• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age announced for the West in 2018

deleted

So I guess this'll be on PS4 and Switch and 3DS if Nintendo pays for localisation there?

They did all the work to cultivate a fanbase on 3DS in the West so far. Would be a shame if they didn't cash in on it.

Raw64life

Fucking finally!!!!!!!

Of course they waited until the day after I caved and imported the 3DS version. And no platforms announced of course.

Sadly, this is certainly a huge improvement over the nearly 3 ears they waited to announce the DQ7 remake.

Any other company would have announced this at E3 if the decision was made months ago

Par for the course from Square-Enix USA. They announced Dragon Quest Heroes II three days after the huge PS Experience event back in January via a tweet and literally nothing else.

FelipeMGM

Can we assume the localisation does not take too long, because there is no voice work?

no, and the whole video is about how this localization has been taking a lot of work lol,

"The game is currently being localized into 5 languages, including English. There's quite a lot of text, so it's an exorbitant amount of work."

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

WuAmoiV_d.jpg

Ydelnae

Can we assume the localisation does not take too long, because there is no voice work?

They included voice work for the localized version of DQVIII, which feature VA in its original Japanese release. Theres a chance we are getting it with DQXI too, since it was well received by western fans unlike the Japanese fan base, which was not specially fond of voiced DQ games.

Eolz

I would say no money in the world would convince SE to not bring the PS4 version. They are one of the developers who are massively supporting PS4 this gen.

They are supporting the switch and 3ds as much, that's not the point.
The point is that a PS4 version only in Japan is not really viable.

They included voice work for the localized version of DQVIII, which feature VA in its original Japanese release. Theres a chance we are getting it with DQXI too, since it was well received by western fans unlike the Japanese fan base, which was not specially fond of voiced DQ games.
This would be cool but I don't see it happening. The days of SE pushing DQ hard in the West are gone, expect no addition goodies included with this localization.

Cyframe

We've come a long way from fans begging for Dragon Quest 7 for years. I'm thankful for a quick notice of localization.

Fucking finally!!!!!!!

Of course they waited until the day after I caved and imported the 3DS version. And no platforms announced of course.

Sadly, this is certainly a huge improvement over the nearly 3 ears they waited to announce the DQ7 remake.

DQ7 was an exception in how long it took for a localization announcement, most of the rest of the entries that made it over were announced much earlier.

This is an **OFFLINE** mainline entry so a western release announcement was pretty much a lock-on, the only question was when they'd announce it. I'm actually surprised they announced it right on release day, rule of thumb says localization announcements happen almost always after the game is out in Japan.

I can't see why we won't be getting both PS4 and 3DS though, rather than just PS4.

Or dates.

You're talking about SE - them announcing any dates this early is 100% meaningless.

I'm happy. Sadly they missed out the most important part: plattforms. I really hope they'll bring all versions. Because I really wanted to play them all.

LordKano

Is confirmed that PS4 and 3DS dialogs are exactly the same?

Story, characters, events, cutscenes, NPCs, villages etc. are the same for both games so yes, maybe there's a few differences (especially in the exclusive content) but the major part is identical.

muteki

Don't see me getting it on anything but PS4 unless the Switch version magically catches up and releases same day in the west.

Ridley327

Announcing a western release the day that it releases in Japan is progress!

I'd assume that the lack of platform announcements points to the Switch version releasing alongside the other ones in the west and the news about them not announcing more until the fall suggests that they want to give the actual Switch port announcement for Japan its own little window. No, it makes no sense, but that's been par for the course for Squenix.

mejin

They are supporting the switch and 3ds as much, that's not the point.
The point is that a PS4 version only in Japan is not really viable.

Sure. I just said I don't believe SE would exclude PS4 version for the western market. That's all.

Game should be million seller in Japan on PS4 and Asia should embrace it too. This is the best moment to launch the game for PS4 there anyway.

Top Bottom