• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] New Scorpio Spec Leak: ESRAM Gone, GPU Features Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironcreed

Banned
It would be a disaster anyway, though. Who's going to build specifically for a new-gen machine aside from first-party? There ain't no third-party ignoring the 50 million PS4s and 30 million Xbox Ones already on the market.

So, the mid-gen upgrade is the next best thing.

True, and it just works better when you think about it. Games are going to progress faster with this model, yet those with the older system will still get the game running at lower specs and will not be left behind. Then you can upgrade pretty much at your leisure and bring your entire library with you as well. It's like... PC.

I don't see this launching at $399, I mean Sony left out the 4K bluray player which helped the Pro reach that price point.

I think $449 is more accurate with 4k Bluray drive, 1TB HD (could be 2 TB?), 12 GB GDDR5 ram, 6TF GPU and ~2.5ghz Jaguar.

Let's remember Microsoft wants to make a decent profit on this....

Yes, it had Gears as well. Which they still have.

They had a bunch and new exclusives with 360 and even if it they didnt its not like Halo and Gears are as big as they were many years ago.

Not saying they gonna die but they not gonna go anywhere if its "just third party games".

Hoo-doo

Banned
I don't see this launching at $399, I mean Sony left out the 4K bluray player which helped the Pro reach that price point.

I think $449 is more accurate with 4k Bluray drive, 1TB HD (could be 2 TB?), 12 GB GDDR5 ram, 6TF GPU and ~2.5ghz Jaguar.

Let's remember Microsoft wants to make a decent profit on this....

Microsoft wants to revitalize the sagging Xbox brand though. No chance in hell they'll price it above 399 when PS4 Pro launched at 399 a year before and will be on the verge of a price cut.

Sarobi

Banned
Seems about right. While things can change (of course) this information seems to be on par with what Microsoft wants to do with the Xbox going forward. I mean we have until E3 to see how things pan out, but expecting a "new generation" hardware announcement at this point seems a bit out the window.

wapplew

True, and it just works better when you think about it. Games are going to progress faster with this model, yet those with the older system will still get the game running at lower specs and will not be left behind. Then you can upgrade pretty much at your leisure and bring your entire library with you as well. It's like... PC.

How will games progress faster when they have to create with low spec console in mind?

So you've seen this thing in action I assume?
Who hasn't? It's only slightly better than the Pro (probably lying about slightly). Remember when the PS4 was better than the X1 and we made fun on Xbox fans? Now that Scorpio is more powerful than PS4 Pro it doesn't count. Lol man these guys do this all the time. It's just sad how they'll change narratives to make their favorite console maker look good.

Humdinger

I wonder why the "leak" (from a MS developer website) now? I doubt it's accidental. Two possible explanations: 1) to deflate unreasonable expectations in advance of E3, or 2) get people thinking that these original specs are a done deal, so they are happily surprised at E3 when it turns out the actual specs are a bit better.

Or, I guess there's a third possibility: I may be over-thinking it.

What's the power difference then between the rumored Scorpio specs and an Xbox One S?

About 4.5 times the power, in raw TF terms, from what I've heard. It's a big jump over the standard Xbox One.

Unfair to put the spotlight on the fans.
The spotlight should be on MS. They should be heavily critisized for their BS lies.
I mean uncompressed pixels, native 4K and all that and it turns out it's just a slightly improved PS4Pro ? That's a lot of shady sh...they've said. They should be called out on that.

I'm a Sony guy, but some of the anti-MS posts in this thread are pretty ridiculous.

Personally, the big news to me (although most are saying it's expected) is that there probably isn't going to be some big leap forward for the CPU. That was the thing I was wondering about. I'm not a tech guy, so I had no real idea, but I understood enough to know that a much beefier CPU would be a very significant advantage for the Scorpio. It might enable the 60 fps gaming many hardcore gamers crave. It doesn't look like that's happening.

Had this even been x3 the overall performance of the PS4 Pro some people would still be disappointed.

True. The complaints would shift to; "UGh. All that power only wasted on the Failing Halo Times. Lying GEARS of BORE STORIES and Forza Driving me to Sleep Horizon MortorSleeps. SAD!" "They have no games i want to play so who cares about the power!"

Gradly

Actually yes, people were expecting that (I don't know why) even when Spencer stated that it won't.

The whole Scorpio reveal was about those uncompromised quality pixels haha. For me the message was clear targeting native 4K gaming not checkerboard or whatever solutions

.. no compromises... we can render at 60Hz... we can render fully uncompressed quality pixels... the best quality pixels... true 4K gaming...

Phamit

It's not the monster they talked at E3 2016. It's slightly better than a PS4 Pro, and I assume Scorpio will use checkerboard rendering for 4k gaming as well.

It's surprising since MS talked about real, true 4K gaming.

They gave us exact numbers and it looks like the console going to have these numbers. It wasn't some Magical Power they promised

But crackdown and sea of thieves will prob be less limited now..aka they would have performed poorly in the current XBO most likely. Wonder if they would patch Ryse: Son of Rome and give it as a free bee at release to help show off Scorpio power..
(everyone has prob played it by now) its overdue for being a games with gold offering
Sot runs like a dream on xbone already.

shandy706

Muahahah, NO.

My 6.8TF GPU in my gaming PC cost me $700 by itself.

So....haha.....yes?!

What's the gap with the CPU ?

Not as important with the console hardware and the way they develop games.

Anyone with a slight knowledge of this would know that.

Still waiting on you to explain how this wasn't what was expected and how it's not exactly what was promised.

Microsoft wants to revitalize the sagging Xbox brand though. No chance in hell they'll price it above 399 when PS4 Pro launched at 399 a year before and will be on the verge of a price cut.

And break even or eat a small loss at launch? lol

Microsoft is launching this as a "premium" console, the most powerful console on the market and it will hold that title for at least 2 to 3 years depending on when the PS5 launches.

Microsoft knows this won't help it catch up to the PS4 in sales so they might as well make decent some profit on it.

So, it seems as expected. It is more powerful than the pro but only as much as could be expected from a year later. It seems like the difference will be that more games will run in 1080p. On the other hand, Xbone is still the baseline...

All in all, it is the Xbone Exec or some such. While I think the difference between this and the Pro is good for those wanting to own both, I am not sure if it was worth waiting an extra year for. My sense is that Sony just had this in the works sooner, otherwise I don't see why MS wouldnt have released something on par with the Pro around the same time. Or maybe they saw the need to differentiate slightly, but that meant releasing later? Either way just like the Pro this will probaby eventually faze out the Xbone as the most available model.

How is anyone disappointed by this? This sounds amazing for a console, even if priced at $500
56094624.jpg

Breakage

Ok, with all this power, what are chances that we'll see Scorpio-only games i.e. games built from the ground up targeting Scorpio's architecture?

LeleSocho

Banned
The whole "not even a $$$$ pc can run games at 4k you are dumb if you think that this one could!" argument is not pertinent because console games don't have the same level of details in textures, shaders, polygonal models etc. that pc have in ultra settings, they just have to run the base game in the 4k framebuffer...

Instead it seems we'll get a machine that still can't provide a pure 4k image and that relies on the same tech to give something similar to that like the PS4 Pro does with these solutions being the norm rather than the exception.
With the almost confirmation that this thing still has Jaguar (ok Zen wasn't ready but at least they could've thrown Puma at the thing, from my understanding these console are really starving for cpu power so even the little Puma would have brought would've been useful imho) this really feels like a PS4Pro+ more than a thing of its own.
So much for the "true 4k" and "uncompressed pixels" lol.
I wonder since it's obvious that this SoC will use GDDR5 memory if at the least the core will be based on Vega or it will be just a Polaris one.

I was very hopeful for this thing but right now it doesn't seem a compelling machine at all to me.

Aceofspades

Banned
Sony outplayed MS yet again this gen. Releasing PRO last year was really smart move by them. MS is left with releasing a slightly more powerful and more expensive box a year later.

geordiemp

Ok, with all this power, what are chances that we'll see Scorpio-only games i.e. games built from the ground up targeting Scorpio's architecture?

Its not raw power, its GPU power, the games still run on jaguar and the differences will be minimal IMO.

Its going to be 2018 before we can play Witcher 3 at 60 FPS on consoles with an I5 class CPU....Roll on Ps5 / Xb2.

ironcreed

Banned

None. Everything is forwards and backwards compatible from here on out. Just like they originally stated from the get-go.

c0de

I doubt the answer is anything related to emulation, but perhaps DX12 is still a higher level API than GNM on PS4, which is why one is very particular to hardware changes and the other is not.

This is also my guess and I wonder what that will mean for ps5 and bc with ps4 and pro.

I believe the plan is for all games with the exception of VR to be released on the current Xbox One and Scorpio. It's up to the developers to choose how to apply the extra power in the Scorpio.

Edit: Just finished. About what I was expecting, but I fear there are going to be a lot of disappointed fans. Seems like a slightly more powerful PS4 Pro. Their approach even seems pretty similar to what Sony is doing with the Pro, considering they still maintain there will be no Scorpio-exclusive titles.

My thoughts exactly. Seems like a great machine, a lot to be excited about but expectations need to be put in check. All those people who bashed PS4 Pro for what it could/couldn't do better plan a back-pedal campaign on Scorpio to save face. Scorpio is basically the PS4 Pro if the PS4 Pro had come out a year later.

This is why everyone should just game and be happy, no reason to waste time and energy being a console warrior. Should be an exciting 10 months With Switch and Scorpio Hitting the market and PS4 Pro hitting it's stride. Love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom