• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: PS4K / Neo spec leak is genuine, dev kits on their way to devs

Flopfan

that's great news. frame rate is a big deal for me. to have 60fps games on a console would be sweet.

waiting for that dark souls 3 neo patch with 60fps

MacTag

Banned
Why would this be a gamechanger?
If anything it means polaris is just another GCN-revision, which is arguably not too awesome.
Polaris is GCN 1.3, it's not a revision but the next generation of Graphics Core Next. Liverpool (PS4) and Durango (XOne) are GCN 1.1 cores for comparison.

Developers have the ability to add Neo support to their existing PlayStation 4 titles coming out in September via a day one patch, while dual base/Neo supported titles are expected to arrive from October onwards.

Probably the most noteworthy news, holiday 2016 release for the PS4K.

rfi4b96vhaue7smz3uhe.jpg

Yeeees.

danowat

Banned
That would just piss me off to no avail. I'd probably just drop Sony tbh. If I wanted incremental upgrades all the time I'd just go PC. Console gaming isn't using this system for a reason, it's all about value for money and longevity.

Hard to say really, but there are huge incentives for Sony to do so, must be a heck of a lot cheaper to design and manufacture an incremental upgrade that it does a whole new architecture.

I would imagine it would hinge on the amount of people go for this one that would be the deciding factor.

Blanquito

Read the post of the guy I replied to with that comment..........

That would just piss me off to no avail. I'd probably just drop Sony tbh. If I wanted incremental upgrades all the time I'd just go PC. Console gaming isn't using this system for a reason, it's all about value for money, longevity, and pure closed platform priority.

Make it 3-4 and sure. As long as they get it right first time this time.

No idea how my younger cousins etc will afford one, but no doubt they'll want one.

Why would you think that they'll do an upgrade in 2 years when they've waited 3 to do this one? It seems like 3 years would be the cadence they're on

DF seems to think being polaris will give it a extra boost in performance. we really don't know much advantages polaris can offer being that it's new tech.

Well, it'll get the compression stuff that that 3xx and 2xx series have which means not only more bandwidth but better usage of that bandwidth.

Because their competition is releasing new hardware...

That's not really a reason. Why should they care about their competition releasing new hardware with the sales that they have?

The real reason for this is to push 4K content in general. It isn't meant to be console war fodder

They don't need to touch the gaming capabilities for 4K content. Particularly because it's unlikely that any of the games are actually going to run in native 4K.

There's also no indication at all that any of the functionality found in PlayStation VR's external processing box will make its way into the Neo hardware, though we would expect that the same base/Neo spec differentiation will apply to those titles just as they would to any PS4 game.

I wonder how many posts in this thread will be questioning if this is still meant for VR. At least it is in the OP this time.

I know that there's all this talk of one game, standard PS4 owners not being left out etc , buy surely if the uptake on this thing is good, devs are going to target Neo as the primary platform and effectively botch the standard PS4 version. Because if the dictat from Sony is that game must 'work' on ps4 , why bother with all that extra grunt? Surely there will have to be a compromise and inevitable shitstorm sometime, or am I missing something obvious.

stryke

I don't understand this bit -

Here's where things get interesting - the 36 compute unit count cannot comfortably fit any of AMD's existing GPUs.

Don't we already have AMD GPUs with CUs that go into the 60s?

edit - oh I forgot this might be 14nm

Best part is that some of them not only clearly believe it now but seem super excited now that they can't hand wave it away and they know Sony is actually doing it.

I'm having trouble even dealing right now. Basically all this just reaffirms what every level headed person on GAF has been saying for weeks. Now all the people that were freaking out are like "sounds good".

danowat

Banned
Why would you think that they'll do an upgrade in 2 years when they've waited 3 to do this one? It seems like 3 years would be the cadence they're on

2 years, 3 years, whatever, either way it's bad.

Console gaming should be (per platform) a single tier system, a two tier system is lose / lose for everyone, who do devs cater for?, the high classes or the plebs with their lowly vanilla PS4's? either way, one user base is likely to lose out.

Ricky_R

I'm starting to doubt whether I should get Uncharted 4 on PS4, tbh. I can enjoy 30fps games just fine, but playing Uncharted 4 with the visuals looking like they do now, at least, would be fucking great.

I mean, I enjoyed TLOU on PS3, but my experience with the PS4 version was far better.

Linkyn

I'm a bit confused concerning the disc drive / disc format discussion. Suppose they do opt for a drive that supports higher space formats and you see discs printed to take advantage of this, wouldn't that create exactly the kind of compatibility issues that the display mode dichotomy seeks to prevent?

Polaris is GCN 1.3, it's not a revision but the next generation of Graphics Core Next. Liverpool (PS4) and Durango (XOne) are GCN 1.1 cores for comparison.
Next Generation? I would prefer if we kept our cool here and reserved ourselves from using such phrasing that fuddle conversation and makes things seem larger than they really are.
The fact that it is a decimal integer change in naming tells you it is a revision. Just like DX11 and DX 11.1. Or GCN 1.0 vs GCN 1.1

Or Flash Player 15 and Flash Player 15.1

It still uses the GCN layout then. It has to, otherwise it could not BC PS4 stuff with ease.
DF seems to think being polaris will give it a extra boost in performance. we really don't know much advantages polaris can offer being that it's new tech.

I mean, sure. I just do not think such phrases as "game changer" or "next generation" apply here.... the just make things seem larger than they really are.

spons

Gold Member
Well, will buy when it comes out.
Games in 4K though? Who would have thought.

Hell, you can use a scaler chip to output 8k, doesn't make anything natively run at that resolution.

It Sony's going to claim games "run" at 4k I imagine a strong backlash will happen.

That's not really a reason. Why should they care about their competition releasing new hardware with the sales that they have?

They don't need to touch the gaming capabilities for 4K content. Particularly because it's unlikely that any of the games are actually going to run in native 4K.

The first reason was a joke.

Improving the hardware allows for better scaling and the use of better assets. Delivering the best 4k experience possible at a consumer friendly price is the purpose of this machine. You'll also see Sony's 4k media offerings all throughout this thing.

On top of that, while the documentation says that the hard drive will remain the same (Sony has several in circulation, so we assume it means 2.5-inch laptop drives generally) there are no indications of any changes to the Blu-ray drive. This is surprising, as we would have assumed that Sony would take this opportunity to support the new UHD 4K movie standard, supporting standard 50GB discs along with 66GB and 100GB variants. For now it seems that developers are set to stick with 50GB of storage.

1045.gif

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Well I guess I'll sell my PS4 and upgrade, not really happy about it but will do it for improved frame rate.

vpance

Any and every multiplat game and multiple dev presentations at GDC and siggraph? Jaguar is slow and devs know it.

LODs and shadow settings in multiplatform games show this quite well.

Like the DF article states, I am not sure what this device accomplishes. Not enough for 4K perfect scale, not enough for a perfect scale to 60fps (CPU).

Framerate will be boosted nonetheless. I wouldn't be surprised if some rock solid locked 30FPS games can hit 60. Games like ACU? Maybe not.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
so it's like having an already lopsided PC with a gash processor and mediocre graphics card and spending $400 for a mild overclock and a new decent graphics card, factoring a new case, psu, disc drives and motherboard into the cost because that's how you roll.

wapplew

psychology. It happens because majority of people bought their PS4s one or two years ago, so many think PS4 is 2 years old.

Plus many first party haven't release anything on PS4 yet, make it feel like PS4 still haven't reach its peak yet.

thatJohann

I bet games are gonna run poorly in 4K resolution with those specs so it will be like 1080p games running ok and 4K games will run like current games with frame drops and screen tearing etc

Can someone explain to me how the PS4k will be a beat with that same restricting CPU?

Also I'm assuming the design size wise will be similar to a PS4, a slightly more powerful PS4 will produce some heat indeed.

Blanquito

2 years, 3 years, whatever, either way it's bad.

Console gaming should be (per platform) a single tier system, a two tier system is lose / lose for everyone, who do devs cater for?, the high classes or the plebs with their lowly vanilla PS4's? either way, one user base is likely to lose out.

Hey, I'm not arguing against your feelings on the topic. Simply arguing that your math was off.

alpha69

I'm really interested on how the BASE and NEO versions would work for devs. If it's as simple as changing graphics settings on PC games then I see no problem on devs to support both. But if it requires a lot of coding, it might just end up like the N3DS, nobody will ever utilize its power.

Hell, you can use a scaler chip to output 8k, doesn't make anything natively run at that resolution.

It Sony's going to claim games "run" at 4k I imagine a strong backlash will happen.

yeah, exactly.
I'll just buy it to play games in 1080p with better fps.
Maybe better iQ?

Wow, i totally thought it would be mainly for 4K blurays...

MacTag

Banned
What's "improved GCN"? I doubt it's polaris.
Probably either Fiji (1.2) or Polaris (1.3). Polaris lines up with the PS4k timeline though and being on 14nm makes it attractive for a console APU. The modest improvements on CPU and RAM mean more budget might go to a newer GPU design/node too.

Elandyll

Banned
Wait, PS4K at $349? 2x GPU, UHD bluray drive, just $349? How's that possible?
I think he meant for BF possibly.

The first goal (E3) is obviously a $299/ $399 scale.
The improved GPU and (even if not noted) a UHDBD drive (and possibly dual band Wifi) would probably eat the additional $100 budget.

Putty

I'm starting to doubt whether I should get Uncharted 4 on PS4, tbh. I can enjoy 30fps games just fine, but playing Uncharted 4 with the visuals looking like they do now, at least, would be fucking great.

I mean, I enjoyed TLOU on PS3, but my experience with the PS4 version was far better.

You want to wait another 6+ months? 8)

Top Bottom