• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: PS4K / Neo spec leak is genuine, dev kits on their way to devs

Occam

"On top of that, while the documentation says that the hard drive will remain the same (Sony has several in circulation, so we assume it means 2.5-inch laptop drives generally) there are no indications of any changes to the Blu-ray drive. This is surprising, as we would have assumed that Sony would take this opportunity to support the new UHD 4K movie standard, supporting standard 50GB discs along with 66GB and 100GB variants. For now it seems that developers are set to stick with 50GB of storage."

What the fuck?! No BDXL (100GB/128GB)??? Are they insane?

oooo+ouch.gif

Freddo

Kinda pleased I haven't bought a PS4 yet. And I don't have much of a point in doing so until Nier: Automata and Yakuza 0 are here, and PS4 Neo should be out by then :)

PS4K - $399
PS4 - removed from shelves
Yeah, the Base PS4 will be gone. Neo is what we get instead of a slim model, and when a slim model been release, the older model always been removed from the shelves.

Can anyone on here with knowledge of such matters comment on the difficulty or otherwise of satisfying both user bases in terms of additional dev time, compromises expected etc. Because this 2 tier everyone's a winner spiel sounds too good to be true to me.

Curufinwe

But it still doesn't explain why the gaming upgrade is necessary? They could do the media upgrade to the PS4 without messing with anything that'd impact the visuals. The PS4 is currently tracking ahead of where it was last year. Why mess with that?

cggp3xmwiaarwgu25f8c.jpg

So, this year alone you've got people buying PS4's at a record pace, and yet you're about to tell every one of those people in a few months that had they just waited they could've got an even more powerful PS4. As there was no way for those people to even know that Sony would be pulling this shit. That's why DF is asking "why". From Sony's perspective this makes no sense as everything is going right for them.

Sony are just getting ahead of the game. The PS4 will continue to be the dominant platform, especially as it gets closer to $200.

At least I'm hoping for a price drop for the regular PS4, so that used ones will become cheaper.
Probably will, they are adapting the Apple strategy. You can still buy an iPad Air 2.

I just don't get it. WHy fuck over the loyal people that bought the base PS4 and come out with this new iteration?
You can ask Apple the same question as well. Versions in-between didn't happen until iPhone 3.

That would just piss me off to no avail. I'd probably just drop Sony tbh. If I wanted incremental upgrades all the time I'd just go PC. Console gaming isn't using this system for a reason, it's all about value for money, longevity, and pure closed platform priority.

I'll revisit this when Microsoft announces their upgrade.

People should probably read tbe articles, or at least the briefs.

It's been repeated many times that the PS4K "NEO" will be sold alongside the PS4.

PS4 1080p $299
NEO 4K $399
At those price points, I don't know why anybody would buy a PS4. You get 100% more GPU performance for just 33% extra $.

platina

Basically the same CPU with a higher clock? How is that supposed to make the games run at higher framerates?
Assassins creed unity was running at a more stable frame rate on the Xbox one when it launched. That was until the ps4 version got patched. iirc that game was cpu bound. The difference was 1.6 vs 1.75. I'm sure 2.1 ghz will provide some frame rate boost over 1.6 lol

Basically the same CPU with a higher clock? How is that supposed to make the games run at higher framerates?

It's not.

SURPRISE!

As usual, devs will have to build their games from the ground up to be 60fps.

And if this beefy new GPU is anything to go buy, devs like Naughty Dog will simply turn up the eye-candy @ 30fps.

All the weakness of the PS4 are present in this refresh and amplified for good measure.

If this DevCon reveals that the thing comes with Wireless AC, I'll bite, but I'm not expecting miracles right now.

To be honest there's actually a potential reason for the dev kits having a regular blu ray drive. Since after all games will still be limited to 50GB disc as they need to be compatible with PS4.

750ti price drop incoming?

960/970 price drop. Just kidding Nvidia is great at curbing their cards off the market as to not diminish their value. So people can't simply SLI later with a second cheaper card as performance weakens comparatively because they remain expensive.

AMD is the choice to go here. A R9 380x and a i3 6100 will likely give you better performance than what you'll get from the Neo.

DGaio

Is it me or are they going for an "Apple" like cycle sort of iPhone 6 > iPhone 6S > iPhone 7, but instead of the Apple's 2 year cycle, they're doing a 6 year cycle one? Such as PS4 > PS4K > PS5.

Metfanant

Why, why, why didn't they go with the more powerful CPU?

Should've thrown a much better CPU in there and went to $449 or $499.

Honest question...where does this mythical more powerful CPU come from?...

Does AMD have an APU capable of being designed around one of their desktop processors? Do they have a more powerful mobile CPU designed for APU applications?

The answers to both questions AFAIK...is a resounding no...

So unless they want to redesign the hardware to move away from an APU all together, they are stuck with Jaguar, with a healthy over clock...

No 4K Blu-Ray drive? Haha, worthless box then. The release of this thing is probably the biggest unforced error in the industry since the PS3 at this rate.

Wait, so because UHD Bluray is not mentioned in documents dealing with game development (where it's irrelevant) is proof of no 4k Bluray?

Assassins creed unity was running at a more stable frame rate on the Xbox one when it launched. That was until the ps4 version got patched. The difference was 1.6 vs 1.75. I'm sure 2.1 ghz will provide some frame rate boost over 1.6 lol

Across all cores that's basically 4 Ghz of additional theoretical computing power.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
People should probably read tbe articles, or at least the briefs.

It's been repeated many times that the PS4K "NEO" will be sold alongside the PS4.

PS4 1080p $299
NEO 4K $399

won't last. doesn't make sense to continue to front the manufacturing costs for two nigh identical machines if one of them makes 25% more profit, doesn't make sense for retailers to stock it either - especially knowing how well the PS4 did for $399.

OG PS4 is fucking dead.

With such a shitty ass CPU the fucks the point in this thing. Hello 30fps my old friend

they can charge more for something that costs the same to manufacture. that and they got wind of MS doing it too and couldn't face the digital foundry articles.

They seem to be going all-in on PSVR. The NEO is likely just a tool to appeal to the base who want better running VR games. The base PS4 will likely play VR at sub-optimal resolutions to maximize performance. Sony will likely push the NEO to the VR crowd adamant about maximizing the capabilities of the new hardware.

So where are we all?
pS1NOWU.png

I'm at number 3 right now.
Probably #4, but I think I am getting close to #5. I would like to afford VR.
Been drifting away from mainstream console games for awhile now. I do not enjoy go nuts over stuff like Dark Souls 3.

However, Ratchet and Clank is awesome.

mcfrank

Is it me or are they going for an "Apple" like cycle sort of iPhone 6 > iPhone 6S > iPhone 7, but instead of the Apple's 2 year cycle, they're doing a 6 year cycle one? Such as PS4 > PS4K > PS5.

There are worse things to do than emulate the most successful company in the world, from a business perspective.

Velkyn

E3 will be make or break for this to be honest.

If they have no clear upgrade path for people who were early adopters, there are going to be a loooooot of pissed off people after E3. I'm getting "$599 US dollars!" vibes.

This E3 is going to go down in history, one way or another.

Curufinwe

won't last. doesn't make sense to continue to front the manufacturing costs for two nigh identical machines if one of them makes 25% more profit, doesn't make sense for retailers to stock it either - especially knowing how well the PS4 did for $399.

OG PS4 is fucking dead.

Unsupported assumption followed by outlandish conclusion.

Top Bottom