• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: PS4K / Neo spec leak is genuine, dev kits on their way to devs

dracula_x

I'm starting to doubt whether I should get Uncharted 4 on PS4, tbh. I can enjoy 30fps games just fine, but playing Uncharted 4 with the visuals looking like they do now, at least, would be fucking great.

I mean, I enjoyed TLOU on PS3, but my experience with the PS4 version was far better.

but what if U4 will never be patched for "Neo" mode?

lame gag

Banned
I'm not upgrading until it's really cheap and makes me consider actually supporting next gen. Well done boys. You're doing so well, why pull this shit and piss a lot of people off?

YN12

Banned
This is really good news for people like me who havent bought a PS4 yet but want one.

I could either get a regular PS4 for less money,

Or a PS4K for about the same price its sold now.

To be honest, this is win-win for me.

Tankard

When I last reported on this new hardware, I wasn't quite sure why Sony was making it, bearing in mind its current domination of the console sector. Even with access to a treasure trove of Neo information, I'm still not sure.
Pretty much

Pretty much

Yes, I don't get it. This is what I posted yesterday:

I just wish i could understand why.

1. PS4 is selling fantastically well, making the entire Sony company turn their eyes to them, system is making profit. They are smashing their competition everywhere despite any change they tried or try to make.

2. Who asked for this? There is probably a proportion of a 1 gazillion to 1 of people who asks for freaking Folders on the system instead of a upgraded PS4 at this point.

Is this a reaction move because Microsoft is doing it? Or because NX might be more powerful? If so, they openly said they don't understand the reason PS4 was so successfull, and seems like they still don't.

Do they think they will end up losing by being the most underpowered machine if NX launches with better specs and Microsoft revises their console too? They will be surprised to find out that's their brand and the fair price/more than capable machine is making them a huge success.

Blanquito

Sad day. Went from a must buy with a UHD Blu-ray to meh I have a PC. Guess we're waiting for PS5.

If all games must support ps4 and come on one disk, then it makes sense that they wouldn't allow devs to target a UHD drive's space, since that would mean that ps4 owners couldn't play that disk.

Doesn't necessarily mean that ps4k doesn't have a UHD drive
Because its been 2 years and 5 months since the PS4 released?
Oh I didn't know ps4k was already released. Can you show me where I can buy one?

K' Dash

Can someone explain to me how the PS4k will be a beat with that same restricting CPU?

Also I'm assuming the design size wise will be similar to a PS4, a slightly more powerful PS4 will produce some heat indeed.

Don't you dare bring logic to this thread! We're going to play Uncharted 4 in 4K@60fps, can't you read?![/s]

I think this is not a big jump, we need more info though.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Be interesting to see what kind of improvements we see in Neo mode for games. As someone who also games on PC the only big improvement for me would be system exclusives and I'm not sure if that's worth. Now watch me fold quicker than a red hot mars bar and pick one up :p

Looking forward to seeing what Microsofts 1.5 is like, assuming we get one.

Damn, E3 is gonna be magnificent this year, can't wait.

No. Samsung's standalone 4K blu-ray player is $399 by itself. Base PS4 could hit $250 though

It has yet to be confirmed if the PS4K has a 4K blu-ray drive. I think Sony would be mad not to include one.

Yeah, there's no way.

I'm thinking 499 with the Current PS4 stays at it's current price.

The original thread said it would be $499 if they upgraded the CPU, if not it would be $399. The PS4K seems to have gone for the latter.

My guess would be $399 for PS4K and $299 for PS4

Framerate will be boosted nonetheless. I wouldn't be surprised if some rock solid locked 30FPS games can hit 60.
They would have to be fully GPU limited for that to be the case, to the point where the CPU could manage everything still under 16.6 ms to feed the GPU.

I honestly doubt devs leave 40-60% of the CPU time on the table in 30hz games.

Ricky_R

You want to wait another 6+ months? 8)

Haha I know, but considering that it's almost certain that we will be able to play a better version of the game not THAT long from now (could be years away if the scenario was different), it really makes me think if I should just wait. I've grown patient over the years, and while ND games are possibly my favorites right now, I still can hold my urge.

but what if U4 will never be patched for "Neo" mode?

In that case, I will obviously get the PS4 version. I wouldn't really miss much if I wait to see if the game will release on the improved console or not. I will be more vulnerable to spoilers though.

I am surprised that UHD 4k blu ray support for movies has not been confirmed yet for the PS4k, because Sony Pictures is releasing UHD 4k blu rays this year.

This and NX coming in the near future means only one thing...

tumblr_lok8u3mmci1qj4pjzo1_500.gif

Being a nerd has become increasingly expensive as the years go by :(

I'm hyped for both, though

Jonboy

Why, why, why didn't they go with the more powerful CPU?

Should've thrown a much better CPU in there and went to $449 or $499.

teiresias

No 4K Blu-Ray drive? Haha, worthless box then. The release of this thing is probably the biggest unforced error in the industry since the PS3 at this rate.

Just such a crazy turn of events. A few weeks ago i had never thought this was going to happen. Not when it's barely three year since its launch and we've already seen graphics that make your mouth fall off.....so to speak. It all just seems so unnessecary.

I am definitely 100% now waiting for Sony to make it official during E3 and hold off on buying a PS4. Even if that might mean waiting till early next year.

And what i also really wonder now is, what about MS and Nintendo? If the reports are true about NX, it's clearly more powerful than PS4 but likely below PS4K. MS?.........

Putty

Haha I know, but considering that it's almost certain that we will be able to play a better version of the game not THAT long from now (could be years away if the scenario was different), it really makes me think if I should just wait. I've grown patient over the years, and while ND games are possibly my favorites right now, I still can hold my urge.

Just buy the f*****g thing!!!

I will be loll'n so hard when this happens.
Consider Nintendo's history with stuff like this, I would not be that surprised if it happens. Easier to stop producing SKUs and just sell the stuff that is not selling.

I am surprised that UHD 4k blu ray support for movies has not been confirmed yet for the PS4k, because Sony Pictures is releasing UHD 4k blu rays this year.
It does seem odd to not upgrade the drive. So 4K content will probably be all digital.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Will games with performance issues need a Neo mode or will the extra power just clean the frame rate up? Like Until Dawn runs in the low 20s most of the time, would that now run at 30 without being patched?

spons

Gold Member
If all games must support ps4 and come on one disk, then it makes sense that they wouldn't allow devs to target a UHD drive's space, since that would mean that ps4 owners couldn't play that disk.

Doesn't necessarily mean that ps4k doesn't have a UHD drive

There's no such thing as a "UHD" drive. The PS4 and Xbox One already include one: the blu-ray drive.

To decode UHD Blu-ray movies you need an HEVC decoder though. If Sony does not include that they're dumb as a rock.

MrBigBoy

Consider Nintendo's history with stuff like this, I would not be that surprised if it happens. Easier to stop producing SKUs and just sell the stuff that is not selling.
At least I'm hoping for a price drop for the regular PS4, so that used ones will become cheaper.

The first reason was a joke.

Improving the hardware allows for better scaling and the use of better assets. Delivering the best 4k experience possible at a consumer friendly price is the purpose of this machine. You'll also see Sony's 4k media offerings all throughout this thing.

But it still doesn't explain why the gaming upgrade is necessary? They could do the media upgrade to the PS4 without messing with anything that'd impact the visuals. The PS4 is currently tracking ahead of where it was last year. Why mess with that?

cggp3xmwiaarwgu25f8c.jpg

So, this year alone you've got people buying PS4's at a record pace, and yet you're about to tell every one of those people in a few months that had they just waited they could've got an even more powerful PS4. As there was no way for those people to even know that Sony would be pulling this shit. That's why DF is asking "why". From Sony's perspective this makes no sense as everything is going right for them.

So 60fps uncharted4 remaster when Neo launches then ?
First reveal footage was Running on ps4 Neo confirmed ?
Still getting the New ps4. Giving my current ps4 to Family i guess.

bidguy

Banned
Just such a crazy turn of events. A few weeks ago i had never thought this was going to happen. Not when it's barely three year since its launch and we've already seen graphics that make your mouth fall off.....so to speak. It all just seems so unnessecary.

I am definitely 100% now waiting for Sony to make it official during E3 and hold off on buying a PS4. Even if that might mean waiting till early next year.

And what i also really wonder now is, what about MS and Nintendo? If the reports are true about NX, it's clearly more powerful than PS4 but likely below PS4K. MS?.........

cant see MS NOT reacting to this i mean xbone is weak enough as is ... now theres gonna be 3? stronger consoles ? i dont believe it

takriel

if the PS4k can play most games at 1080/60 I might buy it. I've always wanted a small form factor PC for my living room just so that I can play games at 60 fps on my big TV. This might be it for me.

Top Bottom