• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Performance Analysis: Fallout 4

Kssio_Aug

Wow... what the fuck is all those 0fps sutters to the XB1 version?
How could people say they could not notice frame rate issues? lol

And that's why I believe developpers should lower the resolution when needed. Fuck it... 900p for a better frame-rate would, clearly, be the right way to go!

Damn there were a fair few comments about changing pre-orders over to X1 yesterday too. How people thought the issues would be *better* on the XB1 is beyond me.

Kezen

Banned
Welcome to next gen fellas

1447074740-capture.gif

This is quite a stark difference right there.

Dunkley

The 0fps is intentional as it simulates your character taking a short break to take in the scenery. The Xbox One version dynamically scales the framerate depending on your character's desire to savour the moment.

Bethesda again shows their mastery in creating cinematic experiences only to be seen in its' true form on the definite platform.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
After playing Batman Arkham Knight & Metal Gear Solid V. I honestly don't think the "it's open world therefore bad performance" excuse cuts it anymore.

Don't forget Witcher 3. Bethesda is just an incompetent fucking studio. The game looks and runs bad.

Javin98

Banned
LOL, the XB1 dropping to zero reminds me of Skyrim on PS3. Bethesda trying to make XB1 owners feel how PS3 owners did.

Jokes aside, this seems like a really crappy port on both consoles, honestly. Really glad I wasn't interested in Fallout 4 or any Bethesda games from the start. Hopefully patches will address the performance issues, but right now, PC is clearly the best platform to play this on, it seems.

Majanew

Banned
I hope those people in the other thread that were switching their PS4 versions for XB1 versions are ok.

Shame to see the frame-rate drop so often into the low 20s. That and loading times should have been top priorities for Bethesda. The graphics are already rough, and now us console gamers get poor performance to go with those graphics.

PSOreo

Well thats great I don't need to worry about buying it on PS4 now. Hope this gets fixed for everyone else though, there should always be a playable steady framerate no matter the platform.

So, on the technical side not really great on all consoles, with the PS4 (surprisingly for Bethesda) a little bit better?
Well, at least i'm calmed down about my decision to cancel my XOne Pip-Boy-Edition and go on with the PS4 one.

But Bethesda should really look into putting a bit more polish in such a high profile game, open world or not.

Dredd97

well I'll just sit this one out and wait for the GOTY edition in about 10 months time..

hopefully they'd have gotten their shit together by then...

I feel for the XB1 fans i really do, 0fps? i mean come on that's got to be a bug...

they need to start employing nexxus or bluepoint for the console versions as they just don't cut the mustard at it...

darkkain

WOW.... this loading textures and objects in 10 meters distance looks... terrible

It doesn't looks like actual gen :(

Hope story is good.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Didn't The Witcher 3 take like 10 patches before they got it stable?
X1 version was good at launch, several patches later and it ran worse, then better, then worse. It never reached these levels of incompetence tho. It also looks a generation better over Fallout 4.

Flintty

Sorry, I don't get what exactly is "pleasant" for PS4 players if the XBOX One edition is currently almost unplayable due to that bug (?). At least that's how I read the article.

Console warriors :( As to why the fact that the X1 version is worse than the less than perfect PS4 version is seen as a victory wil remain a mystery to me. Seems like playground stuff.

Kezen

Banned
We're hugely fond of this effect in Fallout 4, though on PS4 and Xbox One it is noticeably dialed down in quality compared to PC's top setting. In this case, something in the region of a 480x270 resolution is in play where geometry edges intersect with light shafts. It's a fraction of the full 1080p image, and creates a strange, dithered artifact at points, running at odds with the crispness of every other on-screen element. This isn't a complete deal-breaker though, and it takes the right angle to catch it

So better LOD, shadows and volumetric lighting on PC ?

Top Bottom