• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Nintendo Switch CPU and GPU clock speeds revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest considering the form factor - a handheld - this of no surprise really. But it not a complete, abject failure that some are making out.

The Nintendo games should be there in abundance (consildatated library and all that) and thats will shift consoles over time. With what we have seen so far, it's an attractive product. With a good price point and good marketing it still has potential to shift numbers and be a mass market product.

From a console gamer perspective it does look disappointing (well to a certain form of console gamer), but if they nail the whole gaming on the move, multi player aspect and flexible nature of the machine i think many people will go for that.

Also when people see the likes of Zelda running on this they're not going to go oh that's underpowered. It's about the whole package, and it seems Nintendo know what they are selling this time round. The Wii U failed for a number of reasons, not just power. And the industry as proved over and over again that power doesn't always equate to success either. It is always about the bigger picture.

Also being a traditional console is not the only way to exist within the industry. Whilst traditional consoles are going through a purple patch at the moment, Pokemon Go was downloaded 500million times as of September. Mario Run is being downloaded a shit load too - (37million so far) - many companies including sony are looking to leverage that success themselves.

KAL2006

Banned
more

This is a console. The only way the design makes sense is if games are first developed for 1080p TVs, then they will for sure be able to scale down to 720p. It's not feasible to go the other way.

The system was designed to be able to play on the Go. People were foolish to expect something substantially better than a Wii U when this was first announced to be a hybrid. Obviously people who don't care about handhelds or hybrid appeal will be dissapointment which I don't blame them. There are other systems that will be more appropriate for these people. As for me I'm also not that interested in handheld and hybrid nature but I'm interested in Nintendo games and hated buying 2 systems to enjoy these games so for me this is appealing and I will actually use the portable feature of this system here and there although not as much as I don't commute often and have multiple TVs in the house.

What I'm afraid of is price here. Rumoured £200 is a lot for something that's basically a portable with TV Out. I'm hoping the price will drop to £170 down the line which is when I would be willing to pick this up for. I already own a PS4 so I'm only interested in this for exclusives and Nintendo games.

CO_Andy

when you want your system to be Super Saiyan Blue but turns out to be an Ascended Super Saiyan

It's still in their interest for Switch to sell well. We saw the same sort of statements from third parties prior to the Wii U's release.
There were some, but there was definitely also a lot of negativity and ridicule from devs before the launch. Epic basically laughed at the question of the console having UE4. Getting positive reaction from Bethesda was completely unthinkable.

JB2448

An official English version of Mother 3 seems like a no-brainer at this point given all that Nintendo has done with the series recently (Mother 1 official release, Earthbound on both Wii U & 3DS, Mother 3 jokes in Nintendo presentations). I wouldn't be surprised if they made Mother 3 a launch title for the Switch's Virtual Console - give the hardcore fans another reason to jump in ASAP.
That would be absolutely incredible, and I hope with every bone in my body that your hunch is right. With that said, we still don't have concrete details about the Virtual Console outside of those rumored GameCube details. Given NERD's track record, if this Mother 3 report does finally come to fruition, what's stopping releases of the untranslated Fire Emblem Super Famicom, Game Boy Advance, and Nintendo DS games other than cost–benefit analyses? It just seems so uncharacteristic of Nintendo to do something like translating a 2006 Japan-only Game Boy Advance title in order to garner an initial install base on a brand new console.
TL:DR
Each of these numbers are only a single variable in the equation, and we need to know things like CPU configuration, memory bus width, embedded memory pools, number of GPU SMs, etc. to actually fill out the rest of those equations to get the relevant info. Even on the worst end of the spectrum, we're still getting by far the most ambitious portable that Nintendo's ever released, which also doubles as a home console that's noticeably higher performing than Wii U, which is fine by me.

This really helps put things in perspective. Thank you, Thraktor.

Oregano

To be honest considering the form factor - a handheld - this of no surprise really. But it not a complete, abject failure that some are making out.

The Nintendo games should be there in abundance (consildatated library and all that) and thats will shift consoles over time. With what we have seen so far, it's an attractive product. With a good price point and good marketing it still has potential to shift numbers and be a mass market product.

From a console gamer perspective it does look disappointing (well to a certain form of console gamer), but if they nail the whole gaming on the move, multi player aspect and flexible nature of the machine i think many people will go for that.

Also when people see the likes of Zelda running on this they're not going to go oh that's underpowered. It's about the whole package, and it seems Nintendo know what they are selling this time round. The Wii U failed for a number of reasons, not just power. And the industry as proved over and over again that power doesn't always equate to success either. It is always about the bigger picture.

Also being a traditional console is not the only way to exist within the industry. Whilst traditional consoles are going through a purple patch at the moment, Pokemon Go was downloaded 500million times as of September. Mario Run is being downloaded a shit load too - (37million so far) - many companies including sony are looking to leverage that success themselves.
]

Except it's much bigger than a handheld and has a fan in it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Don't think that really explains it. Thickness is kind of limited (in thinness) by the joycons and other "holding" metrics on ergonomics, and this thing is definitely thicker than your average tablet. The Pixel C operates A LOT higher on CPU (so thats a huge delta heat source) and it gets by on a passive cooled metal plate backing (though it has a larger surface area).

Numbers don't really make sense right now if the fan is actually used in portable, but the fan doesn't make much sense in general with these specs.

I know. It doesn't make too much sense at this point. But 3 SM on 20nm might be too big for Switch's dimensions.

I really hope for Nintendo there is a market for this thing.

After the Mario Run pricing outrage I have a feeling the mobile market isn't going to buy a 250 device to play 40 euro games on.

Second "console" for PS4/Xb owners? Can't be too many either.

LordKano

Reading Thraktor's post... so close to Xbox One? As all of the rumours pointed out before?

From what I understand we need more informations in order to pinpoint how exactly it compares. It could be anywherere between 2x Wii U (the worst case scenario, the one actually accepted here) and as much as an Xbox One (the less likely scenario).

So regarding the possibility of more SMs:

I believe according to graphs posted here, you get higher performance per watt with more SMs than you do by simply increasing the clock speed. Assuming Nintendo is targeting something like 5 hours of battery life they would be better off using a lower clock speed regardless of the amount of SMs.

So when we look at this from a design perspective, the two cost related variables here are:

• Die cost/SM cost
  • Battery cost

And two power related variables here which directly affect the cost variables above:

• # of SMs/CUDA cores
  • Clock of SMs/CUDA cores

It may be possible that Nintendo opted to increase the number of CUDA cores to reach their target performance rather than increase the clock speeds, as increasing the clock speed would require a larger and more expensive battery. Does anyone know how much money a larger battery would cost a console maker relative to an additional SM on the die?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
You could downgrade games from ps3 levels and get away with it. The switch is already a gen behind ps4/xbone. Now the pro and scoprio are hitting. Third party efforts will either be half assed spinoffs or non existent.

Sony and MS have gone on record that they won't abandon the Ps4 and XBOne. Of course,that could just be lip service, but is unlikely that third parties with abandon those consoles either.

Eliseo

I haven't had time to read through every response here, so I'm probably repeating what others have already said, but here are my thoughts on the matter, anyway:

CPU Clock

This isn't really surprising, given (as predicted) CPU clocks stay the same between portable and docked mode to make sure games don't suddenly become CPU limited when running in portable mode.

The overall performance really depends on the core configuration. An octo-core A72 setup at 1GHz would be pretty damn close to PS4's 1.6GHZ 8-core Jaguar CPU. I don't necessarily expect that, but a 4x A72 + 4x A53 @ 1GHz should certainly be able to provide "good enough" performance for ports, and wouldn't be at all unreasonable to expect.

Memory Clock

This is also pretty much as expected as 1.6GHz is pretty much the standard LPDDR4 clock speed (which I guess confirms LPDDR4, not that there was a huge amount of doubt). Clocking down in portable mode is sensible, as lower resolution means smaller framebuffers means less bandwidth needed, so they can squeeze out a bit of extra battery life by cutting it down.

Again, though, the clock speed is only one factor. There are two other things that can come into play here. The second factor, obviously enough, is the bus width of the memory. Basically, you're either looking at a 64 bit bus, for 25.6GB/s, or a 128 bit bus, for 51.2GB/s of bandwidth. The third is any embedded memory pools or cache that are on-die with the CPU and GPU. Nintendo hasn't shied away from large embedded memory pools or cache before (just look at the Wii U's CPU, its GPU, the 3DS SoC, the n3DS SoC, etc., etc.), so it would be quite out of character for them to avoid such customisations this time around. Nvidia's GPU architectures from Maxwell onwards use tile-based rendering, which allows them to use on-die caches to reduce main memory bandwidth consumption, which ties in quite well with Nintendo's habits in this regard. Something like a 4MB L3 victim cache (similar to what Apple uses on their A-series SoCs) could potentially reduce bandwidth requirements by quite a lot, although it's extremely difficult to quantify the precise benefit.

GPU Clock

This is where things get a lot more interesting. To start off, the relationship between the two clock speeds is pretty much as expected. With a target of 1080p in docked mode and 720p in undocked mode, there's a 2.25x difference in pixels to be rendered, so a 2.5x difference in clock speeds would give developers a roughly equivalent amount of GPU performance per pixel in both modes.

Once more, though, and perhaps most importantly in this case, any interpretation of the clock speeds themselves is entirely dependent on the configuration of the GPU, namely the number of SMs (also ROPs, front-end blocks, etc, but we'll assume that they're kept in sensible ratios).

Case 1: 2 SMs - Docked: 384 GF FP32 / 768 GF FP16 - Portable: 153.6 GF FP32 / 307.2 GF FP16

I had generally been assuming that 2 SMs was the most likely configuration (as, I believe, had most people), simply on the basis of allowing for the smallest possible SoC which could meet Nintendo's performance goals. I'm not quite so sure now, for a number of reasons.

Firstly, if Nintendo were to use these clocks with a 2 SM configuration (assuming 20nm), then why bother with active cooling? The Pixel C runs a passively cooled TX1, and although people will be quick to point out that Pixel C throttles its GPU clocks while running for a prolonged time due to heat output, there are a few things to be aware of with Pixel C. Firstly, there's a quad-core A57 CPU cluster at 1.9GHz running alongside it, which on 20nm will consume a whopping 7.39W when fully clocked. Switch's CPU might be expected to only consume around 1.5W, by comparison. Secondly, although I haven't been able to find any decent analysis of Pixel C's GPU throttling, the mentions of it I have found indicate that, although it does throttle, the drop in performance is relatively small, and as it's clocked about 100MHz above Switch to begin with it may only be throttling down to a 750MHz clock or so even under prolonged workloads. There is of course the fact that Pixel C has an aluminium body to allow for easier thermal dissipation, but it likely would have been cheaper (and mechanically much simpler) for Nintendo to adopt the same approach, rather than active cooling.

Alternatively, we can think of it a different way. If Switch has active cooling, then why clock so low? Again assuming 20nm, we know that a full 1GHz clock shouldn't be a problem for active cooling, even with a very small quiet fan, given the Shield TV (which, again, uses a much more power-hungry CPU than Switch). Furthermore, if they wanted a 2.5x ratio between the two clock speeds, that would give a 400MHz clock in portable mode. We know that the TX1, with 2 SMs on 20nm, consumes 1.51W (GPU only) when clocked at about 500MHz. Even assuming that that's a favourable demo for the TX1, at 20% lower clock speed I would be surprised if a 400MHz 2 SM GPU would consume any more than 1.5W. That's obviously well within the bounds for passive cooling, but even being very conservative with battery consumption it shouldn't be an issue. The savings from going from 400MHz to 300MHz would perhaps only increase battery life by about 5-10% tops, which makes it puzzling why they'd turn down the extra performance.

Finally, the recently published Switch patent application actually explicitly talks about running the fan at a lower RPM while in portable mode, and doesn't even mention the possibility of turning it off while running in portable mode. A 2 SM 20nm Maxwell GPU at ~300MHz shouldn't require a fan at all, and although it's possible that they've changed their mind since filing the patent in June, it begs the question of why they would even consider running the fan in portable mode if their target performance was anywhere near this.

Case 2: 3 SMs - Docked: 576 GF FP32 / 1,152 GF FP16 - Portable: 230.4 GF FP32 / 460.8 GF FP16

This is a bit closer to the performance level we've been led to expect, and it does make a little bit of sense from the perspective of giving a little bit over TX1 performance at lower power consumption. (It also matches reports of overclocked TX1s in early dev kits, as you'd need to clock a bit over the standard 1GHz to reach docked performance here.) Active cooling while docked makes sense for a 3 SM GPU at 768MHz, although wouldn't be needed in portable mode. It still leaves the question of why not use 1GHz/400MHz clocks, as even with 3 SMs they should be able to get by with passive cooling at 400MHz, and battery consumption shouldn't be that much of an issue.

Case 3: 4 SMs - Docked: 768 GF FP32 / 1,536 GF FP16 - Portable: 307.2 GF FP32 / 614.4 GF FP16

This would be on the upper limit of what's been expected, performance wise, and the clock speeds start to make more sense at this point, as portable power consumption for the GPU would be around the 2W mark, so further clock increases may start to effect battery life a bit too much (not that 400-500MHz would be impossible from that point of view, though). Active cooling would be necessary in docked mode, but still shouldn't be needed in portable mode (except perhaps if they go with a beefier CPU config than expected).

Case 4: More than 4 SMs

I'd consider this pretty unlikely, but just from the point of view of "what would you have to do to actually need active cooling in portable mode at these clocks", something like 6 SMs would probably do it (1.15 TF FP32/2.3 TF FP16 docked, 460 GF FP32/920 GF FP16 portable), but I wouldn't count on that. For one, it's well beyond the performance levels that reliable-so-far journalists have told us to expect, but it would also require a much larger die than would be typical for a portable device like this (still much smaller than PS4/XBO SoCs, but that's a very different situation).

Each of these numbers are only a single variable in the equation, and we need to know things like CPU configuration, memory bus width, embedded memory pools, number of GPU SMs, etc. to actually fill out the rest of those equations to get the relevant info. Even on the worst end of the spectrum, we're still getting by far the most ambitious portable that Nintendo's ever released, which also doubles as a home console that's noticeably higher performing than Wii U, which is fine by me.

I always enjoy your post =D

Waji

I can't tell if you're actually being serious
Your call : D.
I like gambling.
In fact I don't.
I'm just laughing at what's happening right now. People thinking the Switch is going to be a Wii U is hilarious.
It feels like some people even forgot what playing meant at some point.

Haha, right. When was the last time Havoc has made a good game? Who is Konami?
Some Indies. In other words: This list is semi-serious at best.
Even if you remove indies and companies not doing games, it's still pretty different, not even from the list perspective but from everything we've heard everywhere.

pvpness

Fuck you Nintendo for ever calling this thing a home console. Lol. They should be calling this thing the next Nintendo handheld in their PR. Of course that would probably lead the public to where I'm at right now. When you releasing your next home console Nintendo? I'll wait for that. Hopefully it's 2018. Ha.

Pastry

Banned

Interesting, do you work in games dev?

Snakey125

Welp. I was wrong. It really is just a portable Wii U and bumped-up one when docked. Can we officially call NateDrake a fake now? This really is just where the successor to the Vita would land. Skyrim will chug on this. It's weaker than the PS3 by a huge margin when portable. This is not a current-generation machine.

I'm sorry to all of the naysayers I argued with. You were right. I'll never be optimistic about Nintendo again.

I was not expecting much either. Nintendo is stubborn as hell and will never adapt to the changes of this industry. Perhaps the only thing they have adapted to is the fact their primary market has a dead home console market.

I don't think 176gflops on the Wii U is fast enough to render games like Mario Kart 8. On paper it's slower than my AMD Workstation Laptop from 2011.

DieH@rd

Banned
How legit are CPU benchmarks like this? https://browser.primatelabs.com/android-benchmarks

If the Shield at 1.9GHz is 876 points and already middle of the list, dividing by 2 would make it be near the bottom.

Just how bad would 4 A57 at 1GHz be for running something like Witcher 3, a new Assassin's Creed or Fallout 4?

That's without accounting for any OS reservations, taking 1 core or something.

Forget about majority of 8th gen multiplatform games running on Switch. Smaller and simpler games like Rocket League could end up on it.

DQ11 will be a good benchmark for a purposley built multiplatform game that runs on Switch and PS4. Will they gimp PS4 version by designing the game for Switch, or will they compromise visuals a lot to get PS4 version running on Switch? We will known a lot more in 4 months.

Peltz

There were some, but there was definitely also a lot of negativity and ridicule from devs before the launch. Epic basically laughed at the question of the console having UE4. Getting positive reaction from Bethesda was completely unthinkable.
I agree. I was just playing devils advocate.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I haven't had time to read through every response here, so I'm probably repeating what others have already said, but here are my thoughts on the matter, anyway:

CPU Clock

This isn't really surprising, given (as predicted) CPU clocks stay the same between portable and docked mode to make sure games don't suddenly become CPU limited when running in portable mode.

The overall performance really depends on the core configuration. An octo-core A72 setup at 1GHz would be pretty damn close to PS4's 1.6GHZ 8-core Jaguar CPU. I don't necessarily expect that, but a 4x A72 + 4x A53 @ 1GHz should certainly be able to provide "good enough" performance for ports, and wouldn't be at all unreasonable to expect.

Memory Clock

This is also pretty much as expected as 1.6GHz is pretty much the standard LPDDR4 clock speed (which I guess confirms LPDDR4, not that there was a huge amount of doubt). Clocking down in portable mode is sensible, as lower resolution means smaller framebuffers means less bandwidth needed, so they can squeeze out a bit of extra battery life by cutting it down.

Again, though, the clock speed is only one factor. There are two other things that can come into play here. The second factor, obviously enough, is the bus width of the memory. Basically, you're either looking at a 64 bit bus, for 25.6GB/s, or a 128 bit bus, for 51.2GB/s of bandwidth. The third is any embedded memory pools or cache that are on-die with the CPU and GPU. Nintendo hasn't shied away from large embedded memory pools or cache before (just look at the Wii U's CPU, its GPU, the 3DS SoC, the n3DS SoC, etc., etc.), so it would be quite out of character for them to avoid such customisations this time around. Nvidia's GPU architectures from Maxwell onwards use tile-based rendering, which allows them to use on-die caches to reduce main memory bandwidth consumption, which ties in quite well with Nintendo's habits in this regard. Something like a 4MB L3 victim cache (similar to what Apple uses on their A-series SoCs) could potentially reduce bandwidth requirements by quite a lot, although it's extremely difficult to quantify the precise benefit.

GPU Clock

This is where things get a lot more interesting. To start off, the relationship between the two clock speeds is pretty much as expected. With a target of 1080p in docked mode and 720p in undocked mode, there's a 2.25x difference in pixels to be rendered, so a 2.5x difference in clock speeds would give developers a roughly equivalent amount of GPU performance per pixel in both modes.

Once more, though, and perhaps most importantly in this case, any interpretation of the clock speeds themselves is entirely dependent on the configuration of the GPU, namely the number of SMs (also ROPs, front-end blocks, etc, but we'll assume that they're kept in sensible ratios).

Case 1: 2 SMs - Docked: 384 GF FP32 / 768 GF FP16 - Portable: 153.6 GF FP32 / 307.2 GF FP16

I had generally been assuming that 2 SMs was the most likely configuration (as, I believe, had most people), simply on the basis of allowing for the smallest possible SoC which could meet Nintendo's performance goals. I'm not quite so sure now, for a number of reasons.

Firstly, if Nintendo were to use these clocks with a 2 SM configuration (assuming 20nm), then why bother with active cooling? The Pixel C runs a passively cooled TX1, and although people will be quick to point out that Pixel C throttles its GPU clocks while running for a prolonged time due to heat output, there are a few things to be aware of with Pixel C. Firstly, there's a quad-core A57 CPU cluster at 1.9GHz running alongside it, which on 20nm will consume a whopping 7.39W when fully clocked. Switch's CPU might be expected to only consume around 1.5W, by comparison. Secondly, although I haven't been able to find any decent analysis of Pixel C's GPU throttling, the mentions of it I have found indicate that, although it does throttle, the drop in performance is relatively small, and as it's clocked about 100MHz above Switch to begin with it may only be throttling down to a 750MHz clock or so even under prolonged workloads. There is of course the fact that Pixel C has an aluminium body to allow for easier thermal dissipation, but it likely would have been cheaper (and mechanically much simpler) for Nintendo to adopt the same approach, rather than active cooling.

Alternatively, we can think of it a different way. If Switch has active cooling, then why clock so low? Again assuming 20nm, we know that a full 1GHz clock shouldn't be a problem for active cooling, even with a very small quiet fan, given the Shield TV (which, again, uses a much more power-hungry CPU than Switch). Furthermore, if they wanted a 2.5x ratio between the two clock speeds, that would give a 400MHz clock in portable mode. We know that the TX1, with 2 SMs on 20nm, consumes 1.51W (GPU only) when clocked at about 500MHz. Even assuming that that's a favourable demo for the TX1, at 20% lower clock speed I would be surprised if a 400MHz 2 SM GPU would consume any more than 1.5W. That's obviously well within the bounds for passive cooling, but even being very conservative with battery consumption it shouldn't be an issue. The savings from going from 400MHz to 300MHz would perhaps only increase battery life by about 5-10% tops, which makes it puzzling why they'd turn down the extra performance.

Finally, the recently published Switch patent application actually explicitly talks about running the fan at a lower RPM while in portable mode, and doesn't even mention the possibility of turning it off while running in portable mode. A 2 SM 20nm Maxwell GPU at ~300MHz shouldn't require a fan at all, and although it's possible that they've changed their mind since filing the patent in June, it begs the question of why they would even consider running the fan in portable mode if their target performance was anywhere near this.

Case 2: 3 SMs - Docked: 576 GF FP32 / 1,152 GF FP16 - Portable: 230.4 GF FP32 / 460.8 GF FP16

This is a bit closer to the performance level we've been led to expect, and it does make a little bit of sense from the perspective of giving a little bit over TX1 performance at lower power consumption. (It also matches reports of overclocked TX1s in early dev kits, as you'd need to clock a bit over the standard 1GHz to reach docked performance here.) Active cooling while docked makes sense for a 3 SM GPU at 768MHz, although wouldn't be needed in portable mode. It still leaves the question of why not use 1GHz/400MHz clocks, as even with 3 SMs they should be able to get by with passive cooling at 400MHz, and battery consumption shouldn't be that much of an issue.

Case 3: 4 SMs - Docked: 768 GF FP32 / 1,536 GF FP16 - Portable: 307.2 GF FP32 / 614.4 GF FP16

This would be on the upper limit of what's been expected, performance wise, and the clock speeds start to make more sense at this point, as portable power consumption for the GPU would be around the 2W mark, so further clock increases may start to effect battery life a bit too much (not that 400-500MHz would be impossible from that point of view, though). Active cooling would be necessary in docked mode, but still shouldn't be needed in portable mode (except perhaps if they go with a beefier CPU config than expected).

Case 4: More than 4 SMs

I'd consider this pretty unlikely, but just from the point of view of "what would you have to do to actually need active cooling in portable mode at these clocks", something like 6 SMs would probably do it (1.15 TF FP32/2.3 TF FP16 docked, 460 GF FP32/920 GF FP16 portable), but I wouldn't count on that. For one, it's well beyond the performance levels that reliable-so-far journalists have told us to expect, but it would also require a much larger die than would be typical for a portable device like this (still much smaller than PS4/XBO SoCs, but that's a very different situation).

Unfortunately, multiple people are saying that the leaked specs are correct other than clock speeds. It's 2SMs. 3 SMs matches the rumored reports of its performance perfectly, as I said earlier in the thread, but that just doesn't seem to be the case. If it were 3SMs I'd be extremely satisfied with these clocks, but it just isn't.

I don't understand it, though! 2SMs just doesn't make sense unless NVAPI is the greatest graphics API in history or devs have quickly taken to FP16. It just doesn't make sense in my head and I can't reconcile it.

Kouriozan

Honestly, this isn't too unreasonable if it's marketed more as a portable with Nintendo exclusives. It'd a better/easier sell then trying to convince a PS4 owner to get an x-box and vice versa.
Nintendo marketting has been pretty good lately, let's hope they'll nail this.

Fuck you Nintendo for ever calling this thing a home console. Lol. They should be calling this thing the next Nintendo handheld in their PR. Of course that would probably lead the public to where I'm at right now. When you releasing your next home console Nintendo? I'll wait for that. Hopefully it's 2018. Ha.

It is more powerful than the Wii U why wouldnt they call it a home console?

Vena

Unfortunately, multiple people are saying that the leaked specs are correct other than clock speeds. It's 2SMs. 3 SMs matches the rumored reports of its performance perfectly, as I said earlier in the thread, but that just doesn't seem to be the case. If it were 3SMs I'd be extremely satisfied with these clocks, but it just isn't.

???? Where?

No one's said anything on the SMs or core-counts.

Soroc

Forget about majority of 8th gen multiplatform games running on Switch. Smaller and simpler games like Rocket League could end up on it.

DQ11 will be a good benchmark for a purposley built multiplatform game that runs on Switch and PS4. Will they gimp PS4 version by designing the game for Switch, or will they compromise visuals a lot to get PS4 version running on Switch? We will known a lot more in 4 months.

They will probably just uprez and remove the bottom screen from the 3DS version for Switch. We still have no confirmation we are getting the PS4 version of DQ on Switch.

KAL2006

Banned

Posts like these are ridiculous

Nintendo didn't mislead anyone

They marketed this as a hybrid which is what it is. The games shown on the trailer were Wii U level graphics just as these leaked specs confirm. Seems like GAFers set themselves up for dissapointment here.

What's your opinion on the fact that there is at least one fan then? Thraktor's writeup did a good job of explaining why active cooling should not be necessary if the specs are as Digital Foundry is saying, in portable mode or console mode.

AntMurda

They will probably just uprez the 3DS version for Switch. We still have no confirmation we are getting the PS4 version of DQ on Switch.

You don't even know what you are talking about. Do you even know what the 3DS version looks like? It doesn't make sense on one screen. An unspectacular port of the PS4 version makes more sense.

pvpness

It is more powerful than the Wii U why wouldnt they call it a home console?

Because it's a handheld.

Posts like these are ridiculous

Nintendo didn't mislead anyone

They marketed this as a hybrid which is what it is. The games shown on the trailer were Wii U level graphics just as these leaked specs confirm. Seems like GAFers set themselves up for dissapointment here.

There are multiple links in this thread to nintendo.com where it says it's the next home console. I'm just going with what they're providing. I'm not disappointed. I expect this from Nintendo. I always look for the low end guess in the speculation threads and then I assume it's going to be a little less than that for Nintendo hardware. I just think it would be a million times better to market this as a way more powerful handheld than as a weak ass home console. Ghost Trick nailed it pages ago. I'd like to say that it'll be alright because Nintendo will price this bitch accordingly but... It's Nintendo. I won't be shocked by a 300-350 range at all.

bomblord1

Banned

If the previous leaked specs were correct 2SM's is impossible at those clocks as it wouldn't hit the leaked 1TF FP16.

KAL2006

Banned
I think we can rule out 2SM's just based on the fact this will be able to emulate Gamecube Games (per Eurogamer)

At least these specs basically confirm GameCube games will be native resolution and not be rendered in HD like Dolphin. For me that's dissapointment I may as well just play GameCube games on Dolphin

Deadbeat

Banned
Sony and MS have gone on record that they won't abandone the Ps4 and XBOne. Of course,that could just be lip service, but is unlikely that third parties with abandon those consoles either.
They wont right away. The question will be if games are made for the base consoles then ported up or made for the pro/scorpio and ported down. This is ignoring the fact that there is no proof of proper third party support. Only past experiences to see half assed support to eventual abandonment happen on Nintendo platforms.

LordKano

Thankfully we're less than one month away from the Switch event. Just imagine what nightmare it would have been if we got these incomplete informations in September or October.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom