• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs GTAV on XONE - performance analysis

The PS4 having some more foliage isn't in question, I'd expect it too considering the res/fps parity, there would have had to have been some overheads cut somewhere, but.....

I am struggling to find anywhere that looks remotely as barren as those original grassgate shots, I am intrigued where they were taken, and by whom.

With all the evidence we have it's time to lay your conspiracy theories to rest.

bAD1AC0.gif
giphy.gif

danowat

Banned
With all the evidence we have it's time to lay your conspiracy theories to rest.

It's not a conspiracy theory, I am genuinely interested where those shots were taken.

Quite happy to find the place and eat humble pie, but I want to see it for myself.

Mastperf

so...... last year, a great and very vocal part of GAF was 1000% certain that as time passed,
the gap that was present at day 1 games (cod: ghosts / bf4) would only WIDEN as time passed.

cue today, you really need to search to find something to say.
you really need to pull it from its hair to make a thing about it.

conclusion: next gen, tame your expectations better.
Would you mind backing that up with some proof? I don't recall anyone worth listening to ever claiming that the 720p-1080p gap with cod: ghosts would widen with future titles.

GHG

so...... last year, a great and very vocal part of GAF was 1000% certain that as time passed,
the gap that was present at day 1 games (cod: ghosts / bf4) would only WIDEN as time passed.

So now an upscaled last gen port is indicative of the gap getting smaller?

Driveclub photo mode release hit you hard?

The only game we could truly judge it on was AC Unity (next-gen only cross-platform), which as we've learned, was all about parity. All other games are cross-gen.

The true competition will occur with The Witcher 3.

d9b

Banned
We just spent a couple hours doing a recording for our channel and seeing them side by side. This is exactly what we saw except the framedrops in the city were instantly noticable on the PS4 version. I mean instantly. While the grass was instantly noticeable in some areas when we looked for them on the Xbox one. Lighting on the PS4 is...different at times I like its softer look but at night it looks odd at times.

I love the extra grass but even think the Xbox One handles it well as both games really have a ton compared to last gen.
I'm subscribed to your YT channel, can't wait to watch your take on GTA V next gen.

Toki767

The only game we could truly judge it on was AC Unity (next-gen only cross-platform), which as we've learned, was all about parity. All other games are cross-gen.

The true competition will occur with The Witcher 3.

Well there is Shadow of Mordor considering a different studio handled the last gen versions.

spwolf

Except for people who actually prefer the DS4 I guess? Can't tell sometimes if people are joking.

DF also updated their article (as mentionned a few posts above) to indicate that yes, the PS4 version also has less framerate drops (not that there were really many on XB1), but also a Lens Flare effect that looks to be missing on XB1.

They are "looking" into the grass thing.

Also, maybe it's my eyes, but the actual lighting looks better on PS4 it seems. Now it could very well just be a matter of time of day, sure. But it's not the color tints or light harshness, but more the lighting "quality"... Looks more natural to me. #shrug

m5QfIhd.png

Do you run slower in PS4 version? If not, XB1 is more realistic.

It's not a conspiracy theory, I am genuinely interested where those shots were taken.

Quite happy to find the place and eat humble pie, but I want to see it for myself.

Jesus...I wake up hours later and you're still asking people to point you to where these very real differences are occurring. In the time you've been here, you could have already found it. Lol.
--------------------

There is a guy on N4G claiming that the PS4 version has less grass based off the comparison shots earlier in this thread that clearly show otherwise. Watching people in denial, to the point where their eyes actually fool them, is pretty interesting. Lol.

goonergaz

OMG, you think folk have faked a gif...it would have taken hours to do and for what reason? That'd be one sad puppy right there. But to add to that we've seen more gifs pop up showing similar things and then even people who own both saying they see the differences...what more do you want!?

Jack cw

Don't know if it was posted but DF updated their article with a short PS4 info:
UPDATE 18/11/14 4:30pm:
We've completed work on an initial performance analysis of the PlayStation 4 version of Grand Theft Auto 5, which you can find embedded below. At first blush, we're looking at a very similar release to the Xbox One version - with only one really noticeable difference, the implementation of a lens flare effect that appears either absent or dialled back on Xbox One. Frame-rate is confirmed at 30fps, though the rare dropped frames seen on Xbox One are even less of an issue here. We're working through the game as quickly as we can and our journeys are taking us out of the city, so yes, we're definitely looking into stuff like this and will report back when we have more to share.

danowat

Banned
So you clearly missed this:

7LRrjB3.gif

Created by people in this very thread.

That looks more like it, I've never said that the PS4 version doesn't have more foliage (word of the week), but that other picture makes it look very different, makes it look like the xbox one it completely barren, which it's not.

And with that, I am done with grassgate!

http://i.imgur.com/7LRrjB3.gif

Is Franklin suppose to be bald in the Xbox One version? If so, that is pretty funny.

But no real surprise at there being less foliage in the Xbox One version. By the looks of it Rockstar chose a solid 30fps + 1080p over more details and something like a 900p resolution and potentially an unstable framerate. There's got to be a tradeoff somewhere.

That looks more like it, I've never said that the PS4 version doesn't have more foliage (word of the week), but that other picture makes it look very different, makes it look like the xbox one it completely barren, which it's not.

But it clearly is that barren. Why are you denying what is clearly visible? From the side-view shot, you can see that it's completely barren for a few feet behind the player, but you can't see behind the player in the shot you just quoted, only in front...so how do you know it's not barren behind him, just like it is in the side-view shot?

Ricky_R

Regardless of how barren that picture that seems to be messing with your head makes the Xbone version look or not, it's real.

You can let go, really.

I think this topic has gotten so absurd that it's actually hilarious.

However, one thing I just absolutely LOVE is the way "the game is CPU bound" has. Become a thing that people throw out now. Thanks Ubisoft!

7LRrjB3.gif

It seems the PS4 version is also easier on the yes.. smoother. Does the XboxOne version have more shimmering and aparent jaggies? look at the map icon for instance. And the hard edges of the vegetation.

hepburn3d

Is anyone else blown away by how exactly placed the foliage is??? I mean in both versions you can see that root on the far bottom left in the same place :| i thought it would be procedural generated. Well impressed

Tfault

But it clearly is that barren. Why are you denying what is clearly visible? From the side-view shot, you can see that it's completely barren for a few feet behind the player, but you can't see behind the player in the shot you just quoted, only in front...so how do you know it's not barren behind him, just like it is in the side-view shot?

“Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it.” - George R.R. Martin,

ekim

It seems the PS4 version is also easier on the yes.. smoother. Does the XboxOne version have more shimmering and aparent jaggies? look at the map icon for instance. And the hard edges of the vegetation.

Captures come from 2 different users so maybe different equipment making screenshots, different compression etc...

Top Bottom