading at all. Just misinterpretation.

LOL

So you're going full commit?

Wait, so when Jony Ive talks about a 'magical experience' using the latest iPad, you genuinely think the thing can cast firebolts?

For fuck's sake. What did you even expect out of the above sentences?
Both could very well just mean, 'we got games rendering at native 4K', and guess what. They will.

Ever feel like you're wasting your time beating your head against a brick wall....I know that feel.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Scorpio over XB1
GPU = 360% increase
RAM = 50% increase

Ps4 Pro over Ps4
GPU = 130% increase
Bandwith = 24% increase
CPU = 30% increase

PS4 - Xbone GPU gap = 38%

Scorpio - PS4 Pro GPU gap = 42%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom