• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Performance Analysis: Fallout 4

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
From Eurogamer's review of the Xbox One version of Fallout 4:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-11-09-fallout-4-review

More troubling still, I've suffered an appalling frame rate that plummets to what appear to be single figures during moments of intense action, and lengthy pauses while the game hangs and decides if it wants to continue or not. I've only suffered one fatal crash in over 50 hours of play, but that's not really a record worth celebrating. Experience tells me that with any Bethesda RPG, such issues tend to get worse over time, as your save file balloons, rather than better.

Thanks Bethesda.

Angel_DvA

Performance are pretty okish on consoles but 0FPS ? WTF is this ? a screenshot ? lol...

I already bought it on Steam but the PS4 is the way to go on console as 99% of the time, great job overall.

Wow... what the fuck is all those 0fps sutters to the XB1 version?
How could people say they could not notice frame rate issues? lol

And that's why I believe developpers should lower the resolution when needed. Fuck it... 900p for a better frame-rate would, clearly, be the right way to go!

Yeah this is rediculous I just cancelled my Xbox one preorder. Gonna pick up the ps4 version tomorrow I guess.

Durante

Meanwhile, for those with PC as their platform of choice, all the signs look good for a smooth experience even on budget kit.
Not really surprising, on a traditionally CPU-limited engine.

Xbox One is unique in its suffering of a stuttering issue, halting the game experience for up to a second during play. It's a glaring hitch downward, and matching runs to the gates of Diamond City shows Xbox One dropping to a record 0fps (zero)
0fps (zero)

Shaq-points-laughs-and-leaves-press-conference.gif

Kssio_Aug

Althogh, I've watched an XB1 stream and I had not noticed those 0fps stutters in something like 30~40 minutes of gameplay. Maybe it's not THAT frequent as it seems to be in that video (or maybe I just missed it).

Otherwise, it sucks... if the game frame-rate drops like that so frequently, I'd say it's nearly unplayable.

Durante

With the requirements this game has ? I don't think so.
Also, no point in half assing it. Either go big or go home, so PC playthrough should be on ultra, the way it's meant to be.
This is a somewhat common sentiment, and one I don't understand. At all. In the least.

As long as some given PC settings provide a good tradeoff between performance and image quality on a given PC, that's a great level to play at.

"Ultra" shouldn't even run on any PC at the time of a game's release.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Having some fps dips on the console versions is acceptable. But zero is almost comical.

KevinG

Hours spent arguing in the other thread, some reporting no issues, some reporting major issues... Can we just look at it as there being various (unknown) factors that cause the framerate drops from one system to another?

I seriously don't believe that "0 fps" is actually thing in every experience. DF ran into a freeze/glitch in this particular section. I feel like all the people who have the Xbox One version would have reported in about the major, literally no frames, hiccup in their experience.

Can't help but laugh at the people who went crazy yesterday and switched their orders to the bone version. This is why you don't have knee jerk reactions to GAF impressions.

DukeBobby

I hope those people who said they were going to cancel their PS4 copy and get it on Xbox One weren't being serious.

Talk about jumping to conclusions.

I saw someone in the other thread that said the Xbox One would run better because of the marketing deal. Guess not!

And wow, that framerate is not very good, especially on X1. Hopefully they are hard at work optimizing the game as we speak.

On top of this, Xbox One is unique in its suffering of a stuttering issue, halting the game experience for up to a second during play. It's a glaring hitch downward, and matching runs to the gates of Diamond City shows Xbox One dropping to a record 0fps (zero) while PS4 turns the same corner at 28fps.

Those Xbox Exclusive Features are getting weird.

Saint9806

Althogh, I've watched an XB1 stream and I had not noticed those 0fps stutters in something like 30~40 minutes of gameplay. Maybe it's not THAT frequent as it seems to be in that video (or maybe I just missed it).

Otherwise, it sucks... if the game frame-rate drops like that so frequently, I'd say it's nearly unplayable.

The frame rate drops are frequent, but in no way is the game "not playable." I would say I ran into drops in frame rates on XB1, every 15 minutes of play or so.

Javin98

Banned
Come on, GAF, Bethesda did a great job. The drops in frame rate is actually a brilliant move to stress that the wasteland is contaminated with radiation and the effects of what seems to be time slowing down when it is inhaled. The reduced shadow distance on consoles also show us that the people in Fallout 4 suffer from brain disorder and short sightedness. I don't know about you, but I admire Bethesda's attention to detail.

Tenebrous

Hours spent arguing in the other thread, some reporting no issues, some reporting major issues... Can we just look at it as there being various (unknown) factors that cause the framerate drops from one system to another?

I seriously don't believe that "0 fps" is actually thing in every experience. DF ran into a freeze/glitch in this particular section. I feel like all the people who have the Xbox One version would have reported in about the major, literally no frames, hiccup in their experience.

Agreed, but if it is something that always happens at that one point, I expect Bethesda to fix it.
While breaking two other things at the same time.

I wonder how bad those drops on Xbox would be with my external drive. It's notably faster than the internal drive in most games.

sleepykyo

Bethseda continues to give zero fucks and Peter Hines continues to demonstrate marketing means lying. Same as last gen.

Can't help but laugh at the people who went crazy yesterday and switched their orders to the bone version. This is why you don't have knee jerk reactions to GAF impressions.

People want the best version for the money they are paying I don't blame them. It's sad that we can't trust developers and publishers to release games in a playable state. 0fps gtfo good thing Amazon didn't ship my order yet. Cancelled the preorder the second I read the article.

Theorry

That Deathclaw scene is very weird. Droping to 25fps on PS4 and stays 30fps on Xbox.
Looks to me this is unoptimized mess imo.

Nazo

Thank god for Digital Foundry. I sat here all day reading yesterdays frame rate thread worried that the game was going to be another shit show on Playstation. Now I feel a lot more confident in my choice of console.

This is a somewhat common sentiment, and one I don't understand. At all. In the least.

As long as some given PC settings provide a good tradeoff between performance and image quality on a given PC, that's a great level to play at.

"Ultra" shouldn't even run on any PC at the time of a game's release.

So this, 'Ultra' used to be the new bar for the next gen of GPUs to run at 30 and the gen after that to get 60. The last gen lasted so long it now means 'like the consoles but with higher res shadow maps & PP effects' which is a damn shame.

Still the old saw of 'wait for the modders to fix' continues to hold true for yet another Bethesda title.

Top Bottom