• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] New Scorpio Spec Leak: ESRAM Gone, GPU Features Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

A number of games are apparently 1800c on PS4 Pro, those should probably run at 2160c on Scorpio.

As in, (3840*2160)/(1800*(1800*16/9)) = 1.44 ~= 6/4.2 = 1.42

I'm confused.

We knew from the start that this is a 6TF console and that hasn't changed.

Developers are free to use that power however they want. So why are people disappointed all of a sudden?

I think some are questioning what's the point when Sony can drop the PS4 Pro to $350 and it has more games. Like what's the point in even getting an Xbox Scorpio is what some are asking.

Interfectum

Sure but bumping up the specs are kind of a big deal. Watering it down to a "me-too" device doesn't seem entirely fair.

I mean, it's either a PS4 Pro+ or a PS4 Pro++

Either way, it serves the exact same purpose as the Pro. The biggest difference is it'll do 4K better and MS marketing will sell a lot more initial units (imo).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm confused.

Developers are free to use that power however they want. So why are people disappointed all of a sudden?

In my case, it was the mention of focusing on the checker boarding 4K rendering. Some of us thought maybe there's enough raw power to not have to rely on faux 4K rendering. Especially with their mention of everything being 'true 4K' earlier.

I understand not every game is optimized the same way, but still a bit disappointing to be honest. No doubts this will easily be the most powerful gaming console at release, but the Pro (more so because of the games on it) will still be my primary device.

I'm confused.

Looks like is going to use de same Jaguar cores from the Xbox One... thats not good at all.

Thraktor

Nothing hugely surprising. SRAM is largely redundant with 320GB/s of (presumably) GDDR5X, and they never would have been able to accommodate a 4K framebuffer on-die anyway. If they adopt Vega's TBR that should help quite a bit with bandwidth as well.

Zen was out the window as soon as they confirmed 8 cores. There was never any chance of them cramming a workstation CPU in there, and for a console focussed almost purely on increased resolution it would have been a pretty poor allocation of resources.

Orayn

Zen was always a long shot, people put too much stock in thinking MS would move to it.

As predicted, this is a PS4 Pro style upgrade that will do more native 4K by virtue of a faster GPU.

Fliesen

Seriously. It is still going to be the most powerful system... handily.

yeah, but is it powerful 'enough'?

If both systems can't run games natively at 2160p30, the power differential isn't as meaningful. Especially with more and more games adopting dynamic resolutions, it'd be even less noticeable.

Something like 1800cb on the pro vs 2160cb on Scorpio is way less noticeable of a difference than 900p vs 1080p on a 1080 screen.
Resolution bumps do have diminishing returns. And i don't think devs are going to offer high framerate modes on games that run at 30 fps on the PS4 pro.

It's certainly the most powerful console for first parties, but i don't think devs are going to spend a lot of effort to optimize around that many hardware configurations - i feel like, now more than ever, they're going to have parity between ps4 pro and Scorpio. I mean, why bother? The Pro isn't selling gangbusters, i don't see Scorpio doing that much better, especially as we can see that many people are filling their Xbone ecosystems needs with the One S.

VR, on the other hand, might be amazing on scorpio, especially, if they offer proper Oculus integration (i.e. oculus touch controllers, and none of that mini-USB, camera tracked move controller stuff)

Well, hopefully this throws a little water on the fire for those who kept shouting that this would be a new gen for MS. MS was clear that compatibility would be happening (Everywhere outside VR), and expecting entirely new architecture was most likely going to preclude that.

For me, this means I won't have to upgrade my PC again any time soon after upgrading my GPU last year. If the CPUs of these boxes keep being relatively week, my PC will keep being more powerful.

I do wonder if MS will keep suggesting "native 4k" at this point. I'm sure they can tailor first party titles to 4k at this point (Though I'm all but sure they'll use variable resolution even on those), most AAA third party games, probably aren't going to be running in 4k. In the end, price will probably be more important than that marketing point anyway, so this should allow them to come down to $399.

AmuroChan

Holding the CPU at a relatively fixed setup will help enormously with guaranteed seamless software compatibility with existing XB1 titles. I know people have argued that XB1 development may have worked against a higher level CPU target environment than PS4, and thus make a CPU switch easier, but do we know for sure that was the case?

All of Microsoft's 1st party titles already scale on PC with different CPU configurations. So I don't see why going with a better CPU in Scorpio will make development that much more difficult.

LordOfChaos

So Jaguar or at best Puma seems about 90% sure at this point, eh?

Interpolated work for hoping to achieve 60fps probably means the CPU is only a modest upclock, just like the Pro.

Bulby

What the hell is interpolating 30hz animation with 60hz graphics?

I dont want some weird ass Halo 5 animations in my games

ZOONAMI

Nothing hugely surprising. SRAM is largely redundant with 320GB/s of (presumably) GDDR5X, and they never would have been able to accommodate a 4K framebuffer on-die anyway. If they adopt Vega's TBR that should help quite a bit with bandwidth as well.

Zen was out the window as soon as they confirmed 8 cores. There was never any chance of them cramming a workstation CPU in there, and for a console focussed almost purely on increased resolution it would have been a pretty poor allocation of resources.

Do you think we could potentially see Puma at 2.5ghz at least?

btags

If it is truly a jaguar cpu that is disappointing. I am not an expert in terms of cpu stuff at all, so maybe someone like Durante could comment on this, but if I remember correctly there was jaguar cpus and then puma cpus, which were sort of a beefier jaguar. If this is correct, why haven't they at least upgraded cpus to puma rather than sticking with jaguar?

So basically a PS4 Pro+, still using checkerboarding and same CPU. Not surprising I think.

However, this:
frame-rate upscaling - running graphics at 60Hz but the CPU at 30Hz and interpolating animation

... framerate upscaling? Kinda sounds like a TV's smooth motion :p And the funny part is if this worked here it would work on PS4 as well, but nobody has done anything like this, so I dunno.

iMax

In my case, it was the mention of focusing on the checker boarding 4K rendering. Some of us thought maybe there's enough raw power to not have to rely on faux 4K rendering. Especially with their mention of everything being 'true 4K' earlier.

I understand not every game is optimized the same way, but still a bit disappointing to be honest. No doubts this will easily be the most powerful gaming console at release, but the Pro (more so because of the games on it) will still be my primary device.

Personally I think checkerboard rendering is better than native 4K. Both methods in practice look the same and to invest a large degree of compute resources into a comparatively smaller benefit is unwise.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Remember how the Eurogamer article closes guys, this is dated to right after Scorpio revealed, still not official until MS does their official conference. Right now it seems like a Super Pro, but could receive a bump with a year of dev time and decisions.

There not gonna shove in a Vega a few months later. The hardware roadmap is set in stone for stuff like this. The changes and boosts come from small optimizations, like how the Pro gives a couple extra hundred megs of memory compared to the PS4, etc.

I'm actually kinda glad that MS is basically doing a slight bump from PS4 Pro if only to keep the price down. The idea of a $499 console is just too insane to justify at this point. This will at least keep it at $399.

What the hell is interpolating 30hz animation with 60hz graphics?

I dont want some weird ass Halo 5 animations in my games

Yup, that was a bad implementation that I don't ever want to see again.

ethomaz

Banned
Could be. Or they are telling devs to basically make 2 versions. One with ESRAM support and one without.
I think the SDK will do that smooth without need a lot of dev intervention (of course there will be always points where dev will need to rework).

If it has a better CPU than the Jag, I would probably pick one up to play exclusives (what little it will have) and some multiplats on. Surely it will also play UHD blu-ray, filling that current void in my life with ps4 pro.

Really the biggest new info is specific mention of DCC, L2 cache increase, and lack of ESRAM. That much we can consider confirmed.

Also mention of checkerboard/spare rendering and half-resolution rendering. While these rendering techniques are not new, I think many were wondering if we'd see them implemented in games on Scorpio (vs straight up 1440p, 1800p, or 2160p).

For a whitepaper of this nature, I'm surprised there wasn't' even a mention of increased total RAM. While it's been heavily speculated that Scorpio will have at least 12 GB of RAM, the only mention of RAM in this whitepaper (at least which has been revealed by DF) is in regards to bandwidth. I would've thought they'd want to promote additional capacity for high res textures or something.

In reality the information we have regarding the CPU is no different than before. 8 CPU cores. While the note in the whitepaper seems like a hint towards jaguar, we still don't have enough information for confirmation.

Also, it should be noted that while this article from DF is dated from today, the origin of the whitepaper is from July 2016, 6 months ago.

The whitepaper we've seen - dated to just after Scorpio's E3 reveal - only confirms no ESRAM, boosted L2 cache and support for memory compression technology. Beyond that, all we have to go on is Microsoft's stated 320GB/s bandwidth, eight CPU cores - plus a motherboard rendering strongly suggesting 12GB of GDDR5 memory. How the final spec will shape up remains to be seen

ElFly

ESRAM was a dumb compromise, so it's good to see it gone

curious about total RAM tho. dunno if MS will keep with the rumored 12GB but that will make Scorpio less future proof. no good CPUs on these consoles is sad

Because no super new and shiny CPU.

Which if true would translate to 30fps again for most games and just a resolution bump like the PS4 Pro...

giphy.gif

Gudji

But gaf told me it was a new console generation

Been telling this to people for months (not here on GAF but other forums). It's not a new console generation even if most people would like that, since it would be a new start for Microsoft. Kind of what they did from the original Xbox to X360.

Guymelef

A number of games are apparently 1800c on PS4 Pro, those should probably run at 2160c on Scorpio.

Yep, that's what some of us are saying since some months ago.
I can see Scorpio being 2k where Pro is checkerboard 4K or Scorpio using variable resolution more often instead of fixed checkerboard.
But people shouldn't expect big graphical differences resolution aside.

Averon

Why didn't some believe AMD when its own CEO said no custom Zen designs until 2018?

If you're disappoint about no Zen in Scorpio then you have yourself to blame.

The floodgates have opened

there is basically nothing new in this article!?
esram gone was always a given
more L2 cache also with newer radeon GPU technology

this is only interesting for render techniques and stuff like that. well it's a white paper for developer, so ofc they talk about that suff mostly
and the whitepaper is from last year e3

btags

So basically a PS4 Pro+, still using checkerboarding and same CPU. Not surprising I think.

However, this:

... framerate upscaling? Kinda sounds like a TV's smooth motion :p And the funny part is if this worked here it would work on PS4 as well, but nobody has done anything like this, so I dunno.

I have no idea how something like this could work, but I would assume in theory it could look better than motion interpolation on TVs since it would be interpolating animation and then rendering a new image to go with the interpolated animation, rather than just interpolating a new image from existing images.

I guess the real question would be what the performance cost of something like this would be and what kind of artifacts would be present.

Space_nut

This document is from July of 2016. Very old and vague in details

The whitepaper we've seen - dated to just after Scorpio's E3 reveal - only confirms no ESRAM, boosted L2 cache and support for memory compression technology. Beyond that, all we have to go on is Microsoft's stated 320GB/s bandwidth, eight CPU cores - plus a motherboard rendering strongly suggesting 12GB of GDDR5 memory. How the final spec will shape up remains to be seen

HotHamBoy

lol WHAT

switch is barely as powerful as an xbox one RIGHT NOW

It's not even as powerful as an XB1. It seems like a small step up from Wii U.

I don't really know what people were expecting from Scorpio. If it was all that more powerful it might as well be a new console generation.

And Scorpio exclusives really underline that point. They're going to fracture their install base when it's already almost half of PS4's and make games in service of the more niche luxury console owners?

Kaako

Felium Defensor

Yup yup. They'll look pretty nice on a 4K screen IQ wise. Just like Watch Dogs 2 PC @ 4K which also uses checkerboard rendering to achieve 4K.

Bsigg12

It sounds like it was their design doc that they were building around. It should be interesting to see final specs when they finally show the console off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom