• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs Xbox One S

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
So this means PS4 Vanilla titles should get a 13% GPU boost on NEO as well. I though Sony would downclock the cpu and gpu and disable the CUs for compatibitly, but it looks like downclocking the gpu is not necessary. 13% is quite good, only bad thing is that most PS4 titles are bottlenecked by the cpu anyways...

It's an interesting thought, I'm surprised they could boost it without breaking anything. I would've assumed some title somewhere would break but I suppose not. It's a good sign for games that never get updated I guess, if older titles really can get improved performance without specific support there's some hope for games I didn't think had any.

Xion86

Great to hear! Looking forward to going home to set it all up :). Replacing our current 4k upscaling Blu-ray player with the Xbox One S. Not really made much use of my Xbox One since launch, I can see myself playing on it even more now though.

NeOak

And the beginning of the end of my console support days has begun.

Way to drive me to go full PC MS/Sony! At least it will save me money in the long run.
Hahahahahahahaha

With GPU upgrades every 2 years plus full PC every 4?

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Potentially dumb question: is the PS4 Neo supposed to have a UHD disc drive as well? That's been the one feature I've been interested in for the XBox One S, but if the Neo will have it then I don't really need to upgrade to this.

Let's keep things in perspective guys. There was a 7 FPS boost in one part of one game, but many (most?) games show little to no performance increase:

It doesn't matter. Somewhere, someone is playing an incrementally better version of a game. Someone's life is inevitably wrecked right now. Have some sympathy!

Curufinwe

Xbox One: 1.31 teraflops
Xbox One S: 1.4 teraflops
PS4: 1.84 teraflops

So MS are still giving up a 30% advantage to Sony, almost three years after Penello insisted that was an impossibility.

That "uphill battle" we were supposed to be fighting, turned out to be a ski slope.

Three

So much for no performance difference before the S released.

Also this idea that the PS4 is louder is simply not true according to even digital foundry. This was with a launch PS4.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hardware-test-playstation-4
PS4

Noise: Close
Idle 42dB
Blu-ray 42dB
Gaming 51dB
Game + UI 53dB

Noise: 1 metre
Idle 40dB
Blu-ray 40dB
Gaming 42dB
Game + UI 42dB

Noise: 3 metres
Idle 40dB
Blu-ray 40dB
Gaming 41dB
Game + UI 41dB

Project Cars
Xbox One S Noise 47dB
Xbox One Noise 44dB

Tomb Raider (Digital)
Xbox One S Noise 45dB
Xbox One Noise 42dB

Blu-ray Playback
Xbox One S Noise 47dB
Xbox One Noise 43dB

UHD Blu-ray Playback
Xbox One S Noise 49dB

If you have a noticeably loud PS4 you should consider cleaning the perimeter holes. Ofcourse when it comes to games the different performance and demands of the games makes this comparison difficult but in like for like scenarios such as watching a blu-ray movie your launch PS4 should be quiter than an XB1 and much quiter than a XB1S.

So this means PS4 Vanilla titles should get a 13% GPU boost on NEO as well. I though Sony would downclock the cpu and gpu and disable the CUs for compatibitly, but it looks like downclocking the gpu is not necessary. 13% is quite good, only bad thing is that most PS4 titles are bottlenecked by the cpu anyways...
Ps4 games on neo should get even bigger improvements.

However, the leaked presentation mentions that the game has to be patched to support the neo mode, otherwise the system won't give the game any additional resources.

Hahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Well, if you're aiming for consoles performance, you won't need to upgrade for 6 years, at least.

PC gaming is not always about aiming for the highest tech available. If people want to save money, they can do so with PC too.

But if you're really serious about this comment, I guess there's no reason for me to pass you the insight.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
After seeing this my brother ran out and used the Best Buy trade in deal to get the 2tb one, gonna hold off for the red gears ones myself to go with my uncharted ps4

Asmodai48

Where are you getting 13% from...? Neo is way stronger than PS4.

Potentially dumb question: is the PS4 Neo supposed to have a UHD disc drive as well? That's been the one feature I've been interested in for the XBox One S, but if the Neo will have it then I don't really need to upgrade to this.

Not a dumb question, we do not know yet. But I would be surprised if it did not, Pushing 4K features while not have 4K drive would be very strange. Also Sony have 4K TVs to sell.

shanew21

Rumored to, but nothing confirmed. Sony would be stupid not to include it.

Stability and added heat could be an issue on the xbone og as every chip handles things differently depending on where you are on the silicon wafer.

They could afford the bump in clocks around release due to the good cooling design that they had implemented.
Yeah, but the cooling solution is still not stressed out. It would certainly increase the noise up, but there's plenty of cooling room with the current design.

goonergaz

Ps4 games on neo should get even bigger improvements.

However, the leaked presentation mentions that the game has to be patched to support the neo mode, otherwise the system won't give the game any additional resources.

I'm not sure the GPU running at a faster speed would be classed as resources, it's like overclocking a GPU vs flashing it to unlock cores.

shanew21

A year from now, and it remains to be seen what Scorpio's library will be like in its first launch period.
I do find that interesting. Does it launch with a whole slate of new games like a traditional console, or is it more of an upgraded version of the current games? I know there aren't any exclusives, but will developers treat this as something new?

cackhyena

A year from now, and it remains to be seen what Scorpio's library will be like in its first launch period.

It will be everything that's already come before, and a few titles right around the corner. No one is expecting a new console type of "launch lineup".

cheezcake

Hahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahahahaha

I got my PC in 2010, upgraded my GPU in 2014 and added an SSD. To this day I use the same PC. In that entire time period it has never been weaker than the most powerful console on market, at worst it was equal to PS4 performance in that 2014 period where I hadn't upgraded my GPU. I don't even buy super high end cards lol it was just a GTX 570 into a 970, backed up by an i5 2500k.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
With Neo and Scorpio coming as well, let's just say our tests are about to become much, much more time consuming.

I would probably have upgraded if I didn't know the Scorpio was coming.

With this news it seems that all Xbox One games could benefit even more from Scorpio improvements. Will Project Cars reach that locked 60? Will backwards compatible games all run at better than original speeds?

Hope the Scorpio can run silently too. I love how quiet the current Xbox One is, I'm a little sad to hear that the S is louder.

Looking forward to it. I don't really intend to buy a 4k any time soon but a lot can change in the next year.

Top Bottom