• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4 Pro vs PC 4K

Kaze2212

No it isn't. You said EVERYTHING. So everything is not everything? The comparison isn't stupid, the way you worded your argument is.

Well, I think comparing the PS4 Pro to a $400 PC is silly to begin with... But you need a TV or monitor ... whether you play on PC or PS4 Pro... so you could technically exclude that cost.

Lister

Banned
I'd love to see how a ~$400 PC stacks up to a PS4 Pro. The comparisons are interesting actually, but the hyperbole in here is rather childish. Also, aside from a few very specific scenes, as he said in the video, a lot of things are pretty damn close.

Well a $500 PC would do better than a PS4 Pro for sure, which is a $50 markup over the PS4 Pro + one year subscription to PS+.

And then of coruse all the other pros of PC gaming kick in, like the biggest library of highly rated exclusives of any platform, huge backwards compatibility, mods (Which are currently making my second playthrough DA:I bearable! thank you mods!), in addition to the better performance and graphics.

jdw_b

this is a fucking stupid comparison, and you know it
not even going to bother explaining to you why

lol don't get too mad buddy

You brought that response on with the 'EVERYTHING' stipulations.

I, like plenty of people I imagine, have a second TV which I bought to have consoles hooked up to it. So the standard "everyone already has TV's" doesn't really cut it

Why would people expect the PS4 Pro to match Very High settings in 4K? you need about 8TF to run the game in 4K with very high settings. PS4 don't match very high settings in 1080P why would pro match it in 4K?
Because Sony is showcasing the pro as something that exists to lure PC gamers over or keep console gamers from going to PC.

because that is a pointles comparison to make?
i was replying to someone that said :"you could buy a 400 dolalr gpu and it would be better than a ps4 pro"

if i wanna play games on my tv, how is a 400 dollar gpu going to get me anywhere? i dont have a pc to put it in
i just wanna play games that look pretty good on my new 4k tv

If you own a desktop PC that you bought in the least five or so years and you have $400 to spend then the comparison between a PS4p and a GPU applies to you. If you don't own a PC, it doesn't and you need to examine the overall value proposition.

"4K" with PS2 textures and effects.... nahh... just give us 1080p ultra settings and done. Let the TV 4K upscaler do their job.

ViolentP

Well, I think comparing the PS4 Pro to a $400 PC is silly to begin with... But you need a TV or monitor ... whether you play on PC or PS4 Pro... so you could technically exclude that cost.

He was very specific to demand everything. Even a controller on PC even though that is far from required. So I don't think it would be crazy to involve the display unit as even a $100 difference could determine the winner of this power category.

DooMAGE

Why would people expect the PS4 Pro to match Very High settings in 4K? you need about 8TF to run the game in 4K with very high settings. PS4 don't match very high settings in 1080P why would pro match it in 4K?

Sony is a advertising the PS4 Pro as a 4K Machine

Yikes that does not look good. I wonder if they're forcing developers to use lower quality assets since they don't have a 4k Blu Ray drive to deliver high quality assets to people without insane internet. Would regular Blu Ray be large enough to hold 4k assets as well as 1080p assets for games?

Exile20

Show me a build that would be even comparable.

A pc would cost more upfront but over time owning a ps4pro is far more expensive. Sales/free online. Plus the value you get out of a pc far outclases a ps4pro.

So yes a pc will cost more but it is far from outrageous.

If you already own a pc then a a gtx 1070 out performs the ps4 pro even if you have a i5 2500k.

Elandyll

Banned
Well a $500 PC would do better than a PS4 Pro for sure, which is a $50 markup over the PS4 Pro + one year subscription to PS+.

And then of coruse all the other pros of PC gaming kick in, like the biggest library of highly rated exclusives of any platform, huge backwards compatibility, mods (Which are currently making my second playthrough DA:I bearable! thank you mods!), in addition to the better performance and graphics.
Show me a $500 MSRP PC that can.

Pricepicker and the like are useless for direct comparisons, unless you will also compare to a discounted/ used console price level.

joecanada

not much to brag about here in either case. rocks look all fucked up, with weird angles, root growing right through a rock, etc, etc... sharp or not , this game looks a lot worse than I would have thought based on some previous threads here. if this is what you see with 4k I'd probably try to stick to 720p, at least then you don't have to see how jarring the environment is lol. Lara also looks like some kind of plastic doll.

Looks pretty damn good to me. Never got the point of zooming in so damn far to see things that normally wouldn't be that easy to spot in the first place. I know the PC version has to technically be superior, but I didn't spot anything too obvious in that footage that would imply the PS4 Pro is somehow doing a terrible job of handling the game. It looked pretty good, with solid performance.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Well a PC can do much much more than what a PS4 can do so there is value there and free online and better game sales.

Upfront cost of a pc will be more but it will be cheaper owning a pc than a PS4 Pro over a few years. Then you factor in when the PS5 comes around, PC can just upgrade the GPU a lot of the time. People are still rocking a i5 2500k.

PC is a bigger investment ofcourse.
Truest post in this thread.

For 400€ the PS4 Pro provides pretty good graphics. And just as there are people who are happy with owning a entry level gaming rig, there will always be some who need a 2k€/60fps+/4k-capable powerhorse. Thats the reason why some of the console-defenders in here can't understand pc owners complaing about the Pro's graphics. It's good for that price.
When one asks for "everything", it isn't our error when we provide what was asked.
Please dont pretend like you didn't exactly understand what he meant. If it makes you happy then add a 4k TV and a 4k capable Screen to each side of the calculation.

Exile20

Show me a $500 MSRP PC that can.

Pricepicker and the like are useless for direct comparisons, unless you will also compare to a discounted/ used console price level.

That is one of the pros of building a pc. The sales and buying parts from different stores to find the best price. Just because you have to pay msrp for a ps4 pro doesn't mean you have to do the same for a pc.

longdi

Banned
Does DF have a PS4p for direct captures?

Any case, PS4p have same amount of ram as PS4 and only slightly more memory bandwidth, so the textures wont be upgraded much.

The other shaders stuff should performance better.

And this already looking much higher in fidelity than PS4.

GreekWolf

Because Sony is showcasing the pro as something that exists to lure PC gamers over or keep console gamers from going to PC.

The Pro might be good enough to keep the Playstation fanbase from purchasing a budget or mid-tier gaming PC, but there's no realistic way it could dissuade anyone with the money for a capable rig.

Caayn

To me this is a bigger difference than the one shown in the OP. The missing fire and haze effects the atmosphere of that scene/part of the game.
rottr1dwphk.png

rottr273o6f.png

I wonder how the 'bells and whistles' and 60fps mode hold up. Bells and whistles mode should at least be a match for the 4K pc version outside of IQ and VXAO.

R aka Bon

When one asks for "everything", it isn't our error when we provide what was asked.

But that is ignoring the point of the message, the price argument. Although i do see your point as the poster did not state that fact. However it still doesn't benefit one or the other, as both could be played on a tv/monitor. But if it was just informative, then i get it. :)

coastel

It looks good enough, just would like to see it in person on a 4k hdr tv. Like some may have said it will be interesting to see if the ps4 pro is pushing any better settings than the standard ps4 aswell as it being a higher resolution.

Elandyll

Banned
That is one of the pros of building a pc. The sales and buying parts from different stores to find the best price. Just because you have to pay msrp for a ps4 pro doesn't mean you have to do the same for a pc.
So we're going to pretend that consoles can't be bought discounted or used just... because?

I paid $209 for my brand new PS4 Uncharted bundle last year.

STEaMkb

Nobody should be surprised by this. A £400 console cannot do 4K gaming at all, definitely not 4K gaming at the quality of a good PC. An upscaled image just can't compare.

You understand the above shot is highlighting texture quality, and not wether or not the Pro is capable of 4K gaming, right?

Yikes that does not look good. I wonder if they're forcing developers to use lower quality assets since they don't have a 4k Blu Ray drive to deliver high quality assets to people without insane internet. Would regular Blu Ray be large enough to hold 4k assets as well as 1080p assets for games?

That's definitely not the issue here. You could get a 100+GBs on a bluray with multiple layers. We have large games on PC right now, but that's certainly not the issue.

Lister

Banned
So we're going to pretend that consoles can't be bought discounted or used just... because?

Receipts?

And you're still goal post moving, or cna we price out used ebay/craiglist/refurbished components too?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The PS4 pro footage looks like an amalgamation of every single preset.

Some things look comparable to very high, others look like they're lower than low.

Overall though I would say it looks nice for what it is trying to do.

To me this is a bigger difference than the one shown in the OP. The missing fire and haze effects the atmosphere of that scene/part of the game.
rottr1dwphk.png

rottr273o6f.png

I wonder how the 'bells and whistles' and 60fps mode hold up. Bells and whistles mode should at least be a match for the 4K pc version outside of IQ and VXAO.
...... Yikes

ViolentP

Please dont pretend like you didn't exactly understand what he meant. If it makes you happy then add a 4k TV and a 4k capable Screen to each side of the calculation.

When he explicitly asked to add a controller to a PC build, any assumption goes out the door as it is obvious he is asking for everything. As if typing it "EVERYTHING" wasn't evidence enough of the fact.

But that is ignoring the point of the message, the price argument. Although i do see your point as the poster did not state that fact. However it still doesn't benefit one or the other, as both could be played on a tv/monitor. But if it was just informative, then i get it. :)

It was something to clarify before offering build options. Fact is, if there were even a $100 difference in total cost of entry, it could potentially be enough to swing favor from one platform to another. So in the interest of being realistic, I asked about the display factor. I wasn't being an ass, I wanted a realistic comparison of the two.

But he chalked it up as pedantry, grabbed his ball and went home. Shows me that regardless of the outcome of the comparison, his mind was already made.

Exile20

I never said you can't but putting some arbitrary rule that you can't buy parts on sale is stupid as the guy I was responding to.

If I build a pc the same time the PS4 Pro comes out, good luck finding a PS4 Pro for $200.

Nzyme32

I really don't know what some people expect.

For the $400 price, PS4 Pro is a reasonable step up but has to make some obvious compromises to even reach a higher resolution suitable for whatever technique is used to then scale to 4K. While certainly not rendering at native 4K, the compromise still allows for significantly better quality and utilisation of a 4K display than an a standard PS4.

There should not be an expectation that PS4 Pro will render at native 4K or utilise the same level of quality that is achievable on a high end PC for the majority of games that are quite demanding as it is.

I do hope people are able to watch the video and realize that I'm being objective here. It's just about pointing out differences, not slamming the PS4 Pro.

You shouldn't even have to mention this at all.

Lister

Banned
I figured this thread might bring out the mad PS4 fanboys, but man. There's nothing wrong with the comparison, or reaosn to be upset that there are large differences. Or reaosn to be surprised for that matter. I don't get it.

And ti wa sSony who couched the PS4 Pro as a way to retain performance/graphics enthusiast in their ecosystem, not anyone else.

MaLDo

show me a 400 dollar pc that can play games at ps4 settings
it has to include EVERYTHING required to play. including a controller
no mobo/ram/gpu/cpu combo without a psu or case etc like people tend to do

What message are you replying for?

What I mean is someone that bought a PS2, a PS3 a PS4 and a PS4 Pro, the service to play online and every game at console price surely will have paid more than someone who has updated several times his PC keeping old components and buying games at pc price where he can play every game released even before the PS2.

For example, I have a 2700K oced at 5Ghz for 4 years. I bought it for less than the cost of a PS4. A few weeks ago I bought a GTX1080 for 640€. My current setup has more than twice the performance in the gpu compared to a PS4Pro and more than twice the performance on the cpu side too and I've only spend 640€ in hardware and services in four years.

DooMAGE

rottr1dwphk.png

rottr273o6f.png

This is even worse, so much compromises

This thread will be about the comparisons rather than what's been said.

You get, at 4k that is, what you're paying for. At least there is an option at 1080p which will probably look better when it comes to assets and effects.
60fps dicsussion for consoles is getting old. If you want 60fps, go PC. Devs prioritize graphics over fps.

Well, I hope this is PS4 Pro's 4k mode. Then this is exactly what you'll get and should expect. Both from PS4 Pro and Scorpio, btw.

If that't the 1080/30 mode, well, I might give my pre-order another thought.

People are misunderstanding sony's statement about PCs big time. I thought it was pretty clear it was about making the gap smaller.

Consoles this gen came out super weak. I'm not even a pc gaming enthusiast, but my modest pc was substantially more powerful than the ps4 and I built it a year before the ps4 release.

I think they know if the gap is ridiculous it might start losing customers to building modest PCs. So they're targeting that group. The on the fence modest PC crowd. Keep them on the console side by offering an affordable upgrade.

x-Lundz-x

It's a comparison thread on a DF video. If people comparing the 2 offends your sensibilities why are you in here?

Just observations about comments, not the face off itself. Don't even try and tell me this board doesn't have problems with PC Elitism.

I mean if we want to have a fair comparison let's have them build a 400 dollar PC and rerun this same face off and let's all have a good laugh at those pathetic PC owners then right?

cheezcake

Breaking News: $400 device performa like a $400 device, I swear we went through the exact same thing when PS4 first came out.

//DEVIL//

"4K" with PS2 textures and effects.

lol shots fired.

I agree though. I would gladly take 1080 with better texture over that. even a 1200$ card alone cant handle all games on ultra 4k and 60 fps. 200$ card on a ps 4 pro sure wont do shit related to 4k.

CrazE

Banned
This looks really Damn good for a 399 console. Any one expecting this to look like the PC version running with high end hardware that costs double or triple the PS4 Pro - is being ridiculous.

If that's really damn good, well damn.

Top Bottom