• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: PS4K / Neo spec leak is genuine, dev kits on their way to devs

Gumbie

To be fair, the "PS4 Neo" is still a rumor until confirmed by Sony. So, maybe don't call out others until there's facts? LOL?

latest

AP90

Looks decent, so now for the price.
-----
So what did they do to boost GDDR5 Bandwidth?

And I was really hoping that Sony would push the cpu bar with there update.. Was really hoping for 2.5ghz or greater with the revision as it would help tremendously for open world games.. (but then again its jaguar)

So, this year alone you've got people buying PS4's at a record pace, and yet you're about to tell every one of those people in a few months that had they just waited they could've got an even more powerful PS4. As there was no way for those people to even know that Sony would be pulling this shit.

This is true for every single console generation, whether it's three years or five.

platina

Interesting, so devs are forced to develop their games with an improved Neo mode?
Sounds as easy as raising the resolution to 1440p injecting better aa, raising frame rates? Those things are easy to implement and I'm sure will not be a "pain in the ass."

vpance

They would have to be fully GPU limited for that to be the case, to the point where the CPU could manage everything still under 16.6 ms to feed the GPU.

I honestly doubt devs leave 40-60% of the CPU time on the table in 30hz games.

Res boost will be the priority for most of the Neo modes, I suspect. There are always outliers of course.

danowat

Banned
Sounds as easy as raising the resolution to 1440p injecting better as, raising frame rates? Those things are easy to implement and I'm sure will not be a "pain in the ass."

Is it really as simple as hitting an "increase resolution and FPS" button?

Really interested to hear more developers take on this.

People should probably read tbe articles, or at least the briefs.

It's been repeated many times that the PS4K "NEO" will be sold alongside the PS4.

PS4 1080p $299
NEO 4K $399

reading is for squares. people just want to post their "concerns" and the first thing that comes to mind. For example:

Sony is going to gimp PS4 games and there will be NEO exclusives. Also, BANANA.

Edit:Wrong quote

Eh either way

How many times have devs showed games running on a PC these things can be scaled pretty easily to different hardware.

Caayn

Hell, you can use a scaler chip to output 8k, doesn't make anything natively run at that resolution.

It Sony's going to claim games "run" at 4k I imagine a strong backlash will happen.
Don't worry soon people will claim that "up-rendering" the image is just as good as rendering it at 3840*2160.

FelipeMGM

TBH this doesnt sound too bad for current PS4 owners. Also, I wonder if this rumours will have a big impact on April and May NPD. It didnt really hurt march

Am I missing something?....what the hell is Neo?

I can't get to the link as I'm at work. Assuming it's the console's codename? If so...the Matrix throwback...oh jeez!

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Unsupported assumption followed by outlandish conclusion.

AMD have no reason to continue with their old fab processes, sony using obsolete tech would incur costs that'd be better spent on a faster chip from AMDs current/future fab processes.

RK128

Very curious to see how the impacts sales of the PS4 now that this is becoming a more legitimate rumor.

If anything, it will either do the following:
-People having doubts regarding the PlayStation 5 when its announced
-Most will get this over PS VR (if its launching this Fall)
-People will flock to get cheap PS4's (sub-200 bucks likely)

I fall into the later camp, as I don't own a PS4 yet and would love to get one for 200-250 for a handful of games (FFXV, Ratchet & Clank, Persona 5, Sonic 25th Anniversary, ect). Have no interest in VR what so ever, so completely fine skipping out on that.

I feel that people who got PS4's day one will feel mixed on this announcement; if a parent bought their child a PS4 last holiday and learns how this new one is more powerful, I can clearly picture the parent being annoyed, as the child will ask for a new PlayStation despite just getting one.

Gamers will be even more mixed on this. We are already seeing it here, with many being upset with the rumor (becoming more real by the day) and outright desiring leaving gaming if this is true. I fell into this camp originally but over time, I realized that with the Xbox One on the market, the PS4 will still have good running games, as that isn't the lowest SKU to target.

Either way, interested to see how Sony handles the announcement and how this affects future showings of their first party line up.

King_Moc

Banned
Well, the extra gpu power could give you 1440p at similar frame rates, but with that meagre processor bump I'm not expecting too much here.

Ill be going with whichever console has better specs / controls . Ms fucked up with the Tv integration / specs but I still prefer there controllers / first party games / online network, ps4 is my go to third party machine due to the better performance and although I skipped on the wiiu if the nx has no stupid gimmicks and solid games that may end up on my radar again.

So I'll just keep sticking with my PS4/one combo until all the future plans are revealed (it's going to be a huge e3)

belmonkey

So wasn't the Polaris 10 with 2304 shaders shown being near as strong as a Fury-level Gpu? Wouldn't that actually be easy 4k versions from current 1080p games? Even the R9 390x is close to doing that quite a bit. All assuming the thing is actually using Polaris. At the low tdp of ~100w tho, it kinda sounds like by that point, that Gpu would be like what the 7850 was to the other options in 2013; a mid-range option.

It's all but confirmed by now ffs....LOL
Exactly. It's not confirmed.

We can talk about Neo and have fun dissecting what may be and how it'll affect the industry; I'm not denying that. But to be an asshole for asshole's sack over something that is still rumor and conjecture is pretty low.
Ah, yes, because apparently the world around me is on fire and I'm crying tears to extinguish it. I'm saying don't be a dick to other people in the community until it's justifiably so. But clearly you, too, aren't capable of such level-headedness.

Javin98

Banned
Don't worry soon people will claim that "up-rendering" the image is just as good as rendering it at 3840*2160.
Dude, just stop. No one has said this and if someone did, you can rightfully laugh at their face. You have been making some pretty hyperbolic parody posts of what PS4 fans supposedly say and I find it annoying.

Tobor

I wonder if there will be a rear USB port on the Neo?

I'm buying one regardless but that would be sweet icing on the cake.

Can anyone on here with knowledge of such matters comment on the difficulty or otherwise of satisfying both user bases in terms of additional dev time, compromises expected etc. Because this 2 tier everyone's a winner spiel sounds too good to be true to me.

It all depends on how serious Sony is about keeping the two experiences palatable. This sort of thing has been happening on the PC for years, where you can still have an enjoyable and stable experience without having the top-level hardware. Obviously on some machines the experience is going to be sub-par.

If Sony has part of their verification process be ensuring that a game runs competently on the older system, then you probably don't have too much to worry about. That said, looking at their current track record (Which has nothing to do with "playability" and only to ensure that a game doesn't crash) then there may be cause for concern.

If you want an example of how this could go horribly wrong, look at Hyrule Warriors Legends on the old 3DS.

I just don't get it. WHy fuck over the loyal people that bought the base PS4 and come out with this new iteration?

$$$

Basically this, if there is no 4k/uhd Bluray support, then it's bullshit. Sony developed the Bluray standard and the UHD one, they fucking need UHD support.

Yes it's still early and UHD bluray drive might still make it in the console, but the hw might come out next year, not a lot of time left for hw changes.

styl3s

So where are we all?
pS1NOWU.png

I'm at number 3 right now.
I started at 6. When and where do i throw my money.

I have been wanting shorter console cycles since about 4 years into the 360/ps3. Hopefully the 4K does well enough to warrant new consoles every 3-4 years with support for the previous console for 3-4 years giving 6-8 year life cycles. It's perfect IMO. Allow trade ins of previous consoles every time a new one comes out so you only have to pay $200.

Basically this, if there is no 4k/uhd Bluray support, then it's bullshit. Sony developed the Bluray standard and the UHD one, they fucking need UHD support.

Yes it's still early and UHD bluray drive might still make it in the console, but the hw might come out next year, not a lot of time left for hw changes.

Dev kits going out now don't need UHD.

Jonboy

Honest question...where does this mythical more powerful CPU come from?...

Does AMD have an APU capable of being designed around one of their desktop processors? Do they have a more powerful mobile CPU designed for APU applications?

The answers to both questions AFAIK...is a resounding no...

So unless they want to redesign the hardware to move away from an APU all together, they are stuck with Jaguar, with a healthy over clock...

I'm not a super technical guy by any means, so you could be completely right. I just know with the initial rumors here on GAF, Sony was weighing a slight CPU bump to sell at $399 or a completely new CPU for $499...according to the rumor, of course.

Omg.

sogood.gif

537.gif

Seriously though. Sony is about to kill its golden goose. No mid-cycle upgrade has ever worked with consoles, there's absolutely no reason to think this will be any different. Average players won't like the price, more committed gamers will be naturally pushed towards the PC.

Pay $800 in one generation (plus $2-300 for PS+) for 2 consoles or pay the same for slightly less than elite PC hardware that will do a better job?

I have a day 1 PS4 but haven't been thrilled with the offerings so far. Some good stuff but the best games I've played on it are Resogun and TLOU:R. A day 1 defender clone and a last gen port. This is my cue to exit console ownership, sell my PS4 and focus solely on PC gaming. And in the 1 year I've had my pc, I've played exponentially more and better games, and payed far less for them. It's no contest at this point.

Sony are just getting ahead of the game. The PS4 will continue to be the dominant platform, especially as it gets closer to $200.

What game? Whose saying that consoles have to go down this route instead of the one they've been on? Sony's sold the PS4 on the basis that it was the most straight forward console. No gimmicky shit like Nintendo and MS were trying to do. And that obviously worked.
This is true for every single console generation, whether it's three years or five.

It's not really true considering there's never been incremental step up consoles before. There was a PSone, 2, and 3, not a PSone, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5 and so on.

AMD have no reason to continue with their old fab processes, sony using obsolete tech would incur costs that'd be better spent on a faster chip from AMDs current/future fab processes.

Sony is not going to drop PS4 when they can drop the price and sell more consoles .
Obsolete tech or not a price is a big factor .
A $250 PS4 will do very good business .

Alienous

So either developers start with the PS4K as the lead platform, with 1080p being the target for that. We get prettier games, but PS4/XBO games suffer.

Or developers maintain PS4/XBO as lead platforms, and the PS4K gets a bump up to 1440p.

Those are really the two ways this can go, right? Neither seems all that appealing. It feels to me like the Nintendo NX would have to reach PS4K levels to make putting effort into the current gen and mid-current gen versions of a game worth it.

FuuRe

Called it

Wasn't the first one though, I think

Do I get a Tag or something?

So either developers start with the PS4K as the lead platform, with 1080p being the target for that. We get prettier games, but PS4/XBO games suffer.

Or developers maintain PS4/XBO as lead platforms, and the PS4K gets a bump up to 1440p.

I'd say the former since there are several times more 1080p capable sets than anything else at the moment, and a shift in that tendency would be quite rare during what remains of this gen.

So wasn't the Polaris 10 with 2304 shaders shown being near as strong as a Fury-level Gpu? Wouldn't that actually be easy 4k versions from current 1080p games? Even the R9 390x is close to doing that quite a bit. All assuming the thing is actually using Polaris. At the low tdp of ~100w tho, it kinda sounds like by that point, that Gpu would be like what the 7850 was to the other options in 2013; a mid-range option.

Polaris 10 was demoed running Hitman 1440p at 60 fps. I don´t know how that compares to other graphic chips.

Bsigg12

Interesting, so devs are forced to develop their games with an improved Neo mode?

Yes. Games releasing in late September are also supposed to be getting a patch to add support so there is now the thought that FFXV will receive a Neo update. Games can also ship earlier than that with a Neo mode included so that they're ready when it comes out.

It really is insane how much we know about Sony's next platform compared to how we know absolutely nothing about Nintendo's. It's like night and day.

It would be awesome if this thing was called PS NEO.

I'm such a sucker for console launches and I need this in my life.

PS NEO updates for NMS and Uncharted please.

hZnaRhU.jpg

It would be cool if Sony took the lead and not mandate but encourage all the Sony WWS to deploy NEO patches for all of the 1st & 2nd party games.

Jolkien

I'm in day one. If it release toward the end of 2016, with the NX and PSVR, I'm glad to make enough to afford all this.

Top Bottom