• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: PS4K / Neo spec leak is genuine, dev kits on their way to devs

dealer-

From what I understand, there will not be two SKUs of PS4 games, there will be one PS4 game you buy and it will inherently include a standard and Neo mode?

That's perfectly fine IMO.

How will this work, standard on disc with Neo users downloading an update?

jschreier

Which is why this whole Kotaku rumor reeks of bullshit, they are claiming 4k gaming.
Imagine the price on a console that's going to run games at 4k. What's it gonna be 1000 bucks? lol Kotaku
Time to ban Kotaku.
Well, yeah. That's what I mean^^ Probably just some Kotaku pipe dream.
Slow news week/month/season probably.
lmao @ Kotaku basically lighting a fire of speculation and walking away. It will continue to burn until E3, where the entire discussion will likely be rendered moot (when nothing is relealed), because 'Sony doesn't comment on rumors'
NFqhR98.gif
This is giving me 'Sony too!' of yore teas, tbh.
This is making me all misty-eyed for the time when Kotaku was banned.
Typical Kotaku nonsense. I do not believe this PS 4k gaming nonsense one second.
I can't believe how long this topic has ran with people actually thinking it could be true!

1) It's a Kotaku lie to generate ad revenue before they die.

2) People begged for a PSP with dual sticks and Sony refused because they know hardware revisions with different set ups split the user base.

TL'DR: Kotaku made it all up for click bait.

Guys, ps4.5 /ps4k is not true and is totally made up by kotaku to generate clicks.

Now Hulk Hogan has pretty much killed gawker and all its sites, they need to earn as much money as quick as they can.

This story is an ad revenue cash grab from Kotaku, and should not be taken seriously.
-----
Also expect more cash grab story's in the new few weeks from ALL gawker sites.
1) why do Sony need to make a statement every time Kotaku invents a story? If they did they would get nothing else done ;)

2) "Clearly happening"? No. Not a single piece of evidence supports it.

lol

TedMilk

As always, for me this will depend solely on the games and what developers choose to use the extra power for. Wait and see!

So that weak CPU is confirmed now? LOL, you should have invested in a better CPU Sony.

Jaguar/Puma (Puma only offered power efficiency improvements over Jaguar, IIRC) is still AMD's best mobile chip and Zen is nowhere in sight. What would they have upgraded to? Desktop Excavator cores are nearly 2.5x larger and they have to stick this into an APU package.

this if from the DF article, this could be a game changer.

What game changer ? This is just the only way to get a 36CU AMD GPU in a console form factor. Keep in mind this class of GPU eats up to 200 to 250W alone. The fact that you get such a big chip in a 100W tdp is already the "game changer".

any word on a better quality controller (better quality materials and build. Don't change anything about the controller otherwise please)?

Wait, PS4K at $349? 2x GPU, UHD bluray drive, just $349? How's that possible?

Die shrinks and the factories Sony uses will probably already be making normal Polaris GPUs for MSI, Gigabyte, etc which means pretty good yields and cheap for the factories since they will be routinely pushing those out.

daveo42

Banned
I think they want to sell it at a profit at $399.

They also have to work with whatever APU they can get from AMD at the moment. Not a great boost, but better than what we have right now. Expecting most framerate gains to come from GPGPU compute with the added bandwidth, higher clock and extra available RAM.

Vinland

Banned
Well, I can't wait for gamestop to announce a trade in path. I got an extra ps4 lying around that can be a sacrifice. Would like a dark souls 3 60fps patch. Will be interesting to see the Next Xbox reveal. I'd like a patch for Sunset overdrive to 1080 native patch.

Z3M0G

there are no indications of any changes to the Blu-ray drive. This is surprising, as we would have assumed that Sony would take this opportunity to support the new UHD 4K movie standard, supporting standard 50GB discs along with 66GB and 100GB variants. For now it seems that developers are set to stick with 50GB of storage.

Does this part make sense? Shouldn't Sony be doing everything they can to support all forms of 4K movie disks?

The other day I saw lots of 4K blurays on shelves in Best Buy... I don't shop much anymore so this was a surprise to me. What are these exactly?

nib95

Banned
Nah, there'll just be another incremental hardware upgrade in two years.

That would just piss me off to no avail. I'd probably just drop Sony tbh. If I wanted incremental upgrades all the time I'd just go PC. Console gaming isn't using this system for a reason, it's all about value for money, longevity, and pure closed platform priority.

Yeah.

They may very well release PS5 two years later...

Make it 3-4 and sure. As long as they get it right first time this time.

Trust me, I'm not a big fan of this myself. Being a teenager, it's often hard to convince your parents to buy you something new. Which is why I hope there is a nice trade in deal.

No idea how my younger cousins etc will afford one, but no doubt they'll want one.

Why would this be a gamechanger?
If anything it means polaris is just another GCN-revision, which is arguably not too awesome.

Why would that be huge?

Our concern was that PS4's low-level APIs may not be compatible with the newer architecture, meaning problems running older games, but it seems that this is not an issue. And the good news here is that Polaris' efficiency improvements could add still further to the expected increase in performance. Certainly, we should expect to see cumulative improvements to memory compression, which should help us to get more out of the constricted 256-bit GDDR5 interface. To the best of our knowledge, there were no such technologies in place on the original PlayStation 4.

DF seems to think being polaris will give it a extra boost in performance. we really don't know much advantages polaris can offer being that it's new tech.

Breakage

Sony seemingly acknowledges the need to integrate the two models of PlayStation 4 available simultaneously on the market - internally dubbed as 'Base' and 'Neo'. There will be no games exclusive to the Neo model, every title will be available on both, and there's no suggestion of VR-exclusive Neo modes at this point. Developers are prohibited from creating Neo-exclusive gameplay features, and enhancements are expected to be graphical and performance-based in nature. Gamers on both systems will be tied into the same ecosystem, meaning that users of both models will be competing against one another in online games. The user interface and PSN systems will also be identical.

If all this is true, it makes this mid-gen upgrade even more pointless imo. It's always gonna be held back by the base PS4.

Top Bottom